Mars Hill, NC

Mars Hill University

« See more reviews of Mars Hill University

As a high school senior, I believed that college was a daunting, paperwork infused task. To solidify my irrational fear of higher education settings, I was offered a full-time position at the bank where I worked through high school and took them up on it immediately. My rationale was that I would work at this decent paying job until my anxiety subsided and then I would waltz forward to college. Bad idea! If I could be my High School self today, I would scream, "GO NOW AND DO NOT WAIT!" Suddenly, I was an undereducated adult with an unfulfilling job. I now know that college is an amazing experience. The students are diverse, the subjects educate in areas unprecedented, and there is nothing that is impossible! My professors have come from a myriad of different backgrounds expanding my borders just from discussion. The college experience has helped me fill in holes of the past and understand my ever-changing world. I am so grateful and lucky to have the chance to get my degree now but definitely wish I had spent my younger years pursuing education toward a valuable career. Thank you for your consideration in awarding this scholarship.

First of all, make sure the academic setting is right for you. If you learn best in small classrooms, a large university probably isn't the right school for you. Make sure the library offers everything you think you would ever need for research projects and papers, and that the school has a dependable network and internet access. Once you've explored all academic aspects of the school, make sure that the extracurricular activities offered through the school and the community-based activities relate to your interests. If you can't find a place to plug in an get invovled, you may find your social life suffering and you can typically then become unhappy. Find a school with a lot of school spirit. Speaking from experience, it is not too much fun to go to an athletic event and only be surrounded by twenty of your fellow classmates. Get excited and be proud of your school. Choose a school that offers your desired major, has good academic settings and programs, offers extracurricular activities that interest you, and has a sense of school pride. Chances are if you find all of these, you will be happy during your college experience.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to budget my money and apply for as many scholarships as I can. I would tell myself that budgeting money is very important because pell grant may not be enough to cover everything. Sometimes students may have to use their own money for tuition, fees, and books. If a student does not pay all of their tuition and fees by the chosen deadline, it may cause them to be dropped from their classes. As far as books go, they are not as cheap as one may think, even at community colleges. Students really do need them in order to pass their classes. It is important for future college students and current college students to apply for scholarships as well. Scholarship money is very beneficial. No matter what the amount is, one should still apply. There are numerous scholarships out there for everyone. All in all, as a full time student, I have learned that it is important to save up and get as much help as I can.

If I were to go back into time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would talk about classes, time management, and opportunities. Now that I am in college, I am realizing how difficult it is to be on your own and using your time wisely to do homework, studying, sports, extra curricular activities and having a social life. What I should know is to study atleast one hour for each class every day and to do homework on time. Using time management is a key part of being able to survive college. If not, you may fall behind in classes and possibly fall into academic probation. If I need any help with a class and cannot find a tutor, student support services will provide me with a free tutor. There are chances to earn extra credit in a class by going to the writing and math center for that assignment. There are many opportunities that students should know so that they may go learn more about it before joining. These are key things that I should know as a high school senior before attending a college to learn what I should do to make that transition.

Austin I love you so much. Please do us a favor and don't attempt or even think about awful ways in which you could end our life. You meet the best people in the world. They love you for you, and you don't have to pretend anymore. Be who you are. You are gay and you have to accept that. College is so much better than high school. You have more freedom and more time to meet people who love you. I won’t lie to you. The college you attend is a bit on the conservative side and being gay will be frowned upon. But Austin it doesn't matter because you have gained so much confidence in yourself it’s amazing. You are so revolutionary, so awesome that you deserve to live. I know that high school was difficult and obstacles seemed to only build up with no way through. But please remember what your brother use to say “you are no different than the ones that surround you, who are they to judge.” Austin life gets better trust me, you meet someone special who loves your personality, wisdom, creativity and he especially loves your heart.

I believe you need to pick the college that you could see yourself living at. Make sure you take a tour of every college you are interested in and get your applications in on time. When you tour the school, picture yourself for instance in the cafeteria eating with your friends, or on the quad just hanging out and see if it feels right. Also, never go to a college for someone else. Don't go to a school cause your parents, a significant other, or even a friend. You should pick a school for yourself only. There are a lot of ways to make the most of your college experience. One of the main things is to get out of your dorm room the first year! You may be a little apprehensive about meeting new people and trying new things, but I think thats a great way to get an amazing experience. Play a sport, or if your not into sports, join a club or group. Also don't just take classes from your major. Take ones that you might just want to take for fun. And be willing to explore strange and new beliefs. It might be fun.

Dear, Austin Davis Hi my name is Austin Davis, because I am you from the future. Well unfortunatley you were not accepted to Chapel Hill. But thats besides the point. You were accepted to Mars Hill college. Its a great school don't get me wrong, but its not every thing you hoped for. They don't have Botany as they forgot to update their website, but they do have Biology. But the best part is you make lots of friends ( don't believe me just as your two knew besties Val and Bethany) who think you are totally awesome LOL. The number one rule that both of us seem to always break is being too hard on ourselves. Please do not stress about making friends, or if people are going to judge you. Its life, there are ignorant people around you 24/7. Secondly, Austin put back that paper shredder it not needed, our dorm is not an apartment LOL. also don't be worried about your roommate he's pretty decent and NO austin he is not stuck up, or abnoxious. Relax Austin. college will be just fine, and no I am totally not lying to you !

Everyone is looking for a different experience. In order to make the most of yours, make a list of the things you want to with your life, future career goals, current social life ideas, etc, and compare it to the schools you are considering and what they have to offer related to these things. Talk candidly with students at the schools before making your final decision. Once you have selceted your school, go and don't hold back! BE YOURSELF! Rememer that everyone there is or was just like you. Your the new kid, but so are all the other freshman! Make friends! Do all the cheesey get-to-know games and oreitnations and social events held the few weeks of school! Don't be a recluse! Do your school work but also make time for extra-curricular activities, football games, open gyms, book groups or whatever club you might be in to! Dig around campus and find your niche, but don't stop there! Constantly expand your circle of friends and activities! Also, it's ok to call mommy every once in a while!

If I could talk to my highschool self, there's definitely a couple of things I would tell her. The first thing I'd say is, even though you've taken A.P. and honors classes your entire educational career, do not think you can easily breeze through college courses, and do no sign up for more than you think you can handle. I chose alot of advanced courses my first semester that I wish I could take back. I'd also tell me to make sure I registered for classes early enough, that I didnt end oup forced to take an 8 a.m. class- they're the worst! But my most important piece of advice would be, to just be myself, and not try to impress others by drinking too much, and partying too much, because the same people I was trying to impress so hard, ended up flunking out of college, or on academic probation. Just be myself, and do not rush into friendships with people I do not feel free to be at liberty around. It will be better in the long run, in my relationships and in my classes.

Dear Self, I hope this letter finds you in time, because it is a few things I would like to tell you before you step into a new chapter in your life. Let me start of by saying, continue to be focus and it will award you in the near future. Never give up on anything including track and field. You may not want to run anymore or the coach may not be what you thought. You do not want it to be a regret. Keep education first. Set your alarm, because mom is not going to call every morning. I must warn you she does get upset when you do not go to class. Some professor will push you, but most of the time you will have to push yourself. Do not be afraid to try new things. Have fun, but make sure you do your homework first. Take my advice, do not wait for the night before to start a five pages paper. You are about to graduate, and you more than prepare. You will make mistakes, but to become an adult you must learn from it. Just never give up. Love, Future You