Mars Hill, NC

Mars Hill University

« See more reviews of Mars Hill University

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about everything college, the main points that I would address with myself is that college isn't cheap and to do more to help pay for it. I could tell my past self how it stinks that I can't hang out with my friends when I want to because I have work-study and I have to work t help pay for my education. I would tell my past self that money doesn't grow on trees, and that all the scholarships and money that I could have applied to from my high school to help pay for college. Another topic that I would discuss would have to be looking into more colleges that suited me and my "conditions". I would tell myself to do more investigating on every school that I applied too. I would tell myself about some basic college information such as it's okay to ask for help when I need it, whether its asking for help in a class that I'm failing behind in or something as little as to where I can find the Dean of Students.

Back when I was just an eighteen year old high school senior there was a lot of advice I needed. I was more involved in my social life and reputation to where I stopped worrying about school. I decided to just go to my local community college until I got my life figured out. I wanted big things, but I didn't feel like working for them. Nowadays I'm living on my own in North Carolina tweleve hours away from home while attending my dream college in my dream state. If I could go back I would simply tell myself to keep my head up and assure myself that all the hardship I was going through would all pay off in the end. I wouldn't go back and tell myself to change anything. I am very happy with where I am and who I am today. If I would go back and change anything that would most likely alter where I am today in my life. If there's one thing I've learned is that you have to learn and grow from your mistakes. That's exactly what I do and have done.

Make sure that a visit to the school is made. Try and notice things outside of what they show you on a tour beacuse that really tells you what the school is like. Make sure that the school really makes you feel good about being there by the time you go home, if you don't feel like you would be happy then don't choose that school no matter how much money they offer you. The four years spent in college will be amazing if you are happy and there will be a desire to perform better. Find places that will help you get involved in the things you like. If they dont have clubs you enjoy see if you can start some if you attend there. Mostly though, I would tell parents and students to be critical because no school is as perfect as it seems. It is easy with today's networks like facebook and myspace to find currently attending students and find out how things are going on campus from someone who isn't trying to sell it to you.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to be mature. My first year of school wasn't the easiest for me. I hated the school I was attending, I disliked my teachers and I didn't feel like I was making many friends. All of these things were odd for me because school always came easy, and I'm a people person. Because of my dislike of the school I didn't want to go to classes and I didn't do any work. In the end I dropped out of school. I spent the next semester working and it was during that time that I really started to appreciate school. Since I no longer had the comfort of education I craved it even more. It's because of the things that happened that molded me into the student that I am now. Even if I dislike a professor a class I know that in order to stay and get my education I have to be a mature adult and do it anyway. After a year of failure, and a semester of longing I am now back in school with a 4.0!

Where ever you decide to go, always remember that your education is the main priority. Maintain focused and work hard. Never get discouraged because things will get tough and fruststrating. College is a whole new ball game that will give you some of the best and most trying times of your life. You will make life long friendships and spend more hours studying for your classes than you would have ever thought to be possible! Though your studies will be very important, you will also spend a large amount of this time discovering who you are as a person. I urge you to get involved around campus and attend soical gatherings to open your mind and experience the hidden diverse cultures of the world around you. By making new connections and engraving those eternal bonds of friendship, your college will feel like your new home away from home.

As a high school senior I always knew what I wanted to do with my life and what I wanted to get out of my college experience. Now, however, as a college student I have become more aware of things around me, people I meet, and place I go as well as the impact I can potentially have on all of them. If I could go back in time in order to talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to no be so naiive. When coming into college I felt that everything was good and I never boldly questioned those in authority positions. I followed the rules always and did it with a closed mouth and mind. In college I have learned that authority may not always have my or society's interest in mind and as a high school senior I think it would have been better for me to know and understand that coming into college as a freshman.

Narrow down your college search to specific things you are looking for such as size, religious affiliation, distance from home, majors and minors. After applying to many colleges within your interest range compare how they respond to your admission. See if there is a personal caring response and if your questions can be answered before you make any decisions. Once you move into school attend the orientation and social events set up by the school. You may have to step out of your comfort zone to meet new people, but it is totally worth it. Attend a variety of social events and be out in open areas instead of staying in your room to meet new people. And don't go home on your first weekend at school, even if it is really tempting. Staying at school will help you make connections with other students at your school.

As my High School self, I would say "Just go for it anyway!!" When I was in High School, I had excellent grades but my social life was unstable. I had people surrounding me that were not supportive and even blocked my attempts to go to college. I also had a great job in High School that followed me after graduation and I felt like it would be a career instead of a job. However, the unsupportive people eventually faded away, as did the career opportunities at my workplace simply because I did not have a degree to support the higher positions. As a High School Senior, I was not able to see the benefit of going to college right away, whereas now it is so plain! I wish I would have known to follow my heart and not listen to those that steered me away from successfully achieving my degree at that time.

First, I would tell the very naive and somewhat immature me to prepare for college earlier. I would encourage myself to take full advantage of all of the prep courses and other services offered to dy students become college ready. Second, I would rethink some of the choices I made as a high school senior, and take a more direct path towards my post secondary education. Last of all, I would submit and apply for scholarships and grants, and participate in more community service activities to help me qualify for financial aid. If I could go back in time I would tell myself, "Jalen, college is vital to your future. Stay focused, set goals and most of all press forward with discipline and reslience for no matter what obstacles you may encounter, you can do all things with God as your helper."

The fisrt answer that comes to mind when asked the question: "what advice would you give yourself?" almost everyone will say that I would ahve studied alot harder in High school. Everyone goes through a different life style and different situations while they are in high school. My situtaion was different from most of the stdents because of the financial struggles that my widowed father had to go through and I had to be there to give him my support. The advice that I would have given my slef would be that I could have studied harder of course and could have gotten a btter GPA to transfer to a good school. Its never too late to realizae and I am glad that now i'm working to imporve my life style by getting a college education and trying my best.