Mars Hill, NC

Mars Hill University

« See more reviews of Mars Hill University

If I could go back to my senior year of high school with the knowledge that I have aquired about college life and making the transition I would advice myself a couple of different things. Being more organized would be one of them. I wouldn't have packed so much to bring to school, the rooms are not as big as I had thought they would be. I would also advice myself to start pushing myself harder in high school. The work in college is much different and is required to be done in a shorter amount of time. Always trustin in God, at first it seemed like college was something I just wasn't going to be able to accomplish, but in the end God was by my side the whole way and he never gave me any thing that I couldn't handle.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have three pieces of advice. First, grades are important! There are great scholarships available for students with good grades. And, much of what you learn in high school is used in college. Second, focus more on your future not on your weekend plans! Although, having fun and creating memories is important it needs to be in moderation. And, third, pursue as many leadership rolls as possible. College is a expensive and is a privilege not a right. Therefore, you should do everything in your power to pursue scholarships in order to lessen the burden on your parents and reduce the amount of student loans you will have to repay.

First, think of who you are where would be the perfect place for you to discover yourself. I think going to a smaller school gives one the chance of standing out and making a difference on the campus, and finding his or her self along the way. Second, what is your career goal. A lot of the time just knowing what you want to be when you "grow up" can eaisly check off some of your choices. Finally, what is your extra curricular activities, and what sport do you play. A lot of times just the extra curricular activities around a campus can make or break a student. So by thinking about those three simple things, one can have a little easier time when it comes to deciding the perfect college.

The advice I would give to parents and students would be to always tour the campus of the selected school and the town the school is located in to be sure your going to like it. Secondly, If you like to go home on the weekends, try to choose a school a little away from home but not too far so it takes more than 2 hours to get home. Lastly, choose somewhere a little far from home to be able to develop into your own person without the family orientation of what you grew up into. All the experiences from college will create a better you.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior. I would tell myself to work extra hard for my SAT and ACT in order to get better scholarship offers. Also I would tell myself about what were to happen my first year in college, and how to fight back and focus on my studies. Lastly I would tell myself to get a job in order to make money to pay off what I would owe Mars Hill College that following semester. These are the things that I would tell myself from the past in order to be better prepared.

Grace, this world is vast and expansive. It is ready for you to take it by the reigns and make the most of what it and you bring to the table, so stop worrying about what others will think, or if everything will work out perfectly and go for it! Try new things, even if outside your comfort zone. This life isn't for worrying. You are going to get homesick, but the only way to see this grand planet is to leave. Its waiting, go and experience it.

Every class matters. They are expensive, and you should never take a failing grade, even if you don't need the class. That aside, stop being so arrogant. You're about to find out the world is very good at showing you how miniscule you actually are. Lastly, keep in contact with your professors. They are adults, just like you, which means you can form long lasting friendships that will benefit you in social and career focused situations.

The most important thing when choosing the right college is going to it! Walk around it, see it, meet people, and sit through classes. See how welcoming they are and what they have to see if it even meets your interests. Never settle for the one school or the first school you get into! Always look around, see your options and then that way when you decide which school you want you know you will be happy there!

I would have told myself that I needed to be more prepared financially. I should have pushed the advisors to help with more scholarship information. I would have said to make sure that this is the career that you want to go into. I have changed careers twice already and know that I want to be a teacher for sure now.

I would tell my younger self to study more. Grades are trually verny important. You are going to take your honor of Eagle Scout everywhere and to follow the scout law and the leadership skills that were learned in the proccess of earning the award, will be used for the rest of your life. Enjoy life and study hard.