Mars Hill University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Mars Hill University

Cade

I was not pleased with the college's education department AT ALL. I was enrolled in the education program and a Canadian. I went through 4 years, graduated and all, and during that summer I was called by the Education department stating I would not receive my teaching certificate as I did not have a SSN. Now, I would be perfectly fine with that had I known about this in my first year. The "teachers" (they are not professors in my eyes) should have known about the North Carolina policy, and told me that I could not get the license. But fuck me right? Don't choose education if you are Canadian attending this school

Ash

I love the fact that it's a small campus, and the landscape is beautiful. There's a strong sense of community in the area and I feel like my friends and professors are my family. However, the nearest town to do stuff in requires a car, and many students (including myself) don't have a car. However, the amount of activities happening on-campus is laughable. If the students would organize events, there would be more things to do. The staff isn't going to do everything for us.

Anna

Mars Hill University is an overall descent school, you get what you pay for. The staff and faculty are friendly and willing to help you with whatever is in their power, even though they are not always able to. The university overcharges for it's on-campus housing, and the meal plans are not always the best. The dining hall staff only puts out flavorful food when an important person or tour is scheduled on campus. While there are a few things to do on campus, unless you have a car you have to walk at least a mile to the nearest store.

Meredith

Mars Hill University is not a party school. Also, Mars Hill Unversity is a very small college so everyone will know you by the end of the year in your grade. The dorms here are awful now. Some of them have black mold. Mars Hill keeps changing everything last minute. Tuition goes up every year since I been here.

Cayla

I fell in love with Mars Hill University from the very moment that I stepped on campus. Not only did the mountains, atmosphere, and academics intrigue me, the community really made me feel welcomed on campus. I was making friends in no time at all, I was able to contact my professors, and my college transition went smoother then I would ever imagine. After finishing my first semester as a freshman on this campus, I would reccomend others to attend here one hundred percent. Yes party's happen and although it is an alcohol free campus, that doesnt mean there isnt going to be alcohol or drugs used. You just have to make that stand to not hang with those people or go to those places, and as long as you do that, you will become very succesfful at Mars Hill University. My dad always told me you have to pick the right play grounds and the right people to play on those playgrounds with. Finding your right spot is very easy to do on this campus and whether you love the arts, have a passion for outdoors, or dedicated to a sport, this campus works to help you find your passion and place in life. So many cultural centers and places to visit on and off campus, you become apart of the family at this university.

Chadney

It is a very small school and a great environment but it is not a party school and if you want to party you have to go somewhere kind of far. The school brings in various students for sports but most students thing that the school doesn't care about it's athletes.

Jadarious

Mars Hill is not the ideal college for some. This campus is a dry campus which means no alcohol and there are only parties at the soccer house. There is not much of a selection of food near campus. The nearest mall is in Asheville, NC which is 25 minutes away. Mars Hill does consist of friendly peers and there are some activities but it does not interest all.

It is a great campus with very helpful instructors. It a small campus that feels like home. The one major problem is that there are only a handful of places to eat and the only shopping options are CVS, Ingles and Dollar General. However, Asheville which has numerous shopping an dining options is approximately 20 miles away.

Tyler

At one time Mars Hill was a haven for those who haven't found themselves, but alas this is no longer the case. This stems from both the annual increase in tuition. As well as the administrative changes that have removed the atmosphere of fun and community that the institution tries to publicly promote.

Cat

Mars Hill seems great from an outside look. However when I got here there were hidden fees in my contract, so the scholarship that I received that was supposed to be student debt/ loan free is no longer debt free. There is very very little to do around the campus and theres not much of a student life. The professors seems great, but there should be more to college than just how good professors are. College should not only be about learning but learning how to adult own your own, and make new memories that will last for a lifetime.

Love the small school environment. Love that all my professors know my name and are easy to get in contact with. Staff is very friendly and always willing to help. I also love that there are lots of academic help opportunities for students.

DeOnna

What stood out the most to me was that MHU is not a "huge" college. It is in a small town, small class sizes, and you do not get lost in the crowd. I am 20 min from home, but still live on campus. I enjoy the one on one experience in the smaller classes. I quickly became involved as a freshman, and actually am freshman class president. There are many academic, social, and life hanging opportunities available at MHU.

Elisa

I love the college and the people there. It is nice and the classes are typically small sized. The teachers can work with you one on one. The view walking from my dorm room is gorgeous. It is a beautiful campus and I love the classes and atmosphere of it all.

Jamie

I love Mars Hill. It's a small school and you make friends instantly. Every teacher I've had has been very helpful and it's very obvious that they love their job. The teachers also show that they care about you as a student, not just a number. When you are not able to make office hours, teachers are willing to meet with you in the cafeteria if absolutely necessary. At Mars Hill I feel like a student, and not a number.

Brooke

This university is a wonderful institution. The people here are welcoming and helpful. They will answer any questions you have. The campus is a beautiful place. The dorms are nice as well. The professors are very welcoming and love to answer your questions. My overall experience was very pleasant.

Joshua

Mars Hill University, while not being the fanciest of schools, has become a second home for me. I have been able to meet so many motivated and amazing people. My professors put my education first and there has never been a time where I felt that my voice or opinions went unheard. There is plenty of opportunities to express my self artistically and I cherish that!

Angela

As a commuter, I do mostly enjoy MHU. The campus is small and cozy and it's easy to become well acquainted with it. As a smaller campus, it's also quieter and more academically focused. Sometimes I do feel a disconnect because I can't participate with activities or clubs very well. And some days I feel as though commuters are kind of an afterthought, especially in their freshman year. But overall the staff and administration are friendly and there are many great opportunities on campus.

Madeline

Overall the campus is small and can be seen as unimpressive when first visiting. However the upper staff are constantly talking to students to figure out how they can improve campus life. As an RA I see many aspects of campus life, including that getting upper level students to participate can be difficult, however the first year students are always ready to do any activity on campus. If you are looking for a cozy small town, Mars Hill is the place to be. Faculty and staff are always prepared to help students in any way possible, and the student government association is big on helping communicate between the students and staff.

Acadia

My overall opinion of Mars Hill University is that it is an amazing college. I've visited the campus twice now and I'm going again in April for my orientation. I will be starting my freshman year in the Fall and I'm extremely excited. All the professors, administrators, students, etc. are kind and welcoming to all, hold a strong faith and will to learn and teach everything they can. The campus is clean and beautiful, including all classrooms and dorms, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who showed even the slightest interest in attending.