Huntington, WV
Marshall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marshall University

Deven

If I could start college all over again, I would apply for every scholarship I was eligible to win. In most cases all it costs to apply is time, not money. I would also keep up my grades, because I lost my biggest scholarship due to slipping in that department. Thirdly, I wouldn't have put as much pressure on myself to graduate in four years. As one of the few in my family to go to college, I felt an incredible amount of pressure to knock college out of the park by getting out in the standard amount of time. However, had I graduated in 2008, I would not have had the opportunity to intern for a television show and a big-city newspaper, both of which are taking place this academic year. Those look much better on a resume than just the clips from academia. Finally, I would have participated in more than just one campus organization. I will always love the campus radio station, as it allowed me to win many national awards and meet great, new people. However, there is much more to this world--and this campus--than broadcasting.

Those who like a laid-back, small-town lifestyle disguised in a city setting will love Marshall University and the surrounding community. Many who visit the state note that the people here are among the nicest they've ever met. Those who need to speak with a professor will also like it here, as Marshall's small class sizes mean more one-on-one opportunities. The university may refer to you as a number, but most of the individual departments know you by name.

If you like an active lifestyle with many options for entertainment, then Marshall is most definitely not the place for you. Also, those who want to experience foreign cultures will be highly disappointed. There are people from all over the country--and around the world--at Marshall, but the sampling is so small that it's difficult for outsiders to fully immerse themselves in foreign life.

Rebecca

I went to another university before I went to my current one, and although they are only 3 hours away, there are tons of differences. Marshall does not have as much variety, both ethnically and from other states, as my previous school did. However, the people at Marshall seem much friendlier, warmer, and more inviting. The professors do, as well. It has a national sports program, so of course that's a major thing. It is an expanding university, and is constantly adding new programs, and already has a large variety.

To put it bluntly, I would tell myself not to be an idiot. I made the mistake of wanting to get away from home, to get out on my own as soon as possible. So I picked a major I didn't truly want to pursue and went to a school three hours away. Also, I was a straight-A student in high school and graduated with very high honors, and I assumed that college would take a little more work but it would still be a breeze. I was dead wrong. I struggled through my first year, and my cumulative GPA was very embarassing. I knew all through the semesters that I wasn't doing well, but my pride kept me from asking for help. So, I lost my scholarships. I realized that my major wasn't right for me and neither was the school, so I changed both. I decided to move back home and go to a school there. I've done a lot better this semester. I've worked harder and asked for help when I needed it. I just wish I could go back in time and tell myself to do that from the start.

I wish I had known this was the school for me instead of wasting a year at my previous school. I wish I had known how tough college would be. I was a straight-A student in high school, and only rarely had to crack a book. The transition was overwhelming. Although I expected a drastic change, I didn't think it'd be as hard for me as it was. I wish I would have went to Marshall, first of all, and I wish I would have known how much harder I had to work to succeed.

Considering that Marshall University was not my first choice, I would tell my high school senior self to go to my first choice, Miami of Ohio. Even though I had been accepted and received a scholarship and I got talked out of it because of its excessive cost. I would tell myself, "Stand up for what you believe in! You know that this is what you want! The campus is beautiful, the reputation is great and it is a (somewhat) safe taste of the real world." My first year at Marshall was spent at off campus housing and because there were no rules, I ended up getting myself into trouble and dropping out for a semester. Maybe if there had been a slight structure to my housing sitution, as in less rules than at my mother's house, but more than being on my own, I would have passed the first semester. I would have also enjoyed the experience of having a dorm room, even if I didn't stay with Miami of Ohio the full four years.

Our mascot is a herd of buffalo. I don't think that's very cool.

If one is really interested in attending a school in a big city, this school would not be good for them. Huntington would not be around if Marshall wasn't there.

Caiti

My classmates at Marshall University are nice people. They will always give help if you ask. We are all a close-knit group of students.

The advice I would give myself now would be look for scholorships that can help pay for tution and housing costs. College tution can be quite expensive, and if you do not live on campus your freshman year it will be difficult to make friends and obtain that bond with them that will last through college. Yes, you want to make good grades and earn a spot on the Dean's List, but you also need to have fun and make wonderful friends. I see that now as a college freshman who does not have close friends because i commute to school and do not have the opportunity to hang out around campus. To have that full college life, join student organziations and try so hard to live on campus and meet new people.

If you are a commuter, like myself, participating in student organizations can be very difficult. Having to drive 30 to 40 minutes to attend a hour meeting kinda crazy and wastes money on gasoline. If you work evenings, joining an organization is nearly impossible for all the meetings are in the evenings.

Melissa

Do not bring a lot of useless things to college. Be open to meeting new people. Be more easy going.

I love that my school is made up of buildings that are all located close together. My school is also very good with handling all of your account information and cleaning the sidewalks.

Whitney

I would tell myself that college is way better than high school, and that it will be an awesome experience. It is a little sad at first to leave home, and especially say good-bye to the family, but there will be plenty of family time ahead. I would definitely tell myself to put a great amount of effort into making the best grades possible. I would say to not be so nervous on move-in day or the first day of classes. Also, I would want myself to know that I will meet great friends at college. I think I would tell myself how I became much more responsible for everything. Going to college will change my life forever, and bring me the independence to create my own path in life to accomplish my dreams. I would tell myself to never give up on anything, and that the time goes by quickly in college so make the best of every single moment!

I would have to say that the worst thing about this school is going to class in the snowy, cold weather during the winter months. It really isn't that bad though, and I like many more things about this school than I dislike.

The kind of person that should attend this school is someone that wants to go to a large university that is in a nice city. The person should be interested in all that this school has to offer. There are many majors to choose from and an outstanding recreation center on campus!

Jonathan

Throughout the two and a half years I have attended Marshall University, I have grown tremendously in several aspects of my life all because of the experiences I have faced in college. Even though I can point out more than one experience which has helped me grow, the most important one to me is the effort at which I exert myself. Most freshmen see college as only four more years of school. Knowing this, many strive just to meet their B-average standard, C-average standard, or whatever it may be. Coming into college, I too suffered from this mentality. It wasn't until about a year ago that I decided I wanted to go to law school. With this in my future, my prior mentality of "just getting by" wasn't cutting it any more. I realized that if I want to get into a reputable law school I am going to have make my studies my top priority. This doesn't hold light to only law school. I have since learned that other professional degrees are extremely competitive, as is the work force. Always putting forth my best effort is a habit that I now live by daily.

Katelyn

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself a few things. One being to hold strong to my beliefs and what I consider honorable. Don't let my new environment sway me what I know and love. Be outgoing! The first month of college is the best but you have to put yourself out there, don't be aftaid of rejection: there's always someone out there who will love you for you. Lastly, when making relationships be yourself and don't be afraid to get too close. These new friends you will meet in college could last a lifetime but it is up to you, in part, to make sure they last that long.

I wish I would have known more about the surrounding area. Huntington is not what one would consider a 'college town.' You have to be creative when finding things to do in your spare time. I also wish I would've known that it is largely a commuting school meaning: dead weekends. I wasn't prepared to be bored in college.

I brag mostly about the size and the benefits I recieve from that: I know my teachers who also recognize me in and out of school situations, I recognize many students on any given day walking to and from classes, and my classroom sizes are generally that from high school. I feel I found a place I can belong and become the person I want to be: the person I am at Marshall University.

Christopher

The unique thing about my school is that it is all put together and everything you might need is within walking distance. As where others you might have to drive to get to a restraunt, a gas station, or even class.

I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships and to not blow my graduation gifts. I also would tell myself to stay away from certain relationships because they take a tole on the emotions and distract you from what you should actually be doing. I would probably also let myself know not to stress that much because college is not that hard as long as you do the work that is assigned.

The most frustrating thing about my school is registering for classes because it is online and it is hard to get registered in a timely manner.

Evon

Dear Evon, It's me, your future self. You'll be happy to know that you are attending Marshall University. You are receiving a lot of really competitive scholarships, including the West Virginia Promise and Marshall University Presidential scholarship. During your Freshman year, you adapted very well. Amazing, huh? That's because Marshall is everything that you thought it would be and more. Moreover, you are dorming in their brand new Freshman dorms and you have your own private bathroom! So, that eradicates your phobia of public restrooms. But I write to you on more important matters. I remember those times you are now facing. You feel like you are losing a lot of your friends by going away to college. I write to you with hope. Things get much better, and you actually make two friends that you'll probably have for the rest of your life. So, perk up, buttercup! You're beginning a new chapter in your life. This is you in two years, and I can honestly say that I'm happier than I've ever been. Yours Truly, Evon

I left high school with poor studying skills, although I was an A-student. the teachers at Marshall University expect their students to learn the respective disciplines; therefore, each student is responsible for studying the material. During my Freshman year, I had trouble studying, but I eventually found techniques that work for me and made the Dean's List for both terms.

Honestly, I do not think there is a type of person that Marshall University could not accomodate. They are extremely diverse. Even I, being a shy person, felt comfortable while attending there.

Marshall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.