Huntington, WV
Marshall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marshall University

Kathryn

Life at college is simply what you make of it. Hard work promises uplifting results, while laziness (or missing many classes) results in not only lagging grades, but a depressed outlook on life in general. Find out about everything that will save you money or time, as these are two of your most precious resources. AP and CLEP exams are a great way save time and money for other things, such as other classes. Be proactive everyday and leave lazing about for the weekends when no offices of business are open. Learn your university catalog inside and out and keep a copy at all times. Take your education in your own hands and don't let anyone take it from you. Grades are vital to procuring scholarships, work hard on them and you will be rewarded. Making connections and networking is crucial to your health as well as to your successfulness. Don't be afraid of anyone, but treat every person as an opportunity to better a life (or make them smile). College can be hard, but don't despair: it can also be the best time of your life. And NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER give up.

Independent individuals who are looking for a college experience that will prepare them for the joys and harships of life should attend Marshall University. Given here is the chance to develop vital skills and techniques to succeed in life, while gaining valuable knowledge in the subject area of preference. The business student particularly feels acclimated to the vibrant environment born of profit and loss, where one who is proactive and anticipates potential problems will succeed. A strong personality and lasting amition will lead to gains throughout the student's life.

Students seeking a cozy environment with a "small town feel" should not attend Marshall University. Those looking for four years of fun and parties should also not attend. The university is designed to academically service many students with many backgrounds. In a way, it is a simulation of the world in itself. Therefore, these students may find adjusting to this university very difficult, as it is not prone to being outright inviting or accomodating. However, since Marshall has a vast network of international and American students, tenacious students who have these desires may carve a niche for themselves.

Football and campus size. Campus being so condensed so that everything is in walking distance.

I'd tell myself to really evaluate what I love to do and what I'd want to major in. Also, to remind myself that college is a life decision and that it is my own, not my parents or friends' choice. Follow your gut and stick with what you decide on. Follow through with your choices and ask for help if you are having difficulties. Make friends in your classes so you have study partners and also a social life outside of school but try not to get caught up with the drinking scene on a school night either. There are many opportunities throughout your college experience and expand your horizons by trying new things and getting involved in organizations that help the community. Remember to be yourself and have fun as well. These are the years where you begin the building blocks of your life, start out strong and finish wiser than going in.

The various classes and class times. It's great for working students and also older students that have a life outside of college.

If I was given the opportunity to travel back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, my words of advice would be priceless. I would make sure to first say that your first year of college can be one of the most exciting and enlightening years of your life if you seize the opportunities you are given. I made the mistake of not taking advantage of all of the opportunities given to me in my first year of college, and I have come to deeply regret that. Also, I would make sure to explain that nothing should stop you from achieving your personal goals and dreams. Living in the dorms is a great experience, but can also greatly distract you from receiving decent grades, and you have to learn how to balance your personal life with your school work. I would also tell myself that I need a plan for gaining admission to the pharmacy school of my choice. I have changed my mind numerous times about where I desire to attend college at. Most importantly though, I would tell myself that college is full of opportunities to meet new people and experience new things.

If I could go back in time and advse myself on what I now know about college I would tell myself that it is of the upmost importance to fill out as many scholarship applications as possible. Many scholarships are designed only for high school seniors and once you begin your education it is very difficult to find scholarships for undergraduates. Recently I have been searching the internet most diligently to find scholarships that will allow undergraduates to apply, but I have come up very empty. Now that I know the trials of being an undergraduate in college without enough money for full tuition I wish I would have filled out many more scholarsips while I had the chance as a high school senior.

The worst thing about Marshall University is the fact that they have very few locations that students can go to eat on campus. Marshall contains only one dining hall and a few small shops in its student center, giving students only a few options. Whats more is that the food in both locations is very expensive. To eat lunch in the dining hall it costs $5.75 for unlimited buffet, but the food is usually terrible and the cooks preparing the meal are very rude. I sincerely wish Marshall University would help its students with better meal options.

The November 14, 1970 plane crash that killed our football team along with the athletic director and some family members. There was a movie made on the plane crash called "We are Marshall."

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself many things. One being to imporve my study habits. In high school I was never the one who needed to study to maintain my B+ average, and because I hardly ever studied I had a hard time adjusting to the demands of my college professors. Another thing I would tell myself is to not let any one hold you back. I shouldn't let anyone keep me from living my life. I need to meet people and make sure that my college life is all that i want it to be and more. The last thing I would tell myself is to make sure my parents realize how much I appreciate them. It was only unilt I made it to college that I realized how much they have done. They go above and beyond to make sure I have evertything I need. They make sure that I have many opportunities in my future.

The worst thing about my school is that it is so far away from my home. I am over 400 miles away from my hometown of Baltimore, Maryland. It is extremely hard leaving my family and friends when I have to come back to school. I have met people that help me get my mind off of not having them here for me when I get stressed. I know that my Mom and Dad are extremely proud of me and want me to succeed at everything I do here at Marshall University.

Myndi

Marshall is mostly known locally, but I've met several people from out of state who came to Marshall because of the movie "We Are Marshall" that came out a few years ago about the school.

My most useful advice to myself would be to calm down. Before going to college, I was absolutely terrified of it and convinced that my college experience would be like the ones portrayed in movies - all drinking, partying, and football games with no one who is career-motivated and definitely no learning. In reality, yes, there are some students like that, but the vast majority are the exact opposite. College is the best experience I've had thus far and I wish I hadn't been so terrified of it.

I generally mention a few of the wonderful professors that I've had, as well as the people. And then I usually brag about the scholarships they offer.

Haily

My classmates are very goal orientated. Most of them have chosen a program to major in and are very serious in their attempts to graduate with a degree. For the most part they work very hard to complete all assignments, attend class and keep their grades up.

Having completed my first semester of my freshmen year I understand some of the challenges of adapting to college life. Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would have a few pointers to give. I would start off my conversation by advising that I should take studying habits more seriously. In collegeone must study about the same amount of time that they spend in lectures. There is no way to learn the material other than to sit down and study hard. Associated with better studying habits I would also advise myself to learn better time mangement skills. I know I have heard this pointer most of my life but it really hit home when I had to go to lectures, then set aside time to study along with social time. This was one of the hardest things about college to adjust too, but once I got the hang of things I was able to make the best of my college experince. I would use this conversation to make myslef a better student and to insure that my future will be everyhting I plan and want it to be.

I would say the worst thing about my school would have to be the availability of classes. Some of the classes only have a small amount of seating so it can be difficult to take the classes required.

If I could speak to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I do now about college, I would encourage myself to research different majors and career paths to decide earlier what is right for me. I made that decision years before college and changed my mind after my first year. The second year, I struggled with the new path I had chosen, finding out it was totally wrong for me and also cost me my scholarship. This brings me to now, in my third year of school but my first year in my major stressing out about losing what I worked for, having to pay tuition now and trying to graduate on time so I will not have to pay even more. Also I would tell myself to get more involved on campus to make more friends, which is hard to do when not living on campus but 35 minutes away. I would warn myself to study hard, that things may not come as easily as they did in high school. I would also tell myself to not procrastinate and take my time to make sure I do my best instead of getting overly stressed out.

The best thing about my school would be some of the teachers. While not all of them are as helpful and kind as others, very many are. They tend to be very helpful and knowledgable in their field. They treat students like adults and speak to us on an equal level. They earn our respect because they treat us with respect and are genuinely interested in our doing well in college and leading a successful life.

I believe the worst thing about my school to be the high prices to attend. A parking pass for a lot (not even the garage) is $145 per year, and often it is impossible to find a parking place. Also, even when you finally find one, they are far from campus. This is inconvient for commuting students like myself. Also, taking an online class to try to fit in more credit hours toward graduation costs an extra $600 even though you never see the teacher. The new rec center is amazing, but very expensive for students at $170 per semester.

Sean

They are willing to accept new ideas and are eager to change the current state of the world around them in a positive way.

I would tell myself to embrace the blank slate that I will be given at the beginning of college, and use it to be the best that I can be. I was so concerned about making new friends that often times I shirked my academic responsibilities. Sometimes I get distraught about my current GPA, but I know that at Marshall the professors are willing and able to help you raise it, and I have a large group of supportive friends that can help me study and do well.

I brag about the strong community on campus and how I don't feel like a statistic or a nobody. I think that everyone on this campus has a close group of friends, and you rarely if ever hear about depression.

Christopher

First thing I'd tell myself is to take it a bit more seriously than when how I did my freshman year. Its more challenging than what high school ever was and you can't just sit there and expect to pass with good grades. My grades my first year weren't as good as I would have hoped and now I have to make up for it the next three years during my degree. However, by going off of a good start, you can start ahead without having to dread about bad grades.

Probably our new recreational center we just got.

Usually, we don't have as much freedom as I think we should, we are still treated as if we are kids and can be quite annoying.

Marshall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.