Huntington, WV
Marshall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marshall University

Jonathan

Throughout the two and a half years I have attended Marshall University, I have grown tremendously in several aspects of my life all because of the experiences I have faced in college. Even though I can point out more than one experience which has helped me grow, the most important one to me is the effort at which I exert myself. Most freshmen see college as only four more years of school. Knowing this, many strive just to meet their B-average standard, C-average standard, or whatever it may be. Coming into college, I too suffered from this mentality. It wasn't until about a year ago that I decided I wanted to go to law school. With this in my future, my prior mentality of "just getting by" wasn't cutting it any more. I realized that if I want to get into a reputable law school I am going to have make my studies my top priority. This doesn't hold light to only law school. I have since learned that other professional degrees are extremely competitive, as is the work force. Always putting forth my best effort is a habit that I now live by daily.

Katelyn

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself a few things. One being to hold strong to my beliefs and what I consider honorable. Don't let my new environment sway me what I know and love. Be outgoing! The first month of college is the best but you have to put yourself out there, don't be aftaid of rejection: there's always someone out there who will love you for you. Lastly, when making relationships be yourself and don't be afraid to get too close. These new friends you will meet in college could last a lifetime but it is up to you, in part, to make sure they last that long.

I wish I would have known more about the surrounding area. Huntington is not what one would consider a 'college town.' You have to be creative when finding things to do in your spare time. I also wish I would've known that it is largely a commuting school meaning: dead weekends. I wasn't prepared to be bored in college.

I brag mostly about the size and the benefits I recieve from that: I know my teachers who also recognize me in and out of school situations, I recognize many students on any given day walking to and from classes, and my classroom sizes are generally that from high school. I feel I found a place I can belong and become the person I want to be: the person I am at Marshall University.

Christopher

The unique thing about my school is that it is all put together and everything you might need is within walking distance. As where others you might have to drive to get to a restraunt, a gas station, or even class.

I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships and to not blow my graduation gifts. I also would tell myself to stay away from certain relationships because they take a tole on the emotions and distract you from what you should actually be doing. I would probably also let myself know not to stress that much because college is not that hard as long as you do the work that is assigned.

The most frustrating thing about my school is registering for classes because it is online and it is hard to get registered in a timely manner.

Evon

Dear Evon, It's me, your future self. You'll be happy to know that you are attending Marshall University. You are receiving a lot of really competitive scholarships, including the West Virginia Promise and Marshall University Presidential scholarship. During your Freshman year, you adapted very well. Amazing, huh? That's because Marshall is everything that you thought it would be and more. Moreover, you are dorming in their brand new Freshman dorms and you have your own private bathroom! So, that eradicates your phobia of public restrooms. But I write to you on more important matters. I remember those times you are now facing. You feel like you are losing a lot of your friends by going away to college. I write to you with hope. Things get much better, and you actually make two friends that you'll probably have for the rest of your life. So, perk up, buttercup! You're beginning a new chapter in your life. This is you in two years, and I can honestly say that I'm happier than I've ever been. Yours Truly, Evon

I left high school with poor studying skills, although I was an A-student. the teachers at Marshall University expect their students to learn the respective disciplines; therefore, each student is responsible for studying the material. During my Freshman year, I had trouble studying, but I eventually found techniques that work for me and made the Dean's List for both terms.

Honestly, I do not think there is a type of person that Marshall University could not accomodate. They are extremely diverse. Even I, being a shy person, felt comfortable while attending there.

Kathryn

Life at college is simply what you make of it. Hard work promises uplifting results, while laziness (or missing many classes) results in not only lagging grades, but a depressed outlook on life in general. Find out about everything that will save you money or time, as these are two of your most precious resources. AP and CLEP exams are a great way save time and money for other things, such as other classes. Be proactive everyday and leave lazing about for the weekends when no offices of business are open. Learn your university catalog inside and out and keep a copy at all times. Take your education in your own hands and don't let anyone take it from you. Grades are vital to procuring scholarships, work hard on them and you will be rewarded. Making connections and networking is crucial to your health as well as to your successfulness. Don't be afraid of anyone, but treat every person as an opportunity to better a life (or make them smile). College can be hard, but don't despair: it can also be the best time of your life. And NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER give up.

Independent individuals who are looking for a college experience that will prepare them for the joys and harships of life should attend Marshall University. Given here is the chance to develop vital skills and techniques to succeed in life, while gaining valuable knowledge in the subject area of preference. The business student particularly feels acclimated to the vibrant environment born of profit and loss, where one who is proactive and anticipates potential problems will succeed. A strong personality and lasting amition will lead to gains throughout the student's life.

Students seeking a cozy environment with a "small town feel" should not attend Marshall University. Those looking for four years of fun and parties should also not attend. The university is designed to academically service many students with many backgrounds. In a way, it is a simulation of the world in itself. Therefore, these students may find adjusting to this university very difficult, as it is not prone to being outright inviting or accomodating. However, since Marshall has a vast network of international and American students, tenacious students who have these desires may carve a niche for themselves.

Football and campus size. Campus being so condensed so that everything is in walking distance.

I'd tell myself to really evaluate what I love to do and what I'd want to major in. Also, to remind myself that college is a life decision and that it is my own, not my parents or friends' choice. Follow your gut and stick with what you decide on. Follow through with your choices and ask for help if you are having difficulties. Make friends in your classes so you have study partners and also a social life outside of school but try not to get caught up with the drinking scene on a school night either. There are many opportunities throughout your college experience and expand your horizons by trying new things and getting involved in organizations that help the community. Remember to be yourself and have fun as well. These are the years where you begin the building blocks of your life, start out strong and finish wiser than going in.

The various classes and class times. It's great for working students and also older students that have a life outside of college.

If I was given the opportunity to travel back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, my words of advice would be priceless. I would make sure to first say that your first year of college can be one of the most exciting and enlightening years of your life if you seize the opportunities you are given. I made the mistake of not taking advantage of all of the opportunities given to me in my first year of college, and I have come to deeply regret that. Also, I would make sure to explain that nothing should stop you from achieving your personal goals and dreams. Living in the dorms is a great experience, but can also greatly distract you from receiving decent grades, and you have to learn how to balance your personal life with your school work. I would also tell myself that I need a plan for gaining admission to the pharmacy school of my choice. I have changed my mind numerous times about where I desire to attend college at. Most importantly though, I would tell myself that college is full of opportunities to meet new people and experience new things.

If I could go back in time and advse myself on what I now know about college I would tell myself that it is of the upmost importance to fill out as many scholarship applications as possible. Many scholarships are designed only for high school seniors and once you begin your education it is very difficult to find scholarships for undergraduates. Recently I have been searching the internet most diligently to find scholarships that will allow undergraduates to apply, but I have come up very empty. Now that I know the trials of being an undergraduate in college without enough money for full tuition I wish I would have filled out many more scholarsips while I had the chance as a high school senior.

The worst thing about Marshall University is the fact that they have very few locations that students can go to eat on campus. Marshall contains only one dining hall and a few small shops in its student center, giving students only a few options. Whats more is that the food in both locations is very expensive. To eat lunch in the dining hall it costs $5.75 for unlimited buffet, but the food is usually terrible and the cooks preparing the meal are very rude. I sincerely wish Marshall University would help its students with better meal options.

The November 14, 1970 plane crash that killed our football team along with the athletic director and some family members. There was a movie made on the plane crash called "We are Marshall."

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself many things. One being to imporve my study habits. In high school I was never the one who needed to study to maintain my B+ average, and because I hardly ever studied I had a hard time adjusting to the demands of my college professors. Another thing I would tell myself is to not let any one hold you back. I shouldn't let anyone keep me from living my life. I need to meet people and make sure that my college life is all that i want it to be and more. The last thing I would tell myself is to make sure my parents realize how much I appreciate them. It was only unilt I made it to college that I realized how much they have done. They go above and beyond to make sure I have evertything I need. They make sure that I have many opportunities in my future.

The worst thing about my school is that it is so far away from my home. I am over 400 miles away from my hometown of Baltimore, Maryland. It is extremely hard leaving my family and friends when I have to come back to school. I have met people that help me get my mind off of not having them here for me when I get stressed. I know that my Mom and Dad are extremely proud of me and want me to succeed at everything I do here at Marshall University.

Myndi

Marshall is mostly known locally, but I've met several people from out of state who came to Marshall because of the movie "We Are Marshall" that came out a few years ago about the school.

My most useful advice to myself would be to calm down. Before going to college, I was absolutely terrified of it and convinced that my college experience would be like the ones portrayed in movies - all drinking, partying, and football games with no one who is career-motivated and definitely no learning. In reality, yes, there are some students like that, but the vast majority are the exact opposite. College is the best experience I've had thus far and I wish I hadn't been so terrified of it.

I generally mention a few of the wonderful professors that I've had, as well as the people. And then I usually brag about the scholarships they offer.

Marshall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.