Huntington, WV
Marshall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marshall University

Kristi

The advise that I would give myself is to go to college. I would research all of the different colleges I was interested in and figure out which one was te best for me. I would have told myslef to never give up, and that everyone should have the chance to experience college life. Also everyone should be given the opportunity to continue their education after high school.

I believe any person who is willing to go to college should attend this school. This school is great and everyone is provided with an ample amount of opportunities.

I honestly do not believe there is any one certain type of person that should no go to this school. Everyone that goes here finds a way to fit in and be accepted. This school is very culturaly diverse.

If I could go back and talk to myself in my senior year of high school I would tell myself to learn how to study better. I would tell myself that the days of just looking over material a few times is over, and that I would need to learn what way best fits me to be able to retain what I am reading and learning about. I would also tell myself that I need to get over my shyness and that if I do it would make it much eaiser for me to talk to students in class with me that are from a different place other than where I grew up, and it would be eaiser for me to meet new people and make new friends eaiser.

The best thing about Marshall University is its school spirit. It hast the ability to bring together a whole community. No matter what my school takes part in there are always supports there to cheeir it on.

Before I made the transition from high school to college, I wish I would have known how to study better. In high school I could just look over the material a few times and would be able to recall everything that I had read. Once I got to college it was a completly different situation. If I would have had better study skills in high school, it might have made the transition into the world of college studying a much eaiser task.

Wade

My classmates at Marshall vary in work ethic, some are very bright and they can pick up on concepts easier, some don't come to class, and then the rest are a mix of mastry and below mastry students.

First , I would make myself take the ACT test again to possibly get a higher score for scholarships I missed by 1 or 2 points. Then I would enforce how procrastination is not a very wise thing to use. Also, I would make sure to get all I could out of my science and math classes instead of just focusing on "getting through". Next, I would tell myself how to deal with the work load by repitition, especially in Math. To make sure you don't get behind on assignments, and to make plans for what you need to get done each day. Put time into each subject no matter how difficult the class or work is. Do not count on "one"night studying to be sufficient in getting you the grade desire, because that is not a very wise strategy. Finally, I would work on diligence, because this word is key to your work ethic. The more you surround yourself with your work/concepts/job, the more naturally things will come. So, basically work hard and stay focused on the goal that is set before me, which is to obtain a degree with the least amount of setbacks possible.

It isn't very personal, and doesn't help reveal your hidden intrests that you are unaware of. I think it doesn't influence you on a personal level. I have a tough time finding the unknown intrests in my life in order to persue my future.

Candace

Having the knowledge that I do now about college, I would give myself advice about numerous things. First , I would tell myself to have more confidence in whatever I do. I would also tell myself that if I want to succeed than I need to have great communication skills, social skills, and be able to stay determined, dedicated, and motivated no matter what happens. Another piece of advice I'd give would be to stay true to myself and not let what others think affect me. Finally, I would let myself know that it is okay to make mistakes because it is how you learn from them and become a stronger person.

The worst thing about Marshall University is receiving financial aid late. As a fellow student as well as hearing from other students, financial aid is the most frustrating. The process of receiving financial aid is inconvenient and time-consuming. As students, on a limited budget, we are not given enough time to make necessary accommodations. An example of this would be the inablitily to obtain or afford essential items, such as books, school supplies, and other expenses.

Of course, at Marshall University anyone is welcome ; however, in order to be successful, they need to meet the academic requirements and possess qualities like determination, motivation, social skills, communication skills, organizational skills, leadership skills, and be active in organizations on and off campus.

Marshall University is a diverse enviornment which makes for a good learning eviorment becuase you can learn other cultures and points of views of others, and be able to further your learning by others experiences and making new ones of your own.

Marshall University is best known for its abbilty to come toghether not only as a school, but the ability to bring a whole community. When something bad or tragic happens, my school does not dwell in it, but rises up and learns from the experience so that if it were to happen again, we would know how to deal with the situation and this makes my school a very good enviornment to be in.

If I could go back to my 18 year old self, in my senior year of high school, I would tell myself that I need to develop better study habits. I would let myself know that the days of being able to study the night before a test and do well on it are coming to an end. I would let myself know that the transition to college is more difficult than i expect it to be and to take the advice of the others around me who have already been through the college experience and actually know what they are talking about.

Bridget

Its big yet small in each student is noticed and not lost in the crown!

Its big yet small in each student is noticed and not lost in the crown!

I would tell myself that it is not all about fun. You definitly have to work hard first and reward your self with fun. I would remind myself that every grade counts and you might think that these are just classes and i can do better next time. Every grade counts from freshman year all the way up till you graduate. They all determine your GPA. I would also tell myself not to choose the school based upon your friends. Pick what school you feel that you will strive at.

I love the energy of the school. I love that everyone here wants to learn! It has a very positive atmosphere. Classes are small and personal yet it is a big school!

Ryan

The best thing about Marshall is the very small campus. Every location on campus is walkable in 5 minutes or less, and that makes sleeping to the last minute attainable every day. One thing I'd change about Marshall is making on campus housing nicer, and only the freshman dorms and Commons (which is very selective) are nice. The school is a decent size, and even though there are nearly 10,000 students, it feels like I know everyone in my class who is a residential student. Marshall is slightly more selective school than WVU, the states flagship university, but it is West Virginia, so people aren't exactly aware that its a decent school. I spent a solid portion of time in the new student rec center, which is a state of the art facility with a nice pool, gym, and bball courts. It is where the intramural games are held. I also spent a fair bit of time at off campus apartments with friends, even though I lived in the dorms. Huntington is far from a college town, and is almost completely deserted on the weekends minus out of staters. More than half of the school's population are commuters. Marshall administration is easy to deal with. the biggest controversies surround the fraternity/sorority scene, and when a frat gets kicked off campus or suspended, everyone hears about it. There is a fair bit of school pride, especially for the football team, where almost every student and Huntington resident attends the games. An unusual thing about Marshall is the lack of party scene. Frat row can be seen completely dead on a Saturday night at 12. Most frequent student complaints are about the bad cafeteria food and lack of things to do in Huntington besides drink. Huntington is an eye-sore of a city.

WASP would be a way to describe the student body racially. There is a small portion of black students and they are mostly student athletes, or at least get that stigma. Socio-economically, mostly low-middle class, or middle class students. When our parents salaries drunkenly came up in conversation I told them my parents made 150k, and they thought I was filthy rich. Campus crusades, or the religious group are an in-your-face religious zealots, and get a really bad rep, and their presence is known. Someone who would feel out of place at Marshall would be an upper-class northerner not willing to accept people. Students attire ranges from band tees to class to polos and acid stained, trendy jeans. There is a fair amount of stereotypical southern preps, wearing plaid shorts and vineyard vines, and also Abercrombie, puca shell wearing frat boys. Girls wear skirts, jeans, tanks, and dress nicely for class. Sometimes they'll wear sweats when they're hung over on a Friday. Different cliques of students don't normally interact. Four tables in the dining hall: Down to earth kids- a mix of high school athletes, stoners, and party dudes, Jocks- football/soccer players donning their sports Under Armour and sweats, Nerds- kids who bring laptops to the cafe and study, Frat dudes- often obnoxious and loud in their frats letters or popped collars Most students are from WV, but many come from bordering states and some from Jersey, PA, NY. Marshall is mostly democrat even though WV is historically Republican.

The stereotypes aren't accurate. Marshall certainly has its fair share of rednecks, but most of the population are everyday, down to earth kids. Alot of students get border state scholarships from neighboring Kentucky and Ohio, which are similar culturally to West Virginia. There is also a decent percentage of Jersey kids and kids from the north east who fit right in. I was only called a yankee a few times.

Classes are very intimate, about 20 per class and some professors will know your name. Best classes are the business classes, they have a strong business department. Least favorite class was Intro to the University Freshman year, where attendance was required and we'd have to share how college was going for the first semester. Class participation varies by class. English classes, and classes that require a more hands on approach, people will participate, whereas a lecture based class like Sociology will be pure listening. There is a lack of intellectual environment. People can't wait to get out of class. There is also a lack of student competition, and most kids are under-achievers. Sports management is a unique major, and they cross register with business department which is very strong. Marshall has a Career Services Center which helps you land a job shortly after college. It is supposedly very helpful your junior and senior years.

The most popular groups on campus would be intramural/club sports. The religious groups are popular as well. Club lacrosse is a fun sport, and coming from a highly competitive lacrosse team in high school, and in a hot bed for lacrosse (northeast), I was one of the best players on the team and enjoy my experience even though we aren't great. Road trips are a blast, and most do it to stay in shape, like ex-football players, and we have a good time. Athletic events like Football and bball are very popular, and there's a decent tailgate scene for football. Drama department is good from what I see. There is a really nice theater. The dating scene okay, but at least in my experience it was mostly random hook-ups. Met my closest friends through my roommate, and having buddies with an off-campus apartment is clutch. Awake on a Tuesday at 2 am, I'm probably doing homework. Traditions include welcome back frat parties which half the school attends, halloween is always huge, and the first home football game is pretty awesome as well. Also when we host WVU in any sport things get wild. Because many of the residential students will go home for the weekend, the party week kicks off on Wednesday night. Wednesdays always get wild as well as Thursdays. Wednesday would usually be bar night and Thursday would be house parties/frat parties. Then the lack luster weekend rolls along and only the bar scene is good. A very small percentage of students are in a frat or sorority, but they make their presence known by throwing an open house every so often to keep pledges rolling in, mainly just have small, selective parties. Pi Kappa Alpha and Sig Ep are the two huge party frats on campus, but it's not your traditional southern school, where frats completely dominate the social scene. Off-campus house parties are just as prevalent. On a Saturday night if your on campus and not drinking I have no idea what you'd be doing. Huntington bar scene is okay on the weekends, but not nearly as fun as the weekdays.

As an out of state student, whenever I would tell my friends I was going to Marshall, they would ask why. The academic reputation is completely unknown out of state, and mostly known for it's decent football team in the 90's and their unfortunate plane crash in the 70's. Otherwise, no one really knows anything about Marshall. I went because it was one of the few schools with a good sports management program, and wanted to experience a different culture. West Virginia as a whole gets a really bad rep, and are truly misrepresented by the national media, seeing people with one tooth talk about the flood that swept away their home. My friends would joke and say all the kids at Marshall have incest and work on a farm.

Pam

They are friendly and diverse, and you can always find at least one to help you.

To really find out about class size, living arrangements, food service, and the area around the school. Those are the things that really set the feel of the school, and will help a student be in the right setting for success.

Marshall University was never my first choice. I had planned to attend College of Notre Dame of Maryland. I went there for orietation and felt so out of place. I hated it. I came back home and rushed in my application to Marshall without even knowing much about the school. It was out of shear luck that I got such a great experience. My advice to others is to shop around. Apply to numerous schools even if you aren't sure if you will like them or not. Students should also not make any final decisions until they have taken a tour of campus and got to know the place a little better to make sure its what they want. The way I have made the most of my experience is being open to new people and new experiences. You have to get out there! Go to events and social activities. College wouldn't be half as great if I hadn't made so many great friends here!

Marshall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.