Huntington, WV
Marshall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marshall University

Haily

My classmates are very goal orientated. Most of them have chosen a program to major in and are very serious in their attempts to graduate with a degree. For the most part they work very hard to complete all assignments, attend class and keep their grades up.

Having completed my first semester of my freshmen year I understand some of the challenges of adapting to college life. Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would have a few pointers to give. I would start off my conversation by advising that I should take studying habits more seriously. In collegeone must study about the same amount of time that they spend in lectures. There is no way to learn the material other than to sit down and study hard. Associated with better studying habits I would also advise myself to learn better time mangement skills. I know I have heard this pointer most of my life but it really hit home when I had to go to lectures, then set aside time to study along with social time. This was one of the hardest things about college to adjust too, but once I got the hang of things I was able to make the best of my college experince. I would use this conversation to make myslef a better student and to insure that my future will be everyhting I plan and want it to be.

I would say the worst thing about my school would have to be the availability of classes. Some of the classes only have a small amount of seating so it can be difficult to take the classes required.

If I could speak to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I do now about college, I would encourage myself to research different majors and career paths to decide earlier what is right for me. I made that decision years before college and changed my mind after my first year. The second year, I struggled with the new path I had chosen, finding out it was totally wrong for me and also cost me my scholarship. This brings me to now, in my third year of school but my first year in my major stressing out about losing what I worked for, having to pay tuition now and trying to graduate on time so I will not have to pay even more. Also I would tell myself to get more involved on campus to make more friends, which is hard to do when not living on campus but 35 minutes away. I would warn myself to study hard, that things may not come as easily as they did in high school. I would also tell myself to not procrastinate and take my time to make sure I do my best instead of getting overly stressed out.

The best thing about my school would be some of the teachers. While not all of them are as helpful and kind as others, very many are. They tend to be very helpful and knowledgable in their field. They treat students like adults and speak to us on an equal level. They earn our respect because they treat us with respect and are genuinely interested in our doing well in college and leading a successful life.

I believe the worst thing about my school to be the high prices to attend. A parking pass for a lot (not even the garage) is $145 per year, and often it is impossible to find a parking place. Also, even when you finally find one, they are far from campus. This is inconvient for commuting students like myself. Also, taking an online class to try to fit in more credit hours toward graduation costs an extra $600 even though you never see the teacher. The new rec center is amazing, but very expensive for students at $170 per semester.

Sean

They are willing to accept new ideas and are eager to change the current state of the world around them in a positive way.

I would tell myself to embrace the blank slate that I will be given at the beginning of college, and use it to be the best that I can be. I was so concerned about making new friends that often times I shirked my academic responsibilities. Sometimes I get distraught about my current GPA, but I know that at Marshall the professors are willing and able to help you raise it, and I have a large group of supportive friends that can help me study and do well.

I brag about the strong community on campus and how I don't feel like a statistic or a nobody. I think that everyone on this campus has a close group of friends, and you rarely if ever hear about depression.

Christopher

First thing I'd tell myself is to take it a bit more seriously than when how I did my freshman year. Its more challenging than what high school ever was and you can't just sit there and expect to pass with good grades. My grades my first year weren't as good as I would have hoped and now I have to make up for it the next three years during my degree. However, by going off of a good start, you can start ahead without having to dread about bad grades.

Probably our new recreational center we just got.

Usually, we don't have as much freedom as I think we should, we are still treated as if we are kids and can be quite annoying.

Kristi

The advise that I would give myself is to go to college. I would research all of the different colleges I was interested in and figure out which one was te best for me. I would have told myslef to never give up, and that everyone should have the chance to experience college life. Also everyone should be given the opportunity to continue their education after high school.

I believe any person who is willing to go to college should attend this school. This school is great and everyone is provided with an ample amount of opportunities.

I honestly do not believe there is any one certain type of person that should no go to this school. Everyone that goes here finds a way to fit in and be accepted. This school is very culturaly diverse.

If I could go back and talk to myself in my senior year of high school I would tell myself to learn how to study better. I would tell myself that the days of just looking over material a few times is over, and that I would need to learn what way best fits me to be able to retain what I am reading and learning about. I would also tell myself that I need to get over my shyness and that if I do it would make it much eaiser for me to talk to students in class with me that are from a different place other than where I grew up, and it would be eaiser for me to meet new people and make new friends eaiser.

The best thing about Marshall University is its school spirit. It hast the ability to bring together a whole community. No matter what my school takes part in there are always supports there to cheeir it on.

Before I made the transition from high school to college, I wish I would have known how to study better. In high school I could just look over the material a few times and would be able to recall everything that I had read. Once I got to college it was a completly different situation. If I would have had better study skills in high school, it might have made the transition into the world of college studying a much eaiser task.

Wade

My classmates at Marshall vary in work ethic, some are very bright and they can pick up on concepts easier, some don't come to class, and then the rest are a mix of mastry and below mastry students.

First , I would make myself take the ACT test again to possibly get a higher score for scholarships I missed by 1 or 2 points. Then I would enforce how procrastination is not a very wise thing to use. Also, I would make sure to get all I could out of my science and math classes instead of just focusing on "getting through". Next, I would tell myself how to deal with the work load by repitition, especially in Math. To make sure you don't get behind on assignments, and to make plans for what you need to get done each day. Put time into each subject no matter how difficult the class or work is. Do not count on "one"night studying to be sufficient in getting you the grade desire, because that is not a very wise strategy. Finally, I would work on diligence, because this word is key to your work ethic. The more you surround yourself with your work/concepts/job, the more naturally things will come. So, basically work hard and stay focused on the goal that is set before me, which is to obtain a degree with the least amount of setbacks possible.

It isn't very personal, and doesn't help reveal your hidden intrests that you are unaware of. I think it doesn't influence you on a personal level. I have a tough time finding the unknown intrests in my life in order to persue my future.

Candace

Having the knowledge that I do now about college, I would give myself advice about numerous things. First , I would tell myself to have more confidence in whatever I do. I would also tell myself that if I want to succeed than I need to have great communication skills, social skills, and be able to stay determined, dedicated, and motivated no matter what happens. Another piece of advice I'd give would be to stay true to myself and not let what others think affect me. Finally, I would let myself know that it is okay to make mistakes because it is how you learn from them and become a stronger person.

The worst thing about Marshall University is receiving financial aid late. As a fellow student as well as hearing from other students, financial aid is the most frustrating. The process of receiving financial aid is inconvenient and time-consuming. As students, on a limited budget, we are not given enough time to make necessary accommodations. An example of this would be the inablitily to obtain or afford essential items, such as books, school supplies, and other expenses.

Of course, at Marshall University anyone is welcome ; however, in order to be successful, they need to meet the academic requirements and possess qualities like determination, motivation, social skills, communication skills, organizational skills, leadership skills, and be active in organizations on and off campus.

Marshall University is a diverse enviornment which makes for a good learning eviorment becuase you can learn other cultures and points of views of others, and be able to further your learning by others experiences and making new ones of your own.

Marshall University is best known for its abbilty to come toghether not only as a school, but the ability to bring a whole community. When something bad or tragic happens, my school does not dwell in it, but rises up and learns from the experience so that if it were to happen again, we would know how to deal with the situation and this makes my school a very good enviornment to be in.

If I could go back to my 18 year old self, in my senior year of high school, I would tell myself that I need to develop better study habits. I would let myself know that the days of being able to study the night before a test and do well on it are coming to an end. I would let myself know that the transition to college is more difficult than i expect it to be and to take the advice of the others around me who have already been through the college experience and actually know what they are talking about.

Marshall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.