Huntington, WV
Marshall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marshall University

Laura

Probably the movie We Are Marshall, our science department, and football even though we haven't been good for a while

It is important not only to find a college or university that has your field of study but to also find the school where the atmosphere fits your personality and learning style. One of the most important things to look for is diversity. You should be able to explore different cultures, traditions, and styles within the safety net of your quasi-adult stage of life. You will never have another time in yoiur life where you will be able to interact and explore as freely.

I wish I had known a little bit more about the surrounding city of Huntington

Tovah

I would tell them to visit the schools while classes are in session before they make their decision. This would give them a feel for what it is like to be a student there on a typical school day. Also they should ask students questions about the faculty and staff. That way they can see how caring or uncaring they may be. They should also ask about any extracurriculars they may be interested in.

I wish I would have known how hot Huntington can get. I wish I would have known how cold it can get in the winter.

I brag about our campus. It's beautiful, small, and flat. I brag about getting to go to Division 1 football games for free. I brag about the friends I've made here.

Matt

Just look at what the college offers and make sure it's what you will need. Also, look at the campus itself as far as size, diversity, etc. and see if you actually like it and wouldn't care to live there 8 months of the year.

The quality of education because our football team sucks so I can't brag on them

Sean

The popularity and fame of this school has become much greater in recent years due to the movie We Are...Marshall!

I would advise them to look for the most affordable, and best academically rated college that they could find.

John

It's history of hard-working students and professors that all have a sense of pride for attending the university.

Consider the environment, whether it would facilitate your learning experience or hinder it. You should take time to visit the campus and surrounding area, meet professors, and see what type of students with whom you would be sharing this learning experience. See how focused the university is on what field of learning you will be focusing on, and if you are not sure of what you would like to have as your focus, then see if they have a good career counseling center. Make sure that they have enough extra-curricular activities in which you can involve yourself. Find out how you can balance your social life by inquiring of both their study facilities and what students generally do for fun. Look into the types of intramural sports, clubs, and other activities you can get involved in around campus, which will all help you be involved in the college or university as much as possible. Finally take notice of your ?gut feeling? for the campus. Sometimes there are things that you may not be aware of as unpleasant to you or not fitting to your personality. However, if you feel comfortable there, keep that school on your list of possibilities.

It's challenging academics allow me to think in different ways that I would not have before.

Kelly

Look for a school that offers a wide variety of majors, unless you already know what you want to do. Talk to your professors, they don't bite and get paid to see you succeed. Also as a student never be afraid to speak up in class. You will be amazed at what a difference it will make on your experience. These professors will also know who you are and can be great resourse when you need recomendation letter after you graduate.

The worst thing about MU is that the incoming lower classmen seem to have no respect for their professors. This creates sometimes an unconfortable enviroment because it can get in the way of actual learning.

I am currently not frustrated about anything.

Holly

Research about the college and go for walk throughs of the colleges. You never really know what the bigger problems will be until you get there. You can always change colleges just make sure of how many credits will transfer and if it's worth it.

Read, read, and read. You cannnot depend on lectures to get you through, you need to read the books.

The online classes. Most of my degree is offered online so I can work more hours and learn what I really need to know for my degree.

Marshall University is best known for 2 things: Football and Education. I do believe that I get the best education possible at Marshall and the teachers are always available for you at all times. I've learned alot there and I want to finish my Master's at Marshall.

I would tell parents that every school has partiers, so don't focus on that. Look at the good things that the school or students from that school have accomplished. All schools are expensive but they have options to help paying for it easier and they have their own scholarships so be sure to look into that. Also just because a community college is frowned upon on a resume doesn't mean your child can't go there for a couple years to take the first year of classes there, most of the classes have nothing to do with their degree anyway, so you will be finishing a year of college and only paying 1/4 or less of the tuition. One more thing don't ever tell your child they can't make it in college or that they can decide if they want to go or not, because without a college education they can't make it through life. Always be positive and help them through college, because it's not easy like high school and with finicial strain ontop of that makes you wanna give up so always be positive.

The worst thing about Marshall University is parking. Theres not enough parking for those who can't afford to buy a parking pass. I have to arrive 1-1.5 hours early for class just to make sure I get a parking meter so that I don't have to walk a mile or two in the dark after classes and I can't afford to purchase a parking pass not to mention when you do buy a pass it's only good for certain parking lots which means I still have to walk a mile or more at night.

sheryl

Its important to start early to take advantage of all available financial aid and scholarship opportunities. Make sure and take a campus tour and see the dorms or available housing to make sure it meets yours needs. Get involved in campus life and if at all possible stay on campus the first year.

Marshall is a great college with great professors and staff

Marshall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.