Huntington, WV
Marshall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marshall University

Meghan
What are some hot-button issues on campus?

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

The promtotion of tolerance is a huge thing here at Marshall. With such a large and diverse student body, we have to be open and accepting of the beliefs and values of others. At the very beginning of the year we had a meeting on tolerance which has been followed by guest speakers, a play entitled Tunnel of Oppression, and other activities as well. Fortunatly for us, this isn't so much a huge issue on campus and is mostly addressed for the sake of prevention.

I know that all incoming freshman are going to be sick of hearing this, but they need to be aware that it isn't like high school. The work load is harder and you have to be careful of how you manage your time. I can't stress that enough. The first day of school you need to get a planner and be sure to keep your life in it. You'll get real busy real fast so you need to come up with some way to keep track of everything and keep on the ball.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

My first game day! Marshall was nothing but a sea of green and everyone was cheering and pumped up all day for the first big game. It was all we talked about in class and out of class. I had never been to a college football game before and boy was it an experience! Everyone yelling and screaming, the band and blaring speakers, and the excitment was incredible!

That is one of the best things about college. NO MORE STEREOTYPES!!! Sure you still have the athaletes, the yeager scholars, and the greeks, but that is just what activities they are involved in. It doesn't define who they are or dictate any other area of their lifes except for that. Everyone can just be themselves, explore all of their interests, and be accepted as they are.

What's the dating scene like?

People will often go out on dates a few times before they actually declare each other boyfriend and girlfriend. Alot of people are looking for meaningful relationships (some even hoping to find their soulmates) and some are looking to have fun and date around. Just like with everyone else, it depends on the person. There are plenty of options for the dates here though, whether you want to go out to dinner, grab a coffee in the campus Starbucks, take a walk in Ritter park or down by the river, or catch a movie or a show.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Most people mainly just take classes that will benefit their major. The advisors are always quick to discourage adding in random classes unless they count as your electives. In some ways you do have options though. For example, everyone has to have a fine arts credit. In that particular subject, the majority of people seem to pick music over art or theater.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Drinko Library! It is a big and quiet library on campus with study rooms, tutors, a writing center (where you can get help on a paper), computers, printers, and anything else you might need. There are no distractions and no disturbances.

Describe a typical weekend.

Most people's weekends start off with rolling out of bed at eleven for brunch and from there they can go anywhere. You can go shopping, catch a movie or show, get caught up on homework, go to the rec center, or just chill out with your friends. The possibilities are endless.

Alot of people seem to think college jocks and greeks do a lot of partying and things of that nature but it isn't true. Sure, some of them do but in the same way that some band kids do or some science majors do. One of the great things about college is that you don't have stereotypical cliques like you did in high school.

Once a year, on November 14th, we all gather around the memorial fountain for a ceremony in remeberance of the plane crash of 1930. We lost our football team in staff in the fatal crash, a devestating blow, but we rose from those ashes and recovered, bringing our school even closer together than it had been before. If you don't know this story, they made a movie about it. Look up We Are Marshall.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I know that I have changed alot. In the first semester of college I became alot more mature that I had been and alot more responsible. My parents even commented on it when I came home for Thanksgiving break.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

That is between you and your parents. I try to call home at least every other day, not for my sake, but just to let my parents know that I'm doing okay. Sometimes I get caught up and don't even call that often. If you want to call home, there is no set number of times that are okay its just how often you want to. Just be sure that you don't let homesickness get in the way of enjoying and adapting to college life.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Transitioning into being completly responisible for yourself. If you oversleep for class you mom isn't there to wake you up. Chances are your classes won't be in the same buildings so you won't have a teacher to help you find the room your looking for. You also have to make sure to remeber any work you have to do for your classes because until you make new friends you probably won't know anyone in you classes first starting off so you won't have anyone to remind you that you have that paper to write or chapter to read. It's a big change to be completly on your own for the first time.

One thing that no one ever mentioned was how important it was to be active in class, especially with yout fellow classmates! Building relationships with your peers allows you to be able to work collaborativley with them. I can't tell you how many times I've shared books and printers, studied with classmates, and been reminded of deadlines by the people I shared a course with. You can't sit idly by in class you have to be active and friendly.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose Marshall University first and foremost because it is praised for it's Fine Arts and Education program and I am a theater and english education major. Aside from the academics it just seemed to be the perfect school for me. It had reasonable class sizes that allowed me to still get individual attention from proffessors, is a big campus but compact so that everything is within walking distance, and is in a big city but still manages to keep that small town community feeling. There is always somthing to do and the whole are has a big focus on the arts. It also helped that it was two hours from home which is the perfect distance in my opinion. I'm out of the house and on my own but I can still go home if I need or want too which is somthing that I think is very important.

I love Marshall! The best thing is that you can walk anywhere you want to go and you can walk to any class within 5 minutes. The only thing I would change about the school is upgrade some of the dorms. Marshall is just the right size and the teachers are really helpful and nice. i would reccomend Marshall to anyone who is serious about their education.

The students at Marshall are very nice and some are very competitive. Most of the students are from in-state and live relatively close to campus.

I am in the Lewis College of Business and it is a really good department to be in. I am an accounting major and all the professors I have had are very helpful and nice. I would definitely reccomend it to anyone. The requirement to get your degree are given to you your first semester and you can follow it and reference it anytime you like.

When I was thinking about coming to Marshall I was told that Marshall was full of drinkers who partied all the time instead of going to class. Once I got there I found that there were a select few who were like that but as long as you keep your head in the books you will make it through with no problems. I have saw those people who drank all the time when I am out and about and they usually tell me that they either failed their first semester or they are barely hanging on to D's. I have A's and B's and I can still have fun without all of the partying so don't believe everything you hear.

My school, Marshall University, is best known for their outstanding school spirit and loyalty. Every person who has ever attended Marshall University would agree with my statement. No matter if our sports teams are ranked number one or one hundred the students, staff and community remain loyal to this school one hundred percent. This has to be one of the biggest reasons Marshall University attracts so many students and even visitors. Marshall is not just a university, it's a family.

Compared to other schools, Marshall University has an outstanding history. A history that not many schools will ever have or desire to have. Marsall encountered a horrific tragedy foutry some years ago when our football team, coaching staff, family members, and fans were killed in a terrible plane crash. From this accident, Marshall had to fight through some of the toughest battles any school has ever encountered. This accident brought this university and it's students, staff, alumni, and community together as a family. The school spirit these men and women created still lives on today.

If I was given the ability to go back in time and revist myself as a high school senior after experiencing college life first hand, I would need a couple of days to express the advice I would have for myself. First, I would tell myself how important it is now to start practicing effective study and work habbits. A person never quite understands how important these qualities are to have for your college career. Contrary to popular belief, college isn't one big party. Secondly, I would express the importance to myself of putting myself out there, getting involved, and meeting new people. My mother always told me, "the friends you make in college are the friends you'll have for life". If a person doesn't enjoy themselves from time to time, they are ultimately setting themselves up for failure. It is important to remember that with hard work, comes reward. All in all, college is one of the most precious and valuable real life learning experiences that cannot be marked with a price. If we could travel back in time to prepare ourselves, it would ultimately take the learning aspect away from the priceless experience.

Britney

I think the best thing about this school is the staff. We have great teachers who really want you to learn and educate you fully. If I could change one thing, it would be the location, we are in the middle of a very dangerous neighborhood with a lot of criminal activity. My favorite thing is school pride, which we pretty much swim in here at MU!

The most common thing to do on campus is to join a sport, sorrority, or fraternity.

The students at MU come from all ethnic, racial, religious, and economical backgrounds. We support and encourage each other through the diversity!

Awesome! All of the professors know you by name, unless your in an incredibly large Bio class, of like 150 people. My favorite class is psychology, my least favorite is communications.

There are many stereotypes at my school. From being goth, a frat boy, to a LARPER(Live Action Role Player). To a certain extent they are accurate. They are a part of thast person, but they are not the total person. Like the saying goes, if you judge a book by it's cover, you might miss out on a good story...

Tanesha

Wow, if I could push rewind and talk to my high school self, what a difference! My freshmen year was imperative to me. I would be on Honor Roll, no exceptions. I would’ve succeeded, but one obstacle, Social Studies. Being mature, I would say, every subject matters even if it’s your least favorite. I would’ve prospered during my sophomore year, but the culprit was World History. Tanesha, World History is important; do you not want to know more about where you came from? Some of yesterday’s histories play a major part on today. Finally, junior year arrives. I did it, I accomplished my goal! I was number seven out of ninety-nine, scholarships here I come! Uh-Oh, senior year blues. The senior drop out syndrome prevailed. The people I wanted to acknowledge my achievements didn’t. The Tanesha now would say, if nobody else cares, you have to care yourself. Build yourself up and don’t take no for an answer. As a consequence of my break-down, I graduated out of summer school. The Tanesha of 2012 would say do your best, because when you don’t the later consequences will hurt.

Max

Max, pay more attention and do all of your homework. take notes and stay organized. Slow down, and focus on school, if you do you will find things will be easier for you. you can do anything you set your mind to. Oh yeah, wake the fuck up.

Nick

Marshall University is an old, academic school that has seen many hardships and is the underdog but still finds its way to the top, in West Virginia.

The would say, "Get your act together! Stop sleeping in class and not turning in your homework. Having a high GPA is very important in college, but if you don't care, that's fine too. College is honestly the best time of your life, not high school. You go to class only for a few hours a day, which is very manageable. Giving you the rest of the day to make friends, join groups, but also to do your homework. When you do get to college, keep in mind that the cafeteria food still stinks.

The professors, in my opinion, are the best thing about Marshall Univesity. Many are very qualified for the job, if not overly qualified. They are very hands on and even with a larger class they find time for everyone. There are only a handful that do not meet this description.

Marshall is a great school! It is in a city so there is always something going on but it is not a big city. The university itself is a couple of city blocks so you can get anywhere in ten minutes or less. Also our campus is very flat so not a lot of hills, which is great! The class sizes are small (usually around 30) and the professor will always get to know their students. While living on or off campus is good too!! As a freshmen you can have you own bathroom that you share with a roommate. There are also plenty of apartments around campus that are within walking distance that you have an option to live in as an upperclassman.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I loved the campus and the some of it. I also like to travel and meet new people so I thought it would be a great way to get to meet new people by going some where no class to home.

I am heavily involved on campus. I currently am a student ambassador, I give tours to prospective students, I am an RA in the freshmen residence halls, I am committee member for Relay for Life, and I am also in the professional chemistry fraternity. So I am always busy doing something but there is always a group for students. The great thing is if there is not a group that interest you, you and some friends can create the group or club. Athletic events are big on campus and as a full time student you receive a free ticket to all home games on a first come first serve basis. One big thing that happens every year is the plane crass ceremony, which takes place every year on November 14th. There is also something going on constantly whether its a program that is going on inside the residents halls or a musical down at the Keith Albee. We have this thing called the Marshall Artist series where full time students can get a free ticket to all events that they have going on, from international film festivals, concerts, or musicals.

Our campus is very diverse I would have to say. We have tons of different groups for almost every interest a student may have. We have a LGBT office, we also have a lot of inter nation students, and we have a lot of different religious groups within a lot of different denominations. At first it seems like everyone os from West Virginia but once you get to meet people there are people from all over the United States and the World.

I am a science major so most of my classes are science classes. One good thing about marshall is the size so students do get more attention from professors and there are some classes, like honors, classes that get more hands on experience. If you live on campus we have these things called LLC's (living learning communities) where you can live with people in your same college or interest as you. This is good for studying because there are people down the hall from you who are in the same class as you. So you can ask them for help on homework or study for a test. One good thing is that Marshall has four year plans for all of its bachelors degrees so you can see what your prospective course of study is so you can graduate in four years.

Well being in west virginia people seem to think the school is a bunch of rednecks. That is not totally true. There is a good mix of students here and not just one "type" of student.

Lyndsey

I really like being a Marshall student. I love the Division 1 sports games! And the classes/professors have all been really good so far. There are a lot of clubs- including Greek Life so there are plenty of ways to get involved on campus. I think it's the perfect size- about 10,000 undergrads- so it's not too big or too small. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm or hanging outside by the Student Center when the weather is nice. Huntington is definitely a "college town". It's a small city and a lot of the local businesses run deals for Marshall students or just support Marshall. The administrative system, honestly, is a bit screwy but it's not too too bad most of the time. There is definitely a lot of school pride here, especially because we have a big in-state rival- WVU. The most frequent student complaints are: for out of state kids, like me, there is not much on campus to do during the weekend unless there's a game and the food is not the best- it's OK, not great.

Describe the dorms.

The Marshall dorms are really nice for the most part. The First Year Residence Halls (North and South) are only a few years old and are really nice- each room has its own bathroom! Twin Towers (East and West) and Holderby are the older dorms on campus and not super nice- Towers has doubles and singles and Holderby is all singles. Buskirk is the all girls dorm with doubles and singles. Towers, Holderby, and Buskirk all have community bathrooms. Then there are the 4 buildings that make up Commons- Haymaker, Gibson, Wellman and Willis (the Honors dorm)- these are made up of suites- either 4 person suites with 2 doubles or 4 singles or 8 person suites with 4 doubles- with a living room, bathroom (2 for an 8 person suite) and the bedrooms.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to come to Marshall because it has one of the top forensic programs in the country, for both undergrads and grads. I also chose it because I loved the campus- it had a really good energy to it, was pretty, and wasn't too big or too small.

The most popular groups to join on campus is the fraternities and sororities. Greek Life is a big part of Marshall and while not everyone is in it, a good number of students choose to be. I'm involved with the Student Athlete program as a tutor, 3 honors societies, the Honors College and am in the pledge process of the chemistry fraternity Alpha Chi Sigma. The chem frat is definitely a good group to be in not only as a resume-builder but because they do community service and take cool trips (such as a fall amusement park trip and spring ski trip) and it's a way to interact with other science majors and professors. Athletic events are extremely popular at Marshall- mainly football and basketball. There is a memorial ceremony every November 14 to honor the plane crash that killed the Marshall football team in 1970- it's an amazing thing to be a part of. There are some things to do that don't involve drinking. There is Pullman Square which is the downtown shopping area with a movie theater, theater, restaurants and shopping and there is also the mall. There is not a lot going on on campus during the weekends unless there is a sporting event.

Marshall has a somewhat diverse student body. Geography-wise, the students are mainly from West Virginia, Kentucky, and Ohio (the Tri-state region) and we have a large number of Asian international students. But besides that, there are not a ton of out of state students or international students. There is definitely a lot of Christianity on campus since that is the predominant religion in West Virginia. Marshall itself is not religious but there are a lot of student groups and clubs that are. Coming with the Christianity and being in West Virginia, there are a lot of conservative view points when it comes to politics. There aren't really different "types" of students, everyone kind of intermingles. Most students wear either jeans or sweatpants to class and there is a range of "dressy" to casual in terms of tops.

There are 3 common stereotypes I have observed at Marshall: the frat/sorority kids, the jocks, and the rednecks (to be expected being at school in West Virginia). Not to say that everyone fits into these, because my friends and I sure don't, but there are a lot of kids like this on campus.

I think Marshall is a wonderful university. There is an extreme level of school pride here that brings people together. It's not a very large campus which in my opinion is a good thing. Everything is very centralized and easy to get to. There are a variety of organizations on campus that are all very active which makes it easy to find a group that you fit in well with on campus. When I came to this school I knew absolutely no one on campus or in the town but it didn't take long to make friends and they became friends that I will have for the rest of my life.

One of the great things about Marshall being such a small campus is that the professors don't deal with giant classes and are able to get to know each and every student. The professors that I have come into contact with have always been willing to help a student as much as possible in and out of class. Many of my professors have given out their personal cell phone numbers so that students are always able to get a hold of them if they have any questions about the coursework. Many of the classes involve participation and hands on work which I believe is more effective than your standard lecture classes.

Marshall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.