Huntington, WV
Marshall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marshall University

Marshall is a great school! It is in a city so there is always something going on but it is not a big city. The university itself is a couple of city blocks so you can get anywhere in ten minutes or less. Also our campus is very flat so not a lot of hills, which is great! The class sizes are small (usually around 30) and the professor will always get to know their students. While living on or off campus is good too!! As a freshmen you can have you own bathroom that you share with a roommate. There are also plenty of apartments around campus that are within walking distance that you have an option to live in as an upperclassman.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I loved the campus and the some of it. I also like to travel and meet new people so I thought it would be a great way to get to meet new people by going some where no class to home.

I am heavily involved on campus. I currently am a student ambassador, I give tours to prospective students, I am an RA in the freshmen residence halls, I am committee member for Relay for Life, and I am also in the professional chemistry fraternity. So I am always busy doing something but there is always a group for students. The great thing is if there is not a group that interest you, you and some friends can create the group or club. Athletic events are big on campus and as a full time student you receive a free ticket to all home games on a first come first serve basis. One big thing that happens every year is the plane crass ceremony, which takes place every year on November 14th. There is also something going on constantly whether its a program that is going on inside the residents halls or a musical down at the Keith Albee. We have this thing called the Marshall Artist series where full time students can get a free ticket to all events that they have going on, from international film festivals, concerts, or musicals.

Our campus is very diverse I would have to say. We have tons of different groups for almost every interest a student may have. We have a LGBT office, we also have a lot of inter nation students, and we have a lot of different religious groups within a lot of different denominations. At first it seems like everyone os from West Virginia but once you get to meet people there are people from all over the United States and the World.

I am a science major so most of my classes are science classes. One good thing about marshall is the size so students do get more attention from professors and there are some classes, like honors, classes that get more hands on experience. If you live on campus we have these things called LLC's (living learning communities) where you can live with people in your same college or interest as you. This is good for studying because there are people down the hall from you who are in the same class as you. So you can ask them for help on homework or study for a test. One good thing is that Marshall has four year plans for all of its bachelors degrees so you can see what your prospective course of study is so you can graduate in four years.

Well being in west virginia people seem to think the school is a bunch of rednecks. That is not totally true. There is a good mix of students here and not just one "type" of student.

Lyndsey

I really like being a Marshall student. I love the Division 1 sports games! And the classes/professors have all been really good so far. There are a lot of clubs- including Greek Life so there are plenty of ways to get involved on campus. I think it's the perfect size- about 10,000 undergrads- so it's not too big or too small. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm or hanging outside by the Student Center when the weather is nice. Huntington is definitely a "college town". It's a small city and a lot of the local businesses run deals for Marshall students or just support Marshall. The administrative system, honestly, is a bit screwy but it's not too too bad most of the time. There is definitely a lot of school pride here, especially because we have a big in-state rival- WVU. The most frequent student complaints are: for out of state kids, like me, there is not much on campus to do during the weekend unless there's a game and the food is not the best- it's OK, not great.

Describe the dorms.

The Marshall dorms are really nice for the most part. The First Year Residence Halls (North and South) are only a few years old and are really nice- each room has its own bathroom! Twin Towers (East and West) and Holderby are the older dorms on campus and not super nice- Towers has doubles and singles and Holderby is all singles. Buskirk is the all girls dorm with doubles and singles. Towers, Holderby, and Buskirk all have community bathrooms. Then there are the 4 buildings that make up Commons- Haymaker, Gibson, Wellman and Willis (the Honors dorm)- these are made up of suites- either 4 person suites with 2 doubles or 4 singles or 8 person suites with 4 doubles- with a living room, bathroom (2 for an 8 person suite) and the bedrooms.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to come to Marshall because it has one of the top forensic programs in the country, for both undergrads and grads. I also chose it because I loved the campus- it had a really good energy to it, was pretty, and wasn't too big or too small.

The most popular groups to join on campus is the fraternities and sororities. Greek Life is a big part of Marshall and while not everyone is in it, a good number of students choose to be. I'm involved with the Student Athlete program as a tutor, 3 honors societies, the Honors College and am in the pledge process of the chemistry fraternity Alpha Chi Sigma. The chem frat is definitely a good group to be in not only as a resume-builder but because they do community service and take cool trips (such as a fall amusement park trip and spring ski trip) and it's a way to interact with other science majors and professors. Athletic events are extremely popular at Marshall- mainly football and basketball. There is a memorial ceremony every November 14 to honor the plane crash that killed the Marshall football team in 1970- it's an amazing thing to be a part of. There are some things to do that don't involve drinking. There is Pullman Square which is the downtown shopping area with a movie theater, theater, restaurants and shopping and there is also the mall. There is not a lot going on on campus during the weekends unless there is a sporting event.

Marshall has a somewhat diverse student body. Geography-wise, the students are mainly from West Virginia, Kentucky, and Ohio (the Tri-state region) and we have a large number of Asian international students. But besides that, there are not a ton of out of state students or international students. There is definitely a lot of Christianity on campus since that is the predominant religion in West Virginia. Marshall itself is not religious but there are a lot of student groups and clubs that are. Coming with the Christianity and being in West Virginia, there are a lot of conservative view points when it comes to politics. There aren't really different "types" of students, everyone kind of intermingles. Most students wear either jeans or sweatpants to class and there is a range of "dressy" to casual in terms of tops.

There are 3 common stereotypes I have observed at Marshall: the frat/sorority kids, the jocks, and the rednecks (to be expected being at school in West Virginia). Not to say that everyone fits into these, because my friends and I sure don't, but there are a lot of kids like this on campus.

I think Marshall is a wonderful university. There is an extreme level of school pride here that brings people together. It's not a very large campus which in my opinion is a good thing. Everything is very centralized and easy to get to. There are a variety of organizations on campus that are all very active which makes it easy to find a group that you fit in well with on campus. When I came to this school I knew absolutely no one on campus or in the town but it didn't take long to make friends and they became friends that I will have for the rest of my life.

One of the great things about Marshall being such a small campus is that the professors don't deal with giant classes and are able to get to know each and every student. The professors that I have come into contact with have always been willing to help a student as much as possible in and out of class. Many of my professors have given out their personal cell phone numbers so that students are always able to get a hold of them if they have any questions about the coursework. Many of the classes involve participation and hands on work which I believe is more effective than your standard lecture classes.

Renita

My school is the perfect combination of smaller classes, newer technology, and experienced teachers.

My classmates were usually enjoyable and engaging people.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, myself probably wouldn’t listen. Although intelligence is a blessing it is almost always accompanied by an equivalent ignorance. However, the path we take to enlightenment of any sort is a life experience and should be seen as such. Since high school, I have learned the things I was so determined to accomplish turned out to be like blinders to the things I was missing out on. Given the opportunity to attempt to explain this to my 18 year old self would be an interesting challenge. Luckily, I know she isn’t afraid to question, explore, or fight for what she knows is right for us; and that her journey for righteousness will most certainly be a rewarding venture.

For me, the school size is just right. You can walk across the whole campus in around ten minutes. Perfect for when you are running late! When I tell people, who are not familiar with Marshall, that I go to there have usually have never heard it and only recognize it when I familiarize them about the movie We Are Marshall they respond "oh yeah!" I spend most of my time on campus in Smith hall just because I am in the nursing program and all of the classes are usually held there. My freshman year I hung around the fountain that is a great place to meet people. There is a lack of communication is seems at Marshall between buildings because when looking for answers you are usually told go ask this person or you get told different information from different buildings. What I really hate about the campus is that a lot of people smoke and the sidewalks are not very big so if you are walking behind someone who is smoking you usually are hacking the whole way to class because of the smoke. There is school pride to an extent, when the team starts to lose the student section fades away.

A lot of my professors know my name! All the teachers I have had have generally been very kind and personal. Studying depends on your major, from what I have observed, education majors usually never studying while nursing majors are studying all the time. Education at Marshall, specifically the nursing program is about learning and getting a job. The classes seem to try to prepare us to pass the NCLEX while generally trying to get us to retain information and know the pathophysiology of the patients we care for.

I think there may be a country or red-neck stereotypical view at Marshall just because of the fact that it is in West Virginia. Regarding the students, yes there are cliques and everyone has their own friends but what I've found at Marshall is that everyone is very kind and welcoming. There are jocks, frat kids, yeagers, and those of us who are just there to get our degree. I would say that there is no specific stereotype to the students of Marshall.

Briana

Marshall University is amazing! It's located in Huntington, WV, which is a small city and complete college town. The university is located above the heart of the city, but once you're on campus, you'd never believe you're in the middle of a city. School pride is off the charts, and it's a great atmosphere.

There's a little everything at Marsall. The athletics department is a big part of the school, and the Campus Christian Center usually has something going on as well. There are tons of things to do around campus; for example, there's a nice coffeeshop right on the corner, and a shopping center right down the street, as well as a park.

The students at Marshall are very friendly and welcoming. There's always something going on, and everyone's invited.

Academics at Marshall are amazing as well. The campus is personal enough that you can really get close to your professors and make friends with them. The classes are a little difficult, but you learn so much.

There really aren't any stereotypes at Marshall. Everyone kind of just meshes together and gets along.

Madison

Best campus in West Virginia! The professors are amazing. I would recommend this university to anyone.

My classmates are very diverse. We have people from all around the world. I have never attended a place quite like Marshall. We have diversity from students to professors. It is a very dominate part of what Marshall is about. With all the diversity you would expect some conflict and cliques, of course those are unavoidable, but everyone accepts eachothers differences. It is like everyone at Marshall gets to be the minority.

Madison(The High School Student), High school is the easiest thing you will ever do in your entire life! Deal with the meaningless quizzes, homework, and tests and get good grades. Colleges base your intellegence off how you did in high school. Also, apply for as many scholaships as you possibly can. Don't worry about decidingon a major, you will change your mind about 100 times. Don't sweat the small things in high school, because your in for an awakening when you get to college. Your pillow and you will no longer have a relationship, instead you new friend, the library, will take care of you from now on. Apply for classes ahead of time. Studying will become a part of you lifestyle because the old high school "studying the period before your tests method" does not work anymore. Good Luck, Madison (The College Student)

Kimberli

I have been in college for over six years and I have learned so much more than I ever thought I could. I have had four different majors and while that has taken a lot of time and a lot of money, it has given me a well-rounded education. I have become much more outgoing, more passionate and more well spoken. I have made friendships that will last a lifetime. My time in college has not only taught me information on subjects relevant to my classes, but information that can help me for the rest of my life. Even if I never get a job in my chosen field, I feel like I have learned priceless academic and life lessons in college. The interactions I have had with faculty, fellow students and active members of my community are invaluable to me.

There aren't many bad things about my school. I'd say the worst thing would be the lack of ability to get through a 4-year degree in 4 years. There are just so many classes that you have to take to graduate, it's dificult for most people to finish on time.

The most frustrating thing about my school is probably the amount of money that the sports department gets. There is no need for the basketball locker rooms to have flat screen televisions when art students are forced to spend over $700 for a photography class.

Kara

While my fellow classmates planned for their futures during high school, I procrastinated and put off planning my own. I offered words of encouragement and advice telling them they would succeed at whatever they put their minds to, but I never thought about what I would do with my own life. Seeing as I needed to seriously consider a school for my future, I then turned to Macomb Community College as the college I would spend the next few years of my life. Whoever says community college is not worth while has clearly never looked into the value and education it brings to an individual. I have met so many interesting people, of all ages, and the education I am getting costs less and is of equal value to a university. I feel safe and comfortable in the friendly neighborhood that houses this beautiful and easily navigable campus. The professors are easy to communicate with and are very understanding. MCC provides a variety of classes, as well as relatively small class sizes that allow the professors to communicate with all of their students. The material is presented in a manner that is reasonable and fair.

Brooke

Marshall provides an great atmosphere for students to focus on academics.

Marshall provides an great atmosphere for students to focus on academics.

Marshall has provided me with the oppurtunity to continue my education. I am a single mother and many colleges are not focused on helping untraditional students. I am recieving a quality education that will in turn provide my son with a better life. The degree that I plan to graduate with will enable to haave a steady income. This will allow my son to have a better life than that of most children of single parents. This is all thanks to Marshall Univeristy. They have helped me schedule classes that a time that worked for me and my son. THey have also helped me with paying for college. The degree I will recieve from Marshall will advance my life and, more importantly, my son's life in ways most people can not imagine.

The financial aid is not released until days before the semester starts.

Marshall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.