Marshall University

« See more reviews of Marshall University

I wish that I would have realized that I needed to apply to attend Marshall. I was a dual credit student, and I attended Marshall half day, but my highschool advisor didn't inform me i needed to reapply to Marshall. There were a lot of people from my highschool that attend Marshall. Sororities are very active in the recruiment of new freshman. Luckily, my older cousin advised me against sororities before I got to Marshall. It's advice that is worth passing along.

I wish I had known this was the school for me instead of wasting a year at my previous school. I wish I had known how tough college would be. I was a straight-A student in high school, and only rarely had to crack a book. The transition was overwhelming. Although I expected a drastic change, I didn't think it'd be as hard for me as it was. I wish I would have went to Marshall, first of all, and I wish I would have known how much harder I had to work to succeed.

One thing that no one ever mentioned was how important it was to be active in class, especially with yout fellow classmates! Building relationships with your peers allows you to be able to work collaborativley with them. I can't tell you how many times I've shared books and printers, studied with classmates, and been reminded of deadlines by the people I shared a course with. You can't sit idly by in class you have to be active and friendly.

Before I made the transition from high school to college, I wish I would have known how to study better. In high school I could just look over the material a few times and would be able to recall everything that I had read. Once I got to college it was a completly different situation. If I would have had better study skills in high school, it might have made the transition into the world of college studying a much eaiser task.

I wish I would have known how my university tends to be a "suitcase campus," whereby many students from the surrounding area go home nearly every weekend. As my home was 6 hours away from my university, I rarely went home, and therefore found the dorms very lonely my first semester of my freshman year. I would have liked to better prepare myself for this solitude had I known in advance.

I left high school with poor studying skills, although I was an A-student. the teachers at Marshall University expect their students to learn the respective disciplines; therefore, each student is responsible for studying the material. During my Freshman year, I had trouble studying, but I eventually found techniques that work for me and made the Dean's List for both terms.

I wish I would have known more about the surrounding area. Huntington is not what one would consider a 'college town.' You have to be creative when finding things to do in your spare time. I also wish I would've known that it is largely a commuting school meaning: dead weekends. I wasn't prepared to be bored in college.

If you are a commuter, like myself, participating in student organizations can be very difficult. Having to drive 30 to 40 minutes to attend a hour meeting kinda crazy and wastes money on gasoline. If you work evenings, joining an organization is nearly impossible for all the meetings are in the evenings.

I wish I would have known about the events that happen on campus. There are so many opportunities to get involved at Marshall, but not a lot of exposure to them. I also wish I would have known that rooming with your best friend is not the greatest idea in the world!

I wish I would have known how many students actually attend Marshall University. The amount of students that are there is more than I originally imagined.