Marshall University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Marshall University

Jacqueline

I have really enjoyed my two years at Marshall University and I’m grateful to have chosen it as my school. Although it is a big small, I still feel like I’m getting the coveted college experience that you see in movies and TV shows. My class sizes have been manageable and my professors have always been available.

Ever since I was in high school, I always wanted to come to Marshall University to continue my education. Marshall University is a perfect fit for me, and my education needs. Their tradition and values are something that I have, and will always admire. Every person here at and around Marshall University is very helpful, and want you to succeed in anything that you do.

Jessie

Overall, Marshall University is a great college. I enjoy all the activities they provide on campus. I prefer a smaller campus and classes, which makes Marshall a perfect fit for me. The professors go out of their way to make sure the students understand the material and help in any way they can. I feel safe on campus but I always travel with someone just to be extra safe. The pride and respect the students have for the university is unbelievable. I just love Marshall!

marie

Marshall University is an outstanding University. The professors care greatly about the students and often staying after hours to ensure student needs. Campus is centrally located in the downtown area. It is very easy to get to shops and restaurants, and the city its self caters to Marshall University Students. Marshall University is truly a unique experience.

Angelica

Marshall University is a home for all who attend, and even those who visit. There are many opportunities and clubs that cater to a variety of interests for students including, but not limited to, athletics, politics, and subjects specific to different majors. Housing and Residence services do their best for students, professors always have open doors, and Old Main holds a variety of services that help students with their financial needs. The campus is beautiful and there are many places to hang out and study, or have fun with friends. The surrounding area also provides entertainment for students in the afternoons after classes, and weekends. Students are actively engaged in activities and organizations and clubs constantly encourage involvement. Coming to Marshall has been a life changing experience and I feel that it has opened doors for myself and other students.

Brean

Even though my father is an alumnus of Marshall University, I wasn't sure what to expect when I began attending this fall. I already feel as though the professors care about my learning and want me to be successful in the future. I have the sense of belonging to a community and truly a "Son (Daughter) of Marshall."

Avery

I love Marshall University. It feels just like home and there are also people available around the clock to help with school work.

Casey

Marshall is our home. Everything we have accomplished and all of our success is thanks to the education and support my husband and I have received from our Herd family. We bleed GREEN and always will. Our son hopes to attend MU after high school. Our family began at Marshall, and we are continually impressed by the updates to the facilities and campus.

Big school, in a small town. Not really much goes on off campus. Everyone knows of everyone which is cool, and no one is a stranger. Super friendly people. One cool thing if the village which is the campus apartments, they're extremely nice and walking distance to rec and stadium.

The campus is small enough that no one who lives on campus has to drive to class. It's close to a lot of restraints and stores. The people and teachers are kind and helpful. The library has a lot of resources. The food is not the best but is still good. Tuition is a little expensive, but it's a great school. Huntington is an overall nice town.

Bailey

Loved the school when i visited about a year ago. Im super excited to go here. The people that ive met so far seem great and i cant wait to make new friends. im excited to see what classes i have and to meet my roommate. im sure this will be a great experiance

Jeremiah

I loved attending Marshall University. It is a great school with top-notch professors and a fantastic career oriented student body. I was in the art program but or medical programs are also nationally recognized with some of the best doctors on staff to help with hands-on learning.

Kristyn

The size of Marshall University is very overwhelming, the class size and campus size is huge. The staff is not very helpful. Also, the tuition is very expensive and they do not offer many scholarships. If I could go back, I do not think I would be attending Marshall University.

Drake

I have loved every second that I've been at Marshall University. The academics are excellent, and the facilities are almost all up to date. Help is always offered both in terms of financial and academic situations. I plan on continuing my education at Marshall after receiving my bachelors degree.

Matthew

The best. decision.ever is to transfer! Dangerous place to live and the admin staff do not communicate. They're "standards" are so high that unless you make A's across the board you can't quality for government student loans. If you can get past the nightly shootings and meth users you may be okay. I'm a student with disabilities and they made so many mistakes! So glad to be leaving

Overall, I am very proud of my university. The campus is beautiful and comprised of many interesting buildings and facilities. I love that the newer ones are sleek, modern, and comfortable, but the old ones are historic and fascinating! Every professor I have had or talked to have been incredibly warm, friendly, and knowledgeable -- I haven't a single complaint about my instructors. Similarly, most of the students I've encountered have made me really proud of my community and generation. There's a lot of variety and diversity, but they're genuinely quite intelligent and approachable. On campus, we have access to some wonderful restaurants without having to travel far from campus. There's Pizza Hut, Starbucks, Chik-fil-A, and a variety of local landmarks. We have access to free counselling and transportation, and a lot of the local businesses provide student discounts. I would say that the worst part about Marshall is the paperwork and registration process. I had some bad experiences with the College of Education and specifically with my advisor. Textbooks and tuition are costly, but it could be a lot worse. The city of Huntington has a very troubling drug problem, which often results in crime. And worst of all, the university administration do not seem very supportive of sexual assault victims. Their attitudes toward sexual assault and rape culture MUST change.

Clarissa

Marshall University is a unique college that offers a little bit of everything. It sits right off of the Ohio River in one of the worst cities I have ever encountered, Huntington, WV. Marshall tries its hardest to make up for its surroundings, and I was tremendously impressed by the Anthropology program. My professors answered any and all questions I had in a timely manner, and my academic advisor was the best. I still contact him whenever I have questions even though I attend graduate school at another university. I cannot speak for the other programs, but I had a successful academic career at Marshall. There were always activities going on at the university. If school activities are not your scene, there is plenty to do in the surrounding area. However, make sure you are equipped with pepper spray if you plan on staying out at night. In my opinion, Marshall University is a great school in an unfortunate location.

Kassandra

Marshall university is a great school to attend as the history of it resonates through many other states. It has plenty to offer in regards to studies and extracurricular activities. It appreciates and accepts those of different ethic backgrounds and is a really fun environment.

Katie

Marshall University gives students who desire to learn the opportunity to do just that. However, I find that the required general classes are too many and do not pertain to most majors. The campus is smaller, which is nice, but parking still seems to be forever away from any of the classrooms.

Morgan

I really like Marshall University. When I first stepped on campus I knew that this was where I wanted to go without having to tour. It feels like a second home and I feel welcome no matter where I am. Marshall University was the best choice I could have ever made.

Marshall University is a big college that treats everyone as a family. We are brothers and sisters that look out for each other and do our best to succeed. Whenever you are on campus there are tons of activites to join into and communicate with new people. Everyday you can meet new people and get into the community.

Mary Anna

Attending Marshall University is a family tradition - my grandmother attended for her degree in education, my mom and aunt both attended for a degree in education, but I was extremely reluctant to go to Marshall. Not because I wanted to end a "legacy," but because I felt that the academic program in my particular field of study, Liberal Arts, was not up to what I would like it to be, and to a degree I was right. While my professors for my Latin, Greek, and Classics classes are fantastic, there are only two and our budget is forever shrinking to the much more well-funded and advertised STEM programs and majors on campus, as well as the Athletic programs. For being the only place of higher education in the state to offer a Classics or a Latin program, it's shocking and saddening to see how little it is appreciated, especially with such well-respected professors in the Classical community. Marshall is a smaller campus, and certain general education classes will be pretty packed, but Huntington is a wonderful community; I've grown up in the area for my entire life. Marshall would be the best bet for a student wanting a quality STEM education, especially in forensics or engineering, the two most highly-regarded majors at the university, while also looking for a school and area that won't rack up much debt. Plus for all those sports fans, the football stadium is right across the street for most dorms and the Rec Center is really top-notch.

Christopher

I love going to Marshall. I am close to home and still getting an awesome education. Both my mom and grandad are Marshall Graduates and It was the only school that I wanted to go to. I have ADHD and the disability department have need helping me learn to manage my difficulties by getting the help I need. My professors have been awesome and have answered questions helped with homework. I have had a great experience so far.

Savannah

I love it! It has become my home away from home and I can’t wait to return this fall! My program is very challenging and competitive and I always feel like there is help available to me if I need it. The accommodations provided by the school are wonderful and are always improving.

john

i think it will be a good school for me

McAyla

Marshall University is an excellent school, especially for those who feel like they want to express themselves to their best ability. It is an extremely tolerant and accepting environment and deeply encourages its students to pursue whatever makes them happiest, including the arts, which are known to sometimes be swept under the rug in favor of sports at lots of colleges.

Alexis

I have only visited Marshalls campus but I really enjoyed it there. I have spent many hours researching colleges and seeing what the best option for me would be, and I decided Marshall was the best way to go. They have low tuition, and a great living environment on and off campus. I can not wait to join the Herd.

While Marshall has its positives and negatives, it is an overall decent college. One positive is that the campus comes together as a community and people are always helpful. Some downfalls are that there is a high rate of crime surrounding the campus, just really common in Huntington. Another negative is that the college claims a wide range of diversity, while it is not very commonly seen while on campus. Lastly, the campus dining hall is expensive overall and the food is not good.

Donovan

Rules are outrageous and rarely enforced properly,, on campus housing is awful, money not spent well, lackluster security, only cameras on side of campus with dorms is to monitor a new statue, dining halls are disgusting, internet is absolutely awful.

This school is generally a positive experience, in my opinion. The city of Huntington may be flawed, and it has its areas where people may feel unsafe, but those areas are known to students and generally avoided. People are easy to talk to, and making new friends is not challenging. There are enough students so that one is likely to find others with shared interests. The university is politically and intellectually diverse. Overall, I find the school to be enjoyable and challenging in its coursework. I truly am glad to have chosen Marshall.

jazmin

Marshall University is an overall good school, but just like any other school, it could use a little fixing. If it's not administrators continuously making mistakes, it's the faulty building work. Majority of teachers go out their way to make sure you're understanding the material, and you're passing. One of the best features of Marshall, would be their on campus activities; they're always creating something for us to do.

Marshall University is in the center of Huntington, West Virginia. With plenty to do and see we take advantage of this during home games which brings in thousands of dollars in revenue. We have several programs to choose from and all are important to the college in their own way. We never leave someone out and most importantly we do it all for the 75 who lost their lives in the plane crash on November 14, 1970. We are...

Iliana

I love it and I cannot wait to attend!!!!

Overall Marshall University is a safe well rounded school. The academics and athletics are competitive and there is plenty of things to do on and around campus. Cosmic bowling at Strike Zone Bowling Center and Marshall at the Movies at Paullam Square are just two of the many enjoyable activities offered through the Campus Activities Board.

Bianca

I love the campus and the people around campus. There is always something to get involved in when you have nothing to do. The classes are better than I expected. The professors stay active in your life and they all hope you get better in everything you do.

chelsee

I love being a marshall student, GO HERD! There are so many different opportunities available at marshall university! Football games are my favorite thing to attend and a great way to have some fun after studying all week for classes! I am a nursing student and in my opinion marshall has the best programs and courses offered for my path and I am so glad I chose Marshall!

Airianna

It's a great school. The staff genuinely care and are here to help us succeed. There's lots to do on campus. The food choices are amazing, including options for students with food allergies or dietary restrictions. The people are great, I've made lots of new friends.

Kionna

My overall opinion about Marshall University is that they are a good diverse university with plenty of academic that helps you reach your full potential! This is my last full year at this university and I would be proud to be a alumni of this university .

Marshall University is like a home away from home. The campus is beautiful and I can get to class in no time. The professor are easy to talk to and access to resources are a breeze. The Memorial Student Center is always buzzing with students around the fountain.

John

University with accessible classrooms and professors to ensure learning in smaller class settings. Large array of academic programs available. Lots to do. Many extracurricular activities available for students. Great school. Many activities available off campus as well.

Olivia

A great school. My family has all gone here and I’m excited for my child to attend in the future! They have amazing programs, and the professors I have had have been extremely helpful. I can’t wait to become an alumni of this school like the rest of my family has!

Christina

It's a great school to visit! It's very beautiful in the day. Over time there are many activities going on outside that you can just sit down and watch. Most of the time it's ROTC classes and runners for Track or Cross Country. The buildings are quite nice inside too, and the outside greenery really makes the campus something to look at!

Nina

I would like to return as a student

Gabrielle

Marshall University is fantastic. The dorms are good for the most part, but the internet on campus is rather unreliable if you try to study in your dorm. All the professors I have met so far are fair and understanding, and we have many resources to help students out like a Counseling center that is free to students and a Textbook Loan Program where you can borrow textbooks for three hours without having to pay a ton of money. You are safe when you are on campus, but it is not recommended that you stray from 5th Avenue or go past the train tracks by the Sheets gas station down the road.

Kitana

Overall, marshall is a decent place, reason being is because it not too good at some aspects (off campus housing), but its also not bad either. I wouldn’t rate it as one of the best academically, nor would i rate it the worst. It varies by major (as it would for most schools), for example marshall is better overall for nursing, but not so great for art. It offers a decent education for a reasonable price. It is also in the middle of Huntington wv, also known as “the Detroit of West Virginia” for various reasons (drugs and shootings). The streets are very narrow and it can be easy to get lost looking for the campus, especially if you are not from the city. Even though marshall is located in the heart of a city, it doesnt feel like you’re in one, more like a park. You dont often see non collage student/staff on campus, or if you do they’re walking their dog. Marshalls campus is very safe in my opinion, considering they have their own police department. Marshall is very much aware that they are located in a not-so-safe city, so they are tying their best to make us feel safe. They do this by adding these beacon like things all over campus. You press a button and it sends the police to the location. I dont think ive ever not felt safe on campus except when school is not in session (winter break and such) or crossing the street. As for the shops around campus, there are few that i know of (as in off campus but still near) there is a dominos, subway, wendys, mcdonals within a 5 minute walk if campus. I also know of a movie theater nearby the campus. As for the food thats actually on campus, there not much to say. There used to be two dining halls (buffet), but they closed down the good one (towers) to put in some restaurants you have to spend cash on and not meal swipes. The ‘bad’ dining hall is harless. Many students have gotten food poisoning/ found dead bugs in food (including myself). As if that wasn’t bad enough, they serve the same hing everyday, no variation what so ever, and very little food for the late nighters (people studying late and deciding to get food) Now compared to the ‘good’ dining hall (towers) they had alot of variation , very few food poisoning/dead bugs in food, nicer staff, and plenty of food for the late nighters. As for housing, well they’re alright. Some housing is great (freshman dorms), but after that it goes all downhill. There is towers which has communal bathrooms and one washer/dryer per floor) there Is buskirk (all female) which is similar to towers, then theres this one i forgot its name (starts with a g? Whatever its near the c-store) which doesnt have a/c and communal bathrooms, lastly theres commons. Its the most expensive of the housing and one of the nicest. It has bathrooms per floor along wits its own lobby and you share it with 3 people, but you all get your own rooms. There are also a few abandoned buildings on campus, which isnt good, so overall its decent. Tl;dr Pros: -feels like a park -safe -food -LGBTQ friendly -small classes Cons: -food -location -decisions they made -abandoned buildings

Nicholas

Very nice school with a beautiful campus and many opportunities for students. When I visited Marshall University, the students and tou guides were very helpful in directing us where to go. I noticed many campus policemen patrolling the area, making it feel very safe and inviting. The dorms were fantastic to other schools we have visited.

Jaelin

I like it here, it gives me a home away from home feeling. I've met some great people here that I will know for the rest of my life. I've also had some experiences, such as concerts, that I will always remember. Life here isn't bad at all, some classes can be a little bit hard though, depending on your major.

Logan

My overall opinion of Marshall is it's a great school for continuing your education. Marshall offers many degrees and has buildings on campus designated for certain areas of study, such as a science center and an engineering building. Class sizes can vary and so can professor/student quality, but that comes with any school. You can keep track of everything you need on your home page in Blackboard, such as your classes and assignments/grades for each class, registration information, an event calendar, a campus directory (with the emails of all of the professors and students on campus), and a feature called Degree Works, where you can see how close you are to your degree, see which classes you still need to complete, and even see what you would need if you switched your major to something else (this came in handy for me, as I switched my major myself). Everything at Marshall is easily attainable and it's very easy to make friends, as the school has around 5,000 students who attend each year.

Aubrey

I think Marshall is a great school for someone who is looking for a smaller campus, but still wants to get the full college experience. Most professors are great and they want you to succeed. The main reason I am leaving Marshall is because they do not have the major I am wanting to change to and the area is severely lacking in opportunity. I also did not feel at home there, but that is a just a matter of my own personal opinion. Overall, the campus is beautiful with many opportunities to get involved, the food is pretty good for a college, and the small campus (about a 10-minute walk anywhere) makes it feel safer.

Jordan

My first experiences of Marshall University was as a visitor but my next will be as a student. I attended their Green and White Day and got to look at their dorms, cafeteria and student center. The dorms were in great shape and the sizes were spacious considering it fits two people. The education programs cater to anyone and everyone. Campus security makes safety a priority for each and every student. That's why I chose Marshall University to continue my education.