Mary Baldwin University Top Questions

Dear high school Me, Are you having a wonderful time applying to colleges? Are you still searching for that perfect balance of fun and academics, of stress and relaxation? Well, I have news for you: college is not about being free from your parents to do whatever you wish. While you are away from home, you will take on a tremendous amount of responsibility unlike anything you have encountered before. No one will tell you what time to be home. No one will tell you to go to class or write your papers. No one will tell you to shower or do your laundry. You must value yourself and your success more than anything else. In college, you are the only one who is looking out for you. You will discover your independent self, new strengths, and new weaknesses. So, while the whole world seems to crash down upon you while you're completely on your own, remember this: you will come out of college prepared to take on what the world throws at you. Use this time to improve yourself, not focus on all the unproductive things you can now do while without parental supervision.

Kymiesha

I would tell myself to learn better study habits and time management skills. I would also try to break myself out of the habit of procrastination and shyness. I found myself trrying to rush to get my assignments done and turn them in. When I had other things to do other than my work I was unsure if how to balance out the two. Now I would tell myself to take advantage of the study groups. I would tell myself to interact with the other students so that maybe I could be the one to create theses study groups. I would then teach myself to use my free time wisely.

kayla

If i could give myself advise about college i would say apply for every scholarship out there because it can get really stressful paying for college. Stay focused on worl even though this is an all girl school, you can get destracted easily by wanting to go hangout with friends. Stay on top of your homework because professors will not always remind you what is due. Study any chance you get it will be worth while. Go to every tutoring option they have on campus. Do work a head of time so you dont have to cram your work in one day or night. Find things to release any stress you may have but dont blow off home work. Make a designated time for home work.

Senior year. Being a senior in high school for me was kind of like being in the limbo of life- I was not a child anymore but I was not quite an adult living in the “real” world either. So many questions needed answers, answers that I didn’t have then and some that I still don’t have now. I think that is what worried me the most- not knowing exactly what was out in the real world. If I could go back and give my high school self some advice I would tell myself to take a deep breath and accept the fact that I don’t have to have all the answers right now. I was so worried about what my future in college would hold that it was sometimes hard to enjoy the time I had left in high school. Had I known then what I know now, my transition to college would have been a lot smoother.

Sherri

I did not have a good advisor while in high school and therfor did not know about all the opportunities out there. I would tell my high school self to do research on colleges and scholarships and to apply before I graduated.

Kimberly

Don't be scared. Try your best and everything will fall into place.

Joshua

If i could go back in time as a senior again i would tell myself to save some money for myself instead of spending it on clothes if i had saved my money i wouldnt have any problems with finance. I would be set because i would have learn how to manage my money instead of blowing it I think this would be a great leasson to learn during my senior year.

ROSALINDA

The advive i would give to myself would be to prepare myself for a different learning experience. colllege is not like high school you become independent and value the education you are receiving, especially in this economy. less people are given the chance to get a college education so i would tell myself to take adavantage of the opportunity i have. studying and keeping your grades up needs to be priority. in college you dont have teachers telling you, you have to do your homeowork. its your responsibility to get things done, you learn to grow up and do things on your own. basically in one sentence take advantage of your education oppurtunity and prepare to become independent and responsible.

Kathryn

Personally, I would say to enjoy the summer before more than anything. Since I did leave school early I was not able to take part in all the senior actvities and I would have to say that I miss being able to do that. Also, to have fun but not to go overboard. Don't take too many credits and plan out a study schedule. Additionally, make sure that when you come to school to discuss all of the boundaries in your room with your roommate. The roommate contract will be what keeps you sane throughout the year. Don't try to fo everything that you did in high school. Pick a couple of things and stick with it. Don't take it personally if you don't get a posistion that you tried out/pledged/or ran for. There truly is a opportunity for each one that is gone. Finally, don't stress out. The first semester will be hard and the classes will be big. But you can do it. Just plan out your schedule and remeber that you don't have the amount of free time that you think you do.

Christian

The first time I attended UCF, I was straight out of high school. I found housing off campus. My roommates were upperclassmen, and big partiers. I thought I wanted to be an engineer, but soon realized, I wanted to party and live the "college life" instead. This caused me to get academically suspended from UCF. 12 years later, here I am, back in school, persuing my true calling (physical therapy). My early college years taught me alot and showed me what I shouldn't do to get my degree. Although, my early college years set me back on my goal, it gave me time to really figure out what I am meant to do. I wouldn't have done it any other way, (I just wish I hadn't waited 11 years after my suspension to go back.) Such is life. I've been attending a Community college for 2 years now, and about to re-enroll in UCF. I brought my GPA from a 1.66 to a 2.54. I have my previouse college experiences to thank for that.

Amber

While attending Mary Baldwin College, I have grown into a confident and compassionate change-making leader. I have been involved in student leader positions, played varsity softball, and been a part of the only all female corps of cadets in the world. I have been able to come from a low middle class home and take the values that were instilled in me and use them in my life away from home. I stive for excellence in all I do and never take failure for an answer.

Kathryn

Attending Mary Baldwin has made me a stronger more independent person. I was afraid to be on my own but the community here has made me feel more secure. I like not having a mass amount of boys around because I feel that it gives me more time to grow as an individual and not worry about relationships. The classes here are amazing and I have learned quite a bit in just one semester. The friendships I have made here are great. I feel like an all around better person after coming here. I never had much school spirit in high school but I truly do love Mary Baldwin and can not wait to spend the next three years of my life here.

Patrick

College has been extremely beneficial to attend. First of all, I have learned to be very independent. You are the person who will determine if you are successful or not. I have also learned to expand my critical thinking and look at the world in a more sophisticated way. To learn more about what is going on around you, will make you more like to succeed in the future. Attending college has also given me more of an opportunity to experience and get an understanding of what careers I may want to look into. I was able to enter an internship with the local fire department through my school. There I have been able to gain valuable experience in a field that I am interested in. Attending college has forced me to grow into an adult and that I am fortunate.

Tara

I have always believed in the strength of femininity and equality among the genders, and this belief has been enhanced by my experience at Mary Baldwin. Also, as an English major, I have had an incredible variety of professors from all over the world. They are brilliant in their knowledge of the subject and caring toward the well-being of their students, and in regards to these professors, I have gained more of an appreciation for the English language. On the whole, I have become a self-assured woman, confident in my English abilities and strong in my individuality.

Alexandra

I've been playing piano for almost fourteen years; however, I never thought music would be a career choice. I received my AA for art in the spring of 2009 and didn't plan on going back to school; I wanted to focus on becoming an actress. But it always seemed like I was being led toward the music. I work as an accompanist at my alma mater and I've been a member of the choirs at College of the Canyons for almost two years. Being a member of the Chamber choir has truly inspired me like I never thought I would ever be as a musician. Being around so many talented people who know that's what they want to do forever, made me realize that I want to make music too. I have learned so much, not just about music, but as Me, the musician. I never considered myself a true musician until I became a part of the Chamber choir. So, for the actress who wasn't planning on going back to school, I do have to say, that I have never been so excited to start the rest of my life as a musician. [

Celia

As student in an early college program, I can truly say that my situation is unique: my parents moved out of the country before my freshman year and left me to pursue my life. College has allowed me to find academic challenges that weren't available in high school. I've made lifelong friends and learned lifelong skills. When you start college at 15, there's a lot to adjust to in addition to suddenly being away from your family. People ask you to make your own decisions before you're even an adult. Traditional students discriminate against you because of age. In many such situations, I think I would feel like I'm missing out on the real "college experience", but I don't. I am a stronger, better, more mature person because I have had to become so, to be able to consider myself a college student. College has made me more motivated and more independent. I wouldn't trade my experience for any other.

Amber

I have gotten a wonderful life experience that I truly love. I want to be able to change schools but I skipped high school to attend college at Mary Baldwin. I love this oppertunity their program for exceptionally gifted young girls have given to me. I try my best and I love all I do at the school. Aside from the stairs I also wish there were more guys around to hang out with. A bunch of girls can get pretty anoying. But I still love it.

Amelia

I would say, get involved in on and off campus activities. Talk to people and get out of your comfort zone. College is about making new freinds and making a network of people. Try everything, but most of all be responsible. You are an adult and you are accountable for your actions. Know your limits, and above all take care of yourself. Know when you need to study and when you need a break. Have faith that you will get through those hard days, and enjoy the days that make you smile. Always find time for your self. Ask the obivious questions, and always read your text books. Get enough sleep, eat well, and excercise. Finally I would say, don't be afraid to be who you are, people should like you for YOU and not someone they want you to be.

Sharon

If I could go back in time and talk to Sharon as a high school senior I would tell her that it is extremely important to stay focused and determined. College is an experience that not many individuals have the opportunity to take advantage of. Regardless of circumstances and every day life situations, which are very likely to arise, if you stay motivated you will be able to attain your goals. The longer you wait to pursue your higher education, the less likely it is that you will go. Don't let anyone bring you down or speak negativity on your life. If you fall off in school, have enough fortitude to get back up again and keep moving. Tradgeties and unexpected set backs may occur, however if you know where you are trying to go, you can always remember that it doesn't have to hold you down. Definitely don't take too many breaks from school because this will only push you back and could cause you to lose your motivation. Going to college guarantees that you will gain more knowledge that no one can take away from you. Seize the opportunity!

Michelle

I?ve always been passionate about math and science. Craving more academic challenge, I discovered Mary Baldwin College?s Program for the Exceptionally Gifted (PEG) and was accepted as a fully matriculated college student at the age of 13. I?ve earned 68 credits, earning a 4.0 GPA and my coursework includes Organic Chemistry, Discrete Math and Linear Algebra. I participated in environmental chemistry research this past semester and was hired as a Calculus tutor at age 14. I am a Chemistry major, minoring in Math and Economics. I plan to pursue a Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry. My ultimate goal is to earn a degree in law, focusing on a science-related field, such as patent or environmental law. My confidence in my abilities to succeed is based upon my determination, focus, and disciplined study habits. The PEG program, for women ages 13-17, www.mbc.edu/PEG is only for self disciplined, determined students. I would not recommend it as an escape from high school. It is a safe, serene campus with a very friendly population. My choices have not always been popular but I?m very happy with my decision, it satisfied my need for challenge.

Melanie

In 10th grade, I became interested in an early entrance program that enables bright and driven young women who are ready for a challenge, to skip high school. Mary Baldwin?s Program for the Exceptionally Gifted (PEG) www.mbc.edu/peg offers motivated students age 13 to 17 a way to accelerate their education by enrolling full time as a residential college student pursuing a bachelor?s degree. Now that I am a sophomore at age 16, and a Biochemistry major, would I do it again? Absolutely. To date, in college I?ve studied General Chemistry, Biology, Medical Anthropology, Calculus and Ethics among other liberal arts classes. In this upcoming semester I will delve deeper into Genetics, Anatomy, and Biology of Women. I?ve had the opportunity to study alongside other talented young women as intellectual peers. The opportunity to reach my goal to become a medical researcher earlier, has made my journey an immensely exciting experience while enabling me to study independently. The PEG program, specifically its science program and research opportunities, will be my stepping stone to medical school at an early age in my quest to find cures to the many diseases that plague the human condition.

Kathryn

I did not attend college directly after high school, as many of my friends did. I sincerely wish I could talk to my high school self and tell her not to let the opportunity for a traditional college experience pass her by! For years, I could not pass young people proudly posing for pictures in graduation attire without wanting to cry. I think I could have been very happy in college. I would tell myself not to be afraid and to embrace the experience. I would like to have attended a college in another state, to get some distance from my family and learn to stand on my own feet. I would tell her to enjoy finding out who she is, and to not apologize for it!

Jaquana

The advice I will give myself is be yourself by not letting others influence you. Stay focus on your career goals and don't stress out. If you need advice from your teachers or peers ask because the will help you. Don't wait to the last minute to do your work and turn in all assignments on time. College is not real hard all you have to do is manage your time properly so you can complete everything you need to on time. Making friends with your peers is helpful so you don't have to spend your whole college experience alone. Also joining clubs on campus is a fun experience where you can meet alot of people and maybe go to other colleges to compete and get to know other college students.

Amber

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, when I was in high school, I would say one thing: do not stress over college, it is very similar to high school. If I had known that college would be almost the same as my high school environment was, then I would not have tormented myself over what to expect when I started college. I would have been more relaxed and performed better, academically, than I did. And the most important thing is that I would have been more at ease, had more fun, and taken more life experiences with me. If I had had that advice I would have been less stressed, so I would have studied better, and I would have participated in more campus activities.

Jen

One thing I would definitely say to my high school senior self would be to not expect college life to fulfill my exact expectations. I had a certain picture in my mind of how living at college would be, but I have learned that if you enter a situation thinking that you know exactly how it will be, there will always be disappointments. Sometimes certain aspects of college life drive me crazy, but you just have to learn to let them go and appreciate all of the benefits of college life, such as the close friendships you will make and all of the opportunities which will allow you to expand yourself and your knowledge. There are certainly disappointments, but there are also aspects of college life which I did not expect and which are some of my favorite parts about being at college, including the unforgettable moments that come from living in a dorm. Overall, my main advice to myself would be to keep an open mind and to enter the college life willing to embrace and accept every part of it.

Jonee'

If I could go back I would definitely be straight about putting my priorities first, and staying focused, and being you, because it gets hard even though you want to be focused on your education, you can get caught up in the drama, fun, and being close to others. I would also remind myself of how important it is to stay up on the financial aid process, and how important it is to ckeck on your account and just get scholarships, because they are available all year round. Also to take advantage of the resources that surround you because if you don't have many people to lean on their is always someone there, and something you can use to help you and build you, to remind you and boost your confidence that you can make it, and in the end it will be worth it.

Kelsey

I would tell myself not to be so concerned with what other people think. I would tell myself to work harder and and spend more time on homework and papers. Most importantly, though, I would tell myself to take advantage of every opporunity that comes my way.

Megan

Hit the ground running! Jump into new challanges and try new things. You will make new friends and keep your old ones. There will be people you connect with, and sometimes they'll come from unexpected places. Get involved! Your niche is there, just waiting for you to find it. Hundreds of opportunities are right in front of you, so grab them! Travel abroad, it's an amazing experience. But most importantly, try and figure out who you are and what you want to do with your life, and embrace it! Take chances. And be bold. (Boldy Baldwin!).

Jas

I would tell my self to prepare better, to study more, and to ask questions. I believe those are some of the most essential things that a college student needs to do in order to survive college life. It's been difficult for me because I've never had to ask questions before and now that I need to, I don't really know how to ask, what I should be asking, or how to go about explaining my confusion. I didn't really study much in high school either, but here it's necessary if I want to get at least a D on the test.

Tromila

To Parents: Allow your kids some breathing space. Do not force them into a particular school or a particular major; that school or major may have been the perfect fit for you or may have been your dream, but let your child find their own perfect fit. Maybe they will have to try four different majors before they find the one that will lead them into a career that will genuinely make them happy...and that is okay because that is what college is for. However, do not allow them to waste their four precious years. Do not tolerate binge drinking, skipping class, or bad grades. Pull them home or withdraw your funding if you have to, but do not use their explorations of a new world as an excuse to tie them down unless it is actually going to harm them or lead to irresponsible behavior later in life. Maybe they need to be in a play, or take a sociology class, or leave the business department...it will be okay. They will find their niche, and you will be happier because they will be happier...even if they do not have the lucrative job you always dreamed about.

Carla

One of the most important decisions made throughout one's lifetime is the decision to go to college, and the one chosen is an even greater decision. The "right" collge should make a person grow into who they want to be and shape their future career path. The college experience is one that should never be forgotten but also one that provides structure. However college is more than just an experience, it is what one gets out of it that determines how great their adventure afterwards. In other words, choosing the college that your child should attend is like choosing the first career path job after college. It is a decision that sticks with one for the rest of one's life, just like any other job experience. Everyone has their different preference in location, and I too would have chosen to be some place else, but the school itself is the most important. Therefore, the "right" college may not necessarily be first choice in secondary categories such as location, price, what the dorms look like, etc. Sometimes the ideal college is one that is second choice. The point is to always have options!

Laura

There are a plethora of resources out there--and they're not all paper-bound books. The internet has so many resources to offer beyonf school websites as well. There are school rating sites where actual students and alumni from the school dish about what their school is really like...look at these sites. You'll see what kind of students have attended, and if the lifestyle at that school is right for you!

Alexandra

The most important thing to do before deciding what college to go to, is to do as many college visits as possible!!! Think about what you want in a college, size, location (city, small town....), majority of gender ethnicity, religion, and financial costs. These are some examples of what to think of before you make your decision on a college or list of colleges. After you have picked your select few, take the time to make a visit, so you can actually visualize what it could be like. It is also a good idea to try to sit in a few classes or to spend the night at a college, so you can experience more than what a campus tour guide can tell you. Once you find the "right " college for you, one of the first departments to talk to would be the financial aid department. Usually if you really want to attend their school, they should do everything possible to get you there and help you financially along the way. Okay, so now your in college, what can you do to make the most of it? Number one, Don't be shy!! Do your best to be social.

Don't choose a college based solely on academic programs, though these are very important--choose a school that will force you to consider things that you may have never considered, a school that forces you to think outside the box. The college years are the time most people begin to examine their worldview, so attend as many special events your school offers, and you will be better prepared to enter the world of conflicting ideas and opinions with an open mind.

Christina

Look at all of your options. But in the end, let your child attend the college he or she want's to the most. I believe that if a student has a strong desite to attend a college, they will suceed.

I would advise students to actually imagine themselves attending the school, and visiting the college. Some schools offer prospecitves to stay overnight to see what student life is like, or to sit in on classes that you might be interested in, or taking a tour of the college. Many people are steered away from a women's college, but it's better than what people say. I strongly advise parents to encourage students to go to a smaller college/university. With a smaller college/university, you have a chance to meet professors and actually have a first and last name, where as other schools you are a social security number, or student ID number for the first 3 years of your undergraduate studies. Also, look to see ways your student can get involved on campus, is it competitive to get involved, or is it available? are questions you should ask an admissions councler when calling schools. Lastly, I would also encourage your student to obtain course catalogs from each school, so they know what school offers the type of classes they would like to take.

Jackie

The advice that I would give to any new coming family is find a school that you feel is closest to what kind of environment that you would like. If you like the tiny town with barely anything new to do is for you then try a tiny school, but if you like the city life then look out for more of those. But within your search you also need to pick a couple of the oppsite just so you can try and expand your mind and search. I would also go for what types of activities that you like, although school work is the most important thing to do in college many students wont be consumed into it for their entire four years, so having safe on campus activities to do is a must and a ton of fun. The enviornment and activites are what make or break a college experience, because if you are having fun in an area that you enjoy you will follow in the footsteps of you company, but if you're in an area thats not for you then you'll try and find more things for your taste and not worry about school.

Tiffany

As a maturing adult or an already mature adult you need to first know your own needs and limitations and have set expectations. From that you must search without relent or lowering your standards to find a college or university that keeps your needs and expectations in mind and high priority. Finding the right college or university is like finding a soulmate, at times we think we want one thing or can settle but in the end, not fully pursuing what we know to be necessary for ourselves will only shortchange one person.

Tia

I would encourage parents/students to look at as many schools as they can. Keep your financial abilities in mind, but do not let that limit the schools you consider. Students should follow their heart and gut feelings about a school because if you're not comforatble there you are going to regret making the decision to go there. Never sacrifice athletic programs for academic programs or vice versa. Visit the school twice, once on a guided tour, and once on your own to get the true feeling of the school.

Grace

An American Council on Education survey reported that 92{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of college graduates thought their education was worth it, and 78{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} would go back to the same institution if they could do it all over again. This means that whatever college one chooses, one is more than likely to overall be satisfied with their degree. Of course, there are some decisions of balancing that students/parents have to make: smaller classes and interested professors that know all of their students vs. a more diverse faculty with more classes to offer, the campus never stops partying vs this campus is dead on the weekends, etc., but I cannot say which is the best for everyone. What's important is what the student does when one arrives. 1. Attend your classes. It's the best pressure to do one's work. If one's social life is preventing one from attending classes, one might not be ready for this level of work quite yet. There is plenty of time to have fun and do work. 2. Get involved. One will only have so much work. Being helps one stay out of stupid dramas. Study. Stay focused. Have fun. The future will be great.

Allison

Make sure you thourghly investigate the school first. Visit the campus and find out if you can sit in on some of the classes to help you get a sense of class-size and how the proffessors operate. Once you're there, join clubs. Just one or two at first, so that you aren't overwhelmed once you start having a lot of schoolwork. This, and attending school functions such as sports games and dances, is a good way to make friends and integrate yourself into campus life. While you may feel homesick at first, it is best not to go home too often during the first semester as this can only make it worse. College can be a wonderful time to grow. Try new things - join clubs you might not have participated in back in high school. Try to have fun. Getting all your classwork done is important, but make sure you balance it out with social events. This will help to make college a more enjoyable and memorable experience. It's a good time to make friendships you will maintain into adulthood.

Ruth

Finding the right college is never easy. It will never be and easy process either. The only advice I can give anybody is to follow your gut instinct. If you fall in love with a college and or university just go for it. Another thing for the parents is to always trust your child no matter how much you dont agree with them. They will be the ones that have to live and study there so dont try to talk them out of it. One big thing about college is getting envolved. Try an join all the things that you've always wanted to try because this is your last chance. Just dont overload yourself because you want to leave some time for yourself.

Andrea

When it comes to finding the right college, alot of it is about the "fit" in so many aspects, and those aspects must be balanced. One must find a school that caters to their academic/professional interests, as well as challening the student to explore new horizons. There must also be a balance of academic and social activities- students are at the school to further their education, but without an outlet for stress and opportunities to relax, academics are likely to be the last thing on the student's mind. Price is also a very large deciding factor for many parents and students. Many institutions will offer financial aid that does not have to be paid back, and this is something that should be researched in full before a decision is made. Essentially, it comes down to the student's personal preference- large class size or small? Friendly professors and obnoxious classmates or disorganized professors and sociable classmates? Awesome dining hall and tiny dorms? Party on the weekend or a movie? Pay back loans for the rest of my life or pay out of pocket now? These are all things students and parents should consider before making a final decision.

Melanie

When choosing a college, consider what is best suited to you, in terms of academics, logistics, and campus life, rather than names or prestige. Choose a school that has multiple fields of interest so you're not tied down to one major, since it is likely that your major will change. Take location into account; is it rural or urban? Does it offer a lifestyle you can handle? Once you're in college, be sure to go to all your classes. Even if there's not a strict attendance policy, you will have an easier time and you will learn more--which is kind of the point. However, don't spend your time solely on your studies. A social life is also an important part of the experience. To this end, start making friends right away; go ahead and chat people up. Everyone is eager to make friends, so they'll be grateful you reached out. The rest of college is balancing your academic and social life. You'll learn to do this with practice.

Desaray

When searching for the right school for your child or yourself make sure that the school will be suitable to his/her person, emotion, and spiritual needs. Be sure to find a school that will allow the student to express his/her beliefs and opinions and has a friendly, openminded student body. Also look for a school that has close off-campus entertainment and a nearby hospital in emergency situations. To make the most out of your college experience, get involved. Sign up for clubs, participate in school-sponsored events, and get to know your roommate and other students on your hall. It is also great to get to know people of different cultural, religious, and ethnic backgrounds. They can expand your knowledge far beyond that which you learn in class. Speaking of class, you should also save a little time each day to study. Find a quiet area, free of distractions, to go over notes and review lectures. All of these suggestions can help you fiind a school and make the most of your experience there. The most important thing to remember is to have fun! You will always remember your college experience so make the most of it!