Mary Baldwin University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Mary Baldwin University

Malina

I hate it, the students can be rude, there is nothing in the area and no good research opportunities. some professors can also be rude and everything downtown is overpriced especially as a college student on a budget. There is nothing to do on or off campus because you're literally on a mountain top.

Tasha

Mary Baldwin University is good. It's much better than people give it credit for. The campus tries very hard to be involved in every aspect of everything, which can get a bit overwhelming, but is better than the apathetic alternative. The food is good.

Mary Baldwin University is a pleasant higher educational facility in terms of professors, class sizes, and student culture. The professors are very involved with promoting student success and have a passion for the subjects they teach, this gives students a greater enthusiasm to learn. Class sizes are between fifteen and thirty students. This relatively small class size allows for comfortable student discussions during class. Student culture at Mary Baldwin is very diverse; there are students from all across the United States and also international students. This diversity allows for varying points of view to be expressed during classes and this strengthens the learning experience at this university. However, there are a few aspects of student life that should be improved. Resident dorms are in need of preventative maintenance and renovations. The Freshman dorms do not have air conditioning; this causes problems during the beginning and the end of the school year because temperatures reach the high nineties. In the past year, two residence halls have had pipes burst; this left many students without water for laundry or showers for a few days. Overall, Mary Baldwin Univesity has dorms that are in need of remodeling and more preventative maintenance in order to improve residence life; however, student life in regards to academics is unique because of diverse students and faculty.

Melanie

While I have had to take time to adjust to the college life I have realized how hard Mary Baldwin is working to make our campus bigger and better. They have worked diligently to bring in more sports and helping to refurbish the dorms. Overall, I have grown to love Mary Baldwin and all its beauty.

Whitney

Mary Baldwin is a great school. Although small there are a lot of things going on and you get to know your professors on a more personal level.

Shayla

As much as I love MBU, I can honestly say that the housing and food sucks. There's a disconnect from what admissions says to what the campus is actually like. I do love the school though. They deleted my major before I came in (and didn't tell me), so I had to propose an independent major.

wei

很过分黄金分割交话费赶紧回家双方公司规范施工速度

I think that the University is beautiful, the scenery is gorgeous and the people are so kind all around. I think that the dorms are a bit old and have older furniture, there are not any sororities but the government committee is very involved and is willing to help to include more activities and such on campus. The academic classes are simple and although there a lot, they're not very challenging.

My overall opinion of my current school, Mary Baldwin University, is that it is absolutely amazing. I have been there twice to tour the campus. The campus itself is quite small, which I was looking for in the school that I chose. Oh, and the class size, its AMAZING! In each class the maximum number is around 17, compared to other colleges that have 20 plus students in a class at one time. I was looking for a college with a smaller class size because I like more 1 on 1 time with my teachers, it helps me learn and comprehend more. Overall, I love this college, it has everything I've ever wanted in a school, and they're doing everything they can to make my education better.

Katherine

Mary Baldwin University as a whole is a stable and safe environment to learn and grow within. It is an extremely inclusive space and people often are found involved in various activities. There are parts in which the University can improve but so far it does an excellent job in making freshman feel at home and allowing the upperclassman to further grow.

Saddened

When I went to Mary Baldwin College from Fall of 1983 until I graduated in May 1987, I would give the teaching a 4 out of a 5. There was always something to do back when I attended. The only negative I can attest to was the traumatic hazing experiences I suffered from my roommate and her clique my freshman year, one professor I had who tried to bed me (which he failed), a sexual predator peeking in my dorm window because the school refused to replace the broken blind, and the occasional girl who would intentionally undermine another student or professor if they didn't like them. It is now 2017, and Mary Baldwin I am sorry to say has become such a hostile backstabbing institution of higher learning that even though they offer more scholarships now and claim inclusiveness, your child is stepping into a volatile environment where if they disagree with or question any of the University' policies or practices, the school will publically denigrate them in the newspapers, on TV news, radio news, editorials, social media, and wherever else they can destroy your child' reputation. Mary Baldwin use to have a very supportive alumni base, but the schools Administration, Alumni Board, and Trustees excommunicated thousands of their female alumni when the alumni refused to support catastrophic changes and had questions concerning the schools finances. Your daughters are precious treasure and should never be treated as "Trifle". For those of you who have sons, let this tragedy be a wake up warning that if Mary Baldwin University treated thousands upon thousands of the female alumni so wantonly, at some point in the future, your son will end up as trifle also. Whether you have daughters or sons, if you love them, you will not send them to Mary Baldwin University. Instead you will send them to a different school that has honor and integrity.

Kylie

Mary Baldwin University is great overall. It gives you a chance to develop who you are through an excellent community. As for me, I have been able to excel on an academic standpoint and that has really motivated me. They also are very easy going and easy to work with which helps make it a great experience.

Bria

I believe that Mary Baldwin University is a very connected school with many opportunities. The small community atmosphere really helps my learning environment thrive. The isn't necessarily bad but it could use some work. They try to provide everything that we need and then some. They have a really great Social Work program with teachers who are really committed to helping their students pass. The effort seen from the school to connect with the students is very uplifting and I'm very proud to say that I'm a Mary Baldwin Student. Go Squirrels!

Desjourne

I love my college. It's small and has a beautiful view from all sides of the campus. I love the recent change to have the other eating facility open until 10 p.m. and I love that the library is open until midnight. The historic downtown is very cute and goes along with the history of the campus. I both love and hate that the campus is open because of potential danger. Although there are some things I may disagree with, I wouldn't want to enroll anywhere else.

Destinae

My overall opinion of Mary Baldwin University is that it's a great school with a lot of opportunity choices and learning environment. The campus is big but not to big , you are able to really get to know your professors and classmates which creates a good bond.

Anndreia

It is a medium sized school with a great teacher t student ratio, but there is not much to do around the school. The students make their own fun and the school provides a lot of amenities t compensate that issue. This is a great place to learn, but if you are looking for a big party school this is not it!

Haley

It is a small school, but that does not take away from its glamour. The beautiful town of Staunton is wrapped around the school and you will always see friendly faces. The class sizes are very small but that is not a bad thing! Transportation is readily available. Overall, a pretty good school. Just a little bit expensive in my opinion.

Jackson

This school is not a fun school. You go to class, study, and do it all over again. If you are a social person, this is not the place for you. There is a large diversity in school, but only less than 2,00 people who go here. This college is a very stereotypical liberal arts school with no activities.

Josie

This past semester was my first semester at Mary Baldwin University, but the forth semester in college (I attended a community college for two years, my last semester there was this spring but I went ahead and started at MBU as well). I actually am a online student, as well as many of there students are. And that can be diffcult, because I don't see my teachers in person. But MBU does such a great job at making sure I am doing what I need to at all times. There advisors have been so helpful, and never failed to answer my questions quickly (and I always have lots of questions). They provide me with lots of tools to be successful, such as scholarships and grants. And overall I truly love this school. This past semester was hard on a lot of students, but MBU stayed on top of things from the beginning, making sure keeping there students safe was the top protity. They made sure there students were provided with the tools they needed to do there work at home, and be able to finish this semester strong. Even though I was already online, many of my teachers understood how this was simply a unknown and scary time, and they gave us extra time to finish the work for the class. This school shows it students it cares, and that's what I love most about Mary Baldwin.

Catherine

Mary Baldwin University is a place that brings people together and help you find friends that you never thought you were going to find. The programs are great here and give every students something to do outside of class time. The size may seem big, but our classes are about an average of about 20 people which is great if you lie having more one-on-one time with your professor. Speaking of professors, all the professors here at MBU are super helpful and have office hours, and some have appointment based hours which is really helpful. The professors here push the students to their highest potential and help them in any way they can so that any student can thrive in life and go where they want to.

Alexis

Mary Baldwin University is a wonderful campus that promotes a variety of opportunities for students to get involved outside of the classroom. The small campus size provides students with the experience of getting to know their professors personally and always be able to see a familiar face on campus!

Erin

I loved it when I was in school. As an alum, I have a different opinion. The whole idea of single sex education is changing. I do not agree with the changes the administration is making to the campus or HOW they are making those changes. The current administration is horrible!

Amaya

From a score to 1 - 10, with 10 being the highest. I would say out of all the colleges I visit this is by far a 10. The people I met has been very helpful. The students appears to be friendly,. The instructors know you by name not as a number.. Mary Baldwin has smaller classroom side, means better education.

Aayana

Mary Baldwin University is a great school in terms of class size and academics. You get a true one on one experience and really get to know your professor most times. However, Mary Baldwin also fails to care about their students in some aspects. Students' mental health have seriously decayed from either sports coaches maltreatment or the school's neglect of personal feelings and issues. Students often have to find and account for their own degree success as most adviser's know little to nothing about keeping you on track to be successful for your degree in 4 years. Unless you account for your own personal success you will most often get stuck completing an extra year for unknown requirements. Students also do not have a true say at Mary Baldwin. Athletes have complained of mental abuse from their coaches and racist remarks towards certain players of certain affiliation and no consequences have been taken. In fact, said coaches have gotten rewarded with a promotion, raise, or accolades for this behavior. Athletes have been singled out for their individuality and looks and the university has taken no measures to correct this. Lastly, when athletes have felt safe and confided in higher authority they have been mocked, belittled, or cast off. The only upside to Mary Baldwin is CERTAIN faculty members like the financial aid office, and members of the teaching staff have shown true compassion and honesty towards students. If Mary Baldwin were to be rated on a scale of 1-5, 3 stars are sufficient only because of certain teachers and faculty members who have upheld the original reputation Mary Baldwin presents itself as to prospective students.