Marymount California University Top Questions

Kenley

You will not end up where you want to be, but it will be okay. Plans change, and some colleges choose other people, but you will be great where you end up. That boy that is in your life will not be there once college starts, but that is okay too. College starts a new chapter in your life, and you meet new people that open up doors you could not even imagine. It's okay not to know who you are or what you are going to be, but hopefully someday you will, because in March of your freshman year at college, you still won't know what you wanna do with your life. There's time. Live in the now and enjoy your friends and being so close to your family. You willl get homesick, but your mom is only a phone call away. Give her extra hugs and make more great memories with her while you're still at home. You'll relish all those memories when you're apart from her.

I have gone back to school because after my current life experiences I have learned an invaluable lesson. If you want to better yourself you have to first lay the foundation in order to do so. When I first finished high school, I thought I knew everything and felt that I did not need a college degree. I did not appreciate what my parents were trying to tell me so I left home. I ended up marrying a soldier I thought was a good honorable man who ended up stealing from my family to support his drug habit. He left me and our new baby. Also my hourly job turned into a nightmare. After disputes with management, I quit. This all led to my decision that I needed to provide the best life I can for my son. In order to do this I need a college degree. I decided to major in psychology and pursue a career in counseling where I can help others who are going through the same things that I went through. At this point in my life, I am driven by my past experiences and there is no stopping me from completing this.

Karla

I would tell my former self that college is not as scary as it seems. That the classes are not as bad as I imagined they would be. I would also tell myself not to worry about making new friends. They will come and you will meet some life long friends.

Focus on what really matters and take life more seriously. One day you will have a family to support and without a college education you will be scrimping and saving wishing you would have done something with your life. Go to class, pay attention and ask many questions. Make sure you understand the assignment before you walk away only to realize you weren't paying attention at all, and beyond all else, take care of YOU . Don’t burn yourself out or try to so everything for everyone. You will have enough of that once you have your children.

College self, I know that at this point it seems as though high school is a game of politics rather than a genuine measure of intelligence but to prove your intelligence you must play the game. High school is no time to rebel or prove yourself, you must be on the assembly line before you can have your own company. The work may seem pointless and tedious but you are smart enough to play this game and win. Once you have won this game, real life begins.

Barbara

I would mainly give myself the advice to do more community service. I did this program at marymount with the boys and girls club and i absoluetly mised out on a lot of community and volunteer servcies. the kids were and are great and they teach you a lot. So if i could go back i would tell myself to expand my field in community service and attend the local boys and girls club to volunteer.

Tracey

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would prepare myself for the different types of people that I will meet. College is an enriching experience because you get to meet so many different people from different places with different experiences. I would tell myself to be open to new thoughts and experiences. I would also tell myself to keep my priorities in check and to not lose myself and my values amidst all the typical college partying and other activities. I would tell my high school self to not be nervous about the transition, but to be optimistic and excited. I would tell myself to stay strong and always persevere. I would also tell myself to not be nervous about meeting new people and to be open and willing to let others befriend me. I would tell myself that although it may not seem like it, it is possible to gain a lot of insight within the course of a year or two. Mainly, I would tell myself to always work towards my goals and to get ready for one of the most life-changing experiences of my life.

Evangelina

I would advice myself to apply to an in-state college and not worry about being alone. I should enjoy this time and make the most of it especially since I am a very adaptable person. Being 17 and a high school graduate should not hold me back from getting the most out of life. College life may seem scary at first but once I get in the groove of things, it will be as easy as breathing. The last thing I would say to myself is; Evangelina, it is time to grow up and make that transition. College is the road to having a meaningful lifestyle.

Anais

The first thing I would do would to look my father in his eyes, ask him what is one thing that adult's feel trouble them once they've grown up. My father would most definately respond "Education and Money". This is one of the things that I didn't come to realize until my junior year in High School, meanwhile some students were prying away at their textbooks. But of course, I'm not suggesting that student's adhere to my own advice and look into their own Father's eyes. If I were to go back to High School I'd live by example from the lives of other's, in order to find the motivation and inspiration in me. Here in College Motivation is Key, it may sound corny, but it's why as a student struggle with classes at eight in the morning to end at seven pm. It's because I am becoming my own model of inspiration.It allows me to surpass all the negative battles from my own all-nighter essay stays or even as to dealing with the acceptance of others in the social aspect of college. College is your own you.