New York, NY
Marymount Manhattan College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marymount Manhattan College

nicole

If I knew in high school what I know now, I would tell myself a lot of things. Firstly, I would say that it would be smart to go to community college first, so you save money and not have to study a major you hate just because you want to be in New York City. I would also tell myself that I should care more about my grades because in the end, they really do matter, and to apply for every scholarship I could find. Probably the last thing I would say continues off of the community college part. Do not go to the school you chose just because you were accepted, it's in the city, and it's the only school you applied too. You will not look like a failure for attending community college while everyone else is going to four year universities. It will be a smart decision and you know it, but you're too proud to admit it. If you would know all this now, you would probably not hate the first two years of college as I have and you would not be as behind as I am now.

I think someone who isn't into artsy things and likes sports shouldn't attend this school because there are no sports at this school and most of the kids are into the arts.

I think the most frustrating thing is that the dorms are not right next to the school.

Francesca

Very artisitcally inclined. If you are not an artist you will feel out of place here.

It does get better. You’re going to make friends, have all sorts of new experiences, and meet all sorts of interesting people and do all sorts of interesting things. Most of all, you’re going to go to Greece, like you’ve been dreaming of since you were little. People in college will be nicer to you, and will take you seriously. There will be people who are interested in you as a person and want to see you thrive. But you’re going to have to make an effort. Nothing is going to be handed to you. Though it’s going to be hard sometimes, because you’re shy and still have some anxiety problems, you’re going to have to connect. Go to all the clubs. Say hi to everyone in the halls. Connect. Take advantage of every opportunity you see, even if you’re scared, even if you doubt yourself, even if you think you aren’t good enough or can’t succeed. Try everything. It’s better to try and fail then to never try at all. Let yourself live. Focus on yourself, your career and your happiness and you’ll do fine

This place is small and friendly, you will get loads of individual attention, the professors and students will know you and you will feel like one big happy family!

Laurie

If I went back in time to give myself advice about college life, I would definitely sit myself down to talk. I would tell myself to get ready to focus and work hard. College is a time to be more independent so be sure to manage the time wisely. I would also remind myself that if you slack off or get off track it is myself who will pay figuratively and literally. College is a place to learn, meet new people and prepare for the future.

I would tell myself that there is no set plan or consecutive steps that I should be following. I would remind myself that nothing is permanent and that I shouldn't be afraid or angry if my interests should change. I would encourage myself to explore all of my educational options and apply for more schools outside of my home state. I would emphasize the importance of researching not only the colleges to which I would apply, but the communities and cities encompassing the colleges as well. I would work to ease the pressure from myself and remind myself that it is my life, and that I am in control.

I believe the best aspect of Marymount is that it is a small school with small class sizes, and therefore learning is heightened because professors have more time to spend with each student and clarification of ideas. The small class sizes also give me the feel of having more depth to my education and areas of study. In class, I can ask a question whenever I want and I know my question will be answered promptly and thoroughly.

I believe the worst aspect of Marymount is the lack of community. There is really no sense of camaraderie or community within the dorm facilites, which makes adjusting and feeling at home fairly difficult. There is no campus really at Marymount because the city is the campus. Therefore school pride and sense of belonging are harder to find at Marymount.

Bria

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to focus on my success and my future. I would tell myself not to worry about what's going on around me or with other people. I would tell myself that I am going to college to improve my craft and learn new things in a new environment. I would mention that how you are not always people's best interest and how some people are thrown in your path to either throw you off or slow you down. Well, don't let them! I would also tell myself to stay mentally strong and push through any obstacle that comes my way because the best lessons are the toughest ones.

The cost and how they give little financial aid

Tatum

When I think of Marymount Manhattan- warm sentiments of my faculty resonate. I connected with each one in a special way, and we remain in touch to this day. Marymount Manhattan is known for expert faculty, who care about College students. The faculty are not nestled high up in an ivory tower- they are below working with students, so the student will end up on top.

Marymount Manhattan College, provides a great small college experience in a large city. The Marymount Manhattan experience allows students to develop into city savvy and well-rounded adults. The Marymount Manhattan student knows how to navigate through the city, which helps them navigate through life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would simply say embrace challenges- the reward is often greater. This small bit of advice is critical, because challenges will be met in College. Courses may be challenging, balancing school activities may be challenging, living with roomates may be challenging too. However, successfully tackling these challenges will prepare you for future success. Consider this: your parent asks you to mow the lawn. It doesn't look like it needs mowing, but you do it anyway. When teh job is done, you inform your parents. Now what if taht same lawn needed mowing, and weeding, and raking. You struggle through, you are exhausted, but the lawn is landscaper perfect! Your arents are amazed with your accomplishment, and appreciate having you as a child. They decided to get you the iPad3 for your birthday. College is similar, if you do your best, in challenging courses, faculty will recognize your efforts. Rewards may come in the form of recommendation letters, references, job placement, friends for life, success in life. You have the power to obtain it all- by navigating through challenge.

Maria

Marymount Manhattan College is a small college in a big city. In New York City, it is easy to feel alone despite the thousands of people that you are constantly surrounded by, so it is important to be part of a community. MMC provides that community. I wanted to go to school in New York City, but I did not want to go to a large school like NYU. At MMC, professors will know you by name, and you won't have to be overwhelmed by the big city and a big school at the same time.

I have learned more at MMC than I think I could have at any other college. There are two elements to MMC that make it a valuable learning experience: it is a small college, and it is in the middle of New York City. Since it is so small, classes are small as well and expectations are raised for each class as a whole. I began to realize the importance of attendance and people skills when I was thrown into the close-knit classrooms at MMC. A liberal arts college like this is Darwinistic in that only those who can adapt will survive. The diversity at MMC forces people with closed minds to open them. The big city is another lesson in itself. I learned that self-awareness, patience, and cooperation are necessary to survive. People in the city, no matter how many friends they have, must learn to be self-sufficient. I came to terms with the fact that I am just one person in the midst of roughly nine million people in this city. What makes me an individual are my values, hopes, and dreams, and those cannot be ignored.

Since everything came easily to me in high school, I did not have to try much to get good grades. I wish I had pushed myself more academically, because the work from my classes was overwhelming at first. It was not particularly hard, there was just so much of it. I wish I had not underestimated the importance of time management and efficiency. I also wish I had known how hard it would be to start managing my own money. I am becoming better with it over time, but I wish I had started improving before I came here.

Marymount Manhattan college is full of creative people that live in the moment, but dream about the future too.

Everyone always says, "College is the best time of your life!" and I always thought people were just exagerating, but since I have been in college, I completely agree. I am only a freshman and I am truly having the time of my life. I came to college with no inhibitions, and I was ready to just be myself and see where my new life would take me. Since being in college I have come to better understand myself and how motivated I can be when I set a goal for myself. I have also made the best of friends and true connections that will last a lifetime. It is crucial to attend college because it is your first step into the world as an indepent well educated human being. In college the learning and discoveries never stop, and because I have already learned so much in such short span of time, I will continue to live my life seeking new opportunites to learn and discover.

I talk about the genuine community that exists at my school. Even though Marymount is located in one of the craziest cities in the world, our school's community is close-knit and everyone is paid attention to and no one goes ignored. The faculty truly cares about its students and wants everyone to experience the endless possibilities our school and New York City have to offer.

Elise

Learning how to live away from home as well as developing good study skills and habits

work hard to make friends within the first weeks of school

Michelle

Everyone is a individual for the most part.

Racially and economically I am underreppresented at my school however it is important for me to remain apart of the school. I've styed in this community with hopes for it to grow and become truly diverse. Being at a liberal arts college has also opened my eyes to other disciplines and led me to my social work path. I was introduced to social work because of the minor program at my school and i'm working towards that career.

Marymount Manhattan College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.