New York, NY
Marymount Manhattan College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marymount Manhattan College

Whittney

For their Dance and theatre program.

For their Dance and theatre program.

I'm learning a new language, how to manage a business, im learning how to understand philosphy by reading and discussing Aristotle, Stace, Kant and others.

Ryann

I am an African American woman who originally comes from a small town in southwest MN. I went to a small private high school where there were 13 kids in my graduating class. It wasn?t until I went to R.C.T.C in Rochester MN that I took a step out of my small and mostly safe little box and really experienced life and diversity. I met people from every walk of life in my Human Services Specialist program and through these people we formed friendships & study groups that greatly helped me in Biology, Psychology, English classes and many other classes. With the support and encouragement of my new found friends I made the Deans list and was inducted into Phi Theta Kappa. Through the array of different people I was able to experience life with a different perspective The thing I valued the most at RCTC was I had the opportunity to expand my education. I firmly believe ?Knowledge is power.? I am transferring to UWL in Wisconsin where I will be able to obtain my Bachelors Degree to become a Mental Health Counselor for children and then be able to start giving back to my community.

Trinh

I have gotten out of my college experience is that I have more freedom than when I was in high school. I could choose my professors and classes, and also able to attend many events that college prepared. I have many fun experiences, made many friends, and on my way to complete my bachalor degree so it has been valuable to attend.

John

I have not yet started school, but I will be in August of 2010. I'm very excited about the opportunity I have to further my education and reach my goals. I'm hoping to win this so it will be easier for me to pay my way.

Amber

My school is in the middle of NYC, not many people could say that they attend a small libral arts college and get one on one attention with your teachers when you attend a school in the Big Apple. What drew me to this school is the teachers, you can relate to all of them and they wont hesitate to help you out with anything you are confused about. Being in such a big city allows me to get more hands on expierence with jobs in the real world, and what better place to be that New York City!

I wouldnt say anything is frustrating about my school. Thats why I am excited to be going to school there.

Bettina

My classmates were socially adept, intellectually average, and morally corrupt.

My classmates were socially adept, intellectually average, and morally corrupt.

I would tell myself to go to a public college, so I wouldn't have $50,000 in loans when I graduate. To stay out a little later and not worry about getting so much sleep. To take the time to nuture friendships, because it's so hard to stay in touch when you graduate. To enjoy taking a nap in the middle of the day, because those just don't happen anymore. To stay close to family, because they are really the only people who matter. To be an individual, even if everyone doesn't "get" you. To always live life to it's fullest because life comes at you fast, and you never know what tomorrow holds.

One who is more prone to make friends than to learn.

Evan

Theatre and dance programs - the Acting program is really quite great.

Theatre and dance programs - the Acting program is really quite great.

I would take myself by the shoulders, stare into my eyes, and stress to not underestimate my abilities. I would say, "Evan, aim higher than you think you'll achieve, because you just might be surprised at how far you'll go." I'd urge myself to apply to a few more reach schools, and broaden my interests of study so that I'd have more opportunities in areas of study should I wish to veer from the path of an Acting major. Also, I might add that it is important to visit potential schools and sit in on classes. Without that personal, first-hand experience of the campus environment, I really had a hard time transitioning and making my way in my first year attending Marymount Manhattan. Struggling with depression during my freshman year, I focused too much on what I couldn't do, how difficult living in New York City was, and how far away from my family I became. The most pertinent piece of advice I'd share is to keep your goals in plain sight. It is when you lose sight of those hopes that distractions and negativity will bog down your success and happiness.

The lack of interest from the majority of my peers in their academic courses.

Chelsea

First day of senior year, better yet, the last first day of high school! There is tall, strawberry blond wearing sweat pants and headed to PE I pursue. Daily she chooses to put it off. I know just what her mind is thinking as I grab her wrist and look this mirror reflection straight in the eye because she is me at seventeen. It is Back to the Future without the sweet car and 80's clothing and I have an important message for my former self. No time to waist, I must save myself from senior year being the worst year of my life. "Take the AP classes that you can without being overwhelmed, grades are going to help, start this very day by asking what you want: Location? Major? Size?? No wrong answers, but knowing yourself will make your college experience phenominal. Scholarships are vital! Do one a week now. Most of all DON?T FEAR. Fear of pursuing your passion produces regret. So apply to several universities including your dream one. Nothing is worse than having not gone for it." And then I am gone, back to my own time, happy I diligently went for my future.

Marymount has a policy that every student is only allowed to take fifteen credit hours a semester. While this may seem nice because students may not overload their schedules, it is a hindrance to getting all necessary credits. It also seems illogical that, after paying a very high tuition, students are not given opportunities to take courses that interest them and would expand their knowledge because of the limit on hours. The only way to take more credits is to pay additional costs. This to me is the worst part of Marymout because it places a damper on your education.

When paying for your own education, one begins to desire a challenge so that learning and becoming a better, more diverse person is the result. In this respect, Marymount Manhattan College's academics can leave you still wanting to be pushed. It is not that all their academic courses bear no merit; rather, that some end up making me question what it is that I am paying for. It is frustrating to know that after loans are incurred, I really didn't get anything from a course aside from necessary credits.

Sarah, don't be afraid and don't let money keep you from having a complete and full college experience: DORM! Email ALL of your professors for the upcoming semester and find out what textbooks and other course materials you will need for each class. Buy all of these things a week (or two, just to be on the safest side) BEFORE classes begin. Hang out with all of your friends during the summer because you WON'T see them in the fall as much as you think. At Orientation, talk to the girl with the glasses and pink hair who will sit next to you. Don't be silent. She will turn out to be a close friend. SPEAK UP--you can't make friends if you don't. You HAVE to participate in all of your classes--professors factor in participation into your final grade (it's usually like 20%). Doing extra credit WON'T always be an option. Open yourself up and reveal who you are; you'll realize that kids will open up to you in return and it won't be as hard as you think. Explore the city! This is your home now!!! Go!

Any one who is into the arts: music, dance, theatre, acting, film--and who favors small, intimate class settings versus huge classes should definitely attend Marymount Manhattan College. Also, those who are in search of a liberal arts education in New York City should consider attending MMC.

Students who want an intense education in law and medicine should not attend MMC since it does not possess all of the courses students with these majors would have to take. MMC offers some courses in these areas but does so in a way where you get a taste or the basics and not the full or entire load of these fields.

Shantaya

Although I have transformed and matured in many ways since graduating high school almost two years ago, the best advice I could give myself was much easier and natural to follow as a high school senior then as a college student. From a young age, I acustmed myself with the ?Carpe Diem? mantra. I was convinced that by keeping a optimistic outlook and taking life one day at a time ,happiness and success would one day fine me. While I now know the importance of planning for the future , I have yet to find that healthy balance. As a busy college student , I find myself second guessing nearly every decision , both those important and trivial , in fear of one mistake ruining everything. If I could travel back in time , I would tell myself to work on finding a happy medium that includes accomplishing goals and enjoying the present while also creating a stress-free way of preparing for life after school.

Marymount Manhattan College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.