Arlington, VA
Marymount University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marymount University

Caleb

Marymount is the most diverse university in Virginia and since it is relatively close to DC, it provides a lot of opportunities for students. Also Marymount requires an internship before one can graduate and this gives students hands on experience before graduating.

BrianaCheyann
MU

I love it

MU

I love it

Maddy
Small School in a Big City

Small School in a Big City

I love my life at Marymount! Everything from the amazing leadership and academic opportunities to the location to the amazing friendships, have made my time here something I will never forget!

Janice

I would tell myself to relax and not push so hard. I was such a Type A personality that I think I missed some things I shouldn't have because I was determined to succeed academically. As it turned out, I did very well academically, but I think I would have done just as well had I been a little more balanced. College offers more in the line of education than just academics!

Marymount is a small yet diverse university. There is much room to discover yourself and grow into the person you want to be. Marymount is a school where you can be an individual and stand out in the crowd, or blend in as you choose. The kind of person best suited for this university is one who has alot of drive and is not scared to step out their comfort zone - great rewards await those who do.

The School of Nursing is a bit behind the times. They are doing their best to catch up with the rest of the professional nursing world, but they still have a ways to go. In influx of "new blood" would benefit them greatly.

Hilliard

Students don't participate or pay attention in class but always have issues with their professors.

I would tell high school self that college isn't as difficult as it is demanding, and that I will be able to adjust to college a lot easier by improving my work ethic, mainly by not procrastinating. I would also tell myself to get into a habit of going to sleep when I'm tired so I can perform at my best and so I won't ever feel like I have to skip an early class. Lastly, I would tell myself to connect with more students over the summer because college is easier when you have a lot of friends who can help you out with different things.

Makayla

Time management is important in college. I would start practicing that in high school. I would stop procrastinating because it will make things a lot harder in college.

I like me school a lot. There's nothing at Marymount University that frustrates me.

Nadin

I believe my school is a little too small. Since it is a private school, we have a lot of events though. I still believe the school should focus more on career fairs than lunches and parties. The President and Deans are always available to the students and we all get to meet each one of them. It is located in Arlington, close to Washington D.C.

It is a very mixed school with many international students and students from different cultures.

Most popular groups are business groups like SIFE.

Since it is a small school, professors do care about the students and know most of their names.

The stereotype is Christians, prude and geeky. I go to a Catholic, private school. I do not agree with the stereotype and think everyone is very nice and the faculty and stuff very helpful.

Ashlyn

Marymount is a small inviting community that has ample opportunity for it's tudents on campus and in D.C.

As a senior in high school I had dreams of going to a large college where class sizes reached one hundred fifty people, planned to be near my friends, and attend school where I could easily recognize a face. Unfortunately my academic scores showed that I needed individual attention in the classroom, because of the needed attention some advice I could give myself then is to let go of the big dream and accept what will benefit my education. When I applied to Marymount Universlity I had only the knowledge that my program was very popular and one of the best in the country. When it came time to choose my roommate I chose blindly and that alone brought many challenges. My roommate from Florida and I from Michigan gave us each different outlooks of society, mine liberal her more conservative. Advice that I would give myself going into this experience is that not everyone has the same tolereance and acceptance for different cultures and beliefs as I do, but it does not mean that their view and opinion is right. I hope that this advice would be taken and projected toward all aspects of transition into college.

The kind of person who should attend this school is someone who would benefit from the attention and one on one contact of their professor. Someone who would also enjoy the connection between the school and the Arilington community, a student who will take advantage of the resources that the school has to offer including clubs designated to specific majors and career and interniship help at the Ballston location. Someone who is serious about their education and will put in the same time and effort as the professor should attend Marymount University because it is a education that has value.

Brielle

Some of my classmates are more to-themselves than out-going.

Some of my classmates are more to-themselves than out-going.

The advice I would give to myself would be to look at more schools, not waiting to the last minute to apply, and search for scholarships earlier. I would have also told myself to make better studying habbits and to be more focus in school.

I'd wish that I knew about different ways to pay for my school.

My first two weeks at Marymount were AWFUL. I didn't know anyone, and everyone already seemed to know each other so I instantly felt out of the loop. I went home every weekend for the first month (I only live about an hour away) which I DO NOT recommend. You will miss so many opportunities, as the school sponsors SO MANY EVENTS! Seriously, there is always something to do. Last night I went to a *free* showing of X-Men First Class and tonight I'm participating in Open Mic Night. The food on campus is decent. For the first week I couldn't eat in the dining hall because every time I did I got sick afterwards, but I guess I just had to get used to it? I'm not sure about that....But Bernie's in the Lee Center has been great from day one. It serves so many different kinds of comfort food, which is great in college. The only downside about Bernie's is that it only counts as part of your meal plan from 12-4ish, and after that you have to pay. It's not expensive, though. Zest/Lola's is another eatery on campus that serves flatbreads, coffee, gelato, and wraps. It opened just last year and not many people know about it because it's hidden over in Ostepanko. (the upperclassmen dorms) Zest/Lola's is NOT a part of your meal plan, which sucks because they make the best food. The dorms are SMALL. I visited VCU and Marymount my senior year of highschool and VCU's dorms are twice the size of Marymount's. It's not an issue if you are a neat person, but if you are on the messier side you WILL have a problem. The campus is 'semi-dry', meaning if you're under the age of 21 and caught drinking in the dorms, you will get a suspension and if caught again an expulsion. They aren't too strict about it because I know a lot of people who drink every weekend and have never gotten in trouble for it. Parties are absolutely NOT ALLOWED in any dorm. The professors are knowledgeable about their subjects, for the most part. I have only had an issue with one professor and he was new, so he was just getting into the swing of things himself. Attendance is recorded in every class, and in most classes if you miss more than 2 classes you get lowered a letter grade for each additional class missed. That is a pain, especially seeing that you're bound to get sick or sleep through your morning class.

Listen, I'll be the first to tell you: Marymount may not be for you. It's small, expensive, old, and kind of hard to fit in at first. But if you are looking for a fun, inviting community where you are guaranteed to find at least one person to hang out with, give us a try.

Clubs are bountiful at Marymount and you are always welcome to make one if you have the interest in it. We have a LGBT, gaming club, many singing groups, and my friend and I are working on bringing theater back to Marymount. Like I said before, there is ALWAYS something to do at Marymount. Every night there is an event for all students to attend, and they are quite popular. Movie nights are always fun AND free! People at Marymount party, but I'm not sure where seeing that all parties in the dorms are shut down immediately.

Marymount fashion is funny. Because we have a fashion program, you'd expect most girls to be all dressed up every day, right? No. I see people wearing pajamas to class at 6:30 at night, and I see people wearing haute couture at a 8AM class. Many people at Marymount are from the surrounding area (Washington DC, VA, MD) but a lot of people come from up north, like Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, etc. We have a lot of international students, too.

Most professors prefer to be called by their first name, or something informal like just being called by their last name. Classes are small, so they WILL learn your name. I'm majoring in fashion design and all professors in my major have been helpful and knowledgeable when I needed help. Most if not all classes in my major require materials that can cost quite a lot, which is a problem for a broke college student. Student study habits at Marymount vary. I know people that study between every class and during any freetime they have, but on the otherhand I know a lot of people who just 'wing it'.

DO NOT BELIEVE SITES STATING ONLY RICH, SNOBBY, DUMB PEOPLE GET INTO MARYMOUNT. Really, it's the total opposite.

I was told that everyone at Marymount is snobby and self centered, and I have found that the opposite is true. The only 'snobbiness' I have encountered is with the people on the soccer/LAX/volleyball teams. They are very 'you're either in or out', if you get what I mean.

Marymount University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.