Arlington, VA
Marymount University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marymount University

Makayla

Time management is important in college. I would start practicing that in high school. I would stop procrastinating because it will make things a lot harder in college.

I like me school a lot. There's nothing at Marymount University that frustrates me.

Nadin

I believe my school is a little too small. Since it is a private school, we have a lot of events though. I still believe the school should focus more on career fairs than lunches and parties. The President and Deans are always available to the students and we all get to meet each one of them. It is located in Arlington, close to Washington D.C.

It is a very mixed school with many international students and students from different cultures.

Most popular groups are business groups like SIFE.

Since it is a small school, professors do care about the students and know most of their names.

The stereotype is Christians, prude and geeky. I go to a Catholic, private school. I do not agree with the stereotype and think everyone is very nice and the faculty and stuff very helpful.

Ashlyn

Marymount is a small inviting community that has ample opportunity for it's tudents on campus and in D.C.

As a senior in high school I had dreams of going to a large college where class sizes reached one hundred fifty people, planned to be near my friends, and attend school where I could easily recognize a face. Unfortunately my academic scores showed that I needed individual attention in the classroom, because of the needed attention some advice I could give myself then is to let go of the big dream and accept what will benefit my education. When I applied to Marymount Universlity I had only the knowledge that my program was very popular and one of the best in the country. When it came time to choose my roommate I chose blindly and that alone brought many challenges. My roommate from Florida and I from Michigan gave us each different outlooks of society, mine liberal her more conservative. Advice that I would give myself going into this experience is that not everyone has the same tolereance and acceptance for different cultures and beliefs as I do, but it does not mean that their view and opinion is right. I hope that this advice would be taken and projected toward all aspects of transition into college.

The kind of person who should attend this school is someone who would benefit from the attention and one on one contact of their professor. Someone who would also enjoy the connection between the school and the Arilington community, a student who will take advantage of the resources that the school has to offer including clubs designated to specific majors and career and interniship help at the Ballston location. Someone who is serious about their education and will put in the same time and effort as the professor should attend Marymount University because it is a education that has value.

Brielle

Some of my classmates are more to-themselves than out-going.

Some of my classmates are more to-themselves than out-going.

The advice I would give to myself would be to look at more schools, not waiting to the last minute to apply, and search for scholarships earlier. I would have also told myself to make better studying habbits and to be more focus in school.

I'd wish that I knew about different ways to pay for my school.

My first two weeks at Marymount were AWFUL. I didn't know anyone, and everyone already seemed to know each other so I instantly felt out of the loop. I went home every weekend for the first month (I only live about an hour away) which I DO NOT recommend. You will miss so many opportunities, as the school sponsors SO MANY EVENTS! Seriously, there is always something to do. Last night I went to a *free* showing of X-Men First Class and tonight I'm participating in Open Mic Night. The food on campus is decent. For the first week I couldn't eat in the dining hall because every time I did I got sick afterwards, but I guess I just had to get used to it? I'm not sure about that....But Bernie's in the Lee Center has been great from day one. It serves so many different kinds of comfort food, which is great in college. The only downside about Bernie's is that it only counts as part of your meal plan from 12-4ish, and after that you have to pay. It's not expensive, though. Zest/Lola's is another eatery on campus that serves flatbreads, coffee, gelato, and wraps. It opened just last year and not many people know about it because it's hidden over in Ostepanko. (the upperclassmen dorms) Zest/Lola's is NOT a part of your meal plan, which sucks because they make the best food. The dorms are SMALL. I visited VCU and Marymount my senior year of highschool and VCU's dorms are twice the size of Marymount's. It's not an issue if you are a neat person, but if you are on the messier side you WILL have a problem. The campus is 'semi-dry', meaning if you're under the age of 21 and caught drinking in the dorms, you will get a suspension and if caught again an expulsion. They aren't too strict about it because I know a lot of people who drink every weekend and have never gotten in trouble for it. Parties are absolutely NOT ALLOWED in any dorm. The professors are knowledgeable about their subjects, for the most part. I have only had an issue with one professor and he was new, so he was just getting into the swing of things himself. Attendance is recorded in every class, and in most classes if you miss more than 2 classes you get lowered a letter grade for each additional class missed. That is a pain, especially seeing that you're bound to get sick or sleep through your morning class.

Listen, I'll be the first to tell you: Marymount may not be for you. It's small, expensive, old, and kind of hard to fit in at first. But if you are looking for a fun, inviting community where you are guaranteed to find at least one person to hang out with, give us a try.

Clubs are bountiful at Marymount and you are always welcome to make one if you have the interest in it. We have a LGBT, gaming club, many singing groups, and my friend and I are working on bringing theater back to Marymount. Like I said before, there is ALWAYS something to do at Marymount. Every night there is an event for all students to attend, and they are quite popular. Movie nights are always fun AND free! People at Marymount party, but I'm not sure where seeing that all parties in the dorms are shut down immediately.

Marymount fashion is funny. Because we have a fashion program, you'd expect most girls to be all dressed up every day, right? No. I see people wearing pajamas to class at 6:30 at night, and I see people wearing haute couture at a 8AM class. Many people at Marymount are from the surrounding area (Washington DC, VA, MD) but a lot of people come from up north, like Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, etc. We have a lot of international students, too.

Most professors prefer to be called by their first name, or something informal like just being called by their last name. Classes are small, so they WILL learn your name. I'm majoring in fashion design and all professors in my major have been helpful and knowledgeable when I needed help. Most if not all classes in my major require materials that can cost quite a lot, which is a problem for a broke college student. Student study habits at Marymount vary. I know people that study between every class and during any freetime they have, but on the otherhand I know a lot of people who just 'wing it'.

DO NOT BELIEVE SITES STATING ONLY RICH, SNOBBY, DUMB PEOPLE GET INTO MARYMOUNT. Really, it's the total opposite.

I was told that everyone at Marymount is snobby and self centered, and I have found that the opposite is true. The only 'snobbiness' I have encountered is with the people on the soccer/LAX/volleyball teams. They are very 'you're either in or out', if you get what I mean.

Luis

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have gotten a job and saved as much money as I can because I never had a job. I would tell myself to give up materialistic things and spend money more wisely. I would try not to let people bring me down and become as strong as I can be. The most important thing I would tell myself is spend time more wisely on being productive instead of being lazy. I would have also changed the schools that I applied to because I knew from the start I would have not got in because my grades werent the best but I had a really good work ethic and very determined. Last but not leas tI would have taught myself to be more disciplined then I was before .

Gabriele

Marymount University is a fantatsic school located in the D.C. area that offers a tremendous private liberal arts education a fraction of the cost of a larger schools in the region. Its political science and healthcare programs are some of the best in the nation, with the latter being accredited by the Commission on Accreditation Healthcare Management, a national institution. Marymount's curiculum also includes a required internship, allowing all students to gain work experience prior to graduation.

Pick academics over name brand. Without a shadow of hestiation this would be my advice to a college-bound high school student. When I first looked at schools, my concerns surrounded just how popular they might be; in essence I was pulled into the web ideology that big partying schools are the best option. The truth is, they are not. At Marymount I've made great friends, worked with well-educated and caring professors, never feeling once that the big scene of a party school would have suited me better. University is about expanding one's own knowledge and forging lasting friendships with teachers--not just throwing everything at having fun for the four years of undergraduate study. In the long run, educational quality is far more important than the short-lived burst of joy from a party school, and it presents the freedom to have more fun while working a solid career based upon the school's offerings.

Dorothy

Marymount University has a very diverse population. It is a Catholic University with a student body made up of all religions. I attend the University becauce the CIDA certifies the school of Interior Design. It is an excellent program with small class sizes. The professors are awesome! The campus is beautiful. It is located just a few miles from Washington D.C.

I would tell myself to move forward with my college plans. Stop entertaining the idea of not going to college right away. I would talk about how wonderful it is to learn about all of the things I did not know before attending college. It has changed my life. I would tell myself the world will wait and college will be the place for me to evolve and grow into an outstanding person and citizen. I would tell myself to stop socializing so much and spend more time on my studies because that is how I will get the grants and scholarships I will need to pursue higher education. Lastly, I would tell myself that life is beautiful and I can have a wonderful life with or without a college degree. The difference is, I won't have to worry about people finding out I don't have a degree. It is not easy to be amongst peers who are taliking about the colleges they attending hoping noone asks you where you went to school. I would tell myself the transition to college is a step that is easy to make and life changing.

A student who is interested in a small private college with a concentration in liberal arts, design or the sciences. It is a commuter college and has beautiful on campus dorms.

Zulma

Marymount University is a great school that provides a very diverse atmosphere for the entire student body. Students realize when attending this school you get to meet many different people from places all over the world. Everyone is really nice and accepting. You get to be exactly who you are and you can make friends easily.

Marymount University is known for it's great medical program as well as it's fashion program. It is a private school which gives students one on one time with professsors. Classes aren't as big as they would be at other schools so professor really do get to know the student which is very important.

Going from high school to college is a huge step most students take while others fail to achieve. The most common reason students do not go onto furthering their education after high school is the lack of funds or the financial circumstances in which they live in. If I could go back in time to my senior year I would tell myself that there is a lot of financial help out there, such as scholarships, grants, and loans and that I should take advantage of those opportunities being offered. Also that money should not be an issue in me getting a higher education. A lot of students do not realize that there is a lot of help being offered and for that reason money should not be an obstacle for anyone to accomplish their educational goals. If you have your mind set on something, determination is the key, it is the only way you will achieve all your goals. My main advice is that help and opportunity is always out there, you just have to go out there, find it and take advantage of it.

Ocean-Miracle

My school is best known for the Fashion& Nursing program, and the Woman's Basketball team.

I have gotten a wonderful experience out of college so far. This is my second semester in college and I love it. I love it because it helps me to be more independent. It really allows me to show myself that I can do it without someone always on my back telling me to do my work, or to study. College has been very valuable to attend because it provides me with a more stable and mature mind. It is also valuable because it provides me with the stepping stones to life and the career that I am going to pursue. College is a great experience, that I think everyone should at least try out.

I consider the diversity the best, simply because it shows the many different cultures here on campus.

Marymount University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.