Marymount University Top Questions

Janice

I would tell myself to relax and not push so hard. I was such a Type A personality that I think I missed some things I shouldn't have because I was determined to succeed academically. As it turned out, I did very well academically, but I think I would have done just as well had I been a little more balanced. College offers more in the line of education than just academics!

Hilliard

I would tell high school self that college isn't as difficult as it is demanding, and that I will be able to adjust to college a lot easier by improving my work ethic, mainly by not procrastinating. I would also tell myself to get into a habit of going to sleep when I'm tired so I can perform at my best and so I won't ever feel like I have to skip an early class. Lastly, I would tell myself to connect with more students over the summer because college is easier when you have a lot of friends who can help you out with different things.

Makayla

Time management is important in college. I would start practicing that in high school. I would stop procrastinating because it will make things a lot harder in college.

Ashlyn

As a senior in high school I had dreams of going to a large college where class sizes reached one hundred fifty people, planned to be near my friends, and attend school where I could easily recognize a face. Unfortunately my academic scores showed that I needed individual attention in the classroom, because of the needed attention some advice I could give myself then is to let go of the big dream and accept what will benefit my education. When I applied to Marymount Universlity I had only the knowledge that my program was very popular and one of the best in the country. When it came time to choose my roommate I chose blindly and that alone brought many challenges. My roommate from Florida and I from Michigan gave us each different outlooks of society, mine liberal her more conservative. Advice that I would give myself going into this experience is that not everyone has the same tolereance and acceptance for different cultures and beliefs as I do, but it does not mean that their view and opinion is right. I hope that this advice would be taken and projected toward all aspects of transition into college.

Brielle

The advice I would give to myself would be to look at more schools, not waiting to the last minute to apply, and search for scholarships earlier. I would have also told myself to make better studying habbits and to be more focus in school.

Luis

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have gotten a job and saved as much money as I can because I never had a job. I would tell myself to give up materialistic things and spend money more wisely. I would try not to let people bring me down and become as strong as I can be. The most important thing I would tell myself is spend time more wisely on being productive instead of being lazy. I would have also changed the schools that I applied to because I knew from the start I would have not got in because my grades werent the best but I had a really good work ethic and very determined. Last but not leas tI would have taught myself to be more disciplined then I was before .

Gabriele

Pick academics over name brand. Without a shadow of hestiation this would be my advice to a college-bound high school student. When I first looked at schools, my concerns surrounded just how popular they might be; in essence I was pulled into the web ideology that big partying schools are the best option. The truth is, they are not. At Marymount I've made great friends, worked with well-educated and caring professors, never feeling once that the big scene of a party school would have suited me better. University is about expanding one's own knowledge and forging lasting friendships with teachers--not just throwing everything at having fun for the four years of undergraduate study. In the long run, educational quality is far more important than the short-lived burst of joy from a party school, and it presents the freedom to have more fun while working a solid career based upon the school's offerings.

Dorothy

I would tell myself to move forward with my college plans. Stop entertaining the idea of not going to college right away. I would talk about how wonderful it is to learn about all of the things I did not know before attending college. It has changed my life. I would tell myself the world will wait and college will be the place for me to evolve and grow into an outstanding person and citizen. I would tell myself to stop socializing so much and spend more time on my studies because that is how I will get the grants and scholarships I will need to pursue higher education. Lastly, I would tell myself that life is beautiful and I can have a wonderful life with or without a college degree. The difference is, I won't have to worry about people finding out I don't have a degree. It is not easy to be amongst peers who are taliking about the colleges they attending hoping noone asks you where you went to school. I would tell myself the transition to college is a step that is easy to make and life changing.

Zulma

Going from high school to college is a huge step most students take while others fail to achieve. The most common reason students do not go onto furthering their education after high school is the lack of funds or the financial circumstances in which they live in. If I could go back in time to my senior year I would tell myself that there is a lot of financial help out there, such as scholarships, grants, and loans and that I should take advantage of those opportunities being offered. Also that money should not be an issue in me getting a higher education. A lot of students do not realize that there is a lot of help being offered and for that reason money should not be an obstacle for anyone to accomplish their educational goals. If you have your mind set on something, determination is the key, it is the only way you will achieve all your goals. My main advice is that help and opportunity is always out there, you just have to go out there, find it and take advantage of it.

Ocean-Miracle

I have gotten a wonderful experience out of college so far. This is my second semester in college and I love it. I love it because it helps me to be more independent. It really allows me to show myself that I can do it without someone always on my back telling me to do my work, or to study. College has been very valuable to attend because it provides me with a more stable and mature mind. It is also valuable because it provides me with the stepping stones to life and the career that I am going to pursue. College is a great experience, that I think everyone should at least try out.

Anna

I've gotten a very powerful sense of myself through my colelge experience. I've been called a "people pleaser" by my closest friends and family and as such I went to the college I thought my family wanted me to go to. I pursued a major in business for the same reason, all the while wanting a degree in art. Through some persuasion by my best friend I finally took a stand. I found my own voice and said no, I'm going to art school. Never having been able to believe in myself before this, making this choice is a huge achievement. I'm finally going after my own dream, not doing what I think everyone else wants me to do. And even more I believe I can do it. College has helped me find something to believe in, in myself.

nhai

The knowlege of science and the social work throughout college will be a foundation for future's professional career. College is not only provide a knowlege of science, but also improve social skills.

tina

I have researched many schools in the Birmingham area. My husband's job moves us frequently. I couldn't figure out why I was having a hard time finding an LPN job. I just recently found out that Alabama does not allow LPN to do assessments. This is fundamental to nursing. That is why Herzing's LPN mobility has been a blessing. Herzing will allow me to become an ADN in one year. This will allow me to get back on the floor. I am excited that Herzing will allow me to use my experience and to train me to be the best nurse. Nurses are needed all over America! Nursing is a calling. I have been an LPN for 25 years and am excited about finally going back to school. My family is excited, but they know this will be a challenging year. My classes begin this week. Herzing will take the least amount of time, increase my knowledge and allow me to become more marketable no matter where my husband's job takes us.

Gwynne

Because my major, B. S. Nursing, is very competitive, I've become very diligient and persistent in working to make good grades and actually learning in my classes in order to put myself at the top of the applicants list. Those qualities will help me to sell myself in order to advance in my career. I am especially glad that I took my classes seriously and worked to learn the material instead of merely memorizing random information just to get a grade. As a result, I scored high on my nursing entrance examinations and feel very prepared for nursing school. After all, I know I would not want a nurse who does not know what they are doing, so it's a good feeling to know that I'll be a competant nurse. The classes I took also helped me to see the world differently and to understand it better. Working while in college also helped me learn to time manage and budget--two skills that I know will help me when I'm an adult. College has helped me to grow up and prepare myself for the responsibilities and challenges of being an adult in the real world.

Patricia

When I first started college I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but with every course, and every lesson learned, I slowly started walking down the right path. Not only do I now know what I want to do with my life, but Marymount and the people there have also helped me realize how important it is to stay on top of my game, stay focused and learn, learn, learn. The hard work I have put in in the past two years has started paying off, and I'm not even close to the finish line. I have plenty of goals I still want to achieve before graduation, and I honestly don't plan on giving up anytime soon. As for my choice in schools, I am more than happy about coming to Marymount. Starting with each and every professor, and ending with the food, I absolutely love it here!

DANNELLY

Attending college have rearranged me as a person increasing the need and desire to improve every aspect of my personality and life. I have taken my goals to further levels and learned that focus leads to achievement. Responsibility, the desire of learning, and being centered on the objective are the key to success. The primary reward I continue to receive on my journey thru college is realizing daily the importance of learning, studying, and seeking further education. What I feel when attending class and studying microorganisms is a satisfaction that fulfills every part of myself. Therefore, thru college I have realized the greatest values of my professional and personal life: loving more my career, devoting myself to learn and study, as well as growing as a more responsible, educated, and goal-centered individual. And all of this I receive to later on provide and assist the deprived with my knowledge and experience.

Marymount offered me small classroom sizes and greater one on one attention which helped me to flourish while I attended. The professors are genuine, and instilled in me a sense of pride which has carried me into graduate school. If Marymount had a doctoral level psychology graduate program I certainly would have stayed on after completing my undergrad, but instead I will carry Marymount on in spirit as I continue in my educational endevors.

Sylvia

If I knew then what I know now things would be so different. When I first got to college I was so scared to be away from friends and people that I saw all the time, that I had such a hard time getting out of my shell and making new friends. But if I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself not to get so dependent of my friends because we would go our separate ways. I thought that my friends would be around all the time but I had got a wakeup call when I arrived on campus. I was all alone without a friend in sight and it was my time to go out on my own and make friends. This simple task proved to be the hardest thing in the world for me. It had been such a long time that I had to make friends that I forgot how to. But with time and some self confidence I was able to leave my shell and make a couple of friends. I learned that friends aren?t always going to be around.

Victoria

I would have advised myself to not to feel obligated or confined to only one major area of interest and to take the time to really think about what suited me best. I started out as chemisry major, then I changed to biochemistry pre-pharmacy track. Aafter graduating in 2008, I know longer wanted to do pharmacy. With the recessation, I tried to find work doing research but was unsuccessful. Consequently, I decided to go back to school to become a registered nurse. It took me two schools and six years to figure out exactly what I wanted to do with my life and now I'm finding it harder and more frustrating than ever because I could have received my nursing degree from my alma mater and be working in my career. I just felt from obligated to finish because it was five years and my parents were helping me pay for school. I think if i would have waited to decided what major i wanted to commit too, I could have finished my general education courses and gotten involved with various organizations and clubs, I would have discovered my passion alot sooner.

If I could go back in time and revisit myself as a high school senior I would have a fair amount of words to say. I would first try to stress to my high school self the importance of managing my family versus my school work, and that things might get a lot harder than I intended. Secondly, I would tell myself not to take my work more seriously than my school work as work is not that important. Thirdly, I would let myself in on some financial secrets to keeping my finances under control and learn the importance of balancing credit cards, loans, and checking accounts. I would also let myself know that being at my small university is a gift, and that my teachers are very supportive and understanding so I should not be afraid to approach them with any delima or problem with school I may have. Lastly, I would tell myself to branch out more, becuse having friends is very important while in such a new environment, and even though I live off campus it won't be as hard as I think to be friendly and keep friends.

Kiran

I would definitely advise myself to be much more serious about my grades and GPA. When I was a senior in high school, I honestly did not care about my grades or the college I would get into. Then once I applied and got rejected, I started realizing how important all this was. But unfortunately, it was too late! Then decided on going to a 2-year community college, which was a very rewarding experience! Even then I was not too worried about grades and GPA, because I was under the illusion that once you graduate with an associates degree then you would be granted admission to any college of your desire. But I learned it the hard way, that's not always possible. Thankfully I was granted admission to Marymount University. This was a hugh turning point for me. I started paying attention and cared much more about my grades. From a 2.4 GPA, I pulled myself up to a 3.8! I have made a mistake once, maybe twice. But not a third time! I want to do something with my life and be successful, not be a failure. Education is important and should be taken seriously.

Hannah

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would give the advice of following your passion. My senior year of high school I took a fashion course and fell in love with the industry. It was my dream to attend a university that offered fashion merchandising as a major; however, I never thought it was an actual possibility. I didn't pursue my dream and ended up attending the state university about five minutes away from my home. After a year and half at the state university I decided it was time to follow my dream of working in the fashion industry. I found Marymount, and the next thing I knew I moved clear across the country and have not regretted it for a minute! If I would have known back then what I do now, I could have saved a year and a half of schooling. Even more importantly, I learned that it really is worth following your dreams, because then and only then will you be truly happy. Although I did not quite know this when I was a senior in high school, I'm glad I do now!

Study, study, study. Stop skimming over the chapters and read them. Try to stay focus and you will do great.

Lisa

WOW!! Assuming that I could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior, the advice that I would give myself would be to go to school directly out of high school. Leverage all money and just do it because the learning process does not become any easier the older you get. Be the best friend possible to all and not to ?burn? any bridges. At the same time invest in yahoo and google. Life experiences can truly be educational too. Lastly, know that the educational process does not stop after a receiving any degree.

Kia

The advice that I would give myself is not to take a year off from school, apply for the school that I want to go to, not the one that my parents want me to go to, and apply for as many scholarships as possible.

There is so much that I would want to tell myself, as a high school senior, about college if I was given the chance. One of the most important things would be that time management is incredably important. Not just in getting work done, but in making class scheduels that are managable. Taking 17 or 18 credit hours is not only time consuming in the classroom but, outside the classroom with projects that can qualify as full time jobs. Another thing I would want to tell myself is that it is important to continue having a social life. I have found that focusing only on projects and other assignments for school, has increased my stress levels so much that by half way through the semester I am burnt out and end up meeting only the minimal expectations for my classes.

Daniela

do your best, because every moment in High School counts, pick the best college for you and not for any one else.

Zuzanna

Some advice that i would give to prospective college students would be to have good time management skills, be organized and be positive in choosing the right major. Picking a major that you will really enjoy is one of the hardest decisions for students. When your in high school you dont think its as important, and majority of people decide a major that they tend to change in the future. This will slow down your college process which will lead to a later graduating date. Also, if you dont end up really loving your major, it will be more difficult to acheive good grades when studying it for 4 years. Managing your time is very important when studying. Make sure if you are a procrastinator, that you change that characteristic as soon as possible. Lastly, staying organized will help in general being successful during all of your years in college.

Daniela

The advice i would have gave myself was that to save as much as you can because credits are no good and going through college with loans and debt is very stressful. When you have loans and debts limits your self. make sure you stay away from credt cards and save as much as you can. Take advantage of study aboard because it is a great experience that everyone should go for and as well as internship, start on hands on experience!

Luz

The advice I will give myself is stay in school and study very hard because if you do, everything will work out fine. You will be a successful person in life and you will not regret anything. Staying in school is very important because you are able to learn many new things and able to get a job with the field you are majoring in. I come from a poor family, my father struggles a lot in order to pay for my school, college is expensive. My father helps me pay for school, he wants me to succeed in life and he sacrifices a lot for me to go to college. The advice is to do anything you can to attend college, you will have a successful life.

Athenna

To try and get my work done before the assingment is due, or at least on time. That college life is even more fun once you get out into the world and experience new things. That saving money is important, but don't let that get in the way of having fun. Also, that it gets harder and harder to come back home every summer after being in Virgina.

Elena

College should be one of the best times of your life. You should pick a college that is best for you, and you shouldn't judge it on what your parents or your friends want. You also shouldn't judge it on parties and social life, because the education is what counts. You should also remember that no school is perfect. I've had so many friends transfer out after one year or even one semester and end up not being happy. The best way to be happy is to make friends and become a part of your school.

The only advice I would want to give myself, were I to go back in time and advise my high school senior self, would be not to nail myself down with a major right away. There are a great number of advantages to entering college undeclared. If I had known that I would switch from declared to undeclared before again delcaring a major, and was aware of how helpful entering undeclared could be I would have taken that path. Knowing what I wanted to do was helpful at times, but realizing it wasn't going to work out and that I had taken so many major specific classes became quite a stressor. If I knew this was going to happen I would have entered undeclared, gotten my core classes out of the way, and felt my way towards the best fit for me. Had I done this I would have saved myself from alot of worry and uncertainty, and would have provided myself with a sure footing. Since you can't go back in time and change things it helps to be able to see that everything will work out, but knowing would have been quite a luxury.

Brianne

I would tell students to try their hardest and to get involved with extra curricular activites at school because it really makes your college experience worth while. I would tell parents to push their children to do their best because the work you do in college willl help you for the rest of your life.

julie

Key advice I would give is to do your research. However, you will not know exactly what the campus is like unless you visit it in person. Also, do not count your parents opinions out, they are a bigger help than you expect. When visiting, do an overnighter, or eat lunch in the dining hall. All of these things that you could do while visiting the college, are important to see if this is the right school for you. When you find the right school, both you AND your parents will know it:) While at college, your experience will be more enjoyable if you get involved. It sounds cliche, but it is the truth. Not only does getting involved in an extracurricular activity give you something to do, but it is an easy way to make friends. Getting involved also helps you manage your time more efficiently because it makes you set yourself on a schedule which is crucial. In conclusion, making the right choice of college to attend is undoubtly a difficult one, but when you do your research both on and off the computer, and get involved, there is no way you can go wrong.

Fanisha

The best way to find the right college is making sure one finds the college that best fits the student. The student should search for a college that accommodates to his/her personality and study habits. Some students may prefer a small school over a large one, and vice versa. Some students may be able to attend a socially active college and still perform well academically, others may not. Whether a college is affordable is important. Students should apply for as much financial aid as possible; this includes loans, grants, and scholarships. Grants and scholarships are more favorable because they provide money that doesn?t have to be paid back. It?s best that students visit the colleges they?re applying to. Different colleges have different environments, and are located in different environments. Visiting a college will help a student determine which environment is best for them. A student shouldn't choose a college because it?s an ivy-league or ?well-known? university. They also shouldn?t choose one because their high school friends are going there or their parents went there. If a student finds a college that best matches them, they?re more likely to perform well.

Brooke

Carefully think and weight all your options. Visit each campus before deciding on a school. Ask students around campus how they like the school. Research a variety of schools and narrow the list from there. Once in a school, go to class and socalize. Find a happy balance between school and social life. Both are important in the college experience

Noeli

How do you find the right college in a sea of potential schools? It is not an easy task. Sometimes a student grows up dreaming of attending a specific university, only to find out when they visit that it was not what they had dreamed of. My advice to parents and students is to take time and visit several schools. It gives the student a chance to envision themselves attending that school. Sometimes just seeing it gives a person the feeling of ?this is it? or ?this is so not it.? Try to attend a class or two on campus in order to experience how the professors teach. If a student feels they cannot adjust to certain teaching methods then that schools is not for them. Once the right school is chosen the fun part begins! To make the most of their college experience, students should learn how to balance their academic life with their social one. It is wise not to take on too much the first semester of college. Time management is the key to a successful college experience. With the proper balance of school and fun college is easily four of the best years of ones life!

Timothy

Have fun!

Janie

I would tell students to evaluate their experiences at high school. Look at what worked for them and did not work for them as far as academia, social aspects, sports, size, and faculty. Then make a short list of schools they would like to attend and visit those schools when class is in session so you can get a feel of what going to that school would be like. Take good questions to ask students who already attend that school on those trips. Apply to your top four picks early for early placement.

Nadine

Both parents and children should listen to each other when looking for a school. Parents have experience and knowledge on their side that will assist their children, whereas new students have a pretty good idea of what will make them comfortable in college. They also know what they want to experience and they should be allowed to experience life for themselves and not what their parents want them to experience.

Rosetta

I would advise any student and parents of students to really evaluate what type of degree the student is trying to achieve. When that is determined, then the student should make a list of the best universities and colleges that are strong in that program. Also, the student should list out what type of area they prefer, what type of activities they like to do, and what sorts of events they like to attend and then research to see if that specific university or college have those types of activities and events. This will help students get the best college experience that they are looking for.

Rebecca

Finding the right college for you which includes the size of the classes, the campus, the ranking of the college, the area. To get the best out of your college experience it is best to go to games, and to join clubs at school.

morgan

I would just like all of the students to know that despite what they may think, mom and dad know what they are talking about. Even though students may hate the choices their parents make they should listen because their parents are just looking out for their little boy/girl. My mom had the final say on what college I attended and I hated it. But it turns out she picked the right school for me because believe it or not she knew my personality better than I thought. But parents hear your kids out. Talk to them about their options and decide together on the best university. If you just go out and pick a school without consulting your child it caould be a disaster. The best thing you can do for your child is to take them to vist the school for themself.

christina

You should always visit the school, or schools you have in mind before you make a concrete decision. A lot of people go to whatever college accepts them and gives them the most money, but it's more than that. I visited the school I now attend and from our tour, my parents and I felt more comfortable with the school. You just can't read the viewbook and expect to pick your dream school. To make the most of the college experience, GET OUT OF THE DORM! I sat in my dorm my 1st semester of school and didn't meet many people. Even if you are shy, you have to step out of your comfort zone to enjoy all college has to offer.

All students MUST visit the college they are interested in. Do not settle for less! There is a college out there that meets everyone's wants and needs! Also look up some professors that teach at the school of your choice so you know what your getting into. Most of my friends loved their school, but realized they were in the middle of no where. Make sure you take a good look at your campus, but also look at your surrounding areas. Remember you do need a social life and it should not all be spent on campus. Go out and take a load off the books!

The best thing to do is actually get out and visit the campus you're interested in. Really think hard about what kind of school you want to attend: big, small, city life, country, etc.

Kathleen

When deciding on a college, make multiple visits, once by yourself, and once with a tour guide. Visiting by yourself allows you to see what is really going on with out interferance, but a tour guide will show you the highlights of the campus and give you a students view point. Also, research the teachers, alumni, anyone related to the school to see who you are going to be dealing with and what reputation the school has in the actual field, not just academics. Discuss what is important to you before applying, financial aid, distance from home, class size, activities, job placement, socializing, urban or rural location? And remember while at school, you are working towards a final goal, so keep your eye on the prize, but don't let it be all that you see. Part of college is getting an education ofr a carer, but the other part is learning who you are, what you want in life, and expanding your social circle and views.

Sara

I believe that your college experience is what you make of it. I applied to one school (Marymount University) after looking at only 3 others. The main things I looked at when making my decision were the academic programs offered. I made sure that the school offered all the majors that interested me in case I felt the need to switch majors. This way I wouldn't have to transfer schools if I switched my major. My first semester, I was really tempted to transfer to a bigger school, but I stuck it out and came to appreciate Marymount for its size. I found where I fit in and now it's like a home away from home. I realize everyone has a different way of adjusting to things, but I found it most helpful to connect with people on campus (students, professors and employees) to make the most of my experience at Marymount.

The first piece of advice I would give to students and their parents is to visit the campuses of the colleges that they have applied to. Make sure that the student goes on the weekends to see if the campus is dead. I would also advise students to talk to current students attending the college/university and ask questions regarding housing, financial aid, and professors. I would advise parents to stay in the college selection process until the child has successfully been accepted and has started attending that college/university. I would suggest that once students are accepted, that they get involved in a few activities and clubs that will enable them to make friends easily. I would also suggest not taking on too many activities or else it may interfere with school work . Overall, students should enjoy their college experience and get the most out of it that they can.