Maryville University of Saint Louis

« See more reviews of Maryville University of Saint Louis

The right college should feel like home. The best way to discover if the campus has this feeling is to schedule a campus visit. The people at that college should be welcoming and friendly. They should be willing to assist you through the entire college experience. This includes financial aid, academic advising, and picking a residence hall. Financial aid is important. Find out what scholarships are available for you and apply early. Meet with a financial counselor to discuss your expected costs for your first year. Even if you do not know what you would like to major in, your academic advisor will help find the classes that suit you. Do not be afraid to ask questions and tell them about your interests. The residence hall should meet your needs. Make sure you pick one that accomodates your bathroom needs, and find out if floors are coed or not. Eat the food that is offered on campus prior to attending. Also ask about crime rates and security. By finding a friendly campus with financial planning, academic guidance, cleanliness, security, and edible food, college should be your home away from home.

Dear high school Amy, Knowing what I've experienced the last two years at college, I'll tell you a few pieces of advice. First and most importantly: don't be afraid to be yourself and reach out to others first. Most everyone will appreciate friendliness and will talk to you if you talk to them. Don't be afraid to explore new things and get involved in many things to find your passion. Don't procrastinate, do your homework, and study; college is a lot more challenging than high school. If you have a question about ANYTHING, ask. Someone will be able to help you, and if they can't, they will direct you to someone who can. Take advantage of the experiences you encounter, leadership and volunteer opportunities, and be involved in what makes you happy. College is for working hard to earn a degree, but it's also time to find yourself and your passion, make life-long friends, establish connections, practice responsibiliy, and having fun. Keep up with your work in high school, save money, and enter college with a positive, welcoming attitude. Don't be scared; it'll be GREAT! --The experienced Amy

There are so many things that I would love to say to “high school Jenn”, although I doubt it would have made any difference at all knowing my stubborn self. Deltona isn’t the center of the universe and you will get out! You may want to make a few life and attitude adjustments to help out future Jenn though. My advice is simple and heartfelt. Pay attention in class-you might learn something and a scholarship would have been glorious. Give the professors that actually care, the respect and recognition that they deserve- after all it is those professions that inspire you to be a better person in the long run. Give mom and dad a break-they work hard every day to ensure that you have the things you need and will stand behind you through all of the crazy jumps and falls that you will experience in your journey. Keep family close- to pursue your dreams, you runaway. Call, visit, and keep in touch with the “Crazy Corkins”, ultimately they end up being pretty amazing. Smile, laugh and love deeply… And yes, Nick Brow… He is “the one”, although he makes you wait 11years for that ring!

I grew up in a small, close-minded community that offered safety and familiarity but left me no room to grow. By choosing to attend a university in the city, away from home, I opened myself up to limitless opportunities for meeting new people, experiencing other cultures, and allowing my love for learning to grow. My college experiences at Maryville have made me a leader, a critical thinker, and an independent adult with the ability to thrive in the real world. After coming from a high school that didn't offer much in the way of extracurriculars, I have enjoyed all the involvement opportunities Maryville has for its students. I have been on the University's Orientation Team, served as a Peer Mentor, participated in intramurals, held the presidential role in several organizations, and travelled to Florida and New Orleans for community service trips. My involvement on campus and in the community is my way of giving back to a family that has given so much to me. College is constantly giving me new tools to deal with the situations life hands me.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college life and making the transition, I would have a fairly long list of advice to give myself. One of the most important pieces of advice I would give myself is that it is important not only to do what is required for the classes, but also attend some of the activities on campus. These are great ways to mingle and find friends and connections that may be important later in life. I would also advise myself that it is important to take a little time each day to relieve stress and anxiety, wether it be by drawing, going for a run, or hanging out with friends. It's important not to let stress build up so that every bump in the road seems like a big deal. Another piece of advice I would give myself is that it is important to begin setting up time strictly for studying and doing homework. Procrastination can be a huge burden in college, and even if you didnt have to study in highschool, it is necessary to know how and apply it in college life.

College is a time for exploring who you are and what you can become, just remember that change is okay. It's okay to change your major, it's okay to change your friends, and it is okay to change your interests and activites. Just remember to make choices that you won't regret later and keep an open mind. As long as you don't let go of your morals, traditions, and standards, these choices will come naturally. As far as choosing a college, don't let finanical barriers get in the way, you will be in debt no matter what and choose a school that has your sencond choice major! Don't push yourself over the edge, take time to breath, not time out of school. Seek the help of those around you who have been through what your are going through now. Your friends will help you through the best and worst, last and first. Overall, listen to yourself and trust your instinct, what is best for you, afterall it is your life - you have to live with your decisions. As always, life is way too short - live it up and have fun!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to apply to more colleges and keep my options open. I was so set on going to a small college, that I didn't look at the bigger universities to see what they had to offer. This mistake is actually causing me to transfer next year. Both small and large universities have a lot to offer, but they offer different things. It's important to keep your mind open and apply to multiple different types of universities so that you can make the best decision when the time comes. Although you might feel set on a certain type of college, it is important to look at the options and weight the pros and cons. I would also advise staying closer to home. At the end of senior year, all any seniors can think about is getting far away from home. However, once you are far away from home, and everyone around you gets to go home to their families and fresh cooked meals, you begin to regret your decision of going too far away from home.

In my first year at Maryville, I have learned more about myself then I ever did in 4 years of high school. I have found out what I want to do, which has given me a goal to work towards, which has made me a more dedicated person to everything I do. With that dedication I've earned the respect of my classmates, teammates, and coworkesrs as well as my family and my group of friends. I've learned what it takes to be a successful student, and I'm heading in the right direction to be a better student. I'm not happy with my GPA only being a 3.0. My first year was definitely a learning experience, from which I took away many things. Learning about myself and about my future was the most important part of my first year, and without attending Maryville, under the circumstances which I attended the school and the events that occured when I arrived here, none of what I have now and what I know now could have ever been possible.

I would tell myself to make haste, and to take time to grow. Most high school seniors are more than ready to head off to college and enjoy the experience before graduation. I would emphasize that the time before college should be cherished. After all, it is the last chance to enjoy Mom's home-cooking, sleep in one's personal bed, and to enjoy the comforts of one's geographical location. Also, I would emphasize the importance of taking the ACT/SAT as many times as possible to enhance one's score. In doing so, this increases one's chances of getting more scholarship money and getting accpeted into more schools. Lastly, I would tell myself to apply to more than one school to allow for a wider range of selection choices. Moreover, if one does not get accepted into their desired school of choice, a number of different schools applied to act as a backup source.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the first thing I would have to tell myself is don't let this year pass you by without outstanding academic accomplishments because college is expensive and the better you do now the easier things will be. I would let myself know that despite the stress than hindered my focus in school that in time things would get better and right now academics is far more detremental to having a successful future. I would assure myself that college isnt easy but the struggle is worth it as long as you work hard in order to achieve that dream career that I desire. The last thing I would tell myself is that in college you are responsible for yourself what you do and don't do affects you and your family so being lazy is not an option and that the time to prepare yourself for this is right now.