Marywood University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Marywood University

Carolyn

Overall Marywood is an excellent school. Especially when it comes to their academics. Before I attended Marywood I was told that this was the best school to further my education. They provide great programs and opportunities for each major they offer. I am a freshman graphic design student and I love everything about my major. All of the professors are so helpful and supportive. Even the faculty here make things easier, my transition from high school to college was more than natural due to them. The only thing I find troublesome is the dorms. Nothing major is an issue but when it comes to the dorms I wish they were more up to date that's all, the dorms are a little "stuck in the past".

Victoria

Some good years with ups and downs but overall a good experience.

I have enjoyed my overall experience at Marywood. The community on campus is very tight-knit, but even more welcoming. I believe this is due in part to small class sizes, so you get to know staff and students on a more personal level. All students here are very active in their academics, but enjoy taking time to do activities outside the classroom as well. The campus is also very beautiful. I like how Marywood offers 5-year Master programs. The food is not the best, but considering it is cafeteria food cooked in bulk, it is really not that bad. However, I wish there was more things to do walking distance from campus.

Lois

I think that Marywood University is the perfect school for someone who wants an intimate college experience that has an average class size of around 30 and is a tight-knit community. It is a beautiful campus that is magical when it snows and the farthest walk is maybe fifteen minutes, however there is a pretty steep hill.

Makenzie

I think the campus is beautiful. The students are polite and helpful in regards to navigating. The professors are very passionate about their classes and that is something I love most. The dorms are nice, and so is not having communal bathrooms. The programs (especially 5-yr master's) are exceptional and very well managed. I am attending in the fall and expect nothing but a positive experience.

Christa

Great campus, great people.

Patrick

I had a far from perfect experience at Marywood. I entered the working world underprepared. There were outdated practices and lacking professional networking resources. However I learned a good foundation that I still fall back on. On a social/relationship aspect, I built amazing friendships that have carried on, many, many years later. It seems some changes have been made at Marywood University that hopefully lead to improvements for students.

I love Marywood, it is a nice, safe campus, where the food has good days and bad days and the professors are always welcoming. The majority of the staff is willing to talk to you when you pass them on the sidewalk and it is a great campus to make friends at.

Noah

Marywood University allows students to take a comprehensive approach to academics within a small class. The campus has great facilities to that are artist and academically equipped to help a student succeed. Any student that wants to embody a fantastic social and academic experience this is where it starts.

Alyssa

Marywood have a nice campus and friendly people. The faculty is very knowledgeable and is always willing to help.

Sara

Marywood University provides a unique college experience that students can not achieve at Penn State, Harvard or Ohio State. Marywood promotes kindness and leadership and inclusiveness that creates a successful and supportive environment for all types of students. The campus is on the much smaller side of life and allows for students to know each other and know their professors. Students build relationships and are able to rely on Marywood's staff in a way that large campuses cannot be there for its students. You are set up to succeed at Marywood rather than to be broken down by large numbers and statistics.

Heidi

Marywood University is a smaller school located in Scranton, PA. Quaint and beautiful are two words I would use to describe campus, followed by "hilly". As a graduate student, I do not have the greatest feel for what life is like as an undergraduate, but I do know that classes are wonderful, you will be treated well, and the facilities are great. I do not have any complaints about living on campus as a graduate student, and I do not have any complaints about the food, aside from the expenses. I loved my undergraduate experience, so that is hard to top, but Marywood does come in a close second, despite the Scranton location.

James

Marywood in general is a very small school. I believe there are about 3500 kids total which i believe is an amazing thing. Having so little attendees everyone basically knows everyone including the teachers. The academics here at Marywood are also also amazing because the teachers know all of their students and can have one on one time if needed. Marywood in general is a great school because of its size, its academics, its school activities and much more.

Miranda

Marywood is the perfect place to attend if you are looking for a close knit community. I never have to worry about not knowing someone in my classes, and walking around campus you will always run into a familiar face. The campus pride's itself on being a catholic community and you will hear that a lot throughout campus, however personally, not being catholic, it has never been pushed on me or anything. Being in the architecture program I have definitely gained another family, everyone is so close and supporting it is an awesome community to be around. Overall I'm glad I am able to call Marywood my home for five years and it is definitely going to be hard to say goodbye.

Aislinn

Marywood University is a really small, nice campus. It is easy to navigate about in, the food is pretty nice, and the faculty is ready to help a needing student. The student body is helpful to one another, whether a freshman needs to know where a certain building, or about certain club activities. There are many fun activities the student body hosts, including open mic nights. The clubs and activities are inclusive to all, regardless of race, gender, and religion.

Erica

Needs imporovement. Outdated when it comes to certain professors and teaching techniques. Best majors to pursue are speech therapy, nursing, biology, or architecture. Leadership of head members of the school however are questionable. It can be said that there is constant change which may not be necessarily a good thing.

Miranda

I absolutely love Marywood University! The academics are great and student life is also huge at this school! There is always something going on to participate in! I feel like I learn a great deal in each of my classes. The professors are always willing to help with whatever they can.

Madison

When asked where I go to school and I answer Marywood University, I usually get the response, "Oh where is that? I have never heard of it." This goes to show how small the school really is. With that being said, just because it is small doesn't mean it isn't a great place to go to school and earn an outstanding education. To me, my professors are some of the smartest and caring teachers I have ever known. I think that the personalized attention and support you get from faculty is what has really made Marywood such a positive school to attend. Overall, the school is great for a student who is focused on his or her education and enjoys the small size of a university. The Pennsylvania mountain views are also a great added bonus!

The key attribute that makes Marywood University different from any other school is there are five core values that shape the community on campus. These five values include Catholic Identity, Respect, Empowerment, Service and Excellence. Every decision, faculty member and student is chosen based on these values. Every person on campus is focused on growth and community, not personal gains. I strongly believe that when reviewing colleges the most item is the community and the overall vibe of the student body. Technical items are also important, such as dorm rooms and on-campus food, but who you are being influenced by should be the most significant quality a campus can offer. Due to Marywood community’s strong influence by the five core values, I believe Marywood attracts the very best people. The first value, Catholic Identity, is where the Marywood campus gets their roots. This value is not to be confused with every person needing to be of Catholic faith because we do not discriminate. The reason Marywood uses Catholic Identity is because of the faith’s traditions to pursue truth, goodness, beauty, justice and the common good. Every person on campus is focused not only on studies, but on becoming the most morally good person they can be. Being in an environment where good is the common goal has opened up a whole new world of support. The second value, Respect, is presented in a more complex way than in high school. In grade school we are taught to “treat others how we want to be treated”. At Marywood, we present Respect as honoring the uniqueness of each human being, choosing the most ethical interactions and caring for all creation. Whether respecting people or the planet itself, Marywood holds respect as one of the most important core values and there is no toleration for disrespect on any level. The third value, Empowerment, makes sure every person from every background is granted the same education tools to reach their full potential. This is very unique to Marywood as they make sure every resource is being used by every student. There is no exclusivity to any building, room or club. Therefore, every person becomes more educationally well-rounded in ways other universities cannot provide. The fourth value, Service, is used both to promote our human social responsibility to serve the people around us and to promote the importance of interacting with the community. Marywood does plenty of mission trips and service based events. Marywood University reaches from a local-scale to a global-scale to spread goodness. Every student accepted to Marywood has a great sense of aid and a need to serve others. The fifth value, Excellence, ensures every student is pursuing the highest level of achievement. There is a strong belief on campus that no one is limited. Every student and faculty member promotes hard academic work. This provides students with the ability to self-motivate and it helps students become comfortable with the hard work that will be expected of them. Through the promotion of hard work, community service, respect, empowerment and traditions from the Catholic faith; Marywood University creates the strongest individual adults. Academically, each student is prepared by faculty to meet every assignment and test. However, the most important trait we are taught is how to be a good human being. Therefore, Marywood University deserves the top rating because there are few institutions who ensure that their students do not become a statistic. Instead students become so much more than a statistic, they become strong leaders and advocates for the moral goodness each human has to offer.

I had a great undergrad experience at Marywood University. The academics are challenging and you are tested to the best of your abilities. Their education department is excellent and highly recognized. Everyone is very friendly on campus and the professors are great to work with. I am going back in the spring to get my Masters!

haley

Marywood is a great school if you are looking for a small school with great people. There is truly something there for everyone. Although we are not the most technologically advanced school, we have a lot to offer. The history and art in our buildings is amazing!

Marywood has a great education. As well as a great campus. Many of the building are very old fashioned and there’s not much diversity in the school. The professors are very kind, but you aren’t acknowledged to your grade; students must calculate their own.

Denville

I think Marywood University is a very safe campus for students, parents and staff members. There are plenty of opportunities for students to do stuff outside of the classroom, also they offer help for all area of study students at the campus are struggling with.