North Adams, MA
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

Shannon

Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts feels like home to me. There are great people, great services, and I feel safe anywhere on campus. The faculty is always around to help me, and watch us students succeed. I am looking forward to my life here at MCLA and growing as a person.

Holly

It is a great school, very academically lively. The social atmosphere is a little underwhelming, but it is not to bad. The resources, including the faculty, are outstanding and are definitely the highlights of the experience. The town it is located in is relatively unsafe and at times it can be quite off putting, but the campus itself is very safe.

Brigid

A place that fosters inspiration for your future in one of the most beautiful places in Massachusetts.

First of all, I'd tell myself to take a deep breath and reevaluate my first day of school outfit. That thrift store dress was absolutely aweful. Then, I'd tell myself to sign up for scholorships early and sign up for each and every one. Don't slack off and don't forget your goal. I'd tell myself to take the job at Forever 21 and not Macy's cuz managements nicer. Finally, I'd give myself a kiss on the cheek and say "You can do it" because i really needed to hear that around Christmas break.

I would say, the worst thing about my school that I've noticed so far is where it's located. While North Adams is gorgeously surrounded by nature it isn't very great for cell service and wifi. On my packing list they specifically put an Ethernet cord because sometimes the Wifi goes out and we need to be able to plug in to do school work. We can work around it, but it's a little annoying.

amber

My classmates are diverse and quiet in class but different and fun outside of class.

Don't waste time procrastinating. Take everything slow but work efficiently so that the outcome is better. When it's time to apply for colleges take the time to go over your choices with an advisor and your parents they will most definitely help you and relieve some of the stress you will feel. When you're deciding on a college remember to find a place that feels comfortable to you and has a program that you are passionate about. Don't just choose a college based on one factor like cost or proximity to home. This is your time to leave home and flourish as an adult. It may seem scary but you can do it and you are never alone. You have friends family and school officials supporting you and helping you every step of the way. When you've finally decided where you want to go have fun along the journey as well as study and work hard to achieve the success that you have dreamed about since you were little. You can do this and everyone you know loves you and wants to see you succeed so get out there and grab life by the horns.

The person should be ready to explore new things this person should be down for anything that is thrown at them. They should be fun and passionate so that their stay won't feel like they're trapped or anything.

Mary

The price was significantly lower than other colleges I looked at. When I was first looking at schools I toured MCLA and the people were friendlier compared to other colleges.

The college process can seem overwhelming but it is important to remain calm. There are several schools out there so you need to narrow your focus right from the start. Even though out of state schools appear picturesque staying in Massachusetts is a better decision. Looking in Massachusetts there are several colleges and you have to keep an open mind to all of them. Each college has a unique design and one of them will fit what you are looking for. For your first four years try to find a college you will enjoy going to that has a good reputation but is affordable. College is expensive and you dont want to be in too much debt before you even get a chance to work on your master's degree. Finally don't be afraid to ask for help during the college search because there are several people out there to help you through it.

Rebecca

There are two kinds of students here: those who care and those who don't; those who don't care aren't remember, those who do care succeed and do great things.

This is a wonderful school for people who are ready to shine. If you are the kind of student that isn’t sure what you want to do, but is passionate about learning, this is a great school. Both faculty and peers will help you find a niche that fits you, where you can find a happy future with a career you will love. There is some partying, which is expected. (With a relatively small student body, classrooms are often intimate, so be prepared for being a part of the conversation.

Jasper

MCLA is a college with a close-knit community, in an extremely rural area.

MCLA is a college with a close-knit community, in an extremely rural area.

High school can be mastered, and vastly completed, via mentally cramming information for long enough to complete tests and assignments. I received some of my best high school grades and GPAs this way, however if I could talk to my high school self, I would strongly advise against exercising this method. Although I often received the desired grades, at the time I did not recognize the insubstantiality and counter-productivity of cramming. The revelation came to me in college, while taking courses that were similar to classes I had previously taken in high school. I noticed that my knowledge of subjects that I excelled in throughout high school was insufficient, as I did not retain much of the information. This was particularly evident in my college business course, as I needed to spend much of my personal time in my professor's office learning about the stock market, despite attaining an A+ in a high school class that looked into the topic exstensively. Advising myself to truly learn, rather than cram information, could have potentially saved me countless hours of studying in college; hours that could have been spent learning new things, as opposed to revising information of the past.

The best thing is that the small population enables me to get personal attention when needed.

Siobhan

My classmates are loud and social but dedicated to their education.

My classmates are loud and social but dedicated to their education.

I am a firm believer that the past is the past. I believe all mistakes and events led to a person’s character. I have made more than a few mistakes. If I could go back to my senior year and tell myself anything, I would not say much. I would say relax. I would tell myself you will make friends – friends so great that within two months you will forget you ever lived without them. Moving into a room you will share for the first time is not as terrifying you think it will be. Remember to eat breakfast that day; there is no need to pass out, so seriously eat a muffin. Though the passing out story did gain some laughs and make you a friend or two… so maybe skip the muffin. The most important piece of advice I can give is enjoy your senior year. From National Convention to your job to prom to graduation, the year will fly by – make some memories.

People who attend MCLA can not be highly addicted to cell phones (there's not a whole lot of service.) But other than that, students need to be willing to break their comfort zone. If students do not participate in clubs and groups activly, the sleepy mountain town is unbareable.

Damon

MCLA is very close to my home town and is easy to travel to anytime of the day. The price to attend is much less than other area colleges, however they are not state schools like MCLA so it is hard to compare the two financially. Although MCLA lacked in many ways to other area schools, its financial advantage is more powerful than the quality of the education. The schools location is unique in that it sits it in the middle of a historic mill town which had it's population deflated since its boom in the late 1800s.

To go back in time and talk to myself as a High school senior I would resist the urge to explain to my younger self how uneducated and unexperienced he is, and would instead say one thing which would provide a lifetime of benefit, saving myself my making poor choices. My words to my younger self would start with an explaination that he must listen to himself, even if it is an older self who comes back in time. However listening to yourself is not always enough, sometimes you can give yourself bad advice and make poor choices. I would explain to my younger self that you need to strip away the emotions and desire which warrant and require this choice, exposing the for what it is really worth. Then you can see this choice in it's raw form and determine if their are any side effects or bad consequences which may come from this choice. Poor choices happen in the blink of an eye, but their consequences can have a lasting effect. It is better to know that you missed a lifetime of poor choices, than to miss out on a lifetime because of a poor choice.

The tutoring services are quite possibly the worst thing about MCLA because of its effect on the student population. The lack of services offered in tutoring services presents a problem for the academically challenged, and forces the student to seek out help on their own, which limits the seekers to a small few who have the drive and dedication to learn on their own. Although tutoring services are available on campus, their reach and availabling are far from adequate and do not provide students with the help needed in times of crisis.

courtney

I probably would have told myself to have graduated earlier. I had all of my credits halfway through my senior year but I remained at school for the rest of the school year. I really wish I left earlier. In college I am not bullied everyday, people care about their education, and it is just a better environment. I also would have told myself to sign up for a lot more scholorships because a lot of themk have a deadline of having to be under 18. I would have also started taking a college class during high school because it is a great way to adjust yourself into that environment. You learn to enjoy school and want to learn and want to write papers.

Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.