North Adams, MA
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

Erica

Stay focused. Yes, your parent's divorce will take some time to get used to and get over with, but the process is temporary. College is four years of your life - don't lose sight of it. The time you and your parents waist on this battle is time you lose focusing on getting money for college. Time spent agonizing over high school drama within your circle of family and friends is time better spent pinning down what you'll need for college. Losing your focus your senior year of high school can only spell trouble your freshman year of college. And believe me, there are problems. So like I said, stay focused.

The best thing about MCLA is the small amount of students both on campus and in the classrooms. This creates a high school-like experience where every student is given the attention and help they need to receive their diplomas.

Joselyn

The first thing I would tell myself if I could go back in time and talk to myself is to smarten up. I would tell myself to be prepared because the transition from high school to college is much greater than what some make it out to be. I would give myself the advice to be putting effort into school work and caring about school now, not waiting until college to start caring. I would tell myself high school is a big stepping stone into your college future, embrace it, cherish it, and do well.

I have not been at my school long enough to find complete flaws in it. I transferred into my school and have been attending it for only one semester. The one semester that I have been at my school has been a great experience thus far.

The most frustrating thing about my school is something in which is not even linked to my education. The most frustrating thing is my schools store hours. The store hours tend to be really inconvenient for people with early morning classes. It is really frustrating wanting something early morning and having nothing open.

Lindsay

My classmates are concerned not only about my well-being and success in class, but the success of other peers in the classroo...

My classmates are concerned not only about my well-being and success in class, but the success of other peers in the classroom.

As a high school senior, I wasn't very involved in extracurricular activities. If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to participate in activities beyond the classroom. By getting involved in clubs and various extracurriculars at college, I have established lasting, lifelong friendships. Furthermore, I currently hold executive board positions in several campus organizations; I never would have seen myself holding any leadership roles as a high school senior. I would also advise myself to ask for help whenever I needed it. As an intelligent high school senior--and an academic role model--I was too embarassed to ask for help. At college, I learned that I'm only preventing myself from learning to my fullest potential when I do not ask questions. I shouldn't have been so ashamed to raise my hand, as many other people may have had the same question (but were also too afraid to ask). Fortunately, I've learned these lessons now. However, if I could have learned them sooner, the transition to college would have been much easier.

Here the professors have a wide variety of experiences; I have professors who grew up in foreign countries and others who have done extensive research in foreign countries creating a truly global experience within the classroom. Many of them go a step further to offer travel courses. Here there is a focus on cultural understanding. Through MCLA's Center for Student Success and Engagement students are able to find study abroad options that fit their financial situation. I know I would not have been able to travel as much as I did without the support of MCLA's administration.

So much to say so few words. First take the time to thank all of the people who have helped you over the years, right now it seems like you will never and could never grow apart, but time and space changes things. Thank them while you can. You do not need to worry about these changes, the people you are going to meet will have more things in common with you than you think; you just need to get out there and meet them. I know you're shy, but really the quicker you can shed that shyness the better; its the only regret I have from my four years at MCLA. Also things are not as concrete as you like to think of them and the earlier you realize that fluidity is key the better, your life has much less stress after that. Understand that what you learned in high school is just the tip of the ice berg, the subjects you will study are much more intricate and interesting than you ever thought. You just need to be willing to go the extra mile. Unlike highs chool here you will be respected and your opinions will count.

The current meal plan options are the worst thing about going to MCLA. Going to a small school means having a small dining hall with hours that do not seem to fit all the students' needs. It's particularly problematic when students are looking for something to eat late at night. However MCLA is working towards fixing this and is currenty working on redoing the meal plan options as well as looking to have food options available later in to the night.

Nikki

You pay for what you get...

You pay for what you get...

They're not very serious, the most popular majors are education (MCLA used to be a teachers college), psychology, and sociology. If you're in the honors program you can do a dissertation-type paper and graduate as a commonwealth scholar. You can also register for classes early if you're in the honors program.

It's a pretty small school a short walk away from a town. There's a lot of construction going on. There are many trees on campus and you can see the Berkshire Mountains from anywhere on campus. The campus is pretty clean and some of the buildings are actually really pretty (architecturally).

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The best part of the social scene on campus is that you can usually get free food at least 3 times a week if you know where to look. Yesterday they gave out free caramel apples with sprinkles, sometimes they give out free munchkins and apple cider etc. The worst part is how loud it is. I can hear people screaming standing in front of my building until 3am some nights and I live on the fourth floor.

If you're from Massachusetts and you did well in high school/did well on your mass state testing you can probably go here for free.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

A cheap and small liberal arts school in the freezing cold berkshires full of students from massachusetts. The curriculum is not challenging.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I think the WEEK on campus I'll never forget was in October when almost all of the trees had changed color and before they had started dropping their leaves. From campus you can see the surrounding mountains and they had all changed color too. The nature on campus can be beautiful. All around campus are marigolds, hostas and dusty millers.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Whether public safety should carry guns and the new cafeteria system

Describe a typical weekend.

There are usually events going on around campus every weekend (sports, clubs, activities etc (even if they aren't always fun)) and I believe there are one or two parties every weekend at the frat house.

The only tradition at MCLA is to walk through the gates when you first enroll in the school. They keep them locked almost all year long (but not during the first week). You can only walk through them again as you graduate or, as the tradition goes, you won't graduate in 4 years. I accidentally walked through them after I enrolled!

The stereotype at MCLA is that most of the students are either unmotivated or very weird. There are plenty of kids who don't care about their grades here and just want to smoke pot , drink and be social. There are a lot of "weird" students who go here. From the students with pink hair and piercings to the ones who love working on sets for plays, every breed of "weirdo" can be found here.

Yes. There are plenty of weird kids and plenty of financially needy kids. There's also a lot of ethnic diversity here. The typical "pretty girl" and stoner also are likely to attend this school because MCLA focuses less on grades than on extra circulars.

What's the dating scene like?

Most students are "paired up". You always see couples walking around campus together.

What's the Greek scene like?

To my knowledge there is one Fraternity and one Sorority. All I know about them is that I can hear the Fraternity partying on weekends all the way across campus.

Describe the dorms.

Hoosac Hall is the freshman-only dorm (it's very loud and impersonal) Berkshire Towers are for anyone to live in (that's where I live) Townhouses/Apts are on campus and you have to be a Sophmore, Junior or Senior to live there (and are both extremely loud)

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports area is a short drive from campus. There are usually volleyball games in the gym (but I don't think anyone goes). As far as I know, students support intramurals (like ultimate frisbee) much more than the"real" sports.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The second floor of the library or if you're in the honors program, the honors room.

What are the most popular classes offered?

The classes that filled up first this semester were: Concepts in Biology, Intro to Biology, The Chemistry of CSI, Elementary Spanish 1, Intro to Literature, and College Writing 2. Don't get too excited, this school is by no means focused on biology. The curriculum is set up that every student (regardless of major) needs 1 year of a language, must take College Writing 2, must take Intro to Lit and must take a lab science.

What do students complain about most?

The terrible food and the lack of cell phone service/wifi.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The low pricetag swayed me.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Low income housing and a dead town. North Adams had its day in the sun a long time ago, and now the town is desperately trying and failing to be what it used to be. It's sad.

What are your classes like?

Small but somehow, for the most part, unfocused...

The stereotypes at MCLA vary from unmotivated slacker to unmotivated bro, etc.... all are true.

It's not a great school academically but it's a good bargain if you want a degree.

The most popular clubs are SGA the student gov., and the shakespeare theatre. Many students couple off during their freshman year. Some people party at the fraternities on weekends.

These students are very open minded, the campus is practically hate-free. People are very tolerant of race and sexual orientation here. Many students wear purple clothes and strange hats here for some reason...

jorden

i am in my second week at itt tech in lex ky. they experience is gr8t and with me taking computor drafting and design it will enable me to make my future and not let my future make me.when i get my associates i plan on going into the marines to finish getting my bachelors. me, i find that this college offers me the opportunity to not only better the future for myself but for my family also for my father is 68 in poor health and my mother is 49 who is a breast cancer survivor and has ms.if i am given this scholarship it will help take some of the burden off of my family.my school has everthing thing that i need to help me succeed and everyone there is willing to help me in everyway that they can.the school had graduates that have went on to the service to help our country in their field.i look forward to the next two yrs there and know that it is the best decission that i ever made.

Rebecca

Everything i could've hoped for in a college.

Everything i could've hoped for in a college.

My college experience has only begun. Ive done over night visits and orientation to my college and know prior students and my college experience will be filled with sports, education, learning experiences and a lot of firsts for me.

Its very tight knit and small. Its a good atmosphere and as long as you dont mind a small campus it is great.

Andrew

Incredibly artistic and unafraid to raise their hands in class, often say hello to people from classes that they recognise.

Firstly; break up with her because she is going to cheat on you in two months. Second; turn in the rest of your homework and don't be so afraid during orientation because after you realise that everyone here is pretty cool you will make a lot of friends easily. Third; don't worry about housing because the dorms are really nice but make sure you study more freshman year and don't take that philosophy course because the teacher doesn't know the difference between Lucretius and Epicurus. Fourth; relax, do your homework first before hanging out and read the books assigned because they are actually really interesting. Lastly; get more sleep because your sophmore year here you will change your major to education and have to get up at seven every single day. Most important of all though; don't be afraid to go out and do whatever it is you want to do because you only have this one life and you shouldn't waste it by being afraid of anything.

The baseball team thinks they can do anything and get away with it but they are quickly learning that is not the case as they are about to lose their housing assignment.

If I had the ability to go back in time and talk to myself I would tell high school me to relax and to stop worrying. That I don't need to know what I want to do in my future yet. That I don't need all the answers. There is plenty of time to decide. I would tell myself to stop and have fun.

I brag about how great the people there are and how there is so much to do. About how the teachers actually care about your potential to succeed.

If i had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, my advice would be very mature and responsible compared to my seventeen year old self. I would explain how nothing should be taken for granted because no matter how upset or mad you might be, it is not that important. Especially when it comes to your parents and family, because they truly are the glue that holds you together. Also, do not take things lightly when it comes to your future. I would say, you need to realize that right now is the begining of everything. This is the begining of not only your future but your freedom and independence. Take yourself more seriously and realize that this is the most important transistion period of your life, so take advantage! Seize the opportunity by looking for ways to explore and expand your horizons. Lastly, i would tell myself that you are the only barrier when it comes to succeding. Believe that you are limitless.

Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.