Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

« See more reviews of Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

High school can be mastered, and vastly completed, via mentally cramming information for long enough to complete tests and assignments. I received some of my best high school grades and GPAs this way, however if I could talk to my high school self, I would strongly advise against exercising this method. Although I often received the desired grades, at the time I did not recognize the insubstantiality and counter-productivity of cramming. The revelation came to me in college, while taking courses that were similar to classes I had previously taken in high school. I noticed that my knowledge of subjects that I excelled in throughout high school was insufficient, as I did not retain much of the information. This was particularly evident in my college business course, as I needed to spend much of my personal time in my professor's office learning about the stock market, despite attaining an A+ in a high school class that looked into the topic exstensively. Advising myself to truly learn, rather than cram information, could have potentially saved me countless hours of studying in college; hours that could have been spent learning new things, as opposed to revising information of the past.

To go back in time and talk to myself as a High school senior I would resist the urge to explain to my younger self how uneducated and unexperienced he is, and would instead say one thing which would provide a lifetime of benefit, saving myself my making poor choices. My words to my younger self would start with an explaination that he must listen to himself, even if it is an older self who comes back in time. However listening to yourself is not always enough, sometimes you can give yourself bad advice and make poor choices. I would explain to my younger self that you need to strip away the emotions and desire which warrant and require this choice, exposing the for what it is really worth. Then you can see this choice in it's raw form and determine if their are any side effects or bad consequences which may come from this choice. Poor choices happen in the blink of an eye, but their consequences can have a lasting effect. It is better to know that you missed a lifetime of poor choices, than to miss out on a lifetime because of a poor choice.

As a high school senior, I wasn't very involved in extracurricular activities. If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to participate in activities beyond the classroom. By getting involved in clubs and various extracurriculars at college, I have established lasting, lifelong friendships. Furthermore, I currently hold executive board positions in several campus organizations; I never would have seen myself holding any leadership roles as a high school senior. I would also advise myself to ask for help whenever I needed it. As an intelligent high school senior--and an academic role model--I was too embarassed to ask for help. At college, I learned that I'm only preventing myself from learning to my fullest potential when I do not ask questions. I shouldn't have been so ashamed to raise my hand, as many other people may have had the same question (but were also too afraid to ask). Fortunately, I've learned these lessons now. However, if I could have learned them sooner, the transition to college would have been much easier.

My advice to parents in regards to finding the 'right' college is to allow their children to make the decision for themselves based on how a visit to the campus makes them feel. I strongly believe that picking the right college all depends on a students initial reaction to it, so every parent should make an effort to shuttle their children around to every college that poses an interest. Picking a college can be one of the most important things, and keep in mind that big name colleges and universities does not guarantee a successful career. Your child has to be happy and comfortable at a college in order for it to be beneficial. The advice that I would give to students, apart from what I have said to their parents, is to do as much research as possible. Make sure you have options with your education and that there are plenty of extracurricular activities to keep you busy and stress free. In order to make the most of your college experience you need to get out on campus and enjoy it, both academically and socially, so be ready!

Don't waste time procrastinating. Take everything slow but work efficiently so that the outcome is better. When it's time to apply for colleges take the time to go over your choices with an advisor and your parents they will most definitely help you and relieve some of the stress you will feel. When you're deciding on a college remember to find a place that feels comfortable to you and has a program that you are passionate about. Don't just choose a college based on one factor like cost or proximity to home. This is your time to leave home and flourish as an adult. It may seem scary but you can do it and you are never alone. You have friends family and school officials supporting you and helping you every step of the way. When you've finally decided where you want to go have fun along the journey as well as study and work hard to achieve the success that you have dreamed about since you were little. You can do this and everyone you know loves you and wants to see you succeed so get out there and grab life by the horns.

So much to say so few words. First take the time to thank all of the people who have helped you over the years, right now it seems like you will never and could never grow apart, but time and space changes things. Thank them while you can. You do not need to worry about these changes, the people you are going to meet will have more things in common with you than you think; you just need to get out there and meet them. I know you're shy, but really the quicker you can shed that shyness the better; its the only regret I have from my four years at MCLA. Also things are not as concrete as you like to think of them and the earlier you realize that fluidity is key the better, your life has much less stress after that. Understand that what you learned in high school is just the tip of the ice berg, the subjects you will study are much more intricate and interesting than you ever thought. You just need to be willing to go the extra mile. Unlike highs chool here you will be respected and your opinions will count.

The best thing to do when looking for schools is to go visit the campus. Sure, you can look at pictures and think that it's a nice place to further your education, but you can't beat the feeling of visiting. That way you will know your way around and will be able to see every aspect of the campus. Usually the college will send you housing papers over the summer telling you who your roommate will be. I suggest finding them on facebook or even calling them so that you feel like you at least know one person before you move in, and it also helps so the two of you don't bring doubles of anything. Get involved on campus, especially as an incoming freshman because this will you help you find a bunch of friends with common interests. The best advice I can give to someone going to college for the first time is try everything once. College goes by so fast and you don't realize it until you're a Junior, like me. These are the best years of your life; don't let them pass you by.

If i had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, my advice would be very mature and responsible compared to my seventeen year old self. I would explain how nothing should be taken for granted because no matter how upset or mad you might be, it is not that important. Especially when it comes to your parents and family, because they truly are the glue that holds you together. Also, do not take things lightly when it comes to your future. I would say, you need to realize that right now is the begining of everything. This is the begining of not only your future but your freedom and independence. Take yourself more seriously and realize that this is the most important transistion period of your life, so take advantage! Seize the opportunity by looking for ways to explore and expand your horizons. Lastly, i would tell myself that you are the only barrier when it comes to succeding. Believe that you are limitless.

Firstly; break up with her because she is going to cheat on you in two months. Second; turn in the rest of your homework and don't be so afraid during orientation because after you realise that everyone here is pretty cool you will make a lot of friends easily. Third; don't worry about housing because the dorms are really nice but make sure you study more freshman year and don't take that philosophy course because the teacher doesn't know the difference between Lucretius and Epicurus. Fourth; relax, do your homework first before hanging out and read the books assigned because they are actually really interesting. Lastly; get more sleep because your sophmore year here you will change your major to education and have to get up at seven every single day. Most important of all though; don't be afraid to go out and do whatever it is you want to do because you only have this one life and you shouldn't waste it by being afraid of anything.

i am in my second week at itt tech in lex ky. they experience is gr8t and with me taking computor drafting and design it will enable me to make my future and not let my future make me.when i get my associates i plan on going into the marines to finish getting my bachelors. me, i find that this college offers me the opportunity to not only better the future for myself but for my family also for my father is 68 in poor health and my mother is 49 who is a breast cancer survivor and has ms.if i am given this scholarship it will help take some of the burden off of my family.my school has everthing thing that i need to help me succeed and everyone there is willing to help me in everyway that they can.the school had graduates that have went on to the service to help our country in their field.i look forward to the next two yrs there and know that it is the best decission that i ever made.