Cambridge, MA
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Pooja

My classmates are passionate, intelligent, and committed toward making a difference.

It's best known for its level of difficulty and hacks.

Now having the freshman year of my undergraduate experience under my belt, I wish I could've told myself as a senior to express myself more freely. Arriving on campus, I noticed that the term "conformity" only existed to describe our student body as a whole; in reality, everyone was an individual and expressed this in their own way. Some wore clothes they were most comfortable in, whether they be weird hats or pajamas to class, and others devoted themselves to research or extracurriculars they enjoyed.

Kelsey

I would go back in time and tell my former self to stay at your first choice college! Don't come home right away and just try to stick out at least the first semester! You might decide you like it. If you don't like your roommate it is possible to get another roommate or your own room, so STICK IT OUT!

Sneha

College? Exciting! Welcome this change!High school is almost over and—what’s that, a tear?The past will be with you. The future won’t scare you.Trust yourself. Do not fear.Do all you want and ever wanted to. Yes, these years will be difficult,But you are capable.Take challenging classesTake fun and intriguing onesExplore the city and campus lifeExplore yourself and your ambitionsTry new activities, subjects, and sportsMake new dishes, friends, ideas, and plansKeep growing and reaching out further than before!And keep the past friends and good memoriesBut don’t cling on if they drift away.Forget that grudge, forget that crush,For your time and mind are too precious For brooding and lamenting and such.Play the piano as beforeAnd also try singing and dancing and more.Create crafts and poems as beforeAnd also try painting and programming and more.Life is not a part of college;College is a part of life—An exhilarating and enthralling part. Have no qualms about its start!Now give your teachers a thank you,Your friends an au revoir,And your family a huge hug.Get rea—Nah. You already are.

MIT is for the kind of person who appreciates challenges, likes intellectual stimulation, approaches new opportunities, and is looking to be among a community of peers, as well as faculty, with a diverse set of strengths and passions but similar drive and determination. It is best suited for the person seeking to study science and/or engineering, yet it does not lack classes and opportunities in other disciplines.

The difficulty of the coursework is most frustrating, but it is simultaneously one of the defining characteristics of MIT.

Kate

People here know how to be themselves, help each other, and have fun while working on hard issues and solving the problems of the future.

You have a very good idea of who you are and what you want out of life already. Stay true to yourself, but don't be afraid to let your assumptions be challenged. Things might not turn out the way you have them planned now and you should embrace that change rather than shrinking away from it. Don't sacrifice your values, but don't cling to things you call your "values" just because you've always believed them. Challenge yourself, don't take the easy way out, become the person you wish you could be.

Rebecca

MIT is a school where people come and realize that there are people just like them in the world. It is a place where everyone was in the top in high school, but now they all have to fit into one school. Some people struggle, most succeed both academically and socially. It is intense, but you choose that when you decide to come to MIT. You will bond with friends over problem sets, and may choose one night a week to let loose, but will be up in the morning working on problem sets. MIT is an incredible place to push yourself and get involved in things you never thought possible. People are very involved in extracurriculars and there is everything you could imagine. If it doesn't exist, make it. MIT students do tend to live in their own bubble though and don't know what is happening in the world around them. Some students have never been to Boston (except for the ride from the airport) despite the fact it is only a bridge away. MIT is what you make it. If you choose to take advantage of what it will offer you, it will be one of the most incredible experiences of your life.

MIT is by far the most diverse place I had ever been, both ethnically and socio-economically. That being said, some groups tend to segregate themselves, in particular Asians and African-Americans. Of course, this is a generalization, but one I find to be true. An African-American girl I live with in an ILG (independent living group) said she moved in so that she could meet people who weren't African-American. Most MIT students aren't really active in politics. Whether they lean left or right, I don't know. There is probably every type of person at MIT, from the stereotypical (but smart) jock to the geeky kid who never comes out of his room to musicians, artists and everything in between.

MIT is an incredible place, but it is starting to feel stifling. The MIT bubble can be difficult to break out of, but the rewards you get from your years at MIT will be great.

Everyone at MIT is smart, there is no doubt about that. Some are geniuses, but most just work hard. There are quirks that many MIT students share, but most people are not socially awkward; they can function in greater society and even befriend people! Also, not all of us know how computers work. Some do, and the rest of us turn to them.

As a freshman, many of your technical classes will be large lectures with small recitations. This may worry you, but don't let it. There is no need to have a small class for multi-variable calculus, and your TA will help you along the way. Some introductory class professors are available in office hours etc, but most students get help from TAs. As you get older, you start having smaller classes, and can get to know your professors. That is up to you though. You need to put in the effort to build the relationships that will serve you while you are still in school, and once you leave. MIT has a very collaborative atmosphere. In my department (civil engineering), for example, students are required to work together on problem sets, projects etc. to imitate what the work environment will be like. Studying is everyone's main activity. You can make time for other things if you are organized, but this is not a place to skate by.

Most people's social lives revolve around where they live. This may be a dorm, an ILG or a fraternity or sorority. MIT is the place where the parties in Boston happen, but there are also people who have never been to a frat party. The campus is divided between East Campus and West Campus, with two very different cultures that attract very different types of people. West Campus is considered a more 'normal' college experience, while East Campus is very MIT.

Everyone seems to think that MIT students are geniuses, socially awkward and can fix any computer problem you come up with.

From college I have learned how to be independent. I have grown a lot personally and spiritually. MIT has helped me learn many things academically that have been important- but the most important things I have learned have been about who I am as a person, away from my family. This has been valuable because it has prepared me for what lies ahead in life where I will have to question my decisions and actions through my own definition of self. and coming to better know myself before then will help me along the way.

Someone who doesn't have a passion for math or science. Or who doesn't want to be required to take several science courses in addition to their degree.

The hacks. Go check them out online. Lots of crazy things done to the dome just for fun. Also the intensity of everything you learn- it goes faster at MIT and more in depth, so you get so much more out of all the time you spend doing classwork.

Juhee

MIT is known for being one of the best schools in the country, but that doesn't mean anything to us. We're egalitarian, diverse, and share a love of "hacking" - our word for pranking. Every MIT student knows the acronym IHTFP. When you're p-setting, the phrase inevitably means "I Hate This F***ing Place". When you're playing in the snow during our relaxing, amazing January term, it's "I Have Truly Found Paradise". Our class rings are also famous- rumored to be the most recognized ring besides the Super Bowl ring and the West Point ring

In high school, you breezed through classes without cracking a book. When you graduated, all you could think about was the amazing summer you would have, free of all obligations. Then, when you got here, you discovered that you could continue that amazing summer. When midterm grades came out, you found that you were pretty close to failing your classes. Look, I know that your first semester at MIT is pass/no-record, meaning that all you need is a C-minus. But this is the time when you set your study habits so that you can get good grades the next semester. Get your act together starting from the day classes start. You don't need to study for hours at a time. Just spend a little time everyday trying out a few problems of that p-set, and by next Thursday, you'll be happy to see that you don't have the mounds of homework that your roommate has because she procrastinated until the last minute. But more importantly, don't forget to chill a little. College is a huge part of your life, yes, but that one B isn't going to ruin your life forever.

Everybody at this school is smarter than you in some way or form. Don't be caught up in your own arrogance because you were top at your own school. Be humble, help others when you can, and they will help you when they can. MIT has a spirit of giving, and so don't be afraid to be seen as the dumb one - someone will gladly help you if you ask for it. Remember that you're not stupid, even when the p-sets seem unbearably difficult. You are at MIT for a reason, and you'll do well.

Olivia

The students at MIT are for the most part the same as students anywhere else in the country; after all we are still just peop...

The students at MIT are for the most part the same as students anywhere else in the country; after all we are still just people.

Mainly, I would tell myself to relax. As a high school senior, I was so nervous that I wouldn't be able to make any friends, or that I wouldn't fit in, but I discovered that at college there are so many types of people that even if you don't exactly mesh with the people you meet first, doesn't mean that you won't find anyone that you do mesh with. One of the best pieces of advice that I would give my past self is to not to be afraid to get involved with clubs and activities. If you find something that you really want to do, then chances are doing it will not only help you to enjoy yourself and relax, but also will naturally lead to you meeting some really cool people.

The most frutstrating thing about MIT would have to be the amount of work that we are given. I absolutely hate having to research and do problems at all hours of the night just in order to keep up with my classes.

Karis

I was homeschooled all throughout high school. When it came time to apply to colleges, the only thing I knew was that I wanted to go to school out of state. When I learned of my acceptance to Massachusetts Institute of Technology, I was ecstatic! My dad and I packed up the car and made a fourteen hour drive so I could visit MIT. I fell in love with the campus and the community and decided that I was going to attend school there. The summer of my senior year I had my first job. I saved money for books and food but I never took into account that I would be away from home for three months at a time, so once I had saved enough money I spent the rest. Now I realize that I should have saved more money for airfare so that I could visit home more often. I would tell myself to take into account that I'm not entirely independent, and that I still need the continuous support and occasional presence of my family.

The nerdy things that students do and the prestigious awards the professors have earned (e.g. Nobel Prize)

The most frustrating thing about MIT is the amount of financial aid given to middle class students. Also, the workload is very demanding so students are very often stressed out.

Dear Me, I know you. You almost never fully trust anyone else, and are therefore rarely dissappointed when people let you down. Infact, the only person you ever put faith in is yourself. You've told yourself that it's just self preservation, and that building yourself up for others just so you can shatter and break every single time is impracticle. In college, you will find situations in which everything is all on you, and you will fail. Miserable, crushing failure. These will be the worst, since you are the last person you have fully trusted. Without a doubt, this will happen. So, you can't live your life not trusting yourself. Plain and simple. Similarly, you are not fully living you life if you never put faith in anyone else. You are cheating yourself of making connections that could prove to be the best relationship you've ever experienced.. So put faith in others. Get excited about people. Always tell others how much you value their friendship. Sometimes, these sentiments will not be returned, but that's what makes life so beautiful. It's a spectrum of both vibrant and dull. Enjoy every bit of it. Love, Me

I knew it was going to be academically rigorous, that was a no-brainer. But I am still learning the importance about not letting academics take over your life. In freshman year, the course load was lighter and I was able to have a varied social life. However, first semester sophomore year I retreated to skipping weekend parties just to make more time to study. Again, I'm still figuring out the balance and I'm trying harder to prioritize friends over problemsets.

Anyone who wants school spirit with regards to sports teams will be frustrated here. We don't have the big weekend football games and most kids at this school couldn't care less. Also, anyone who is extremely intolerant of the bizarre and alternate ways of living. Half of MIT's campus is comprised of kids who could have been called "freaks" in high school. But that's the beauty of MIT. At a school this academically demanding, they don't worry about struggling to fit in. It's definitely opened by eyes.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.