Cambridge, MA
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Diyang

It's 3 AM on my dormitory hall and hang-out time has just gotten more interesting. A few people are filing into the lounge, taking a break from work, but that's enough to veer conversation to new topics. A couple of minutes later, an email advertising birthday cake for a neighbor is sent out. In high school, the socializing that was thought of as "cool" and was possible in my limited free time had seemed contrived and tiresome. Living 24/7 in college is a whole other beast. Things are different when you are responsible for your time, when there are similar people all around. You need a balance: disciplined in order to get everything done, but flexible in order to not miss anything you'll regret. I wish that my high school self had anticipated more than just classes and professors; I would advise myself to think about time outside of classes, including the downtime I spend living amongst other students. That's the stuff that slips an excited student's mind. While college life is always a surprise, I would've wanted to be readier to deal with the surprises in time management thrown my way.

Joseph

First off, practice piano more. You won't get as much time at MIT to practice, and the pianos in Next House are out of tune. Secondly, and more importantly, take more time to go out with friends and spend time with them. You'll find new friends, obviously, but do not forget the ones you already have. Knowledge and accomplishments will fade eventually, but your friends are a true asset. Thirdly, go look up which astronaut was buried at West Point and add a little bit more on constellations and asterisms to the competition binder for Astro. Fourthly, and sadly, start your breakaway earlier. She just needs time, so give her the summer instead of drawing things out. Fifthly, be nicer to your parents. They really will miss you, even if their way of showing it will be to call at some rather unfortunate times. Sixthly, if that's even a word, watch Ghost in the Shell now so that you don't waste time on it during semester. Eighthly, just relax. College is great, once you get used to it, and everything works out. The people, the money, the studies - you'll love it. See you later.

People who aren't self-motivated or get discouraged easily - MIT's reputation is not without reason. People who are not independent will not be able to fully utilize the vast resources of MIT, and will quickly get left behind by those that are. People who do not enjoy math, science, and problem-solving, as that is the entire focus of MIT. Also, people who like to eat a lot may not want to come, because MIT doesn't have any meal plans and doesn't have a very good food system.

Sheila

MIT is the best and foremost an engineering school in the world. In this place, you can be your geeky self and anything and people still accept you for who you are. Academics are very important, but having fun also counts as well! We play and work hard like no other schools. I also like how MIT is committed to addressing the world's most pressing issues in every aspects, even beyond the engineering and hard sciences (we even do have a strongly committed public service department!)

Dear Sheila the High Schooler, You've worked hard to suceed in high school and got accepted into MIT early action. Congrats! But as you go through college, time management is so important and is every new MIT's student's number one problem. Realize that there is more to life than just academics. I regret that I did not do more during my first semester because I was so focused on my classes, but please don't neglect your social life so much. You need to balance out between studying/working and having fun/relaxing. I could have obtained a research position with a professor researching environmental economics, joined few more interesting clubs, or gone to few more parties with more new friends. Also, please learn to cook few more new dishes as we all have to cook and feed ourselves here! (but don't worry, we have fully equipped and spacious kitchen). Mark my words, you will become a successful young lady who will eventually achieve her full potential at MIT and beyond. Love, Sheila as MIT freshman PS. Keep your eye on that boy! ;)

The best thing about my school is how so much opportunties for what a student can do here is abound and plentiful. You are most likely to regret for the things you didn't do rather than regretting what you have done here at MIT.

Luwen

Try to explore all the possible career opportunities that interest you and take advantage of the alumni network by talking to as many alumni as possible. They are very helpful in terms of giving advice, pointing you to other helpful people, and finding a job or internship. Also, know that college is as competitive as you make it, and although your GPA does count for jobs and internships, no one cares about which class you take. So, if there is an easier version of a subject, it's usually best to take the easier version instead of struggling through the infamously hard class. Lastly, view it as a learning process in which you will make mistakes. Learn from those mistakes and ask how you can improve, whether this is through social interaction or time management. Learn by watching others who are skilled at social interaction. Work expands to fill your available time.

Jess

I would have advised my high school self to explore a wider variety of subjects before entering college. I changed my major during my first semester of college from biology to electrical engineering and computer science because I attended a free, extracurricular lecture about solar electric vehicles on a whim. That got me interested in EECS; then taking the first EECS class got me hooked. Now, I only wish I had realized my true passion earlier and programmed more in high school, which would have given me an edge once I entered college. However, regardless of having previous experience, I know I love the subject. This leads me to my second piece of advice to myself: don't be afraid to make big changes in your life. I was definitely apprehensive about leaving behind biology, a subject I was familiar with, to basically start in a new subject from scratch; and the first EECS class I took was definitely rough; but I'm on my feet now and so thankful I made the plunge. In the future, I may work in bioeletrical engineering, which would combine both my interests. Paths in life sometimes split, and sometimes converge.

Cydnie

The culture here is very unique. As well as the collaborative and friendsly environment.

The best way to find the college that is best for you is to visit or talk to current students. The more you know about the place, teh easier it will be to decide if it's a good fit for you.

Arkady

My classmates are ingenuitive, with a strong desire to learn and succeed, and are known for their interesting outlooks on lif...

My classmates are ingenuitive, with a strong desire to learn and succeed, and are known for their interesting outlooks on life.

This school has a great engineering program, with lots of emphasis on hands-on learning. In addition, the school is known for the random, intersting personalities of its students.

Go with your heart, and you will be at a place that makes you happy. One can do well at any academic institution if they put the work into it; it is important to be in a place that you feel you fit well into.

Katie

MIT is a face-paced, highly stressful place where everyone is always busy but full of energy and eager to collaborate with others.

Visit campuses, stay overnight with students, talk to coaches and professors, take a tour. Make sure to choose a college that has several majors you might be interested, in case you change your mind about what you want to do. It's okay to have location be a significant factor in choosing a college because you want to be in a place that you'll enjoy.

I brag about all the amazing opportunities that are offered at my school, from varsity and intramural sports to clubs to greek life to study abroad to internship and career opportunities.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.