Massachusetts Institute of Technology Top Questions

Aside from its spectacular location (a fifteen minute walk from the heart of Boston), my friends are most amazed by some of the work my professors have done (my chemistry professor won a Nobel Prize in 2005 for his work on a process called olefin metathesis, which he explained in class). I like to talk about all the ways I will be exposed to cutting edge research and even help to author academic papers at a relatively young age. It's all very exciting, really.

Research, the Boston/Cambridge area, intelligent professors and classmates, challenging classes, unique campus experience (hacking, etc.)

The hacks. Go check them out online. Lots of crazy things done to the dome just for fun. Also the intensity of everything you learn- it goes faster at MIT and more in depth, so you get so much more out of all the time you spend doing classwork.

Karis

The nerdy things that students do and the prestigious awards the professors have earned (e.g. Nobel Prize)

I brag about all the amazing opportunities that are offered at my school, from varsity and intramural sports to clubs to greek life to study abroad to internship and career opportunities.

I brag about my friends at school and all the things we do outside of class. We have many cultural events and academic events as well. There are a lot of things that I probably wouldn't be able to do if I didn't go to MIT. We have many resources to put on good events to share different cultures. I also brag about our music program. We've had so many great guest jazz artists, when I tell my friends, they forget I go to MIT.

Research opportunities and recreational/sports opportunities like pistol, sailing, glassblowing.

The breadth of opportunities offered to us after graduation regardless of prior job.

Tess

The level of responsibility that the faculty and staff give to the students. They treat us like adults and it makes us want to return the favor.

There are so many opportunities available to MIT students. My classes have offered me the tools, knowledge, and confidence to go out in the world and apply my skills to better the lives of others. MIT has taught me that there is never a limit to the goals and achievements once can make.