Massachusetts Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Massachusetts Institute of Technology

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

There are many stereotypes associated with people at MIT. Some of which I have found to be accurate in general and others that aren't. The stereotype that everyone who comes here is geeks, is far from the truth. Geeks walk around with pocket protectors staring at computer parts and being awkward all of the time, at least from my understanding. I have yet to see anyone like that. MIT is home to many different personalities and there is somewhere for everyone to fit in. We have frats, sororities, independent living groups, cultural houses and regular dorms. Another stereotype is that everyone here is obsessed with computers. Although there are plenty of people who are interested in computers and in fact Electrical Engineering/ Computer Science (aka Course 6)is very popular, people major in a variety of other subjects. I am majoring in biological engineering. The stereotype that everyone is Asian at MIT is not true. MIT does have a diverse campus and you are sure to have friends of many different races and ethnicities. One stereotype I have found to be true is that people at MIT are very smart. While people have their weaknesses and few are good at everything, MIT is a place where you truly recognize the potential of the human brain including your own.

MIT students don't step outside of their rooms/caves to do anything more than remind themselves that the sun does exists and that, therefore, the equations they are working on are accurate. Students are stereotyped as antisocial, hermetic creatures with weird laughs and far-fetched ideas who all have pocket protectors and carry around TI-89s. They have not time to step outside of the MIT bubble and know whether Bush is still president or if Osama has been caught. Extracurriculars may often be just that, extra, because all MIT students do is work, work, work, on p-sets.

People think we are all super smart geniuses who wear thick glasses and pocket protectors and have no social skills to speak of. We scribble calculations on any scrap of paper we can find and lock ourselves in our room, emerging only to turn in our homework. Of course, in the movies, we end up saving the world anyway :)

There are too many to count. We're also supposed to be ridiculously smart. We're also supposed to be total nerds. People like to say that MIT students aren't attractive, don't get out much, don't dress well, and are constantly stressed. Also we're "eccentric".

Stereotypical MIT students are pretty nerdy; they do things most people would consider weird, but other MIT students find quite entertaining. Hackers I think provide a pretty accurate description of the typical MIT student.

The stereotypes about MIT are that it is an extremely selective school and that it is the best for engineering. The stereotypes about its students are that we are all reclusive nerds that are only interested in school.

MIT students are said to be nerdy, mostly male, socially inept, computer-obsessed, and smart. MIT as a school is said to be very hard, prestigious, and innovative with an ugly campus and a very strong community.

There are some pretty common stereotypes about MIT students that portray us as the socially awkward, myopic, mathematical geniuses bent on world domination (Well, maybe not all of those things).

That we're all anti-social nerds with no fashion sense or conversational skills. Crazy kids who explode stuff, design new chemicals and will drop out to start a company.

We're boring, nerdy people. We hug our calculators more than we talk to people. We don't have any atheletes because we spend all our time studying.