Massachusetts Institute of Technology Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Massachusetts Institute of Technology

jack

I transferred from National Taiwan University. I would say that the biggest difference is not the class, but the students. I met so many genius here. The most important property of Massachusetts Institute of Technology are its intelligent students.

Ann

MIT is an awesome place!

Gabriel

a great student ,and i hope i can get in

Erica

There are great professors and great TAs who are always willing to help, and will respond to your emails very promptly. Facilities are great, especially the athletic facilities. The people of course are the best part -- intellectually-minded students who are passionate about what they do.

Michelle

MIT is the best school in the world. There are so many opportunities and resources to find internships, jobs, and research. I am constantly surrounded by some of the most intelligent and motivated people. It is very easy to follow your passion here, as there always be something related to your interests. I would not trade this school for anything else.

Sina

Its vey nive . I cnnjsjbfbxis dhe d h e dje. Dhe. Suse eisiwge d susbevtww dhebeiqjsv euwbeve shenevehqnwveeyebe. Eehene eu eehe ehe eehe eh er je eehbe rhe d ehe eheheve she eehenevrhwe dhenevehge ehebevew ehe e eheveehue d ejegev ehene eue eeuehee eje

Kyra

I really love MIT. At first, I didn't know if I would fit in because I didn't think I was up to the same quality of students here, but I was completely wrong. Everyone is very supportive and willing to help. Creativity is encouraged and the extracurriculars are so diverse that you are bound to find at least one club you like. The professors are excellent and the classes are engaging. I wouldn't ever consider changing universities. Now that I am actually in my major, I have even more support around me, especially from the faculty, who really care for our success. I will say that administration leaves a lot to be desired. They make decisions that are harmful to the culture of the campus without much reason or consultation. They are not as responsive to student needs or desires as they should be.

Makita

MIT is worth the cost for STEM students. The high standards for acceptance mean that most people actually care about academics. You can get back from a class about basic chemistry and run into an upperclassman and have an hour conversation about how computer processors work and how all modern OS types have major security flaws then discuss a solution before starting your PSET from that class.

M

A good school. I'm lucky to be here and MIT is lucky to have me.

Student community is legendary! Living here among other the MIT undergrads is an amazing experience in and of itself. For what is probably the first time in your life, everyone around you is either as smart as or smarter than you are. It is truly remarkable. Besides the fact that at long last, people find math jokes funny, you’ll be enriched by the variety of experiences that everyone has to offer. I found out two weeks ago that a friend living a floor above me is a National Spelling Bee champion and also won Teen Jeopardy. Many of you are known as “the smart kid” in your high school. At MIT, that changes in a good way. Because being smart is one trait everyone has in common, people will get to know you for your other traits and those things that make you unique and awesome.

Eileen

MIT is one of the best schools in the nation. All the professors truly care about each and every student. Additionally, there are always opportunities to grow as a student. The connections made here last a lifetime. I can't imagine going to another school.

Junyu

Overall, MIT is the kind of school where you wake up at every morning and feel excited about your college choices. As per its reputation, MIT does have stellar academics. The professors and teaching assistants teach extremely comprehensive curricula and fill their lectures with demonstrations and real-life examples to keep the material pertinent and interesting. The student are very academically focused and value their classes, leading to very interesting conversations. However, MIT is not a one trick pony, where all its students study and live in a bubble. For one, many of the students conduct research at labs and thus stay current. One of the main reasons I chose MIT was because it offered research opportunities through the school year (as opposed to schools where research is mainly offered during the summer, making projects difficult to finish), and I am very interested in chemistry research. From my experiences and those of peers, it is decently easy to find professors who are willing to mentor and take on students in their labs. Unlike large state universities where it is hard to find opportunities as a freshman or sophomore, many professors are willing to take on younger students even if those students do not have a slew of published papers and years of work experience behind them. This is extremely beneficial, since otherwise it would be difficult to begin researching. Of course, the process varies; as for me, I sent an email with my resume and met up with a professor before interning in his lab. Additionally, it is possible get direct funding from the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program, and so get paid for your hours. But in terms of academically-pure extracurriculars (for the most part), there are a lot of activities, ranging from the arts to sports to theater. The good thing about going to a school not famous for its athletics is that it is extremely easy to try out new sports and get involved on teams, even if you are a complete novice. A lot of the teams are willing to teach you and guide you along instead of requiring you to enter as an expert. Some of my friends, who have no dancing experience, participate in Dance Troupe or the Ballroom Dance Team. I've never shot anything other than a water gun before, but now I shoot with the archery club. That is not to say that these clubs are terrible at what they do; it's just that they spend a lot effort on recruiting and training interested students and end up with results to show for it. Funding is also decently accessible if you want to start your own group or organization. Student life, for the most part, also goes smoothly. Each of the dorms vary in culture and amenities (some dorms have subpar bathrooms or a lack of heating), so the exact experience varies. I picked a dorm with great amenities and without a strong line of tradition (since it started accepting students only a few years ago), so my experience has been that the dorms are clean, spacious studying environments with tight-knit and friendly floor interactions. The dining halls are all right. Some dorms come with one, and some don't ("cook-for-yourself" communities). The dining halls have a lot of variety and cycle through different types of cuisine daily, so you don't get sick of the food very quickly (I got sick of the general dining hall taste after 4 months, but it was not an extreme disgust, and I am on the full meal plan so I eat there every day). That being said, while most of the dining halls are wonderful, there have been incidents of food poisoning, and with the large volume of food that is being churned out every day, there are inevitably strange-tasting dishes. Students in general are willing to collaborate. Large "p-set parties" (problem set parties) of upwards of ten people are common especially during the day before the homework deadlines. Even if not everyone is extremely friendly, they will help you if you ask specific questions and have clearly already attempted the problem. In regards to students, there is a strong online community, as huge chunks of the school get together for school pages such as "MIT Confessions" or "MIT Memes". Boston itself is also a bustling location, being a tourist city and so close to the beach. There is a lot to see and do, in terms of shopping, nightlife, Harvard, and water sports, although I personally find the food somewhat lacking. But then again, I come from Southern California, where eating is a big deal, so I am definitely biased. Surprisingly, MIT has a strong reputation for partying among the college students. There are sometimes party on weekdays, and many of the weekends, and almost all of the well-frequented ones involve some sort of alcohol. Yes, people drink underage, but there are non-alcoholic gatherings and it is easy to avoid drinking if you want to. I for one have not witnessed anyone actually drinking or consumed alcohol myself. On that note, many of the students are in fraternities and sororities, but it is perfectly acceptable to not partake in one. As I missed sorority recruitment, I cannot testify to the Greek experience other than that these organizations do not involve extreme hazing rituals or espouse unhealthy ideas. Sororities in particular function as close communities of emotional support and friends, and so I plan to join one next year. The biggest downsides to MIT is the stress. It's not like we spend more time in a classroom than most college students, but the classes can go very quickly through their curricula and cover a lot of difficult topics. (For instance, freshman mechanics goes through a chapter every week and a half, and the material is difficult and complex.) Topped with weekly problem sets (which can take from a few hours to the better part of a day to complete), finishing all the work without losing sleep is very difficult some weeks. I sometimes skip activities to get all of it done. Fortunately, most students only take four to six classes. Because so many of the students are insanely intelligent, grasping difficult concepts and receiving great offers at job fairs, people are prone to getting stressed over their own prospects. Although it might be too early to say, I wholeheartedly support my past decision to attend MIT. I looked for an intellectually stimulating school with kindred spirits, and I found it. There is an acronym that truly represents MIT: "IHTFP". As the years proceed, its meaning oscillates between "I have truly found paradise", and "I hate this freaking place". Despite the stress behind schoolwork and balancing other activities, at the end of the day, MIT remains a close knit community that never fails to excite.

April

MIT lives up to its reputation in terms of the plethora of research/creative opportunities available to its students. Campus culture is diverse, especially across different living communities. Academics can be overwhelming, but there are many extracurricular student activities to balance out the work load.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology lives up to its reputation of high academics and a strong emphasis on the STEM fields, but it also has a lovely spacious campus with lots of greenery to picnic on or play games. The campus also has a well-built arts program with its own theatres where it holds its own performances.

Aaditya

I love it! I really love the supportive community of students and faculty. Although the academics are though, there's nothing we can't get through together. By pushing us to our limits, MIT brings out the best in us, fostering creative thought, research and innvoation.

Kayleigh

MIT is a great school that will get you wherever you want to go in the STEM field. If you're genuinely interested in science/technology/engineering stuff--and also willing to put forth the effort--MIT would be a great place for you! Yes, it's definitely rigorous academically, but it's what binds the students together, and it's worth it. :)

Cecile

I love the people and creative atmosphere! Schedules are tight with everything you end up wanting to do, and some days are tough, but there's always someone around to help you. My only real complain is the fact that the weather is terrible in Cambridge (I am a native Texan)!

It's a great school! It's a lot of hard work, but there are so many opportunities for students to take advantage of (perhaps too many to fit into 4 years). The one thing that I wish the school did more of was dedicate their funds to improving student life instead of building the next new building on campus. Also, there should be more representation for students on campus, for instance, the senior haus incident. These are little things, however. Overall every single day I appreciate the fact that I have the privilege of getting an education from MIT. I am sure that it will set me up for success in my career; it already has shown its benefits as far as internships go! Overall, I'm proud to say that I got to MIT!

Christopher

Have you ever wanted to build anything? A bike? A birdhouse? How about an electric car? MIT is full of intellectual people who are involved in just about anything science. The professors are constantly open to all students. The facilities are top notch with bleeding edge technology (holograms, lasers, humanoid robots oh my!). Off campus housing may be a drag and dining food leaves one wanting, but there is no point in living off campus in a city where studio apartments are above most people's wages and the kitchens they provide in the dorms are too good to ignore. This is all just stuff on the surface though. It is no lie, this school is not for everyone. It is hard. People sometimes feel overburdened from the work and feel they cannot hack it. More than once I have felt the same. What makes this school top notch is that they understand the toll one may pay for high education and has some of the best student social services in the nation. They do not just care of intellectual achievement, they care about their students. I have been helped time and time again by the people here and the general environment given by administration, professors, and students is the healthiest I have experienced. The labs, the classes, those are all the surface things that people enjoy from their schools. It is when you know the school is on your side that you know the school you attend is over the top.

Ekramy

What's the best thing about MIT? My favorite thing about MIT is that students enjoy learning and work hard. Name one thing you'd change. One of the downsides is that professors are generally much more focused on research than teaching. But if you're an independent learner you can get what you need from books, TAs, and other students. Is your school too large, too small, or just right? I think MIT is a good size-- I don't have trouble getting into the classes I want, but it's big enough that there are enough academic and social opportunities. How do people react when you tell them you go to MIT? Actually, people usually freak out, say that it must be super-hard. Where do you spend most of your time on campus? During the day, I split my time between class and lab. College town, or "what college town?" Boston is right across the river from MIT (10 minute walk) and many students hang out there or in Cambridge (more college-town) on the weekends. Boston is a great place to be a college student: lots of other colleges, restaurants, night life, great public transportation (don't bring your car here!). What's your opinion of MIT's administration? I don't think I have any strong feelings about MIT's administration. Some aspects of student life are ignored here-- particuarly dining. The dining halls are only open for dinner, and only 5 days a week, and they're expensive. I don't think any students are satisfied with the dining opportunities. But there are parts of the administration that are very supportive. MIT Medical offers great physical and mental care for all students, and Student Support Services vouches for students who have illness or personal emergencies that affect their coursework. What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? Probably when an MIT student wore a tshirt with a circuit on it into Logan airport, and the administration told the media her behavior was reckless-- before the details of the story were confirmed. Is there a lot of school pride? There's definitely school pride here. Students feel like their in the most challenging technical environment in the world. Is there anything unusual about MIT? Lots of things are unusual about MIT-- the architecture of the buildings on campus, the required hard-core science classes for all students, the fact that (almost) everyone here is a scientist or engineer. What's one experience you'll always remember? What are the most frequent student complaints? Students here love to complain about their workloads. A typical MIT student conversation goes something like this: student 1- "I have 2 psets (problem sets) and an exam tomorrow" student 2- "well I have 3 psets and a paper for tomorrow" student 3- "I'm even more hosed, I have 3 psets and a paper and 2 exams next week" I don't particularly think it's healthy but that's the culturt

Makita

It used to be the best school for Engineering. It keeps getting worse because the administration is ignoring the students. The culture at MIT is a big part of what makes it and the people that live here the best, but the administration is doing its best to rid MIT of a culture that it says is hurting MIT based on surveys whose results have been twisted to the preferences of the administration. My overall rating of this school would be 5 stars if the administration actually listened to the students. https://thetech.com/2019/02/28/history-new-vassar-design The tech and the MIT student blogs are the best ways (except actually visiting and talking to current students) to find out if MIT is still the school for you.

William

Its pretty swag

Josephine

MIT is a great school with a diverse culture, but we're all brought together by a common passion for learning. Though there are many different niches, I've never felt alienated with any group, which may come as a surprise to some. In general, MIT students and administration can have differing opinions, but the freedom given to the students allows the campus culture to really come directly from the student body.

My

The university and facilities look great! The professors seem very engaged, and I think it's would be wonderful to start here!

Babatunde

It is one of the greatest university in the world especially for engineering skills, I'd recommend it to people who have interest in attending colleges. The college have variety of sobriety a student can join, it offers opportunities and practical knowledge. Recreation and sports are essential so is education at Massachusetts institute of technology.

Jason

I absolutely love it here and I would not go to school anywhere else in the world. The professors are super helpful and practically all of them are famous in their field of study. Every conversation seems to be intellectually charged and I have an infinite number of opportunities to learn.

Xue

MIT is a great school, it has an excellent Aerospace Program that is simply to die for. Being a sophomore, I can safely say that the school is the dream of any engineers.