Spruce Pine, NC
Mayland Community College

1 Rating

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mayland Community College

Robert

Mayland is a Community College, however is far from any ordinary Community College. Mayland has been ranked Number one Community College in NC. Mayland has also been ranked in the top ten in the Nation among other Community Colleges. Mayland also has one of the best Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering programs around. Mayland is not just affordable but it is worth every penny. Mayland community College is also Sacs certified as well.

Tria

Mayland Community College teaches its students technical skills that students can than take on to a four year University and apply. Students at Mayland get an almost one on one contact with teachers since the classes are so small. It is also a school where one is allowed to earn credits that were not earned while in High School.

If I were still a senior in high school, the advice I would offer myself would be, to talk to my guidence counselors and get as much information I could on colleges and I would apply to as many colleges as I could. I would instead of taking classes that really didn't matter, I would have spoken to teachers and counselors about the appropriate classes that would be required college. I would have gone to visit colleges in the area, to see what they were like, I would have spoken to counselors at local colleges and asked what classes I should be taking while still in high school. I would request as much information from local colleges and decide from there what the best school would be for me to go. If I did have to go back, I would have started looking at colleges while still in middle school, or in my freshman year. The advice I would give myself would be to apply to as many colleges and get as much information from teachers and guidence counselors as I could, and to ask as many questions as I could, and to be ready for the next step.

Someone who is looking for a career in either the technical field or just wanting to learn a new skill.

Brandy

Mayland Community College is a small school located in the mountains of western North Carolina. The staff, including the teachers are wonderful and truly care about seeing their students succeed, and they will often go out of their way to help their students. There are many programs available at MCC. The Nursing program is probably the most popular program right now, but all degree programs are great. We have a wonderful counseling center where students can come for help with any problem, from school, work, or home life. They even assist students with finding employment.

When I was sixteen years old, I dropped out of school and earned my GED. Eleven years later, at the age of twenty-seven, a single mother with a low-paying, dead-end job, I knew that I had to do something different. I wanted to be able to give my children a good life, a good future. I wanted those things for myself as well. I had no idea at sixteen years old how difficult life would be without an education. So many oppertunities were out of my reach because I did not have the education or the skills that the "good" jobs required. I did not know that I would be limited to low-paying, no benefits jobs. I did not know the value of earning a quality education. If I could go back to that sixteen year old girl, I would tell her that going to college and earning a degree is priceless. Not only are you growing professionally which will open you up to numerous possibilities, but your self-esteem improves, your feelings of worth improves, and your quality of life is just better. I would tell her she can do it, and she deserves it.

I think the best thing about Mayland Community College is the amount of support and encouragement students receive from not only each other but all of the staff as well. It is easy to form close relationships and have added support because of the small size of the school. Having this support brings not only academic and professional growth, but personal growth as well.

Erika

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have stressed that senioritis is simply mind over matter. It is not a real illness and can be cured by just focusing. Doing the best you can on all of your schoolwork is important not only for the grades but also for giving you the ability to know what the college professors are talking about. College success is all about the drive and motivation you have inside yourself. You have to want to succeed to succeed. I would also tell myself that community college is great but sometimes the opportunities that universities are able to offer are greater. College life is important to experience because it does get you ready for adulthood and the career that you choose to pursue.

I consider the helpfulness of the teachers to be the best thing because without the teachers the school would be nothing. The teachers at Mayland go the distance to help students succeed. They stay after hours, email/call from home, and look for every possible solution to help students that they can. Mayland is a smaller college; therefore, it is easier for teachers to be so helpful. However, the learning experience that Mayland provides is definitely up to par.

I wish I would have known that Mayland is a lot like high school. It is a wonderful school; however, I do not feel like I am in college. I guess it is more because at Mayland the teachers do care and make sure you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. Mayland is great but sometimes I wish I was already at a university exploring my independence.

Mayland Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.