Crystal Lake, IL
McHenry County College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend McHenry County College

laura

If I was able to go back in time to just over a year ago I would tell my past self to do a lot of things differently. First of all I would tell myself to apply to all the colleges that I desperatly wanted to get into and pick the one that I wanted to go to. No matter the cost. Just do the extra work and apply for scholarship because in the long run I would have been happier with that decision and being at a four year university. I would have also told myself to take the tests and quizes more seriously. In high school there was so much graded homework and other assignments. Now the only thing that the teachers grade are tests and the occasional quizes. Not being the best test taker I wish that I would have told myself this and had time to practice my skills earlier. Maybe I could have found a way to overcome my test anxiety. In the end I am glad how things turned out because I appreciate my education and I know I will get to a four year university soon enough.

The most frustrating thing about my school would have to be the advisors. These are the people that are suppose to be making your journey through community college smooth and be able to help students with their first years of college. I am finding that I am better of trying to find an answer on my own because for the most part they either do not have an answer, or worst yet just tell you the wrong one.

Kelly

If I could go back and talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would first tell her not to go to college yet. I had gone with washy intentions, and after my parents left me and the store I worked at closed down, I sank into a depression and failed out. I would explain to myself how important credit is, and how long it can blemish your ability and cost to make a loan. I would try and talk myself into getting help for my depression sooner than I did. Since I'm time traveling, I'd then make a quick stop at 26 year-old-me. I'd visit myself while I was sitting at my computer late one night, deciding if I would be able to squeek by in my attempt to try going back to college. I'd tell myself not to be scared, and that I would not just squeek by, but rather excel with straight A's, and I would enjoy every day I had class. I would tell myself about how good it feels to walk through the hallways with a goal and intention.

I think the worst thing about this school is the inconsistency of the staff. I don't mean the teachers, as they've been wonderful, but rather the administration. Many of them are very polite and competent, but I've also encountered a higher-than-expected number of staff members who either gave me wrong information or were a little snotty in their attitude. The good ones make up for the bad ones, though, so don't let that discourage you.

I think almost any kind of person should attend this school. There's people of all ages and backgrounds, each with different goals. There's lots of people fresh out of high school, saving money while completing general eds while deciding which 4 year school to transfer to. There's people who just enjoy learning. And there's people like me, returning to school after a decade or so to make a better life for themselves.

MCC is known for Associate degrees and assisting people to get into larger colleges. They help a lot to get people into larger colleges to get bachelor and master degrees, things of that nature.

Assuming that I could go back in time to speak with myself as a high school senior I would have to tell myself not to put off getting financial help. I was told when entering MCC that holding off on loans and things of that nature was a good idea but now I'm starting to think that maybe I should have just started off getting government help. Another thing that I would tell myself would have to be that college really is not the same as high school. Its not overly harder but it is different in the way that everything operates. I was told before entering that college would be a lot more relaxed and now I know why. People are not more comfortable with the fact that they are in fact adults now, they just do not care enough to hound after anyone about work that needs to be done. College life is very different as well, being an adult wont really change how people think just what they say to explain their actions. Going to MCC is not too big a change, going to a larger place would be better, like a university.

Before going to MCC I would have liked to know some things about what would be expected. I was a little surprised by the work load being what it was and the time needed to keep up with all my classes. Even picking my days with care it was a bit of a surprise when I got to my classes and sat in there for hours taking notes then being told that I have hours of homework to do once I get home. After a while it gets better though. College teachers aren't as forgiving as high school teachers.

Mixed variety of students from local high schools and university drop outs.

Mixed variety of students from local high schools and university drop outs.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to go away for college instead of going to the local community college. Community college serves the purpose for people to discover what they want to major in and doesn't provide help to a lot of the more serious majors such as pre-med. I feel that the semester that I had spent at MCC could have been better spent somewhere else, and in turn, I could have been a lot happier if I went away for school.

Any person who knows what they would like to major in or even study.

If I could go back and time and talk to myself as a senior in high school the first thing I would do is slap myself in the head and tell myself to WAKE UP! I would tell myself to not settle for going to a community college when all along I knew that a four year university is what I really wanted. I would remind myself to not to let others have such an influence on my decisions and that I need to to do what is best for me. I'd also advise to apply early, not wait to the last minute and make myself promise to schedule college visits. I would explain to myself how it feels to be left behind at home when all my friends have gone away to their dream schools. I would tell myself that if I didnt take the steps to find the right school for me now I would regret it later and just create more work for myself later on. After lecturing and talking some sense into myself, I would give myself a hug and tell I can do this and I owe it to myself to do this.

The most frustrating thing about my school is how difficult it is to get into the classes you want and need to finish your degree. Often times classes fill up very fast leaving you no other option then chosing a different classes. In other cases, as with the honors classes at my school. There is such low enrollment that the class is dropped. Two honors classes in one semester that I wanted to take were dropped due to low enrollment.

My school is unique compared to other schools because of the diversity within the school. It is interesting to see elderly students amongst students right out of high school. People of different ages and different backgrounds come together at community colleges and it makes the classes fun. It is nice to have people with all different life experiences to share class time with.

The advise I would give myself if I could go back in time is to plan ahead better and save for the future. I would tell myself to go and pick up my books as soon as they were available so that I could get used books at a lower price . I would print off the syllabi for my classes and read them before the first day of class so I know what to expect. Also, I would advise to show up for class on the first day of class because you could miss alot of important information. Basically, be as prepared as possible to make the transition as smooth and stress free as you can, and to be able to help your parents financially as much as possible.

The best thing about my school is the money I am saving by doing a two- year community college first. Also, because it is so close to home, I am able to work as well to help pay for school.

Matthew

I would tell myself to make sure that the program you choose is the one you can see yourself still doing in 20 years. Also make sure you are financially prepared for the move from your parents into your own place or dorm. They financial burden of school can be a make or break deal.

Daniel

incredible and amazing to have this dream to reach for our career.

incredible and amazing to have this dream to reach for our career.

that college is rough but just take pre req classes before you start the college level courses so never give up on it and study so hard that you can have good grades and try to have fun with friends or clubs or anything that you want to do. just keep moving forward no matter what happens.

because its a good thing that we study and learn so much in one class so that we can achieved our goal ot read for our dream career. we can talked to people and study with them but there is so many ways that we can make our college is the best thing to have friends and work hard at college and classes and still have our own passion for our career.

Ben

My classmates vary greatly in age, attitude, and social groups, but most are ther for the common goal of learning.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would not really give myself that much advice. My attitude and focus in high school was in the right place and that was to finish off my time at high school on a good note. I stayed focused on the task at hand while still finding time to balance work, school, and friends. I would however make the suggestion to myself to start taking college credit classes in high school. Taking college classes in high school would have saved me a good amount of money as well as allowed me to finish college a little bit sooner.

The thing that I usually brag about is how low cost my community college is. Most of my friends went away to school and are spending significantly more money than me for an education of equal value.

Kaitlyn

There are many smart people and I was able to make many new friends. Also all the teachers are very nice and intelligent. Being in this school keeps me closer to home and still be able to work.

Friends will come and go, keep your mind on school and get the best grades that you can get. You will go through a lot of difficult times with your family and money situations. But everything will be ok, don't abandon your family because they will always be there for you. Start your college preparation early, and look for many colleges to go to and start to apply for scholarships early. It sounds cliche but doing your homework comes in handy.

The worst thing about the school would be that I get lost very easily. I would get lost easily because there are so many buildings.

McHenry County College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.