Crystal Lake, IL
McHenry County College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend McHenry County College

Nichole

I would describe my classmates as eager, passionate, understanding, and intelligent individuals who have been presented with the chance at higher education, embraced it, and are making the most out of their college experience by studying hard, putting their best efforts forward, and making their time in college both successful and memorable.

As a freshman in college and on my own for the first time, I quickly forgot about my values, commitment to my studies, and the intelligent young woman I had become. Instead, I traded it all for a sorority, frequent parties, and all- night ?cram sessions? during finals. My 3.5 GPA quickly plummeted and I was forced to move back home and start over at a community college. This taught me that college is not everything that is appears to be on TV, movies, or word of mouth from older friends. College is about a deep commitment to education and discovering who you are and who you want to become. I would have advised myself not to lose sight of who I am or my dreams. There will always be parties, tests to be taken, and distractions from studying, but the opportunity to receive a college education happens once in a lifetime and should be top priority. Sure, high school prepared me for the entrance exams and term papers, but it took hitting ?rock bottom? and a fresh start to remind myself not to lose sight of who I am and my dream of becoming a special education teacher.

I do not believe that there is a worst thing to any college or university. As a matter of fact, I believe that the opportunity to attend any college, university, or technical school is a precious gift that should be treated as such. In today?s economy, there are millions of adults who do not have the opportunity to pursue a higher education due to costs. Those that are able receive a rare gift and should cherish every moment of it. Although the tests, costs, and lectures are not easy, the chance at a higher education is worth every minute.

Frank

It is a quiet, quaint community college which allows for a very beneficial beginning to my future schooling and career plans.

They vary from new high school graduates to parents to adults just looking to further their education and build upon their current living status.

Do not procrastinate. Get yourself ahead of the game because you never know what is lying in front of you. Manage your time as wisely as possible and get your priorities in order. Dedicate enough time to school and work but do not allow yourself to stray from the important things in life like family and friends. Your ability to adhere to this advice will allow for greater success during your college years. Do not wait around for others to carry you, start early and be one of the few that are ready for the next stage in life.

Something unique about MCC is that it is very small and comfortable. The classes do not have more than 20 or 30 students, in fact, most of the classes I have been in have less than that. Because of this, professors and students are able to get to know each other which helps with the learning process.

As I sit across from myself as a high school senior, the last year and a half slowly replays in my mind. After gathering my thoughts I begin my advice by saying that college is never going to come to you, you must go to college. I realize now that all this time I was waiting for something to miraculously happen in my life, for an education and career to just pop up. My older brother recently told me that I need to spread my wings, that if I do I have the ability to fly so high and get so far. I would share this with myself as a senior because I needed that inspiration. I needed to hear that in order to get far in life it starts with me and no one is going to lift me off the ground but myself. Knowing all of that in high school would have been the extra push I needed to get motivated and look at college as a stepping stone to great things I know I can accomplish in life.

The best thing about Mchenry County College is the caring staff and also the Sage Learning Center. This is a place where students may go if they are struggling in any class and receive help from tutors. It is free of charge and has been proven to raise grades and the confidence of myself and many students in classes.

Colleen

McHenry County College is a saving grace for me, my family and my dreams.

McHenry County College is a saving grace for me, my family and my dreams.

McHenry County College tuition cost is four times lower then other schools I considered. The lower tuition will allow me to attend and pay as I go , allowing me to obtain at may associates degree with out any debit. The location is also very convienent

Ok! Colleen, I only have a couple of minutes so let me lay it out for you. Either take action now and adress your fears of writting , or wait till your 35 . If you wait till your 35, you will have missed several job and educational opportunites and you will not be the nurse you dreamed of being. It's not worth it to wait. So, I know you are already registered for a full load of classes. Due yourself a favor don't take such a full load . Get rid of chemistry for your first semester to allow yourself more time to work on your writting. Get a tutor! The college your going to attend has a learning center with tutors available at no additional cost to you. What ever it takes work through your writting fears. Don't let it hold you back. GO FOR IT! As a matter of fact anytime you are struggling or need help in a subject reach out and get that help. . The person you hurt most by Lastly there is destined to be other areas of study and life in which you may need guidence.

Melanie

My fellow classmates are from alll sorts of backgrounds bringing a variety of diversity to the school.

I would tell myself that although highschool seems to be easy,college is a lot different and that it would be best to take prep courses in order to better prepare yourself for the transition from highschool to college level courses. Also, take the time to get involved in clubs and organizations because it helps shape you and diversify your college experience. At most importantly, to charish every minute of class time because it is an opportunity that not everyone gets , even if you don't like the subject.

The best thing about my school is what it offers to me personally as a student. Mchenry County College offers diversity in the student body, a more afforable way to get the education I need and I can stay close to home and family. Also MCC encourages students to get involved in community service to better themselves and help others which is how I got started with helping out at "Home of the Sparrow", " Helping Paws", and " Animal House ."

Ninotshka

Having a child my senior year of high school worried me about how I was going to advance to college. I focused more on what I thought was going to be hard and how much of a struggle I was going to go through. I was wrong. If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that life is so much better than I ever expected. College is great and there is so much help. I would tell myself not to worry and to keep following my dreams because although having a baby is a lot of work, it is also the most rewarding gift and going to college is an amazing experience. I would also say college opens up many doors and helps those with kids and offers many different types of courses. Lastly, I would say that everything is possible, to focus on the positives, and to never give up because life is GREAT and I can get through anything.

McHenry County College provides a significant amount of help to distant education students. It supplies those with study guides, clear information about the course, and the professors are reliable to reply back to messages and help if needed. The administration is always helpful and reliable. It must get frustrating to see thousands of students everyday who are trying to get their schedule straightened but those working there try to stay in a good mood and help as much as they can.

Although this is my first year attending McHenry County College, I cannot pinpoint the worst attribute of it. If I had to choose what was wrong about the school I attend, I would probably say the waiting process. Financial Aid going through the system and registering for classes seems like it takes ages but I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way. I cannot blame the school.

Cristina

If I could go back in time to when I was senior I would definately do things a bit different. My advice for myself would be to take more challenging classes. I took two AP classes and I wish I would have taken more, they really prepare you for what to expect in college. I would also try to find better study techniques. Finals and midterms are so important in college where as in High School, they do not have much importance. Finding new ways to remember and store all the information that you learn in college is crucial, especially ones that work for each individual. I think if I would have prepared myself for this, my college transition would have been a bit easier and more smooth.

The classes are small, so you have more one on one time with teachers. The teachers are right there with you and it's easy to get help outside of class.

It's a little like High School, with more freedom. If someone wanted the total "college experience" they should not attend this school.

Olivia

My school is important to our community, it has provided free tuition to all 2009 graduates in the county who meet the minimum requirements of the scholarship, it has allowed hundreds of students who otherwise would not have been able to afford school to go to school for up to two years worth of credit hours.

My classmates are all small town students who want more in life and want to go away to a larger school and see what is out there in the world that we rarely get to see here in our county.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell myself, enjoy life more. College is not as stressfull as everyone makes it out to be. The process of picking a college and what you will do with the rest of your life is not a binding contract and it is open to change, we all change as we go through life. Enjoy the steps you have to go through to get to this point, and learn from them because they will all contribute to who you are in the future.

Lori

I would give myself , two pieces of advice. I would first let myself know that it is very important to get the best grades you can possibly get and to study as hard as you can. I would make sure that I acknowledge that it is important not to take and drop classes, if you are going to take the class finish it with the best grade you can, dropping classes ruins your GPA. The next thing I would tell myself is to take a variety of classes, and if and when you decide that what you started out going to school for is not waht you seem to like, change it. Don't continue on, just because it is what mom or dad wants you too, cause if you don't like it now, you will absolutely hate it when you actually get a job doing whatever that career is. Then you will go back to school late in life to try and do something you really love. Take the time now why you are young and figure out your passion what you really love, and that is what you should be doing as a Career. Do That!

Emma

My school is unique in the sense that it provides students with a sense of comfort. Every student is treated as if they are an adult, but the teachers are understanding with lifes complications that come up. Classes are small classrooms to allow each student in the classroom to gain the best possible experience. The teachers a very trust worthy and are willing to help you further your education.

Looking back at the all the things I stressed and worried about senior year makes me laugh a little at myself. If I was able to go back in time, I would calm myself down by explaining about the upcoming college life. College is hard work, but is very manageable with dedication and focus. What I needed to know at the time was if I worked hard till the end of the year I would be prepared for the work load in college. Like most kids senior year, I slacked towards the end of the school year. When I got to college it was a slap in the face to learn how to manage my time. In high school I would always do things last minute, the night before. To prepare myself for college, I would tell myself to get in the habit of doing my work as it is assigned. Overall I would tell myself not to be afraid, because college is just another step in my life to brighten my future

I tell my friends what I like best about my school is how it is like one big high school. People are always friendly and you know or get to know pretty much everyone who goes there.

McHenry County College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.