McHenry County College

« See more reviews of McHenry County College

Take some time off between high school and college, work a number of different jobs in various fields in order to get a feel for many occupations in order to determine your areas of interest. Search for a number of businesses to see if you might do internships to see what a company looks like from the inside. Think about your personal interests: are you crazy about animals, love learning different languages, is traveling abroad something that you desire? Do research, talk to people in these fields--veterinarians, interpreters, entrepeneurs, and others who are passionate about what they do and see if you have the same kind of passion. If not, keep looking and working in different occupations until something totally mesmerizes you and you KNOW that's what you want to spend your time doing--if not your entire life, at least the immediate future.

If I could go back in time to when I was senior I would definately do things a bit different. My advice for myself would be to take more challenging classes. I took two AP classes and I wish I would have taken more, they really prepare you for what to expect in college. I would also try to find better study techniques. Finals and midterms are so important in college where as in High School, they do not have much importance. Finding new ways to remember and store all the information that you learn in college is crucial, especially ones that work for each individual. I think if I would have prepared myself for this, my college transition would have been a bit easier and more smooth.

The advise I would give myself if I could go back in time is to plan ahead better and save for the future. I would tell myself to go and pick up my books as soon as they were available so that I could get used books at a lower price . I would print off the syllabi for my classes and read them before the first day of class so I know what to expect. Also, I would advise to show up for class on the first day of class because you could miss alot of important information. Basically, be as prepared as possible to make the transition as smooth and stress free as you can, and to be able to help your parents financially as much as possible.

As a senior in high school you are also told repeatedly to never drink and drive, this seminar is repeated thoughout your four years and is over done, however as a senior in high school I was never really taught the other horros of college life. I attended Western Illinois University for the first semester of my freshman year of college and ended up comeing home after the first semester because of being drugged and raped at a party. I just wish that their were a little less emphisis on drunk drving in high school and a little more on protecting yourself from the dangers of college life.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would not really give myself that much advice. My attitude and focus in high school was in the right place and that was to finish off my time at high school on a good note. I stayed focused on the task at hand while still finding time to balance work, school, and friends. I would however make the suggestion to myself to start taking college credit classes in high school. Taking college classes in high school would have saved me a good amount of money as well as allowed me to finish college a little bit sooner.

Do not procrastinate. Get yourself ahead of the game because you never know what is lying in front of you. Manage your time as wisely as possible and get your priorities in order. Dedicate enough time to school and work but do not allow yourself to stray from the important things in life like family and friends. Your ability to adhere to this advice will allow for greater success during your college years. Do not wait around for others to carry you, start early and be one of the few that are ready for the next stage in life.

I would tell myself that although highschool seems to be easy,college is a lot different and that it would be best to take prep courses in order to better prepare yourself for the transition from highschool to college level courses. Also, take the time to get involved in clubs and organizations because it helps shape you and diversify your college experience. At most importantly, to charish every minute of class time because it is an opportunity that not everyone gets , even if you don't like the subject.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to go away for college instead of going to the local community college. Community college serves the purpose for people to discover what they want to major in and doesn't provide help to a lot of the more serious majors such as pre-med. I feel that the semester that I had spent at MCC could have been better spent somewhere else, and in turn, I could have been a lot happier if I went away for school.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell myself, enjoy life more. College is not as stressfull as everyone makes it out to be. The process of picking a college and what you will do with the rest of your life is not a binding contract and it is open to change, we all change as we go through life. Enjoy the steps you have to go through to get to this point, and learn from them because they will all contribute to who you are in the future.

Friends will come and go, keep your mind on school and get the best grades that you can get. You will go through a lot of difficult times with your family and money situations. But everything will be ok, don't abandon your family because they will always be there for you. Start your college preparation early, and look for many colleges to go to and start to apply for scholarships early. It sounds cliche but doing your homework comes in handy.