McKendree University Top Questions

I would tell them to not procrastinate! I applied to schools pretty early on, but I did not decide which one I wanted to attend too until later on my senior year. Also I would tell them that even though community college may not be the "college experience" everyone brags about, it is a good way to save some money for when you are ready to transfer to a bigger university. I went to a community college, and now I am transferring and it saved me a ton of money. I have also changed my major quite a few times so I would tell myself that even though I think I have it all planned out, I may change my mind completely and that is ok as long as I have something else in mind.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to show my parents that I love them unconditionally. I attend a college that is eight hours away from my family. Neither my parents nor myself have the financial means to make the same number of visits home that the average student makes. The biggest lesson that I have learned from this distance was that my parents gave me the world and many skills to navigate life effectively. As a high school senior I often took for granted everything that my parents taught me. They showed me through example how to have a strong work ethic, be kind, and stay close to God. While that is a menial stratch on the surface of the list of things my parents have taught me, those are three traits that have helped me be so successful my first semester of college. If given the chance, I would tell myself to help my parents out around the house more, give more hugs, and tell them just how much I appreciate the effort they put in to raise me.

College is a time to find yourself, develope yourself, and make your mark in life. The minute you step on campus is the time you need to start taking advantage of all the opportunities that your school has to offer. High school friends will be hard to leave, but you need to make new friends as those friends will be your family and friends for the next four years. Don't be afraid to try anything. In fact, try everything even if you don't think you will like it. Learn to speak up, ask questions, and be active in the classroom, socially, and in your extra curricular activities. You will learn just as much outside of the classroom as you do inside the classroom. It is imperative that you are active socially, physcially, and mentally. The next four years you will discover who you are and what you want. The sky is your limit, and you will determine your destiny.

PAtrick

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self I would tell myself to take a deep breath and take good notes. Relaxing and taking a deep breath is something that people often forget or take for granted, and with a deep breath calm and rational thought can take over. It helps relax the brain and will allow you to maximize your opportunities to make friends and succeed in the classroom. Throughout high school taking notes has not been a top priority and moving on to college those become more and more important. The ability to take proper notes doesn't just look good in a notebook , it will help you succeed on assignments, tests, and classes in general. It may seem easy or cool to just sit in class and not do anything, but in 5 years when you are looking to go back to school for your MBA every grade matters. While it may seem far away and feel like there is time to fix the problem and while there is time to make some of those corrections, it is much easier to work hard and succeed from the beginning.

Shae

I am going to begin to advise you, Shae Bullard, by letting you know start searching day one of your senior year of high school by looking at all the options of education. Ask yourself why you want to go to these universities; what is so much better about these than the rest. Since you have school until three o'clock in the afternoon, you have plenty of time to devote to your community. Give your work ability to the elderly who still live in their own house; go to the local nursing home and be kind and give some attention to elderlies there. If you are having a hard time deciding what area you want to have a career in begin contacting local businesses for job shadowing that are related to the field; maybe try a few other careers outside of your interesterested area, because you will never know if you like something better until you view their daily routine. Do research on the side by reading books, articles, or magazine in your interested career. It is always good to ask other people's opinions, but remember to chose the best path for you.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would make sure I mentioned the importance of being who you are and doing exactly what you want to be doing. These two ideas are what truly makes your college experience the best it can be. If I would have followed all my true desires in high school, I would have grown more as an individual. High school comes with a lot of stereotypes and judging by those around you, and once you are able to break away from the need to fit in, life becomes more interesting with all your true passions. I wish I would have realized this at the beginning of senior year because I could have discovered much more of my abilities and passions before making the huge decision of college and majors. Although I did follow my heart, it wasn't until later in the year where I did everything for myself without thinking of what others would think of my choices. This advice to be your true self is the most important thing I would need to know, just as everyone else should.

Jaycee

First of all, your roommate is going to annoy you so make some other friends who will hang out with you. Class is going to be scary but don't worry, none of the other students know what they're doing either. Make sure you do all your projects early and when assigned because if not, you're going to pull your first all nighter the same night of an important presentation. You don't need to get all your stuff at once. Also, by the way, yes you end up getting a roommate. It's a love-hate relationship but you love her more than not so don't get nervous about it. Make sure to pick up some snacks before you move in because the hours to the dining hall are really weird and you end up missing lunch and dinner like four times in the first week at school. Write down the hours because you still end up doing this by the end of your first semester. And most of all, don't be so worried about college. You meet some pretty cool people and learn a lot of interesting things.

Devon

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior again, I would stress the importance of saving money and managing my time better. I would explain how it will be much easier to get through the first year of college without having to work a part time job and a work study job. Social time is important, as is, spending money, and managing those two in addition to completing college level school work could have been planned out a little bit better. I would also stress the importance of applying for scholarships prior to graduating high school to assist in alleviating the financial strain that is felt once enrolled.

marcella

If I could travel back in time and give myself the actual truth about college, I think I would have done a lot of things different. I was expecting that I was going to be stepping into a controlled environment. I did not expect to be stepping into an open range all responsibilities are on you type of environment. Personally I would have told myself that you need to buckle down and be more focused to your school work and listening in class. Throughout my whole life, I knew that I wanted to be a veterinarian because my dream is to be working with animals. So I was taking extra classes such as biology, and anatomy to better my applications for colleges. And help me stick out. I also participated in girl’s soccer for two years, and photographed the team for one year. Now I know what college is really like I am glad I decided not to do any sports because I did not want to distract myself from following my dreams. So at the end of the day by being in college, I learned that I need to take my future in my own hands.

Omar

College is going to be okay. You don’t have to be so firm on yourself to get there. Being in college is not what you suspect it to be. Being in college makes you gain a sense of independence for yourself and will help you be more aware of being on your own like in the real world. You have to be able to manage your time intelligently because, if not, you won’t be able to better prepare yourself for the future. You have a lot of potential, motivation, and determination. You apply yourself very well, you work very hard, and you push yourself to do things beyond what is expected of you. Having these three things in life will get you far, but once you apply yourself to be better, and work a lot harder, you will go a lot further in life. As you go on through senior year, listen carefully and learn from past mistakes you made throughout the last few years. Don’t let anyone tell you “You can’t.” If anyone tells you “You can’t,” prove to them otherwise. You will be successful. Keep being yourself. Good luck throughout your senior year.

mary

Choose wisely Mary. College will be the most important decision of your life and sometimes the first school you want to go to is not always the best decision. You should make choices based on what you are comfortable with. Always remember size does matter, food does matter, grades do matter. It is important that you choose based on location too. Sometimes being too far from home is harder than it might seem. Even if you want to get away. Get good grades, senioritis is not the way to go ...don't give in! Think about the money too. You might get the same exact degree somewhere else for a lot less money. I know fencing is important to you, but if you really want to fence, follow your dreams. Be careful what you wish for. Make sure to pace yourself and keep up the good work. Things might get hazy in between and you might not know what to do. Just relax it will all be okay in the end I promise. Remember not to let your schooling get in the way of your education (Mark Twain). See you in the future, love you! -self

Take it one day at a time and its okay to change your mind on things. Don't get stressed out about the little stuff. Also, always remember that all of this is only for a short time, and it will be worth it in the end. These are also the memories you are going to remember for the rest of your life, so make the most of it. You're only and undergrad for the first time once.

Being a college student, there are three basic things that I would definitely tell myself as a high schooler if I could go back in time. The first, don't give up on anything! If you have the slightest bit of passion for something, persue it! Even if it gets very difficult, don't ever give up. The second, get involved! Being involved with your campus is such a a great way to expand as a person. You meet great people and you can make a difference in the way you view the world. The last, and possibly the most overlooked aspect when dealing with a transition, just be yourself! You can't spend your life dwelling on what others think of you. Being yourself is the best way to find happiness no matter what situation you're being put through in life.

Vincent

Thinking back to my high school senior year, I would give myself plenty of advice in pursuing my college career. First and foremost, I would make sure my financial situation was secure. Today I owe money in the thousands of dollars to my university which is always growing. Because of this, I would look for as many scholarships as possible before attending college to make my education more affordable. I would also pursue a job relating to my major, which is environmental studies with a minor in global studies, before attending college. Attending some sort of internship beforehand would have been nice too. To broaden my college choices, I wish I was more involved in my high school and community along with trying my hardest to get the best grades possible. To wrap up my senior year advice, I would tell myself to get involved more with the school I want to attend to make the transition overall more comfortable.

Hello, Zach! I know this seems strange, but I am you - or you are me. I look at you and see what I was like my senior year. You have so many thoughts about where you want to go to school and what you want to do. You are nervous but excited at the same time. You choose McKendree University because of the campus, the program of study you want to pursue, and also because of the academic scholarships you obtained for your first year. I am so proud of you. As you move onto your freshman year, remember, there are a lot of changes that are coming. There will be noone there to remind you what time you need to get up, what papers you need for a certain class, filling the gas tank, and much more. On the other side of the spectrum, you are free! You can meet new people, find new things to do, explore the campus and the community, and become an adult. Remember, becoming an adult also involves being a good citizen, being responsible, and knowing the difference between right and wrong and when to say no. You will do great! I have faith.

The advie that I would give myself if I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about the transition into college life would be to keep my focus more on my studies, and assignments. When I was in high school, and even now in college I tend to stress, and worry a lot. I would tell myself to not procrastinate on assignments, because that causes you to stress even more. I would also tell myself to be more independent, instead of being so dependent on my parents. Having an idea of what you want to do for your career helps as well, because you can take classes that will transfer to a University that you are interested in. Also being positive, and enjoying every step that you take will make college life more easy going. Those are just a few of the many things I would tell myself.

Bailey

Breathe. You're going to make friends. You'll get the grades. You'll make due with your roommate, and living in a dorm isn't really that bad. College is nothing to get freaked out about! This is a whole new chapter in your life that you get to write for yourself! You're in control now, and you're going to spend the next few years of your life learning all about what you love (and some things you don't), and becoming who you'll be for the rest of your life. Moving away from home is scary, but trust me, you'll love it. College classes are a lot harder than high school classes, so brace yourself, but it's nothing you can't handle. Oh, and don't forget to put down the books for a study break every so often. Senior year is something you'll never get back, and you're going to be going down your own path soon. Some of these people will never see you again, make memories and take advantage of all the home-cooked meals you can. Get ready, the fun's about to begin!

jonathan

I would tell myself that being a carpenter, a home remodeler, and house painter too are great trades. I worked my whole life and now I am 53. I became worn and tired and sore as can be. I started three years ago studying law and have done very well. I'd tell my youthful self that college is wonderful and a way to learn a profession. It's a way of life and a way to succeed and work in the profession of your choice. You will become a teacher, a nurse, or even a physician. You might serve others greatly and earn a very good living. You see self, I worked very hard and it was very hard physical labor. I worked from six in the morning until three thirty in the afternoon. Sometimes I worked sunup to sundown, fourteen hours a day, only to go home exhausted and in pain . All I had was my toolbelt and my coveralls. Please go to college and earn your degree. The sky is the limit when you think of success. You can be a philosopher like Plato and Descartes, or Socrates and a musician, an artist or professor as well

I would tell the high school version of myself to not let the stress of my future overwhelm me. Choosing a college that fits one personally and financially can be a difficult task. I would suggest spending more time in prayer asking for guidance and courage as I make this life changing transition. Also, I suggest not being afraid to ask for help. Parents, teachers, and counselors are all there to help in anyway they can. I would advise myself to take advantage of that and to use every resource available to me. I would urge myself to never change who I am or what I believe in order to please others. It is important to stay true to oneself. College can be a trying time. I would advise not being timid but bold in making new friends. These friends will be with me for four years and it is important to find others I can confide in through my college experience. Be determind and never give up. It is important to get involved in areas I am interested in. This will help me decide what I want to do and who I want to be in the future.

Mari

When thinking of advice that I would give myself as a high school senior, several things come to mind. Some are academic, such as not losing focus and momentum when nearing the end, even though it may be more appealing to have a good time with friends instead of studying. Some are more social, like participating in more activities in which you are interested in, not being afraid of what others will think of you. Don’t let others define you. You are your own person, and nothing will ever stop you from achieving your dreams.

Kinsey

If I were able to go back in time to talk to my senior self, I would have the talk I needed to hear before entering college. Kinsey, please take more time out of your "busy" schedule to do your homework, and go to class...cutting class does not make you cool. And PLEASE be nice to that poor boy you tease, he later helps you in math and saves your booty a few times on quizzes and homework! You know how you can not stay up late? Well, you need to learn how to, because you WILL have a few late night study sessions because you forgot about a test...or two. You also won't remain friends with most the friends you had in high school, do not be too upset; you'll make new ones. Pay attention in class, because that "pointless crap" comes in handy! Since you're attending your local community college in the town you grew up in, expect a high school reunion every day, so be friendly to everybody. Do not hold stupid high school grudges, that "rude girl" will be your lab partner. Just believe in yourself OK? Everything WILL be alright.

Knowing what I know now about college life, if I could go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior, I would keep my words short and sweet. The transition to college is a difficult one, and there are many aspects that tie into the emotional change a student goes through. Some advice I would give would be to enter college with an open, outgoing mind. There are students who let their introvertive personalities affect them too much. Although it is nervewracking, I would tell myself to make as many friends as possible in the beginning stages of college and just be outgoing. Students put up a wall because that is the most comfortable for them. Making new friends and having the most accepting personality possible would make the transition for a student much more smooth. Meeting new people allows opportunities to expand your cultural views and become a more diverse person. The world is a beautiful and unique place, why not have the best experience possible?

Cynthia

Embrace your learning opportunities. Don't waste you time. Make a goal and see it throught to the finish. Surround yourself with those that are like-minded.

Serena

As a high school senior you feel like your on top of the world. You have just completed the biggest part of your teens, and your ready for the transition of more independence! When I was a senior, I had an athletic scholarship lined up for a junior college in a small city. If I could go back in time, I would not tell myself to do anything different. Choosing a Junior College first was the best transition phase I ever could have experienced. I often questioned myself on whether I was making the right decision, or if I should have gone to a University. I am glad I made the decision that I did. Being 18 is a difficult stage in anyone's life. The hardest decision that one makes is what they want to be when they grow up. This was something I wish I would have put more thought into as a high school senior. Often, this age is to young to tell, but with more research, I could have had a better idea. I would like to advise kids to look more into their future, and determine what best suits their values, and enjoyments.

Wow! If I could go back in time I would probably only serve to stress out my high school self more! I would tell myself that high school is just step number one. I went through high school hoping that would be the end when I graduate, the college world is a bigger world than I could have even imagined! I would tell myself to explore and enjoy. Learn everything you can every weird obscure subject you can apply for. Explore every option and find a new outlet for all the stress I know school caused. Enjoy the moments where understanding a subject hit and everything clicked into place. Enjoy expanding your mind and don't think school is a chore. Enjoy the freeness of school- money will one day matter. All in all I would tell myself that though high school may seem stressful, enjoy it and explore it. High school is only the beginning to the rest of my life. I would say make the most of it.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself, "Forget the drama". "That girl that is spreading rumours about you, the boy that broke your heart, the best friend that stabbed you in the back doesn't matter. You don't understand now, but I promise- nobody cares about anything from high school once you are in college. Forgive yourself for your mistakes because high school is only your practice round, and you are going to get another chance once you start at college. Forget the things you are afraid of, and go get involved. You'll regret it if you don't. Clubs can end up being fun, and you can meet amazing people- and you will in a few years." And last I'd tell myself, " Don't worry. Nobody is going to call you Nicole Toucan in college, as opposed to your name Nicole Tooley, because your nose is a little bigger than average. Nobody is going to care anymore. So be confident, and go chase your dreams."

christyna

If I could travel back in time and have a conversation with myself during my senior year of high school I would lend a few words of wisdom. Some of the advice that I would give myself would be to, try not to hold on to what is familiar to you. You have a chance to be anything you want. Let the world around you influence you and teach you. College prepares you for the future, but everything else helps you find yourself. Understand the value of your education before you lose it. Don’t waste time, money and large portions of your life because it’s more fun to skip class, go drinking etc. Be open to new experiences, but also have goals. Be ready for change, but also have a set amount of goals you want to accomplish. The most rewarding paths are ones with a prize at the end, even if that road splits or becomes a mountain. Know what you want and have some idea of how you will get there. You may take a different course, but never stop moving forward.

Trena

The time is now, senior year, to get the best possible grades in all of your classes. Ask the teachers for an intervention and request help if the adults are dismissing your efforts. Locate one adult at school to confide in for help to do some damage control to your educational path. It is beyond belief what you end up doing for your life’s work. You could have done something extra special with your life if you had studied beyond just getting through. This high-school academic performance will haunt you for the rest of your life. You have such potential than you give yourself credit for, but you know it, and adults, in your life, do not see it at all. Stop feeling like a victim of your individual circumstances and do something about it to make things better. Excelling in your senior year will help you in that uphill intellectual battle that you will have to overcome. You will be constantly having to prove you can be successful in higher education. Senior year could help reduce that incline the hill will take if you apply yourself academically vs socially.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself that schoolwork isn't everything. Sure, GPA is a vital part of your educational career. However, I spent the majority of my time in high school doing homework and studying. I rarely spent time with my friends, family, and loved ones. Looking back now on highschool, though it was only a few years ago, I wish I would have spent more time enjoying the experience of it. You can't get that time back. My sister is a senior in high school now. I am giving her all of the aforementioned advice I listed so that she, too, won't regret letting time slip away when she comes to college.

Haydin

Going back to my last year of high school, there are a few things I would change. As a college freshman, I know that life just gets harder and everything costs money. Who would have guessed that something as simple as a scantron sheet would cost you money? Lets not forget about the textbooks and other ridiculous fees. Going back to my senior year of high school, I wish I would have made it a priority to get a part time job and start saving up for college. I had no idea how expensive it would be. I have always made it my goal to be the first in my immediate family to recieve a college degree. i am not going to let financial issues get in the way of my dream. So here is a note to my old self: it is never too early to plan ahead.

Pay attention! Yes, you are young, and life is fun, but you are wasting precious time that you will sorely miss. Pay attention to your teachers, right now you have it easier than you ever will again during your lifetime and they are trying to help. Quit worrying about boys, and your hair, and most of all what clothes you wear. Enjoy all your friendships, most of them will be scattered in a matter of months across the country like stars in the sky. Love your community with a geniune desire to be a part of it, it will always be a part of you. Listen to "old people," they're pretty smart. One thing about learning is you can never "un-learn" any of it so fill your head with books, lots and lots of books! You will do fine, and so will your peers, but dedication never comes easy, so do not take the shorter path it is longer than it seems in the end. Most of all enjoy your education, and meet new people, as many as you can! You are smart, and the only thing holding you back is you. Let go.

Taryn

I would tell myself not to be afraid of change. Leaving home will be difficult, and being away from family is even harder, but learn to appreciate the time you have with your family. They will love you and miss you, and you will realize how valuable they are. There will be times where you will be so frustrated that you just want to go home and not do it anymore, but you will make it through it. Do not hold on to anything that does not make you happy, find the people and things that will! Get involved with lots of clubs and make lots of new friends that will always support you. You may feel out of place sometimes, but you have to be yourself, not someone you think other people will like. You will find what it is that makes you happy, just don't rush it. Let things happen, always stay strong and positive, take chances, make memories, and trust that everything will work out for the better. Change can sometimes be just what you need.

If I could go back in time and speak to my past self on the first day of her senior year, I would give her this piece of advice: cherish the friends you have now. My three close friends and I all swore that we would never let anyone or anything come between us. Nothing could separate us. What we never realized was that the thing that would drive us apart would be us. The sad truth is that we grew up. We went off to different schools and the little things that change you on a daily basis made us into different people. Gone were the care free and playful girls of high school. In their place are collegiate women that have different likes and beliefs than those girls. Although we still speak over break and keep in touch occasionally, we will never have the same friendship that we did our senior year. I wish that I had known that and been able to truly enjoy that last year of being so closely bound to each other.

I would encourage myself to join extracurricular activities. When I was in high school, I focused almost exclusively on academics. What I failed to realize is that a successful person is a well-rounded and informed individual. Knowing this now, I would have joined more clubs at my high school. I was in none my first year and only several my last three years. There was a specific club that I should have seized the opportunity to join and seriously considered participating in that dealt with animals and the world surrounding them. This and other clubs would have helped me expand my comfort zone, so that I could overcome my shyness. It would now be a great advantage for me to be comfortable speaking and engaging others in almost any setting. On a more personal level, I would have pushed myself to ride horses more consistently. Sadly, the barn that I began riding at in high school is closing down. While I have adequate horsemanship skills, I could have learned much more from my trainer. These experiences have taught me that you will have a limit to your opportunities and to take advantage of them while you can.

Deanna

I would have visited more than one university instead of choosing one college as my choice its always good to have alternatives.

Go to McKendree!!

The most important advice I could give myself as a high school senior to ease into the transition of college, would be to establish good study habits. I have learned, as a college student, managing time wisely and putting forth effort is directly reflected onto course grades. I would tell my high school self to study hard, take good notes, and read assigned class material. I would encourage myself to take more advanced courses and challenge myself. I would advise myself to do my best in class and live up to the expectations of my teachers and my parents. I would also encourage my high school senior self not to take things like social status and high school drama so seriously because in a few short months those things will no longer matter. In fact, studying for finals and future professional outlook become more important, and those things that seemed important as a high school senior were just trivial. I would encourage myself and any other high school senior to strive to learn as much as possible, and to set goals and push to be the best. I would remind myself and others that knowledge is power!

Ciera

If I was able to go back and talk to my self as a high school senior I would tell myself that McKendree is the right fit for me and I will love it. I would also say that I should think long and hard about if I truly would like to run in college because I seemed to just jump right into it with out thinking. Another statement I would make to myself is that I should not be worried that I will get bad grades in college and not to stress out about failing out as much.

Judith

Learn everything you can! Nothing that you learn is a waste of time. Sometimes it is not the facts you learn, but the process and outcome of your interaction in a learning environment that is most important. You will learn how to accept and how to give constructive criticism. You will learn to listen to others who see things differently than you. You will learn to respect and appreciate those who challenge you and ask you to challenge yourself. And sometimes it will be necessary to add up the score in your own mind, and say, the grade was not the most important thing; I did the best that I could. Enjoy the process! Have fun! Work hard and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment in knowing that you put not only time, but yourself, into your work. When you’ve had a class that has helped you to learn new things, to stretch your boundaries, and to grow, thank the teacher.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would assure the younger me that I am making the right decision in what I am planning to pursue. There might be bumps and bruises along the way; however, I will be completely content in where this journey will take me. I would tell myself that there are adventures ahead but to take them in stride and with a smile. (Basically, I would not change a thing.) But of course, I would never do any of this because going back in time and talking to myself would cause a paradox and possibly a rip in the time-space continuum. Even sans time-rip, I would go mad thinking about how and when time travel was invented and why, of all places, would I return to my senior year of high school? Because, surely there are greater time periods to explore! To quote Doctor Who, "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a nonlinear, nonsubjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff."

Abbi

If I were able to go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior, I would assure myself that college life is new and exciting and not as scary as I once thought. I would tell myself to work hard at whatever I do and always give my full potential. Also, to not be afraid to speak out and stand up for what I believe in. Knowing what I know now about college life, I would say that my opinion does matter and to not be afraid to voice it. Another thing I have learned from the transition into college is that the professors are there to help you because they can remember what it is like to be in school. I would advise myself to ask questions whenever I had them, because as I was always told, “the only stupid question is the one that you don’t ask.” Last, I would tell myself to take the initiative and fill out as many scholarships as possible during my senior year. I have been blessed with financial support from my parents, but I would encourage myself to try harder because every little bit helps.

Hope

I should have made time for myself and to get to know myself. I should have been there more for my friends. I am a hard worker, but hard work can only get you so far if you can't have fun every once in awhile. I should have learned to say no. I didn't need to be in or be president of so many clubs. What I did in high school is what I am doing now which is not having time to do what I really want. I grew up way to fast and now that I am in college, I wish I would have learned to smile more and be proud at myself for what I have accomplished because no matter what my mom will always be proud of me and knowing that I am the first one in our family to go to college she couldn't be more proud of me. The things I wouldn't change is my passion for music. As much as I wanted to give it up, the dedication showed many results of success and my hard work because I have proved so many wrong.

Mallory

The only piece of advice I would give myself would be to not stress about once I get to college. I didn't have the most normal high-school experience because I attended private school and was also homeschooled. I would sit and fret over how I would do in college and wonder how I would react to bigger classes and having lectures. I was very worried about it, but once I arrived at college and started my classes, I realized that I was worrying over something small and inconsequential. Another thing I would tell myself is to not underestimate the power of time. In high-school you are reminded of your deadlines time and time again, but in college you don't have that all of the time. My professors try to keep on top of reminding us of deadlines, but sometimes we all forget and we are suddenly faced with a paper due the next day. So, I would tell myself to manage my time wisely and not procrastinate.

I would tell myself that it was a good idea to attend a junior college previous to going to a four year university because it is a good stepping stone. Also, it gave me time to grow as a student after high school to prepare myself better for college. I would say that college is very expensive and to do the best possible because it could become a costly mistake to have to re-take classes or not complete a degree. I would tell myself not to slack off so much in high school my senior year and re-take the ACT because a higher score could be useful more than I thought. It can help with receiving scholarships, and it is still seen by colleges down the road.

DON'T BE AFRAID. College isn't scary. Step outside of your boundaries. Take chances. This is the time to grow and mature. It might not be easy, but if you give it time it'll be worth it. Have fun. Make sure you make choices for yourself, and not for anyone else. Don't procrastinate. Take every opportunity that you can. Work harder. Study five minutes longer. Don't stress too much, because in the end it'll be okay. Smile more. Be friendly to everyone. Try new things everyday. Get involved. But most of all: Take it slow, because it goes by a lot faster than you think.

If I could go back to high school and talk to myself about college, it would have helped me with my first few weeks at Mckendree. When i first arrived at college, I was literally freaking out. I was balling my eyes out and holding my family as if I was never going to see them again. However, once school started, I realized that I had a lot of free time to go and see my family often since I only live thirty minutes away. I would tell my high school self not to act like it is the end of the world by leaving home. It is an experience that I needed for later in life. I would also tell myself to apply for more scholarships. Mckendree University is ridiculously expensive and I am going to have enormous student loans when I graduate. If I did apply for more in high school, I could have saved more money. I would also tell myself that yes, college is crazy. Assignments are due at the same time and at times you will have to pull an all nighter. However, I am a strong person who can take on the world.

The biggest piece of advice I would have for myself would be to not worry so much. By the end of senior year, I was pretty much freaking about going to college. I was worried about meeting poeple, living in the dorm, and most of all the course load. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep up with everthing. I would definitely tell myself that it's not that bad, and classes are not that hard at all.

My advice to myself would be to not worry about what my friends back home are doing because we are always going to be as close. I would always let myself know to not worry about meeting friends it is so easy to just join a group and have so many people want to be your friend. I would tell myself to make sure to get all my homework done on time because the faster you get your work done the more time you can have with your friends. I would say to try as many things as possible and join as many clubs at first as possible and just get involved. Do not worry about the small things that happen in the first couple months it all gets better because every freshman feels that same way that you do.

angela

Don't back down!!!! These would be the exact words I would tell my former self. Getting to where I am now has been a bumpy ride, filled with many road blocks attempting to stand in my way of a better future, and it hasn't always been easy fighting them to finally make it into the college world, and more than once I contemplated taking a different route for my future. If I could, I would tell my former self not to be intimidated by the trials I will endure, and not to be swayed. I am a strong person and can do anything I set my mind to.

Delores

The advice I would provide myself as a senior in high school would be to take education more seriously. I would educate myself early on so I could prepare myself better for this beautiful experience of learning. In addition to this, I would recommend high potential goals for motivational reasons. I would explain the expectations required of me to achieve these accomplishments, as well as organize myself better so I do not procrastinate my studies for later years.