McKendree University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for McKendree University

Travon

Great growing school. Lot's of opportunity and potential for growth in every way. The instructors and staff work hard and care about students. They want to see everyone succeed in their goal to graduate and they put forth the effort to help as much as they can.

catie

The small class size helps you truly focus on the schools academics. Professors are truly helpful in and out of the class. But the social aspect of the school sucks, there is rarely ever anything that goes on. Parties always get shut down within 30 mins by public safety.

Katelyn

I love McKendree. There are things that could be improved, but then when aren't there. I absolutely adore my major department. The professors are great, and really want to work with you. The atmosphere on campus is great. I was really nervous when I started here two years ago, but with such a welcoming community I made friends fast.

Chase

As a whole, McKendree is a great school to attend. There are two major issues with the school. First, the traditional dorms are incredibly old and it is not uncommon for something to malfunction at any point in time. Second, the dining options are not great. The food in the dining hall is almost inedible at times, and the hours that you can go in and eat are very limited. It is made up for slightly for the food up in the restaurant on campus. This food is made to order and always tastes great. It is unfortunate that it is a little pricey though. Though those can create some issues, the school and its atmosphere are great. I have made great relationships with all my professors and have had many opportunities to sit down and talk with the president of the university, as well as the Vice President of Student Affairs. There is always something to do on campus as the campus activities board is always putting on fun events that are a lot of fun to get involved in. Our sports teams always have good crowds at their games and people are always loud to cheer on our team. With the new places on campus that have been put in to give students more places to study and hangout with friends, there is somewhere for everyone to go no matter what you may be trying to do.

M

McKendree is an amazing university with fantastic instructors and an awesome array of extracurricular teams and activities. Students are very friendly and involved on campus, with athletics being the school's main focus. This school also has a fantastic education program. Overall, I have absolutely loved my experience at McKendree.

Jalen

Its a great smaller school that can help an individual get help from a teacher or administrational help. Everybody on the campus enjoys helping and is very connected with the schools activities. The environment is safe for the students and their is a lot of tradition.

Dewey

It's a "liberal sports college", as I like to call it. The emphasis is on sports, not on the academics. Things are generally good enough but it is better to become accustomed to disappointment, even when you are very tolerant of accommodations. The school likes to sweep scandals under the rug, and maintain a perfect image with its marching band, show choir, and football game. The teachers in the science/math department and the few friends I have made from the art/performance departments are the highlights of McKendree. Many of the administration are apathetic and out-of-touch. Most students are there for sports and engage in their own exclusive culture. The Hettenhausen Theatre is wasted on such a school as McKendree.

Ifeolu

McKendree University is basically a high school on a college level, where students know each other and also each others business. The school has faculty that cares about their students whether it is just a gen ed class or your major class. They want to see you succeed regardless of your race, sexual identity, income, it does not matter to them, what matters is that they can see you graduate and they can take pride in knowing that they got to educate you. Housing is nice dependent upon what you are used to and where you decide to live. They have housing that is for people who are used to having a roommate and comfortable with having a smaller simplistic room but they also have suite style housing where each student can have their own room and they even offer off campus housing in apartments they bought and added onto themselves. Access to malls and food places is a short drive on the interstate and it is nice to be close to a major city like St. Louis, which is only about 45 minutes away, so you can always have something to do on the weekends or on extended breaks. On campus food at the cafeteria is sub par but that is expected with any school who has Sodexo as their main food provider. Campus life could use a little bit of a social push to get more student involvement and to get students to meet new students even if they already have made friends.

Alexis

Best choice I have ever made was choosing to attend McKendree University. You feel at home when you attend here and everyone is like a family. Every resource possible in your overall success is always available and you will be set up with an amazing academic plan for your future. I recommend​ McKendree University 10/10.

jaylon

Although McKendree is an expensive private school they offer many scholarships to help the cost. Plus it being a small school there is help all the time, the library is actually open 24/7 to help a student who may have waited to the last second to study. The campus life is amazing, any student will not feel lost in the crowd. McKendree is a great school and I am glad I am here!

Mikala

I love it! It is very small and I get all of the attention I need. The faculty is very helpful when you need them, and are usually accessible in and out of the classroom. The buildings are alright, a little old, but that is expected of one of the oldest colleges in Illinois.

amia

Hello my name is Amia Brooks i am a transfer Student at McKendree and i believe the school offers a lot of support and financial help which I love and you can get ahold of anyone very quickly . I do think students should try to get a car or find friends with a car to go to stores off campus . The class sizes are very good my science class the max is only 25 and the admission office is very helpful . I think 75% of the school plays a sport or is in a club which basically means everyone is involved and very welcoming.

Andrea

I classes are very small. I enjoy this simply because you arnt just a number you are a person and the professors know your name and it's more personal. With that I don't feel as intimidated to ask questions or approach after class to get answers or situations handled. On their other hand it's very groupy and hard to find fun things to do.

Sydney

I love McKendree University. I think it provides many great opportunities for all of its students. No matter who you are or what you are interested in, there is always something for everyone. Everyone that I know has always felt so included and loves the college.

Demarco

McKendree is a small close net university that has professor that push you to be your best inside and outside the classroom. Teachers like Dr. LaMora and Dr. Salari that pushes the science department to our limits. Its not a big party school but there is always something to do. The class sizes are perfect. You really get that one to one connection with your professor. The dorms and the science building needs updating really badly but it gets the job done. Overall the tuition is high but the education is worth it.

Abigail

I feel like McKendree provides an essence that has been lost in larger universities. The atmosphere gives you the chance, the opportunities, and the privilege of learning in a safe and inclusive environment while not been afraid to truly voice your opinions and have them be hard. McKendree is a one-of-a-kind school and would be an excellent choice for any student who wants a small class size in a liberal arts environment.

jacob

It's a really good school for kids that don't want to be in a really big college. It's a small town but the community is really good. The class size is small which is good because the professors will know who you are and what you need to in order to pass. the campus is really friendly because everyone knows everyone. The food there is amazing for kids that need to bulk up for football, also the weight room is a mile away which is good because you can run or jog there to get the needed exercise. Overall this is meant for me because I know that I will get along with the students, professors, and coaches.

Mikala

It is the perfect school for me. We are like a family, since it’s a small school everyone knows each other. Class sizes are small so there’s more one on one time with professors. Faculty is very supportive and helpful with every need, whether it’s financial, academic, personal, etc.