Abilene, TX
McMurry University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend McMurry University

Christian

History department and the fact that the professors in the history department are well versed and published authors.

Apply for more scholarships, get a job and save more for college. Also take more math classes and AP courses. Be more open to exploring more colleges and events geered to seniors. Worry less and focus more on what really matters to me and not everyone around me. Remember to enjoy your senior year because after that it really gets hard. Never pass up oportunities to learn more about what you want to major in.

The History department and the fact that my history professors are authors of books that I had before I attended college there.

David

I don't feel like they have an engaged alumni network if you didn't belong to a club.

Advice to Myself: Be Brave. My advice: Be brave. Flashback to 2007. I was just starting my senior year at Pearce High School in Richardson, Texas. I had a small group of friends I would hang out, which was great. Don’t get me wrong. But I was also shy and timid at times. ‘Awkward’ is also a word people would use to describe me (and still do). I didn’t take many risks in high school, tried to play it safe, and didn’t get into a lot of trouble. Not a lot of people really understood me. That’s where my advice would come in. I still feel like I’m the same awkward kid I was six years ago. Why? I didn’t take any chances. I didn’t take any risks. I played it safe…and it shows. So I would tell myself to be brave. Talk to new people. Make new friends. Join a club! Have fun! And for goodness sake, don’t be afraid of what people might think. In short, younger (but not former) me, live life! It will only get harder. You cannot let the little things get to you. Be brave.

It's a small school where the professors really care about you and will work with you on late work. You can also get recommendations from people you wouldn't normally at bigger schools, such as the VP of Academic Affairs.

VERNEICIA

If I could go back in time and speak to myself I would honestly suggest staying home free of charge and going to a community college in a metropolis for the sake of expenses. I would suggest taking care of all my basic courses and then allowing myself to transfer to an actual university. I only say this not just to save money but to also get accustomed to college and life. This is a crucial time in life where school goes from being pretty easy definition/memorization to actual critical thinking abstracts formations. You honestly need someone in your corner pushing you, guiding you keep going and not to give up. Also being home you could make great use of the resources around you. You have the opportunity to find more scholarships, jobs, internships without having the stress of a new job and new environment. In the long run staying at home and getting a good effective education is the key. You save yourself a at least two years of debt, maintain focus because you want to get away from your parents’ house and then your guaranteed access to more opportunities based on your research or connections. GOODLUCK,VERNEICIA!

A person that is not dedicated.

The small town atmosphere gives McMurry a more close nit, family feel to campus life. Unlike the other two big campuses in town McMurry is small and has more oprotunities to have one on one with the students to the teachers. And with the campus spread out it is easy to not only get to classes you may have back to back, but it is much easier to find them as you are an incoming freshmen or transfer.

Push yourself to get in to McMurry with out the need to transfer. Though I did transfer, it would have been nice to say I have been here all four years. And it's not as scarry as you may think, you will find great people who will accept you for who you are, and not what you wear or how much money you have.

At the moment the only thing is the talk of higher tutuion prices due to extreme budget cuts. The fact that a certian class may be four hours long, but you get only one credit for the class.

Jazzmin

My classmates were helpful at times, but many of them slack off.

My classmates were helpful at times, but many of them slack off.

I would tell myself to visit the college and meet people, talk to future teammates, and classmates before msking the decision. I need to mke sure I have a plan and a back-up plan before going to colege unprepared. I would tell myelf to be careful of the people I talked to and meet because not everyne can be trusted and not everyone can be your true friend. I should have went to a school that I could pay for in scholarship money and not student loans. I would tell myself to not get behind on schoolwork because summer school is hard to do when you are out-of-state and no one will help you, so you have to take care of yourself. Lst thing I would tell myself is, do nit go to McMurry University becaue it eill be the worst experience of your life.

I wish I know the athletics programs before I started playing and all the untold rules for a student.

Shayla

So far, my college education has taught me that a student must keep in mind that they are a student above all. Even though I have a daughter, I have to prioritize my life and time for school, even if it means sacrificing time spent with her. Sacrifices are key to learning the material needed for classes.

How hard it was to find a job in Abilene, Texas.

That included with the tuition is a rental of an Elitebook notebook.

stephen

I am currently in my third semester at Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Arts College. In that time period I have received my Serv/Safe certification; and have had 1 of my chefs pull me aside after class and tell me that he would be happy to recommend me for future employment. In my previous profession I was a Landscape Contractor/Designer. I have discovered that the 2 career choices are complimenting each other well. Landscape because I also have a large vegetable/herb garden; and now I’m learning how to use its production even better. The American Culinary Foundation will play an important role in my future and present growth with its networking and continuing education possibilities. I am currently doing volunteer work at Wesley Woods Senior Center serving as a team with my Lab ‘Hooch’ as a Pet Therapy team. The ACF will allow me to expand on my volunteer opportunities with their Chef and Child Foundation which concentrates on increasing the fight against childhood hunger, malnutrition, and obesity through community-based initiatives. In conclusion I don’t need to remind you that education is expensive. I appreciate your time and consideration of my application for your scholarship.

Krystin

I have gotten my life through my college experience. I have learned how to be a professional woman as well as a educated one. My education means the world to me, and I would love to futher my education with the help of scholarships. My life will benefit with my education as well as my family. I love college and value the lessons and education it has brought me!

The kind of person that should attend this school should be serious about their education, and want a college experience in a small private way.

I brag that I am not just a huge number in a big school but an actual person where all the teachers remember my name.

Savannah

From attending college, I learned the value of being both independent and interdependent. Unlike high school, it was solely my responsibility to keep up with the homework and studying. There wasn't a teacher checking in to see if I've done my part; it was my choice to do it and I'd have to accept full accountability. This was important to learn because relying on others for everything doesn’t help people grow, but instead keeps them at a state of bondage, keeping them from accomplishing great things. As for interdependence, I learned that although I needed to learn independence, I didn't have to trudge along on this difficult journey alone. I could interact with my peers if I had questions, wanted advice, or needed help studying, and return the favor. I learned that living in interdependence is the way to go. If we all serve one another, none of us have to be left in the dust and success comes to all. The best part is that this lesson will take me all through life, not only being applicable to my college times. Overall, I know that college has been a wonderful preparation for my future.

Angela

Going to college forced me to go out of my comfort zone. I didn't have my mom there to wake me up and cook my breakfast before class. I was on my own. Professors didn't check roll. They didn't call home when I failed to show up or turn in assignments. It was all on me! If I failed or succeeded, it was on me. I was in total control of my destiny. I had to choose my path, lace up my sneakers, and get walkin'. I am proud of my accomplishments, and attribute it to my experiences at college. What knowledge I have gained and lifetime friendships I have made during my college years. It has opened my eyes and filled my soul for this journey we call 'life'.

Size matters. Being a small campus, McMurry offers many opportunities for students to be involved. It is difficult NOT to get to know your professors and classmates. It is a community in itself, providing a quality education along with support, encouragement, and diversity.

McMurry University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.