McNeese State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for McNeese State University

McNeese is a good school, in general. Campus housing is pretty questionable, especially the cheaper dorms. If you’re someone without a car, all necessities are within walking distance. Academics are quality and most professors are easily accessible. The student population is wonderful, even if you’re someone who’s shy or socially awkward, you’ll find that McNeese students are helpful and easy to talk to. I’m glad I go here.

kenzie

I truly regret making the decision to attend McNeese for my Master’s. I have had nothing but issues my entire college career and it’s only gotten worse since I have started my master’s. My graduation date has been delayed because they do not offer enough classes to get your degree in an adequate time and trying to get anything done as far as scholarships or office stuff is a horrible experience.

David

Most people choose college for the experience and the learning. Lake Charles is a small town with not a lot of fun stuff to do if you're not a native or don't know anyone here. If you have friends who have been here a while or who are natives then you'd have a good time. The learning aspect however is fine. So, if you're just coming to learn then it's an excellent choice. P.S bring a car. Things are just better that way.

Jordan

The atmosphere is a good place to be around, no matter where you are you can always make friends. We have something for everybody such as sports, greek life, academic clubs, or you can start your own club or your own sports team. The food is good and everybody is friendly.

Jaycey

McNeese is a great school and the professors really care. Many students go home on the weekends, which isn't as fun. The food is good but you are in Louisiana, known for food, so to some it may seem sub par. Sporting events are fun and the Greek life is pretty good. Lake Charles is a fun city to be in.

Ashlee

I love the campus. It's not too big, and I can walk to any place on campus with ease. Most of my professors have been very interested in helping students with their academic needs. The students are generally very helpful and welcoming. There are a variety of different activities available, including opportunities to learn about different cultures.

Kaitlyn

It’s a good small school. The size helps with making connections and getting support from professors. The professors are almost always available and willing to help. It’s a very involved school that provides you with the tools and resources to help you succeed in the future.

Kyra

Good educational-wise but really needs to improve on other aspects. Housing always has a problem going on and a lot of facilities are out of date. Food caters more to the foreign students. Not supportive campus when it comes to events and sports. Rarely has any organizations with active participation.

It truly is a great school. The teachers are very friendly! I received a card from a sophomore with my acceptance letter and it made me feel like I was really apart of the Tiger family! I love my school!!! They wee really helpful with my move. Lake Charles is a medium size town. Go Tigers!!

Lanisha

I like Mcneese because it offers the major that I'm interested in pre-veterinary medicine. It also allows you to get first hand experience with animals your first semester. It is also a campus where everything is pretty close to each other. The people on campus are usually very nice as well.

Jordyn

McNeese was the best decision I could have ever made! Looking and applying for colleges can be stressful, I was always so worried about whether or not I would get accepted and if I would even like it. I never really considered going to McNeese at first because it was so close to my home, but I am so happy that I did!

tiffany

I love college over here so far. It is a very great place to start off a career. They offer many different externships at many different hospitals to get experience while still in school. They offer many different options for students and the professors are very great teachers and help the students actually learn the material and not just memorize it.

Erika

McNeese State University is a great, affordable choice when it comes to getting a higher education. The campus itself is reasonably sized so walking to class is not a problem. The professors are extremely helpful and tend to keep regular office hours. Also, with a smaller campus, it is easy to make more connections with people and organizations. No matter where on the campus the students and staff are always friendly and ready to help.

Amber

Overall it is a very good school, but I mostly attend it because it is close to home. That said, the psychology department is amazing, and the criminal justice department is fantastic. Additionally, the arts departments are always putting on something to do, and whatever it is is usually amazing.

Rebecca

McNeese is a good school. The classes are relatively small and it is easy to talk to your professor and they are generally easy to find. The campus is small and easy to access . The school tries to keep the students involved and often host different activities to participate in especially during football season.

Davon

Mcneese State University is good university because has different kinds of race. Students help each other out when they need help. The campus is a very safe place to live on because we have awesome campus police who monitors the campus . The professors are very helpful and the food on campus is pretty good.

Vivian

It seems like a great school but I find it easy. They seem to baby everyone. Also, they paste a fine on anything and everything. Not to mention I find it odd that scantron's are not provided and I need to pay 200$ for a paperback book that should last me 4 months. Not to mention I have heared they only buy it back for 10$ or so even in pristine condition. I find it unfair. But thats how society is I guess; make a lot of money off of poor college kids. I came to this school because of price but my bank account is regretting it. People here are nice though so thats a plus.

Emilee

I have heard so many great things about McNeese State University and cannot wait to attend next fall. The McNeese campus has many things to offer with multiple dynamics. There are so many clubs, foundations, and ways to stay connected in the community and in the school. The intentions of every McNeese student appears to be driven by a love and pride for their school. Everywhere you go is “Geaux Pokes” and the “Blue Fridays” within the school and community shows that the people of Southwest Louisiana take pride in where they live. The McNeese faculty and staff, that I have met, have been nothing but helpful and caring. They seem to have their students’ best intentions at heart and want to see each individual succeed and reach their goal in life. The love that is exuberated throughout the campus is undeniable and you can feel it as soon as you step foot on it. McNeese is truly one of the most beautiful campuses out there. The way that the campus is set up around a central point shows that the college is built on unity and has a main goal. There are so many values to McNeese’s campus, and everyone feels like they belong. It’s one big family on McNeese.

Jasmine

I feel like McNeese State University is a perfect college for first-time freshman. Being at McNeese has opened doors for me that other colleges may not have been able to do. Everyone is very friendly and ready to learn. The instructors are always readily available when you need. The instructors make sure that students are able to understand the class material. The classroom sizes are perfect, and allow you to have a more pleasant experience. I give McNeese State University a 10/10. I would highly recommend to anyone interested in attending college.

I love Mcneese! Mcneese is not a 'big' campus, which makes walking to class, parking etc. a lot easier. All of my professors know me by name and are willing to help with anything if needed. Everyone on campus is very helpful. Lake Charles is also really fun and not a 'big' city.

John

I love McNeese and the academic programs and initiatives are wonderful, but I do wish more money would be directed at improving the quality of the classrooms. However, the College of Engineering has state of the art equipment used by the plants in the local industry and provide hands on training with the aforementioned equipment. Campus-wide cleaning initiatives are in place to keep the landscaping and nature looking neat and clean 24/7.

Dalton

A great school, very affordable and an amazing experience. Most teachers will have personal connections with nearly each of their students. The campus is incredibly clean and orderly. I promise you that no other school can give you this type of experience.

Kalli

I enjoy going to school here. I prefer a smaller campus with more intimate class sizes and that is exactly what McNeese provides. The professors are all very knowledgeable in their respective subjects and are available for help whenever you need it. Lots of study spaces, amazing library, and plenty of events throughout the year to keep things fun.

Sicily

I love how small the classes are it really provides a better learning opportunity for the students. The campus can be a little run down because it's older and just needs a few renovations. Football game days are always so much fun and really gets everyone involved. I​ never have a problem asking anyone for help the staff is always willing to find ways to help.

Kylie

amazing ! easy to access and very affordable ! The teachers are very helpful and study groups are easy to maintain. Class work is never too stressful and friendships remain tight bonded. Greek life is very important at Mcneesd, as well as sports! At Mcneesd, everyone is looking forward to the Saturday Night Football Games !

It's an amazing school with many academic programs and a fabulous Greek life. My mother attended mcneese and loved every minute of it. It's a nice public university with a reasonable student to teacher ratio. Majority of your classes will not have more than 30 students with uou

Jasper

The campus could use a few updates, however still a great environment with an even better staff. The campus has some beautiful scenic settings in the quad, and there's events several times a week. Most professors are readily available by email or in person meetings. There are several out-of-class resources for homework, tutoring, and studying.

Kirra

I think McNeese is a very lively school. Administration is very welcoming to new comers. There are a lot of activities and academic programs. The housing conditions are really great. The people there are also incredibly nice and loves to see new people which makes me feel comfortable.

Jadeyn

I absolutely love McNeese! Everyone is so willing to help and the school's goals are strictly set on us, the students. Someone is always there to help whether it be a teacher or someone who will guide you when you call for guidance. I was begged by LSU to attend, but I much prefer the environment at McNeese and honestly wouldn't dream of transferring anywhere else!

Delana

McNeese is a beautiful school that cares about its students and everyone who is enfolded with the campus in general. The atmosphere is very unique and makes you feel safe. There is a lot that is our into this university which is why I have chosen to study at this school for the next 4 years.

William

The school itself are great, albeit some teachers aren't the greatest. The biggest problem is the outsourcing. The housing office is a nightmare. Their solution to mold is spray paint. They don't fix ANYTHING unless you hold rent, and then you face legal issues for doing so. There is no care given towards the students past trapping them into a facade of affordable housing, and then increasing the rent next semester. Every dorm is filthy, broken down, and prone to crimes like theft and rampant drug use. Only about half of the RA's actually do their job, the rest use it as a easy paycheck.

Madison

McNeese State University is a place that I feel that I can call home while preparing for life after college. The diversity of the campus, along with the small class sizes and availability of professors makes life a little more stress-free. Finally, the facilities on campus are well-kept and help provide the student with a place to learn.