Macon, GA
Mercer University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercer University

There is nothing that can prepare you to be three hours away from home, and stressed out about grades, friends, family, and so much more. My best advice to give to you is to stay true to yourself and never let go of what you know to be right. I am not saying to not accept people who do not agree with everything you believe because I know you have a tendencey to do that, but never fall into peer pressure and do not forget where you come from. It is so hard to get caught up in everything happening, but remember that God is always with you, and prayer is very much needed to get through the long days and the good ones. If you get overwhelmed just rememeber that mom and dad are always going to be proud of you, and just try your hardest in everything that you do. You are so blessed to go to Mercer University, and there are great things in store for you here. Also...with the relatioship adivce, do not settle, and do not ever be desperate. God has someone specially made for you, and you will be happy no matter what.

A person who craves a relationship with friends, professors, the community surrounding the school, and so much more. Anyone can come to Mercer, but you have to be willing to fall into the culture of it and make it your own.

We have a small campus so it is easy to make friends, and you can always find someone you know no matter where you are. Also, we pride ourselves on having a persoonal connection with our professors. We have one on one conversations wiht our professors about grades, but also about social problems or just friendly conversation. It is common for students to go to their professors' houses for dinner because the professor likes to bond with the students, and they want the students to bond as a class.

Brian

I believe Mercer University is a fine institution that upholds its expectations for providing a high level of education and providing its students with many opportunities to have a better future while managing to have a relaxing but learning environment.

There are many aspects of advice I would give to my "high school senior" self. Most would expect for me to say " focus on your studies" but for me, the most important advice would have to be " just be yourself." I say this because I know that when it comes to college, that it's a whole new world. It's as if it is a "fresh start" so to speak. You are able to show what makes yourself unique, or you can follow what the "crowd" is doing. I strongly believe that I am a hard worker determined and drivened to make my dreams into reality and as long as I just remain myself, I know that distractions will not be an issue for me during my college career. This, of all, will be the advice I would give to my "high school senior" self.

I believe the best thing at Mercer University are the students. The students of Mercer University all show a passionand the determination to make their dreams reality and are taking the oppurtunities that are given to them to make those dreams happen.

Austin

College is much harder than high school. You will have to commit alot more time and effort into your college coursework. Also you need to speak up and ask questions if you are unsure. The instructors will not accept any excuses for late work or work not turned in.

Elaine

Knowing what I know now about college's obstacles and stress, I would tell myself as a high school senior to be involved early on; that time never holds still. Ever. I always knew in my heart what I wanted to accomplish, but as a senior just graduating high school, it felt so far away and impossible -- just as it felt to get through high school, I never thought it would end. Unfortunately, time can be cruel and may fly by without realizing. As I went through community college, I found myself set back due to feeling very unprepared and obtaining little help towards accomplishing my goals. I did not truly know what it meant to be a college student. I would go back and tell myself to work hard right away, but if I did feel like it wasn't the right time, to not waste that time either . I would tell myself that it is not the end of the world to not finish school in a traditional manner and that it is just that - traditional. To tell myself that I will be stressed, but that everything will be okay. Keep your head up, Elaine.

Clarence

First thing younger me is apply apply apply. You got all these expectation of how college is going to be and you forget people are not just going to give you a scholarship for graduating. In the short run its boring, time consuming, and some are completely oblivious; nevertheless, do it. In the long run it will pay off and you won’t have to worry about it so much in a couple years. Next younger me don’t not; and I repeat do not forget deadline they are important and forgetting one an be detrimental to you and before you realize it it’s to late. Lastly, but not less younger me continue to do what your doing. It may not look this way now, but your making a lot of family, friends, and people you hardly know proud and they just want to see you succeed. After all we still got a long way to go if were going to be the first millionaire in the family.

Jamita

My classmates are intellegent, classy, exuberant, funny, dedicated, mature young men and women.

I would advise myself that this is the real world. Mommy and daddy are not here to tell you what to do. You have to make your own decisions now. It will be difficult at first, but it gets better. You will make some mistakes, but that is the part of life. It is up to you to learn from them. College is about growth. There are some people here who are immature and still think they are in high school, therefore they are doing high school stuff. Just ignore those people. They are not worth your time. Most of all, always walk with your head held high.

The best thing about Mercer University is its events. The events here are so exciting. the best event is Bearstock. It allows you to bond with other Mercerians and be one with one another.

Katherine

Mercer is a beautiful school with very good class sizes and great education opportunities.

I would tell my high school self to try hard and develope better study habits. The ability to study well is the most important skill a high school student could take to college.

Someone that should not attend Mercer is someone who is lazy and does not like to work hard for their grades.

Eddie

The main aspect about my school is building a community, and respectful, kind, and funny are just a few characteristics of my peers that builds that community at it's best.

I would tell myself to be more aware of the challenges and diffculties present in going to such an expensive school. Even though your intensions are good, the road is going to come with some challenges that will seem impossible to overcome, so keep your head up, stay focused, and keep faithful to your desires. You should also look for as many scholarships as you possibly can cause it will certainly help out a lot. And make sure that you are sure about what you want in life. And keep in mind that there are numerous people that want you to succeed so know that you're not alone on this journey and don't be afraid to lean on others. And when times get rough remeber that you have those people as well as God that will give you support when you need it.

The worst thing about my school is the cost of tuition. The quality of education and the life on campus is outstanding, however, the cost of going to my school often undermines the good things about Mercer University. The high cost of tuition is also very stressful, especially on students that don't have the finance to cover it

Tracy

The campus itself is not really big, but there are a lot of places that you can go around the city that are not too far away. This makes it much more convenient for students who can ride the local trolleys and buses and save the money that would otherwise be used on their cars.

I would tell myself that one of the first things I should have done was visit the school more and actually get to know the place in and around campus. I would tell myself to make sure to participate in the various events offered during the summer as well so not only would I have been able to get to know the school but also meet some new people. Visiting and getting more information and getting things done sooner and on time would be the first important things that I should have done and would tell myself to do to ease the transition into college.

Before coming to this school I wish I had known more about the places in and around campus so I would be better prepared for what is available.

Jonathan

An expensive private university that delevers on its academics

An expensive private university that delevers on its academics

If I could go back through time to give advise to my younger, high school, self, I would have a lot to say. I cannot really say I was ever caught off guard by the transition to college life, but before actually going to Mercer I should have pursued more scholarship opportunities. I would sternly tell my younger self, "Jonathan you listen up! The first year you'll be alright financially, but after that Mercer will be a jerk and will withdraw some of its financial aid. Don't get fooled into thinking the university will pull through for you all four years." Besides that... I would tell myself to enjoy freshman year a little more. I had loads of downtime from taking general education classes and introduction courses. I spent most of it mindlessly on facebook and xbox. I needed to live a little more. I would push my younger self to not slack off on getting my license. I actually just got my driver's license a week ago. My younger self needed transportation that first year on campus and ended up being a burden to people. Also I would have told myself to take more AP courses.

The best thing about Mercer University is the small class size. In a smaller enviroment I feel like the professor actually cares more about me individually. I can almost always see my professor outside of class on weekdays. And classes seem to be more discussion based allowing my concerns and opinions to be heard.

Mercer University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.