Macon, GA
Mercer University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercer University

Dillon

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there is not a whole lot I would tell myself. The main thing i would tell myself is to remember what I want. Remember why I made the decision for the college and major that I've chosen, and to not let others bring me down. I would tell myself to learn to study as well, because I've needed it. If I had mastered studying sooner, college wouldn't be quite so hard. And I wish myself the best of luck.

The academics and the friendliness of the professors. Also the willingness to help others from everyone.

Bonnieli

Mercer is full of the friendliest people I have ever met, people who go out of their way to help and converse with one another, just as a way to get to know each other and to show their southern hospitality.

I would have told myself to save more money I made from my part time job at McDonalds. I spent so much of it just goofing off or on clothes I really didn't need, when I should have saved it to help pay for my freshmen year. I started college with less than fifty dollars in the bank, and now I have to find a way to pay a monthly bill to the college of my dreams. I also would have picked up more hours at McDonalds so that I would have more money now, instead of waiting until I got here to pick up extra shifts.

Mercer University is unique in the way that it presents itself. It is a fairly large campus with a small campus feel. The students are very friendly and helpful and will do their best to make you feel welcome and comfortable. The professors and staff really care about how you are doing in college and ask about your progress. We are a community of bears that truly care about each other and strive to help each other do the best we can.

Dear Jennifer, As a high school senior, you are getting ready for your college years. They are definitely some interesting years. However, there are some things you need to know before you get here. One of the biggest and probably most important things you can do for yourself, and me, while you are still in high school, is to develop good studying habits. I know you hate studying but it will help you, not only in college, but also where you are now. Another important thing to remember is not to worry or be anxious about things you just cannot control. If you study as much as you can and still end up making a bad grade, do not worry. You did your best and you cannot control what happened - let it go. One more thing before I go. If you ever feel like college is overwhelming or you just need someone to talk to, call your mom. I know for a fact that you really will not want to because you feel like you should not need her, but just call her. It will make you feel so much better. Sincerely, Your future self

Mercer University is a place for people who are ready and willing to do their absolute best and help others reach their full potential as well. When attending Mercer, you need to have the motivation to go to class and do your best - and to walk up and down hills. You also need to have the drive and ambition to reach your goal and graduate with your degree. Last but certainly not least, you need compassion for others. In other words, if you do not have motivation, compassion, and the drive and ambition, you really should conisder a different university.

Mercer is known for challenging students in a wide variety of fields. The school offers rigorous courses in areas across the board of liberal arts, as well as in the newly revamped schools of engineering and medicine. There is a strong emphasis on preparing for real world occupations in your field of study, and Mercer takes serious steps to fully prepare its student using challenging courses and oppourtunities for internships, fieldwork, and student research.

Don't wait to start taking advantage of all the new resources around you! You've finally graduated from the (sometimes coddling) atmosphere of high school. You now get to design a class schedule fitted specifically to YOUR interests, and sleeping patterns! You can choose from dozens of extracurricular activities and organizations. This new level of individual agency can be intimidating at first, but you cannot allow the worry about making mistakes stop you from joining the fun right off the bat - dive in headfirst and see how far you can go!

One quality that could make it hard to attend Mercer would be a certain lack of independence and conviction. This is a demanding school - success in this environment requires personal conviction and direction. Mercer offers a support system of advisors and academic resources, and the students are quick to rally around each other. The materials to thrive are there, but you have to take the initiative to use them!

There is nothing that can prepare you to be three hours away from home, and stressed out about grades, friends, family, and so much more. My best advice to give to you is to stay true to yourself and never let go of what you know to be right. I am not saying to not accept people who do not agree with everything you believe because I know you have a tendencey to do that, but never fall into peer pressure and do not forget where you come from. It is so hard to get caught up in everything happening, but remember that God is always with you, and prayer is very much needed to get through the long days and the good ones. If you get overwhelmed just rememeber that mom and dad are always going to be proud of you, and just try your hardest in everything that you do. You are so blessed to go to Mercer University, and there are great things in store for you here. Also...with the relatioship adivce, do not settle, and do not ever be desperate. God has someone specially made for you, and you will be happy no matter what.

A person who craves a relationship with friends, professors, the community surrounding the school, and so much more. Anyone can come to Mercer, but you have to be willing to fall into the culture of it and make it your own.

We have a small campus so it is easy to make friends, and you can always find someone you know no matter where you are. Also, we pride ourselves on having a persoonal connection with our professors. We have one on one conversations wiht our professors about grades, but also about social problems or just friendly conversation. It is common for students to go to their professors' houses for dinner because the professor likes to bond with the students, and they want the students to bond as a class.

Brian

I believe Mercer University is a fine institution that upholds its expectations for providing a high level of education and providing its students with many opportunities to have a better future while managing to have a relaxing but learning environment.

There are many aspects of advice I would give to my "high school senior" self. Most would expect for me to say " focus on your studies" but for me, the most important advice would have to be " just be yourself." I say this because I know that when it comes to college, that it's a whole new world. It's as if it is a "fresh start" so to speak. You are able to show what makes yourself unique, or you can follow what the "crowd" is doing. I strongly believe that I am a hard worker determined and drivened to make my dreams into reality and as long as I just remain myself, I know that distractions will not be an issue for me during my college career. This, of all, will be the advice I would give to my "high school senior" self.

I believe the best thing at Mercer University are the students. The students of Mercer University all show a passionand the determination to make their dreams reality and are taking the oppurtunities that are given to them to make those dreams happen.

Austin

College is much harder than high school. You will have to commit alot more time and effort into your college coursework. Also you need to speak up and ask questions if you are unsure. The instructors will not accept any excuses for late work or work not turned in.

Elaine

Knowing what I know now about college's obstacles and stress, I would tell myself as a high school senior to be involved early on; that time never holds still. Ever. I always knew in my heart what I wanted to accomplish, but as a senior just graduating high school, it felt so far away and impossible -- just as it felt to get through high school, I never thought it would end. Unfortunately, time can be cruel and may fly by without realizing. As I went through community college, I found myself set back due to feeling very unprepared and obtaining little help towards accomplishing my goals. I did not truly know what it meant to be a college student. I would go back and tell myself to work hard right away, but if I did feel like it wasn't the right time, to not waste that time either . I would tell myself that it is not the end of the world to not finish school in a traditional manner and that it is just that - traditional. To tell myself that I will be stressed, but that everything will be okay. Keep your head up, Elaine.

Clarence

First thing younger me is apply apply apply. You got all these expectation of how college is going to be and you forget people are not just going to give you a scholarship for graduating. In the short run its boring, time consuming, and some are completely oblivious; nevertheless, do it. In the long run it will pay off and you won’t have to worry about it so much in a couple years. Next younger me don’t not; and I repeat do not forget deadline they are important and forgetting one an be detrimental to you and before you realize it it’s to late. Lastly, but not less younger me continue to do what your doing. It may not look this way now, but your making a lot of family, friends, and people you hardly know proud and they just want to see you succeed. After all we still got a long way to go if were going to be the first millionaire in the family.

Jamita

My classmates are intellegent, classy, exuberant, funny, dedicated, mature young men and women.

I would advise myself that this is the real world. Mommy and daddy are not here to tell you what to do. You have to make your own decisions now. It will be difficult at first, but it gets better. You will make some mistakes, but that is the part of life. It is up to you to learn from them. College is about growth. There are some people here who are immature and still think they are in high school, therefore they are doing high school stuff. Just ignore those people. They are not worth your time. Most of all, always walk with your head held high.

The best thing about Mercer University is its events. The events here are so exciting. the best event is Bearstock. It allows you to bond with other Mercerians and be one with one another.

Mercer University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.