Macon, GA
Mercer University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercer University

Jillian

The best advice I could possibly offer to a young Jillian about starting college is to wait. I would tell her that she should not succum to pressures from parents and friends, and that she should find herself among the wonders of the world. I would tell her that everyone has a place in this world, and that some people need a year off after highschool to decide where that place is. Most importantly of all I would tell her that when she is in doubt to follow her gutt, and trust in those who love her. Finally I would tell her that Mom occasionally knows what she is talking about, and perhaps she should listen more often.

Rebekah

I would tell myself to start saving money NOW! Push yourself to fill out those scholarships and go the extra mile to find the ones that are offered to you. Be savvy with your finances. College can be expensive, so find out how to pay for it the best way. Also, college is not just like high school because you have to be determined to succeed, take the time to study and meet with your professors. College courses are there to help you prepare and give you a solid foundation for the career path that you choose. Take the time to actually learn the information, not just pass the next exam. The professors are there to help you, but you have to go to them and take the time to sit down with them to ask questions. Get involved with your college because that will help you ease into college life and meet new people. The college experience is not just for learning in the classroom but also learning outside of the classroom. This is the time create good habits and learn who you are as a person.

Katlyn

Mercer is a campus with high student involvement in a variety of different activitities, where you will be challenged to do your best academically, in your community involvment, and your impact on the world.

If I could go back to high school and give myself one piece of advice it would be to jump into the college transition whole-heartedly, and not hold anything back. I would really want to push myself to be less scared to leave home and to look forward to the place that I would be spending my next four years. I would want to be more involved on campus my Freshman year, and make more friends because the memories will last forever but the four years goes by so fast. I would tell myself to not waste any time being sad over leaving home, and instead give myself the opportunity to fully love Mercer from the first minute of move-in day my Freshman year.

I wish I had known my roommate before coming to school my freshman year.

Alyssa

The advice I would give myself is to stay focus. I am very bright but get distracted very easily. I thought college would be just like high school, just away from home. I didn't study much my first year because I didn't in high school and I always made A's. Academic wise college is something that isn't going to be easy no matter which university you decide on. You have to work heard if you want to accelerate in life. Friends will come and go but you can't take back or redo your education. Your education and contacts is what guarantees you a decent, well off future.

Someone who does not have the drive and patience to endure tough but accelerating academics should not attend Mercer. I personally think anyone has the potential to attend Mercer but to say it will be a breeze is a huge understatement.

I brag about the academic excellence. Mercer professors teach the "whole" student. In biology, you learn of course the material necessary to the course but the course, just like all courses at Mercer, will teach other aspects not pertaining to the course. To go to Mercer is to know you will get an excellent, above average education. The campus is also beautiful and homey.

Rebecca

Mercer is unique compared to other schools I considered because it was the only southern school I looked at/applied to. Being from Massachusetts I mainly looked at schools in New England. Mercer appealed to me, however, because of their generous merit-based scholarships and because of the small, yet influential, campus. Mercer has a lot of involvement in the community and promotes awareness of multiple issues facing society.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior there would be a lot of things that I would tell myself about college life and making the transition. First and foremost, I would tell myself that its ok to say no to drinking, and that you dont have to get drunk every night in order to have fun or to make friends. I would also tell myself that its important to budget my money monthly in order to make sure I stay on top of my funds and dont end up overdrawing my accounts. I would also tell myself that going to classes is important. Although some people can get away with only going to a couple of classes for a course, most professors expect you to be in class and will give quizzes etc. or have attendence policies. Skipping classes is also a huge waste of money, and the extra hour of sleep is just not worth it. Finally, I would tell myself to get my butt in the gym more often. Although there are lots of big buff guys in the gym, its not a scarey place and it helps reduce stress!

Before coming to Mercer I wish I had known more about the large Greek influence. I knew that there were a number of sororities and fraternities but I did not realize how large of a role they played on campus. Although I have considered going greek, I cannot afford the costly dues, however, you do not need to be in a sorority or fraternity in order to be friends with 'greeks'. My boyfriend is greek and so is my roommate. Sometimes I do, however, feel left out of "greek only" activities.

Hykanush

I have received the opportunity to further my education level. All of the administrators and counselors have been extremely helpful; I have been able to prepare for my future with their willingness to aid and support. My college has allowed me take all of my general education courses while preparing for my major. I am very grateful and would love to continue to reach my educational goals.

Tessa

My college experience is not yet over but I have learned a lot I have learned that you can only rely on youself to get information; that the counselors and people around you often do not have the correct answers and you have to dig deep and find them youself. I have learned that if you stay on top of your work and ahead you will not feel overloaded or overly stressed (expecially if you are taking 21 units, like me!). Most of all, from going to these almost two years of college (so far) I have realized that I feel blessed to be able to go to school and learn about the things and interest me the most, and with that knowledge, have the oppurtunity to get a degree in that field and have a career and spend my life doing something that I chose and love. For me, college has been very valuable to attend because I have learned a lot about biology, the human brain and with that, myself and other people. College is wonderful because it will allow me to make a good life for myself in the future which I greatly look foward to!

Gregory

I got out of this College a better out look on my life in general. Studying in Liberal Arts helps any one to look at things very differently. Such as the Old-Folks, child care and a general sense of what god intended for us as a people to do. Many times I have asked myself am I doing the right thing in gaining knowledge in areas that high schools could never teach you? That answer is yes I have. And although I am presently unemployed, I enjoy going back to school to learn a trade that will help me in the long run, no matter my age. I need to learn as much as I possibly can because when the grands ask about anything, I want to be able to tell them about it, where to find it and how to apply it. This is why I need this. To have your own transportation, is like angles singing in heaven. I really need this help! I have been shown the way, now I must make it how I can.

I wish I knew Math better. Having a C+ average in Math is not good, but now that I am attending Savannah Technical College, In the Industrial System Technology course, I'm seeing a lot more Math. I wish I was better equipped (fianancially) to handle the woes of going to College.

A person who wish to step-up his/her position in life. Someone who know what it would take to complete the race to employability and success.

Edwin

I have been able to grow as a person and find great people with similar interests as myself. Mercer has many great opportunities and activities. Also the classes I am taking are challenging yet enjoyable.

Maggie

What I have gotten thus far out of my college experience is that everything that I learn willl help me later in life. No matter what class the information is coming from I will be able to apply it in my future. Whether it is in the job world or my personal life college is all about making sure that I am prepared for whatever comes my way. I think that college has been a very valuable experience. The professors are all about teaching and making sure that the students understand what is being taught and how it will be important in the area of study. Even in non-specific career classes the professors teach skills that will be most helpful in the future especially in my job. My composition professor taught me how to think critically and how that will be important for me in the future. My college experience has helped me grow in many ways and gain skills that will benefit me greatly in my carrer as a nurse. College is all about preparing the sutdents for the next step in their life. Some might even go so far as to call it the REAL WORLD.

Mercer University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.