Mercer University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Mercer University

I absolutley love Mercer. I found it by accident, but I am so glad that I did! There is always something to do and ways to get involved. I have heard many complaints about the food, but I have never had a problem except for a few times when I couldn't find any late night options for food. However, the university is slowly working to improve that. Overall, it's an amazing academic enviornment. The teachers and faculty are commited to student success and are almost always available to answer question and lend a helping hand. Another bonus is that everything is so close together. You can walk literally anywhere on campus in about 10 minutes.

Virginia

I knew Mercer was the university for me when I experienced its welcoming, uncompetitive atmosphere the moment I set foot on campus. Mercer’s intimate and driven community has allowed me to form lasting relationships with peers and professors while providing immeasurable opportunities, such as in research and service. I was drawn to Mercer’s service-oriented focus and desire to make meaningful and long-lasting impacts in the lives of those in need as I hope to spend my life doing this very thing as a rural primary care physician. I have not been disappointed as service opportunities abroad, such as Mercer on Mission, and in the local Macon-Bibb region, such as Service Saturdays, are available throughout the semester to anyone seeking to help others. When I first started college, I was certain that none of my professors would want to be bothered by me or form relationships with their students. Thankfully, I was wrong! All of my professors have been open to questions and student interaction. They all learned my name by about the second week of class, especially thanks to the small class sizes and personal learning environment, and look forward to talking to students about their field(s) of interest. While Mercer students are academically driven, there is not a strong, overbearing sense of competition but rather that of community. Anyone seeking a university that offers rigorous academics in an intimate learning environment with research, study abroad, athletic and service opportunities should consider Mercer!

Brenda

I think Mercer is alright. Mercer is a pretty small campus, so there isn't much that goes on around campus. The food is alright, but it would be nice if the UC were more available to students a little later because there are students who study late and get hungry. The dorms are not bad, but there are some things about the rooms that are broken or a bit shabby.

Madison

All in all, Mercer is a great school. There could be more things to do on campus in general and on the weekends, though. Mercer is small enough that you know a lot of people and will see them around, in addition to having closer relationships with your professors, but large enough that there are always opportunities to meet new people. The professors are fantastic and I enjoy the classes so much!

So far my experience at Mercer has been amazing. Mercer provides students with lots of opportunities and extracurricular activities so that students will not be bored on campus. All my professors are really helpful and will help you if you aren't understanding something. Overall Mercer provides amazing opportunities after college and isn't a dull campus.

Madeleine

Mercer University was not my first choice, however, I am more than glad to have decided to attend college there. The size is perfect, not too small and not too big, and it is nice to meet people you know around campus, but also to get to know new people every other day. Pros: -Small classes -Easy to make new friends -Everything is in walking distance -Beautiful campus -Great professors -Downtown Cons: -It's sometimes dangerous to walk around alone at night -If you don't have a car it's hard to get to stores and the mall -Food choices are limited on the weekends -Parking is terrible at the moment, but apparently they are trying to fix it All in all, Mercer University is a great school and I am glad to be able to get my degree there.

Carolyn

Mercer University is a small and wholehearted private school in central Georgia. The campus is easily navigatable and has its fair share of amazing and horrific professors. Greek life involvement is common, but not nearly as important as at other larger schools in the south. A week at Mercer is typically an enjoyable experience filled with interactive classes, a variety of clubs, and D1 sporting events. However, I find that Mercer lacks the most in its weekend appeal. The majority of the student population will vacate the campus to go to other towns on the weekend because often there is very little to do in Macon on or campus between Friday and Sunday. Because of the lack of a "college town" feel in Macon, there are a high number of students that leave Mercer for more social schools like UG Athens. None-the-less, Mercer continously works hard to cater to the needs of its students and fix what they can fix. Go bears!

Kaylah

When it comes to Mercer University I think it's the people that make the difference. I've met some awesome people so far that I wouldn't trade for anything. It's the people that make the sports and extracurricular stuff worth attending and sharing that experience with them.

kendall

Wonderful. Beautiful. Welcoming. Advanced. Home. This school is breathtaking and has wonderful opportunities around every corner. All students seem to be at least involved in one or two clubs. The school is huge on volunteer work, which is awesome. Every student I have talked to says classes are rigorous but it is easy to get with your professors and help is everywhere on campus! This university is top notch! Wonderful.

Kaitlyn

Mercer University is honestly the best university for anyone who is looking to further their education. When I first stepped foot on Mercer's campus as a sophomore in high school, I knew that Mercer was where I wanted to be and I worked hard to get there. Now, as a freshman at Mercer University everything that I had hoped it would be, it has proven to be that and so much more. From the Saturday afternoon football games to the classroom discussions to the many interactive clubs that Mercer has to offer, one will never be bored or unengaged. At Mercer we have a pretty well put together cafeteria with more than 3 food stations that serves three square meals a day. We also have a Chick Fil A, Panda Express, Einstein's and my favorite eatery, Farmer's Market. No one at Mercer University will never go hungry, especially Freshman who have an unlimited meal plan! Mercer offers 17 Greek Sororities and Fraternities, in the Fall of 2016, 12 intramural sports were offered and there are hundreds of clubs to be active in! If there is something that Mercer doesn't offer that a student may be interested in, all students have to do is come up with a plan to get everything up and running and Mercer will help out with funding! Aside from all the fun outside of the classroom, the action inside the classroom is just as great! Mercer offers small class sizes that allow students to get to know their professors personally! Professors all have office hours and each professors gives out their contact information that allows students to be in contact with professors at any time, any place. Honestly, Mercer is a great university! It is a place where everyone comes together for hard work and learning but also for fun in leisure activities! Mercer University is the university for those hard working students who want to experience a good time, while being active in the community with service activities, all while getting the best education possible! #GoBears!

Peri

Mercer University is the nicest thing in Macon,GA. The school is home to people from many different walks of life but has trouble housing students and their vehicles. Mercer U rakes in soo much money form donor and alum that it should be no trouble for students to find internships and make connections however it is. In terms of campus life, people keep to themselves and are reserved. Greek life is big at Mercer and so is sports.. almost everyone goes to football games.

Christopher

Mercer University is quite prestigious without acting like it is. The academic side of things are nearly top of the line; you could argue that the level of rigor rivals that of ivy league schools. The cost of attendance is quite high due to being a private school which is currently a concern to myself, but I love the atmosphere and the amount of involvement that the school has within my hometown community. Overall, Mercer is definitely an investment money wise, but if you put your all into studies and also into areas that you feel passionate about, you will most definitely reap bountiful rewards.

Danielle

I love my alma mater!

Emma

I love Mercer, but it's definitely not a fit for everyone. The small class sizes are really nice if you want to get to know your professors, and every professor here is extremely concerned with the success of their students. It is definitely a "home away from home" type feeling. My only complaint is the tuition cost.

Cassie

Mercer University is the best little big school. You know just enough people that you will always run into them, but it's impossible to know everyone. There is a big support system here and everyone strives to help out one another.

Raejan

Mercer University is an excellent school filled with many academic opportunities. Mercer provides every student with a way to succeed in their classes. Yes, there is a LOT of work required of you, but it is WORTH IT! The Academic Resource Center provides tutoring for students almost every night of the week. Professors are always willing to help their students. Mercer University is an amazing school, and I am so glad to be able to attend!

Michelle

Mercer university is a wonderful place to grow academically and intellectually. Although it is on the small side, mercer's campus size helps students to get to know each other better. The party life is not as big as other schools, but I believe this creates a more focused, academic-centered environment.

It's not the worst place to go for college, but it is pretty boring if you are not into the Greek Life scene. The cafeteria food is hit or miss. As a freshman or anyone without a kitchen, you practically starve weekends or holidays. If you aren't an athlete, honor student or band kid, then you will most likely not get priority housing or class registration. Uprising freshman beware

Karina

I really enjoyed my experience and I would do it again. The school is historic so some of the facilities are almost century old, but they're renovating all the time. Tuition is really high but as I said I would do it again. There are a lot of opportunities to serve the community.

Zach

Mercer is an awesome school. There are some things about it that could definitely use some updating, namely some of the residence halls and academic buildings, but they are moving in the right direction with the new science building and Legacy Hall. Mercer's commitment to service is my favorite part.

Spencer

I first began my search for an institute to set my career path my junior year of high school. I had looked upon, researched, and visit many institutes. Of the colleges I viewed, Mercer was one of the first. After my first visit to the school, my heart was set on being a student of this university. Despite the high cost of attendance, they made it easy for me to find solutions to cover my fees. The college experience here is great and full of spirit. Clubs, sports, and activities are actively encouraged on a daily basis. As well everyone is constantly informed, so you never miss an event. The academics meet to standards, while supplying a vast array of degrees for you to pursue, what ever your major may be. If you ever need to seek help with your academics, the student resource center will always be there to help. The facilities are plentiful, ranging from food courts, to residence halls, to board rooms. There's a facility for what ever need you may require. Mercer may not be the best University in the world, however, I can wholeheartedly recommend this University to any student that is seeking a school in the Middle Georgia area.

Alexandra

The academics are very challenging but if you're committed to your college career, you can succeed. Fortunately we have a beautiful library with many study rooms and we have a tutoring program where other students tutor for free. Furthermore many classes have one knowledgable student of the course that will schedule group study sessions or give handouts to make things easier. The teachers are there to help you as well. The people are very friendly. I love Mercer.

Theresia

I am a current freshman at Mercer University. Students can individually interact & get to know their professors well since Mercer has a tight-knit community. We have various clubs and organizations for everyone: Greek life, athletics, student council, choir, and other social groups. The school is known for its rigorous engineering and medicine programs in the country. Beautiful foliage and trees adorn the campus. I love my school. Go Bears!

Janay

I believe the strong sense of community, the dedicated atmosphere of success, and the academic foundational support for my chosen major are exceptional qualities that make Mercer the right fit for me. I realize people make a difference in one’s life through encouragement and representation. Upon visiting the campus, I found this to be true of the students and faculty I encountered. I found the warm sense of community inviting and believe it to be instrumental in furthering my academic growth and social achievement. The strong drive to succeed that is very apparent at Mercer will be advantageous to my success. I have a great deal to offer the university as a student because I am inquisitive, love to learn and develop new concepts. I possess the abilities and drive needed to succeed within the wonderfully diverse and academically challenging atmosphere Mercer has to offer. Overall, my determination to be successful and capacity for growth together with the highly aggressive academic path and opportunity for social development Mercer offers; is a great recipe to expand Mercer’s reputation for achievement as well as build an impenetrable foundation for further study in my chosen field.

Abel

Another door held open; a smile on the face of students and an Einstein’s coffee and bagel in hand; President Underwood walking his adorable, constant licking dog, Cricket. All of these are sites that you are more than likely to see every day if you attend Mercer University. They are all constant reminders that you are not at some other institution, but that you are among about 8,000 Mercerians. Now I am not going to lie to you and say that “Mercer is the best school any student could possibly attend!” I know that there are other institutions around the nation that have much higher pedigrees and deservedly so. What I will attest to however, is that Mercer is certainly unlike any other university you will find. One of the things that set Mercer apart from many of the other colleges I had considered was the out of classroom opportunities they presented for their students. For example, Mercer is very proud of the Mercer On Mission program (MOM) which allows groups of students to visit other countries and see firsthand the challenges that the natives face. With the MOM program, students gain experience of applying what they learned in the classroom and labs into real life situations. Mercer also offers their students chances to conduct research with a plethora of esteemed professors and learn valuable skills and techniques. These types of opportunities really make attendants feel like they are getting the best bang for their buck. Another valuable trait of Mercer is that it is a private university. This means that the class sizes are small which allows students and professors to truly connect and helps students learn more efficiently compared to being in class with 100 other question-bearing students. Campus life always seems to be buzzing with energy. There are always some sort of interactive events being held on Cruz Plaza, each of which creates a sense of togetherness with all the students. The setup of the campus itself is quite aesthetically pleasing and will continue to improve with the continuous construction of new buildings going on. However, the one drawback I will say is that much of the campus is up hill, but hey, at least you will not have to worry about the freshman fifteen. Overall, I would say that Mercer is a well constructed school. Their system has produced many impressive alumni and created cherished memories for thousands. Everyone should take Mercer into consideration when they are on their search for their next educational home. Sure you may feel like there are other universities which would be a better fit. To tell you the truth, so did I; but I gave it a chance, and that small bit of open mindedness helped me find the place I can call home for the next four years of my life.

Stephane

Mercer is a great school and Macon is a also a beautiful city especially the Cherry Blossom Festival

Janay

I LOVED Mercer University! I still do! I am so blessed to have attended a school where intellectual and cultural diversity are celebrated and expressed. All of the teachers were committed to encouraging, educating, and teaching their students. The student body were very cohesive and everyone was always courteous to each other, it was like we all understood what each other was going through. There were also plenty of extracurricular opportunities to further supplement student learning experience. Of course the school has flaws, for fallible human beings are running it, but everyone from the president to the janitors had good and genuine hearts that were committed to encouraging one another.

M. Cody

Mercer Is the perfect school, at least for me. Professors are accessible and easy to talk with. Class size is small which makes it easier to engage with the professors. Campus is big, but it definitely has a small campus feel. They intend for their students to graduate and have a fantastic counseling department...from the Admissions Counselor all the way to your guidance counselor...

I think the focus on research is very important but that the fact that they are forcing almost everyone to live on campus until they are a senior combined with the fact that they overfill the class sizes forces students to move into the incredibly expensive lofts which mercer profits heavily from.

Derek

I love the campus. Like anywhere, you get out what you put in. However, due to the smaller size, there are constant opportunities for students to get involved in their major. Professors will either help a student directly through research or at least give the student research to find research and internships in their desired field.

Xernona

It’s a good school. The class sizes are smaller than most schools so you’re able to connect with your teachers more. It could use some work, for example more eating options on campus and some dorms could really use some renovations, but overall it’s a good school.

I absolutely love Mercer University! It definitely has its shortcomings like campus housing, food, and parking but the community and academics are so extremely great. Professors are so accessible and extracurriculars are so easy to get involved with. The "Mercer Family" is a very real thing with support for everyone in the school. Opportunities are everywhere on Mercer's campus and everyone really can major in changing the world.

Lamonica

Overall, Mercer University is a GREAT school! It has a wonderful atmosphere that is felt instantly by anyone who steps on Mercer's beautiful campus. When I first visited Mercer in eleventh grade, I felt an instant connection to the students and professors, and I immediately knew that this was the school for me. One of Mercer's mottos is, "everyone majors in changing the world". I truly believe that Mercer lives up to that motto, and is completely committed to making sure that every student changes the world in their own special way.

Evan

I think Mercer is an excellent school for everyone. While the tuition can be a little ridiculous, the academics and the social experience can be awesome. The downtown scene is something everyone looks forward to on the weekends for the great food and the great parties. The professors are always there for their students and they seem to love what they teach.

Sydney

It is an amazing place to be. It truly is a family. Everyone supports one another, and we all want to help each other succeed. The academics are serious, and all freshmen have multiple people who monitor their academic progress and encourage them to improve their grades. This is the most supportive campus that I have ever seen. The class sizes are very small, and each student receives an individualized education.

Prescott

Mercer University is a fantastic school! The campus is beautiful and I am so excited to be a student there in the fall! My visits have been met with incredibly welcoming students and faculty, and I have always felt comfortable and safe on campus. I begin classes there in the fall!

Mercer is overall a great school. There aren't too many people that can say that they absolutely love going to class and studying and doing things directly related to schoolwork, but everything in all of my classes is manageable and allows me to still have enough time to do other things that I want to do. Everyone that I have met so far is fantastic and I wouldn't want to attend any other school!

anthony

Mercer Law is something I will never forget!

Isaac

Mercer University is the best choice I could have ever made for college. One of the biggest benefits that Mercer University has for students is helping them make friends freshman year and helping students get acclimated to college life. During the first week there are many opportunities that are given to freshmen that are intended for students to make friends, this is something that is overlooked by many high school students when looking for a University. Without a good social experience college will be miserable. The effort that Mercer puts into helping students get adapt to the struggles of college is another great aspect of the school. Every Friday there is a seminar for freshmen that is designed to help students create good study habits and to help them to be successful college students as a whole. There is also a mandatory class for freshman during the fall semester that is geared towards helping students get involved with a plethora of activities on campus, as well as helping students to be successful and making sure they know what is expected of them as college students. I love the fact that I am going to one of the top Engineering schools in the South. Mercer has very small classes sizes and that is very beneficial as a student, it is much easier to get one on one help with a professor as well as just being able to ask questions in class. With the smaller class sizes it is also easier to make friends since you see the same people every class versus a large lecture hall that could have hundreds of student in it. The professors here at Mercer are really here to help, they are all very willing to help you with any questions that you have whether in or out of class. Some professors even have out of class study sessions before exams to really prepare the students for exams. Overall I could have not picked a better university and I have loved every second of it. #GoBears!

I am overall very, very satisfied with Mercer University. Mercer has just the right balance of academics, extracurricular activities, Greek life, and more. The living situation might not be the best, and the caf food might be a little scary sometimes, but it is nothing we aren't willing to go through to call ourselves Mercer Bears.

Faith

It's a very academically focused school so if you go there to learn then you definitely will. Unfortunately, Mercer is so focused on the academic side of things that it seems to lack in a few other areas. It's a nice school and I enjoy it but it's way too expensive for what it is.

Gabrielle

It is a very friendly campus full of people who will help you if you need it. There is always something to do whether it is a big game on the weekend or movies on the quad. The faculty and staff are very friendly and helpful, and office hours are a great opportunity to get help but also to get to know your professor. Mercer is the perfect place to find the people that you fit in with most whether it is in your dorm or in the various organizations that make up the school. Mercer makes it easy for many to call it home.

Joelle

I have attended the school for two years. I realized the social atmosphere was not for me, mainly because I didn't join a sorority and felt my friend groups were dwindling. The university itself is great, and the academics are excellent, but it is small and in a sketchy side of Macon. I think you have to absolutely love the school and get very involved to enjoy living on campus. Also, the food and housing options are okay. Too pricey in my opinion.

Kennedy

It is a good school, especially for the academics. There is a good social life, but you just have to go out there and experience. Campus safety is pretty goo, but you should still practice safety precautions. We are big into sports, but we are also very involved with the arts. Are motto is that we major is service.

Lindsey

I love Mercer. It is a very small campus which makes it easier to build relationships with teachers and other students. Also, if you over sleep you can still make it to class on time. Teachers are very helpful and allow you to visit them during office hours and almost every teacher responds to emails very quickly. They advising services are amazing and help you reach your career goal.

Lauryn

Mercer University is a pretty good school. The class sizes are relatively small and are able to accommodate all the students that need a certain class that pertains to their major or they need for a general credit. The food is sub-par, but the lower rating has more to do with the consistency in the types of food and what they cook rather than the taste of the food itself. The housing is pretty good overall. There are activities to join on campus, but some times it seems that there is not enough or rather that they don't meet enough or have enough events to get involved in.

onisuru

I love mercer university enough to pledge for the incoming class of fall 2018. It was a beautiful experience, and the campus was radiating with an aura of wisdom and guidance. In the current zeitgeist we live in, college is becoming more and more difficult to complete with students feeing left out and like a number, but i truly feel that at mercer, that student to professor ratio is almost destroyed. Everyone there gets an equal opportunity to have the means to learn on a one to one account with a professor. For a college to offer me, some kid from Georgia, a professor who cares about my education and where I'm going means the world to me. I felt like for years at my high school that my teachers only cared about the check, so it means a lot knowing i will be attending a school that wants me to succeed.

I love Mercer University. If a small/medium class sizes where you have the potential to get to know your professors on a personal level Mercer is the place to be. Faculty and staff are passionate about what they do. There is always some event happening on campus. But take a tour and experience for yourself.

Elise

I'm a current freshman at Mercer and the school itself is pretty good. The major complaints from students are the food hours, as everything closes on campus at 8 pm, the library hours, and parking. The academics are the best part of Mercer because of the amount of major offerings we have. Macon, the surrounding town, is by far the worst part of the University. There is nothing to do and most of the town is very poor and run down. We don't go out past dark for fear of something bad happening.

kyra