Mercy College

« See more reviews of Mercy College

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a high school senior I would impress upon my self the importance of organizational skills, study habits and communication with professors/teachers. Organizational skills are of the utmost importance when it comes to class deadlines as it pertains to assignments, projects, financial aid, scholarships, and registration. If deadlines are missed it could have costly results. Organization is imperative maintain for final papers and assignments that require several steps for completion. When one maintains exceptional organizational skills it will prevent the student from having to double back. Study habits are also essential to success in school. During high school years students tend to "wing it" however, if good study habits are not learned during school aged years it will be hard to develop, not impossible, during college years. If these skills are taken seriously during high school these needed skill will already be in line for the college years. Communication with professors are also key when it comes to understanding the teachers expectations and completion of assignments. Open communication between student and professor is always for the benefit of the student.

As a senior in high school, my mail box filled with college brochures that attempted to familiarize me with each campus and the various opportunities their institution had to offer. Now, as a college student, I realize just how little these colorful publications indicated what was awaiting me this fall. I have found that college is not just an “institute of higher learning but rather, an experience. The college experience is defined by once in a lifetime opportunities. Opportunities on the college campus range from sports and religious groups, to a unique social atmosphere, and recently discovered freedom. Truly, college offers something for everyone. Every imaginable type of club exists on campus. Religious groups of all denominations, as well as a variety of athletic events for both fun and competition can also be found. At the end it has valued me by seeing that growing as an individual has helped me adjust to the unique system of living college boasts. This is the only time my life where am assigned to a complete strangers, and told me make an eleven by eleven room our “home” for the next nine months. And as well opening the door to better career opportunities

Transitioning into my first year of college was very difficult for me. There are some ways that I would change if I had the chance to. Not knowing what campus life was like, I was unprepared for college. If given a chance to return to my senior year in high school and give myself advice, I would prepare myself more efficiently. First, I would have been more financially balanced. I would have saved most of my money earned from working during my senior year and in the summer instead of spending my money on unnecessary items. I also would have applied for more online scholarships to help pay for my freshman semesters. Second, my grades for my senior year of high school would have been better in order to raise my grade point average coming into college. Maybe if i registered for summer courses i would have been a little ahead in college. Last, I would have prioritized for college better. A set time schedule would have been effective. My class schedule would revolve around times I have free to study and get enough rest for the next class or any other school activity I might be involved in.

To Parents: I think it is very important to allow your child to research and apply to schools that they are interested in. Pushing a child one-way or the other, could result in an expensive mistake! Do the research with your child, give input and offer to visit colleges they are interested in. To Students: Find what you want in a school, but don't skim over any details. Wherever you go will be your home for as long as you stay there. Make sure to check out extra-curricular courses, as well as sports teams and available after school activities. Also check the variety of courses, because it provides the student with the ability to change their major, or pick up an unrelated minor. The best way to get real information about a school is to speak to the alumni, because most of them are going to be honest. Check out the websites of schools that you are interested in. Majority of them offer a way to contact alumni. Once you get there, be social, ask questions and find your niche. Having a good support group of friends is crucial in adjusting to your new world. Good Luck!

To my High School Senior-Self-- Congratulations, you alpha dog! No longer are you the innocent pushee, slamming into lockers--you are now the pusher! As you may know, over the next few months, an incredible transition is about to take place. And while you may not be able to see past the tower of homework, college applications, and AP-test study guides, I have written to inform you of what to do. Simply take the opportunities as they come. Do not, I repeat, do not be afraid. You will be approached to speak in front of 700 of your closest friends. You will, contrary to popular belief, go to college. You will meet some people you truly love, and some, well, maybe not so much. You will be invited to explore a brand new city. You will discover how to make a cake without measuring cups. You will really learn the value of patience and persistence. And, in the end, the roller coaster of life will seem that much more thrilling if you just take the opportunties one by one. Signed, Yours of the Future, Lauren E. P.S. Don't stutter on stage.

If I could go back one year and advise myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself several things. Education is important, and a huge part of successful learning is being ready to face whatever comes to you. Try your hardest to achieve straight A’s in your college courses that you’re taking this year. If you do, by the end of freshman year, you will have a 4.0 GPA! Be extra organized as you start college because it’s too easy to forget assignment and tests that you need to study for. Most of all, remember the finish line. You’re doing this because you have dreams and aspirations and you care about the future. There will be ups and downs in school, but don’t be discouraged. When you’re older, you'll look back and be thankful that you were fortunate enough to continue your education. Remember that knowledge is something that no one can ever take away from you. Your degree will help you find a career that you love, and you will be able to live a comfortable, happy, content, and satisfied life. Keep Going! It’ll all be worth it.

I applied to Mercy College not only because it was the school my mom graduated from but because it offered many things I needed. The professors were exceptional, if I received a low grade on a paper they would ask me what I needed help with and they would inform me of the hours and days they were available to tutor. My classes were small, the professors encouraged us to get to know our classmates and I enjoyed the lectures and even the research papers because they were interesting and informative. I love this school, I love the fact that I can attend both the Bronx and Manhattan campus during a semester, I like the fact that because they provide trimesters so I don't have to take classes till midnight. I've been at Mercy for two years now and I have never received a grade lower than a B, I have a 3.3 GPA and I have worked hard for it. At Mercy hard work pays off, I actually enjoy my classes and I look forward to the discussions. Mercy College is the exact environment I needed to grow mentally and emotionally, which I have.

I am currently enrolled in my second year of college at SUNY Albany. Last year, I attended Hudson Valley Community College. Even though it has only been one year, college to me has been worth the while. In my first and only year of college, I have made many friends and learned quite a bit about my major already. I have wanted to be a veterinarian, or help animals in some way since I can even remember. Being enrolled in the Biology program has made me confirm that I still want to do so. I have learned so much in Biology, and I wouldn't take any of my knowledge away for anything. In the Biology program, I have met so many people that are so diverse, and that I am able to call my friends. Basically, the most important thing that I have gotten out of my college experience is the knowledge that I want to stick with exactly what I have planned to do my whole life. My friends, and teachers have helped me through my first year, and have showed me what a wonderful thing it is to be able to study Biology and help animals.

The advice I would give myself knowing what I know now is, value education and the quality of life it can bring, stay focused. Don't only think about YOU, think about everything around you and how all these things affect the environment you're in. Work towards progress, stay positive, don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help and, offer something in return. Do research on different careers so you know what to major in. Prepare yourself to be ready. Research schools offering majors of interest. Don't let your peers pressure you into thinking their definition of cool is the only definition. Don't follow, don't lead... just be the best you can be and walk along side of your brothers and sisters. Reach back to where you came from and help another along the way. Get to know someone older, someone younger and appreciate what they bring to the conversation. Appreciate differences, give back to your community, love Mother Earth and share what you know with others. GET A MENTOR... several, if possible.

I will explain, how my past choices and strong family values and support have lead me into making better choices for my future. I suffered the disappointment of not getting into any of the choices for High School I applied for. I remember the feeling I had when I opened the first letter and saw that I was not accepted. I was upset but still had hope that one of the other choices I applied for would accept me. My mother cradled me in her arms and assured me that it was going to be okay. With supreme effort and support of my family, I was accepted to St. Raymond’s. I was extremely grateful to St. Raymond’s for accepting me. My dream school was All Hallows High School, and with hard work and perseverance I was accepted into the school in my sophomore year. I have learned so much from my parents about life and what I must do in order to get where I'm today. I am very fortunate to have so much support from my family and mentor to do better. I thank you for taking the time to read my essay.