Erie, PA
Mercyhurst University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercyhurst University

Jesika

It is a small campus with a vast amount of plants which help to create a relaxed environment.

Marissa

They are generally easy to get along with. They generally care about their school work just as much as I do. They are very helpful and friendly if you need help with anything. They are mostly all around nice people.

It's not as hard as you think it will be. You just need to work hard. Get a summer job before going to college, you will need it. Don't be afraid to talk to new people. Be friendly and you'll get along with most people. If you don't know what you want to do, that's okay, you will figure it out. There are plenty of resources to do so. Just be yourself and work hard and you should have no problem succeeding. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there.

Someone who doesn't want to take their schoolwork seriously shouldn't go here. You will not do well if you don't take your work seriously.

Melanie

Merchyhurst University (formerly Mercyhurst College) is known for its quality liberal arts education, especially its forensic and intelligence programs, as well as its commitment to community service and sustainability.

If I had the opportunity to talk to my former high school senior self, I would reiterate the importance of a college education. I would explain that a college diploma, combined with hard work and motivation, is like a passport to a better job leading to better pay and benefits, which in turn leads to a higher disposable income. I would agree with my younger self who would be pleading that money is not everything, but would remind her that in our society a diploma is the currency that buys options. A higher disposable income means that a paycheck covers not just the necessities in life like food and utilities, but also allows for wider options when it comes to housing, travel, charity and more. A college diploma generally allows one the means and ability to explore the world, live life more fully and serve others in need. I would advocate for living the college experience to the fullest—soak up all the knowledge and information available, join in campus activities and clubs, meet as many interesting and diverse people as possible. Overall, I would say to keep smiling and to always, always, always follow your heart.

Students who do not value personal attention or who are only concerned about joining social fraternities or sororities will probably not find Mercyhurst a good fit for them. At Mercyhurst, students are not just a number or random face; professors, advisors and staff know students on an individual basis and have genuine concern for their progress and success at the college and beyond. Students are offered rigorous and challenging courses, as well as a plethora of extracurricular clubs, activities and sports in which they can participate.

Miesha

I have been accepted into Clark University’s Bachelor of Arts Program in Mass Media. My purpose for reaching out to you is to request scholarship funds to supplement my educational expenses. I am requesting these funds due to a lack of financial stability in my household. I have recently graduated from Baltimore City Community College with an Associate of Arts Degree in General Studies, with dreams to become a TV or Radio Broadcasting Personality. This has been a lifelong dream of mine, and I do feel that I am well prepared for the obstacles and hardships to come from the rigorous Mass Media Program at Clark University. I am a very well-rounded person. My first year at Baltimore City Community College, I knew that I wanted to further my education at a HBCU. I pushed myself for three years to gain my AA degree and begin the transfer student process. I have attended many summer classes at BCCC and had several classes at the Bio Park learning center. My aspirations to attend an out of State school arise from research that I have undertaken pursuant to the field of Communications.

Richard

The best thing about Mercyhurst college for me is the vast amount of hand on experience that is offered in the majority of courses that I have taken. This is not only preparing you for the "real world" but it also acts as an excellent resume builder. Another thing I love about Mercyhurst College is the small community feel, I know it is a cliche but you will never just be a number at Mercyhurst, this is helped by the our small class sizes and the large amounts of opportunities available to get involved in student life. If I was to change one thing about Mercyhurst it would have to be the living conditions for some of (not all of) the upper class man housing, some of it could do with a slight update. I have so many fond memories at the "hurst", but the best ones all involve my very good friends that I have made here, the student population is really very welcoming and friendly, this is something I would particularly know as an International student.

Mercyhurst has over 85 registered clubs and organizations, with a student body of 3200 undergrads this to me is remarkable. I was most defintely not your typical involved student when I first came to mercyhurst, but with the more time I spent here I became very passionate about the college and got heavily involved in many organizations mid way through my sophomore year. I am currently involved with the Ambassador Club, Mercyhurst Student Government and I am the new Chair of summer orientation and welcome week. Mercyhurst overs a diverse mix of speakers and performances in our beautiful Performing Arts Centre, all of which are discounted or free for students. Mercyhurst is not a major party school, but as with all colleges there are many opportunities to socialize and meet like minded people :) The activities council hosts many events every weekend, so there is never not anything to do!

Mercyhurst has a highly diverse mix of students, it has international students from all over the world, sports players of every sort and many other mixes of students. The Mercyhurst community is very accepting of all races,sexes and people from all socio economic backgrounds!! Mercyhurst is very much a college where the dance majors will be friends with the athletes and international students will be friends with Americans, There really is no clicks or separation between any groups that I have witnessed in my time here!

Academics here at Mercyhurst could only be described as top class, Mercyhurst offers so many well respected and well known programs that have received both national and international recognition, with departments such as the institute for intelligence and our excellent forensic department to name a few. My favorite class I have taken at Mercyhurst to date is intro to competitive intelligence, the reason I enjoyed this class so much was that it provided me with a realistic insight into what would be doing in my career as a Business Competitive Intelligence major. professors are very welcoming and accommodating across all departments, of course some are more helpful than others but the majority of them are extremely helpful will go above and beyond to help you in any way possible.

I would have to say that there is no stereotype of any type attached to students at Mercyhurst College. The Mercyhurst student body is very diverse and fosters an environment where students are free to be themselves and express who they are. The student body consists of a very diverse mix of students, who integrate very well. This is something that is very unique to Mercyhurst College and part of the reason why I have enjoyed my time here so much!!

Killian

It is a great school, small with only about 3000 undergraduate student. Prefect for anybody that does not want to get lost in a larger campus, but it is still big enough to always be meeting new people

There are alot of active clubs and organizations on campus. I'm on Student Government which I think is great. It gave me the chance to meet with students I wouldn't usually meet since there are representatives from every class, and academic school of the college. Getting involved is definitely the best way to meet people at Mercyhurst. There is a club fair held at the beginning of every year where you can join up for all different types of clubs.

The students at Mercyhurst are extremely nice, there is a large international presence on campus, with students from Europe, South America and Asia.

The academics are good, like every school there are good professors and bad. Mercyhurst has mostly good. The top majors here are Forensics, Intelligence, Dance, and the Business Dept.

There aren't many stereotypes, but it is true that football players hangout together, dancers do. Alot of people with the same majors tend to hangout with eachother.

Leah

My overall opinion of Mercyhurst is that it is an excellent place to make something of yourself. It's a very small school that can be very personal, which I truly enjoy. It isn't the place for anonymity, which I'll admit would be nice at times. Occasionally the school becomes "cliquy" due to its size, especially for freshmen. However, the opportunities the school presents is wonderful. I personally believe that as a student my best interest is in the minds of administration and that its easy for me to do what I want.

Mercyhurst is made up of many different smaller groups. Mercyhurst Student Government is a solid force in the community and something that I am a part of. Sports teams are extremely popular. I met my closest friends by chance in the Cafeteria and also through my major. Partying isn't super intense but there's always someplace to go drink if you want to. If you don't feel like drinking the Student Activities Council usually has events going on during the weekend. As a freshman, it's hard to leave campus, but the mall does indeed exist as well as the rest of Erie.

From my experience, students at Mercyhurst are rather diverse. The majority of students are middle class/ upper middle class kids from Cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh, but it's extremely easy to find kids from all over the world and other parts of the US. You'll find all sorts of people with all different views and orientations, even if it is only a small group. The majority of students I have found are Catholic, however that is expected seeing as Mercyhurst is indeed a Catholic school. The nice thing is, however, the views of Catholicism I feel are never forced upon anyone, and if anything, they are presented in a non-denominational way that is relatable to everyone.

The academics at Mercyhurst are personally something I enjoy. The class sizes are extremely small compared to most colleges. As a graphic design major I receive intimate personal attention for my work which has helped me grow immensely as an artist. People tend to be laid back and not overly competitive but they get their work done, and for the most part, they take pride in their work and do it well.

The stereotype of Mercyhurst students isn't necessarily something I'm familiar with. I tend to function as I want to. But overall, there's three main groups of students. The hardcore athletes, the very involved kids, the mildly involved kids and the kids who just go to class (if that) and disappear.

Ever since I was a prospective student, I always thought Mercyhurst was the school for me. As soon as I stepped foot on this campus, I felt a very friendly, family-type atmosphere. My favorite part of this campus is that I can truly call Mercyhurst my home away from home. The small student-teacher ratio where teachers actually know my name and how a door is always held for you even if you don't know the person are some of my favorite aspects of Mercyhurst that made me fall in love with it. One thing I would change about this school is the food and parking. We changed the food when I was a Sophomore and while I do love some of the changes that were made, the food became very expensive. Also, I feel as though we should get more of a variety. I also think as a student, the Student Union should be a place where students hang out and currently, they do not. However, those rennovations are currently in progress. In my opinion, this school is the perfect distance away from home and the perfect size. It's big enough where you can meet new people, but small enough to give it that "family" feel. The first reaction of most people when I tell them about Mercyhurst is they actually haven't heard of it until I say that it is Erie or near Gannon University. I think Erie as a college town is the perfect size. There is enough to do both on campus and off campus when students aren't in classes. From restaurants to the beach to the mall to the movie theater, there are plenty of activities for students. I feel as though the school sometimes doesn't have as much pride as it should. Even though it is a small campus, I feel as though it can be seperated sometimes. My most fond memories at Mercyhurst are with the clubs and activities that I joined on campus. I had such wonderful fun amazing times with the people I meet and the events that we had. I feel as though most students complain about the food, parking, and class availability (class registration). Sometimes it seems as though the classes you want as a student aren't available or fill up quicker than they should.

I am have been involved with various clubs, organizations, and activities around campus. Some included Mercyhurst Student Government, Student Activities Council, Ambassador Club, Business Club, PRSSA, and AMA. Through all of these clubs and organizations, I have met my best friends and have truly had some of the best times of my life. These times I will remember for the rest of my life. I feel as though some students feel as though if you get involved, you can't have a social life, and I don't agree with that all. As freshman, students get dressed up to class, but once they start to realize you don't have to get dressed up, most students wear jeans or sweatpants to class. I feel as though Mercyhurst College is filled with an extremely diverse campus. I have a lot of international friends and it's awesome to be able to interact and socialize with people from different cultures around the world. Most of the students come from Buffalo, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh (because they are three largest cities in close range to Erie), but again, students come from all over the world. It is very interesting to be such a small school, but have such a diverse campus.

The academics are great at Mercyhurst. The student-teacher ratio is small so that professors know me on a first name basis. They all make themselves very available to you as a student so that you can ask them questions or get help with anything you might need. My major classes are my favorite classes, but I think I am just bias. The Business School professors are always there for students when you need them the most. Some of the core classes that I have taken as a student haven't been my favorite classes, but I understand why students should take the common core of classes that we do take. It makes students more well rounded human beings so that when we go out into the world in our careers, we can excell in areas other than just our major. Students study a normal amount meaning that they work hard, but still make time to have a social life. It all depends upon the individual with how much each student studies and for what classes they are taking at that time. My most unique class that I have taken is Film Appreciation. We analyzed comedy films starting in the 1930's. I love movies and I love to laugh so it was a wonderful class that I enjoyed going to every week. I feel as though, at least in the Business Department, they want you to succeed in everything that you do. They are more than willing to help you not only with classes, but with life and finding a career. They help you with references, job searching, and are geared towards providing every student with the resources to find a job and a successful future.

At Mercyhurst College, the same group of 30 students seem to be involved with everything on campus. From the Student Government to the Honors Society to Ambassadors, it seems as though most of the same students tend to be involved with everything. Then if the student isn't involved, he/she tends to be an athlete or just a "regular" college student that just takes classes and does nothing else. I believe this stereotype defintely is accurate. I know that as one of the students that is involved, I met all of my friends by getting involved with the same activities. Each activity involves the same students for the most part. Everyone else on campus is either an athlete and doesn't have time for activities or is just a student that takes classes and does nothing else.

Brian

Overall? I'm pretty happy with the experience I'm getting at Mercyhurst - a unique one, to be sure. Mercyhurst is definitely not for everyone, but if it's for you then it's a perfect fit. With about 3,000 students, you know many people, but still have the chance to meet new people every day - it's great because many of us are a "family". Of course this small size brings its challenges, as sometimes there is typical drama. But the best part of this small size is the attention you receive from professors. It's great to be able to connect with some very renowned faculty at the highest levels of the institution. You will always get the help you need here. The campus itself is BEAUTIFUL! It's one of the prettiest places I've ever been to and a huge advantage.

Our campus has over 86 recognized student clubs and organizations - there is literally one for everybody. If a student wants to start a new club, they can apply for funds to begin that as well! There are also huge leadership opportunities in this school. From the Student Government, Ambassador Club, Laker Leaders, and Leadership Certification Program, there are a number of organizations that help students refine their leadership abilities. Every weekend, our Student Activities Council come together to hold events on campus, ranging from coffee-shop musicians, great comedians, movies, always complete with tons of food! One of our biggest events on campus each year is SpringFest - an annual weekend where MSG and SAC bring in a big-name band and have a festival! It's so much fun and something that people each year look forward to!

Students here are very diverse. You will find many students from the tri-state area (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Buffalo) but we also have a great international population, with students attending from Ireland, Honduras, Canada, England, Guatemala, and Serbia. They are Caucasion, African-American, Democrat, Republican, straight, gay, Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant. I think this diversity is one of the school's greatest strengths, as it allows you to learn so much about different lifestyles and points of view. It is a great opportunity to expand your horizons and to make you more accepting of those who are different than oneself.

Academics are probably the strongest part of the school. I am very happy with my educational experience, and have ever only had 2 "bad" profs. Professors are always there to help you, and willing to meet with you at any time - it's very easy to connect with them. Class participation is required, and because of the size, teachers often take attendance. They know you, care about you, and want you to do well. The common core is unusually large, which gives us a well rounded education in the liberal arts. We are able to take classes not normal to our majors or the typical "math, science, history". These classes include: religion, arts appreciation, social sciences, and philosophy. I'm VERY happy with my educational experience at Mercyhurst - it is certainly giving me a heads up in the world.

I wouldn't say that there is a "neat" stereotype box that Mercyhurst students fall in to. However, if I had to choose, because Mercyhurst is a relatively small Catholic institution, I guess one would expect everyone who goes there to study hard, not party too much, and be Catholic - the same as if one was in a private Catholic high school. Contrary to this belief, we don't all wear uniforms, are forced to attend mass daily, or are taught by sisters in black and white habits. This doesn't mean that we are all party-ers, but we are simply normal college kids. Perhaps one thing that sets us apart, is our concern for the community and desire to do service - many people who go here really do want to make the world a better place.

Mercyhurst University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.