Erie, PA
Mercyhurst University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercyhurst University

Leah

My overall opinion of Mercyhurst is that it is an excellent place to make something of yourself. It's a very small school that can be very personal, which I truly enjoy. It isn't the place for anonymity, which I'll admit would be nice at times. Occasionally the school becomes "cliquy" due to its size, especially for freshmen. However, the opportunities the school presents is wonderful. I personally believe that as a student my best interest is in the minds of administration and that its easy for me to do what I want.

Mercyhurst is made up of many different smaller groups. Mercyhurst Student Government is a solid force in the community and something that I am a part of. Sports teams are extremely popular. I met my closest friends by chance in the Cafeteria and also through my major. Partying isn't super intense but there's always someplace to go drink if you want to. If you don't feel like drinking the Student Activities Council usually has events going on during the weekend. As a freshman, it's hard to leave campus, but the mall does indeed exist as well as the rest of Erie.

From my experience, students at Mercyhurst are rather diverse. The majority of students are middle class/ upper middle class kids from Cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh, but it's extremely easy to find kids from all over the world and other parts of the US. You'll find all sorts of people with all different views and orientations, even if it is only a small group. The majority of students I have found are Catholic, however that is expected seeing as Mercyhurst is indeed a Catholic school. The nice thing is, however, the views of Catholicism I feel are never forced upon anyone, and if anything, they are presented in a non-denominational way that is relatable to everyone.

The academics at Mercyhurst are personally something I enjoy. The class sizes are extremely small compared to most colleges. As a graphic design major I receive intimate personal attention for my work which has helped me grow immensely as an artist. People tend to be laid back and not overly competitive but they get their work done, and for the most part, they take pride in their work and do it well.

The stereotype of Mercyhurst students isn't necessarily something I'm familiar with. I tend to function as I want to. But overall, there's three main groups of students. The hardcore athletes, the very involved kids, the mildly involved kids and the kids who just go to class (if that) and disappear.

Ever since I was a prospective student, I always thought Mercyhurst was the school for me. As soon as I stepped foot on this campus, I felt a very friendly, family-type atmosphere. My favorite part of this campus is that I can truly call Mercyhurst my home away from home. The small student-teacher ratio where teachers actually know my name and how a door is always held for you even if you don't know the person are some of my favorite aspects of Mercyhurst that made me fall in love with it. One thing I would change about this school is the food and parking. We changed the food when I was a Sophomore and while I do love some of the changes that were made, the food became very expensive. Also, I feel as though we should get more of a variety. I also think as a student, the Student Union should be a place where students hang out and currently, they do not. However, those rennovations are currently in progress. In my opinion, this school is the perfect distance away from home and the perfect size. It's big enough where you can meet new people, but small enough to give it that "family" feel. The first reaction of most people when I tell them about Mercyhurst is they actually haven't heard of it until I say that it is Erie or near Gannon University. I think Erie as a college town is the perfect size. There is enough to do both on campus and off campus when students aren't in classes. From restaurants to the beach to the mall to the movie theater, there are plenty of activities for students. I feel as though the school sometimes doesn't have as much pride as it should. Even though it is a small campus, I feel as though it can be seperated sometimes. My most fond memories at Mercyhurst are with the clubs and activities that I joined on campus. I had such wonderful fun amazing times with the people I meet and the events that we had. I feel as though most students complain about the food, parking, and class availability (class registration). Sometimes it seems as though the classes you want as a student aren't available or fill up quicker than they should.

I am have been involved with various clubs, organizations, and activities around campus. Some included Mercyhurst Student Government, Student Activities Council, Ambassador Club, Business Club, PRSSA, and AMA. Through all of these clubs and organizations, I have met my best friends and have truly had some of the best times of my life. These times I will remember for the rest of my life. I feel as though some students feel as though if you get involved, you can't have a social life, and I don't agree with that all. As freshman, students get dressed up to class, but once they start to realize you don't have to get dressed up, most students wear jeans or sweatpants to class. I feel as though Mercyhurst College is filled with an extremely diverse campus. I have a lot of international friends and it's awesome to be able to interact and socialize with people from different cultures around the world. Most of the students come from Buffalo, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh (because they are three largest cities in close range to Erie), but again, students come from all over the world. It is very interesting to be such a small school, but have such a diverse campus.

The academics are great at Mercyhurst. The student-teacher ratio is small so that professors know me on a first name basis. They all make themselves very available to you as a student so that you can ask them questions or get help with anything you might need. My major classes are my favorite classes, but I think I am just bias. The Business School professors are always there for students when you need them the most. Some of the core classes that I have taken as a student haven't been my favorite classes, but I understand why students should take the common core of classes that we do take. It makes students more well rounded human beings so that when we go out into the world in our careers, we can excell in areas other than just our major. Students study a normal amount meaning that they work hard, but still make time to have a social life. It all depends upon the individual with how much each student studies and for what classes they are taking at that time. My most unique class that I have taken is Film Appreciation. We analyzed comedy films starting in the 1930's. I love movies and I love to laugh so it was a wonderful class that I enjoyed going to every week. I feel as though, at least in the Business Department, they want you to succeed in everything that you do. They are more than willing to help you not only with classes, but with life and finding a career. They help you with references, job searching, and are geared towards providing every student with the resources to find a job and a successful future.

At Mercyhurst College, the same group of 30 students seem to be involved with everything on campus. From the Student Government to the Honors Society to Ambassadors, it seems as though most of the same students tend to be involved with everything. Then if the student isn't involved, he/she tends to be an athlete or just a "regular" college student that just takes classes and does nothing else. I believe this stereotype defintely is accurate. I know that as one of the students that is involved, I met all of my friends by getting involved with the same activities. Each activity involves the same students for the most part. Everyone else on campus is either an athlete and doesn't have time for activities or is just a student that takes classes and does nothing else.

Brian

Overall? I'm pretty happy with the experience I'm getting at Mercyhurst - a unique one, to be sure. Mercyhurst is definitely not for everyone, but if it's for you then it's a perfect fit. With about 3,000 students, you know many people, but still have the chance to meet new people every day - it's great because many of us are a "family". Of course this small size brings its challenges, as sometimes there is typical drama. But the best part of this small size is the attention you receive from professors. It's great to be able to connect with some very renowned faculty at the highest levels of the institution. You will always get the help you need here. The campus itself is BEAUTIFUL! It's one of the prettiest places I've ever been to and a huge advantage.

Our campus has over 86 recognized student clubs and organizations - there is literally one for everybody. If a student wants to start a new club, they can apply for funds to begin that as well! There are also huge leadership opportunities in this school. From the Student Government, Ambassador Club, Laker Leaders, and Leadership Certification Program, there are a number of organizations that help students refine their leadership abilities. Every weekend, our Student Activities Council come together to hold events on campus, ranging from coffee-shop musicians, great comedians, movies, always complete with tons of food! One of our biggest events on campus each year is SpringFest - an annual weekend where MSG and SAC bring in a big-name band and have a festival! It's so much fun and something that people each year look forward to!

Students here are very diverse. You will find many students from the tri-state area (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Buffalo) but we also have a great international population, with students attending from Ireland, Honduras, Canada, England, Guatemala, and Serbia. They are Caucasion, African-American, Democrat, Republican, straight, gay, Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant. I think this diversity is one of the school's greatest strengths, as it allows you to learn so much about different lifestyles and points of view. It is a great opportunity to expand your horizons and to make you more accepting of those who are different than oneself.

Academics are probably the strongest part of the school. I am very happy with my educational experience, and have ever only had 2 "bad" profs. Professors are always there to help you, and willing to meet with you at any time - it's very easy to connect with them. Class participation is required, and because of the size, teachers often take attendance. They know you, care about you, and want you to do well. The common core is unusually large, which gives us a well rounded education in the liberal arts. We are able to take classes not normal to our majors or the typical "math, science, history". These classes include: religion, arts appreciation, social sciences, and philosophy. I'm VERY happy with my educational experience at Mercyhurst - it is certainly giving me a heads up in the world.

I wouldn't say that there is a "neat" stereotype box that Mercyhurst students fall in to. However, if I had to choose, because Mercyhurst is a relatively small Catholic institution, I guess one would expect everyone who goes there to study hard, not party too much, and be Catholic - the same as if one was in a private Catholic high school. Contrary to this belief, we don't all wear uniforms, are forced to attend mass daily, or are taught by sisters in black and white habits. This doesn't mean that we are all party-ers, but we are simply normal college kids. Perhaps one thing that sets us apart, is our concern for the community and desire to do service - many people who go here really do want to make the world a better place.

Jenna

Mercyhurst is a great close knit campus. It's small and everyone becomes a familiar face. This also means that everyone knows everyone's business. If you don't know a person directly here, you more than likely know their roommate or boyfriend or something. We live in a pretty decent part of Erie, it could always be right in the city which I don't think I would like better. We're close to a pretty good mall, tons of shopping centers, and just about every chain restaurant you can think of. Erie's weather is sometimes a pretty big bummer though, when it snows, it snows. We have winter about 7 months out of the year, which is pretty depressing! I'm kind of biased when it comes to weekend activities because I hold a position on our Student Activities Council board. We put on events every Friday and Saturday that are free of charge to students. Events vary from comedians, singers, magicians, to build-a-bear and there's always free food. We also plan with the Student Government a huge end of year spring concert we call Spring Fest, we bring in a fairly well known band and have day activities. It's a signature Mercyhurst memory that every student should experience at least once. I love that at Mercyhurst you can never say "There isn't anything to do." We also have a Laker Spirit Club that goes out to sporting events to get the spirit going, but unfortunately, it doesn't really draw a crowd. There are still tons of Laker fans out there at the games cheering on our athletes. Another one of my favorite things about Mercyhurst is that after your freshman year on campus, you no longer live in a traditional dorm room. Sophomores and upperclassmen get to move into apartments or have the choice to move off of campus. Though the apartments are a little dated (some back to the 50s!) it's kind of cool to get a place with your friends with a kitchen, living room, bathroom, and two bedrooms.

Athletes are definitely a large percentage of the population at Mercyhurst. Most teams practice together, eat together, and live together. Certain teams go off campus and rent houses, which I feel replaces the "frat house" thing. We don't have a Greek life here so there's no rush or pledge week. We are a huge hockey school. That is one sporting event that truly does draw a crowd. There is a pretty good following after the Student Activities Council. They host events every Friday and Saturday from about 9 p.m. until 12 a.m. They have things like movie nights, dance parties, food events, and comedians. I am heavily involved in this club and enjoy it very much. From an outsider perspective, students probably regularly "go out" on the weekends. Mercyhurst has a neighboring bar down the street that is Mercyhurst themed and students tend to hang out at. They have karaoke, a dance floor, and pretty decent food during the day. Erie is also known for State Street which is a street of bars that students can be found at night.

There is a pretty decent mix on campus. There is a great variety of international students from all over the world. I promise by the time you get through one year at Mercyhurst, you'll have interacted with at least one person from another culture. There is a strong campus ministry and multicultural organization on campus too. They are really there for students who may be LGBT, of a less common religion, struggling with emotional problems, or students just trying to find a way to get involved. Though some might argue that Mercyhurst is a predominately Caucasian campus, there are definitely African Americans, Hispanics, Asian etc. students present. And most students, but not all, are Christian.

Since Mercyhurst is such a small campus with about 3,000 undergrads, professors can establish a good student relationship with various students. It is a liberal arts institution so the common core pushes students to take classes outside of there intended major. Like art appreciation classes, sciences, literature, and languages. This makes all Mercyhurst alum really well-rounded professionals in my opinion.

Mercyhurst students tend to earn the private school "rich kid" stereotype. While some students may fit that description, most of us are not paying the full sticker price for tuition. About 50% are athletes and the rest are your typical college students who are involved in a variety of other activities on campus.

Zane

Mercyhurst is in the category of small school, which is something that appealed to me when looking for schools. It has a great campus and its very pleasant to just walk around and enjoy the day. The campus is small and it doesn't take long to get from one place to another, for me this campus is the perfect fit! so far the classes seem interesting and I have taken a lot out of them, but haven't been too busy that I haven't been able to enjoy every day. One thing that makes this school unique is that its on trimesters meaning shorter terms but fewer classes honestly this is one of the best things about the school in my opinion.

There are tons of activities to do during the day here, there is a REC center, many clubs and organizations to be involved with and so much more. the only thing that I can think of that we don't have is a swimming pool. Every weekend there are events put on my SAC (Student Activities Council) or MSG (Mercyhurst Student Government). These events can be dances, comedians, movies, fear factor challenges or anything really! For Freshman There is one week called Welcome Week that is planned full of events for people to meet new friends, thats where I met my amazing new friends! There are always things to do here but honestly it gets old after awhile and the events are awesome but they don't last long and there is lots of down time!

Mercyhurst is a private Catholic college and therefore religion is visible here. During "Welcome Week" there were several things that were religion based but not overwhelming. personally I have never really attended church much and still don't and feel comfortable here. Part of the core classes are religion based but I haven't taken any of those yet. Most students can be found studying in a lounge somewhere during the day or in their room if you prefer the privacy. Honestly Mercyhurst seems like a High School except you live here, you go to class, and then study but then you spend all your free time with friends that you have made, people seem pretty welcoming to making new friends but of course there are always exceptions.

To me Mercyhurst seems like a larger scale version of High School. The classes are fairly small and the professor will eventually know your name (usually within the first 2 weeks but depends on the professor) The school is very focused on academics and that comes first with everything. People get together and form study groups to study for finals and other tests. I am currently a freshman in my second term here so its hard to talk about how my major is since I haven't really taken my major courses yet. So far If i see a professor outside of class they recognize me and we talk for a minute but its not like we are best pals yet.

Kevin

The best thing about Mercyhurst College is the small school atmosphere. The small school atmosphere benefits students both socially and academically. In regards to benefiting socially, you meet many great people and form great relationships with friends and faculty. In regards to benefiting academically, small class sizes really allows your opinions and thoughts to be heard to both classmates and professors. Many professors have an open door policy and are more than willing to assist students with anything they need. There are also numerous clubs and organizations throughout the College. Everyone has the opportunity to get involved in some way. There are always events being held on campus that allows all students to participate and have fun. There are also numerous athletic teams at Mercyhurst College, so there is also a athletic event to attend and cheer on. Housing and food service is above average. Both provide students with flexible options, which allow student's to make housing and meal plan decisions based on their own desires. The city of Erie itself offers a lot to students. Downtown Erie is home to plenty restaurants and bars for those interested in the city's nightlife.

One stereotype that exists regarding Mercyhurst College, both inside and outside the college, is the stereotype regarding students' financial situation. Because the tuition is rather high, people assume every student at Mercyhurst comes from a family of money. This is simply not true. Many students receive scholarships and financial aid of some sort. Another stereotype that exists within Mercyhurst College surrounds the athletes. Students feel some athletes on certain athletic teams get "special treatment" from professors. The only "special treatment" I know of is in regards to athletes and professors communicating about the athlete's travel schedule and how it will affect their attendance in class.

There are a wide variety of students at Mercyhurst College. There are students from all over the United States and all over the world. Everyone is nice and always willing to help out new students in terms of directions and identifying buildings. Mercyhurst College, like all colleges, has students that would be described as the nerds, the athletes, the party-ers, the artists, etc. This gives the opportunity to interact and meet new people outside of your comfort zone.

The academics at Meryhurst College are top notch. Being a Business student, I can attest to the quality of the Business Department. Professors know students by name and often have one-on-one conversations simply to enjoy each other's company. Class sizes are small which allow interaction with professors. If a student is having trouble in class, the professor's door is open to seek extra help. The courses I have taken, from 101 classes to the more advanced classes, have always provided me with skills I can walk away with and know I can apply these skills outside Mercyhurst College.

Jeremy

Mercyhurst is not just a place for higher education, it is a community. While the college is located in Erie, Pa., a relatively large city, a sense of home and community is the first thing I felt while attending Mercyhurst. The small class sizes make learning a personal and private experience. This being said, we are not too small that you feel trapped. One of my favorite things about the college is the amount of snow we get. I'll never forget the massive snowball fights I had freshman year at Mercyhurst. The college is just the right amount of everything in my opinion, and is exactly what I wanted, and dreamed of when deciding where to attend.

At Mercyhurst, students are given a direct one on one style of education. We have relatively small class sizes; the largest I ever had was a class of 35 students. I once had a class with four students in it. My major is Political Science, and this is one of the many departments that prides themselves on getting to know their students. Every term the professors organize a dinner, and students are welcomed to meet and eat with their professors. It's nice to see professors taking extra steps to get to know their students. Many of our majors are very well known like Dance, Archeology, Forensic Science, and Intelligence Studies. We have great facilities that are always open to students to take full advantage of.

The students of Mercyhurst are a mixed bunch for sure, but in essence I would say that many are from an affluent background. Many of my friends attended private schooling institutions before pursuing a degree at Mercyhurst. I would say that a wide majority of students are privileged. However, this being said, not everyone fits into the category, or has to. Mercyhurst is a great place for many people of all types of backgrounds, cultures, and upbringings.

Meghan

Mercyhurst College has been a place of comfort for me. I feel that through all of the opportunities inside and outside of the classroom, Mercyhurst has given me the ability to grow as a leader, friend and career woman. The best thing about Mercyhurst is the friendly atmosphere that is not only noticed when a stranger holds the door for you, or when a teacher you do not know says hello, but throughout the whole campus.

As a student at Mercyhurst, we are exposed to over 80 clubs and organizations we can be a part of. I am currently involoved with Mercyhurst Student Government, Student Ambassadors, Student Activities Council and the Leadership Certification Program. I do not believe there is a set "popular" student activity/group because there is a lot of collaboration among groups to create a better campus activity atmosphere.

Students at Mercyhurst are open and accepting to others who may not fit the same demographics as one another. We have a very diversified campus which is exciting. I have learned a lot about other cultures and religions during my time here and do not take for granted how much diversity I am exposed to. Students all understand that there is no definition of "perfection" or "right vs. wrong" so everyone is accepting and open with one another.

For me, academics are at a level in which I feel challenged but also confident. The professors go above and beyond to ensure I am understanding the material that is being presented to me. For example, during a history class, my professor said "You can Google dates of major events, so I am going to help you understand and connect the importance of that major event." All of my classes are interactive and engaging. In my Business classes, I have been exposed to many real-world projects which has help me understand the profession I will be entering, but has also helped me to develop a portfolio to assist me during job interviews. Academics at Mercyhurst are very engaging.

I feel that there is not a strong seterotype presence on campus. Of course it is more common to see students of the same major or on the same sports team often together, but because they have developed a friendship based on similiarities, not based on their "title." I believe many students would feel comfortable making/having friends that fit in all types of stereotypes.

Courtney

Competitive, caring, humorous, down-to-earth, understanding, helpful, loyal.

Competitive, caring, humorous, down-to-earth, understanding, helpful, loyal.

Balance more academic life versus the social life. Be more involved with activities, clubs, and events on campus. Make more friends than the huge amount you already have.

I would tell myself, settle down. I am a very fast paced person, everything needs to be done as soon as possible. This frustrates me about myself, and I think that it also can get in the way of my social life, as well as academic success. Reassurring myself the world isn't going to end if I don't do a paper right now, would have really been helpful and decreased my stress levels significantly. I think letting myslef know that everything happens for a reason would also be important. Things happens, bad test grades, bad break-ups, friends transfer, you don't get a job or internship you wanted, but in the end things will work out, and probably for the best.

I think I would have liked to know a little more about clubs and intermurlas on campus.

I think that the most frustrating thing would be the parking.

Mercyhurst University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.