Erie, PA
Mercyhurst University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercyhurst University

Jenna

Mercyhurst is a great close knit campus. It's small and everyone becomes a familiar face. This also means that everyone knows everyone's business. If you don't know a person directly here, you more than likely know their roommate or boyfriend or something. We live in a pretty decent part of Erie, it could always be right in the city which I don't think I would like better. We're close to a pretty good mall, tons of shopping centers, and just about every chain restaurant you can think of. Erie's weather is sometimes a pretty big bummer though, when it snows, it snows. We have winter about 7 months out of the year, which is pretty depressing! I'm kind of biased when it comes to weekend activities because I hold a position on our Student Activities Council board. We put on events every Friday and Saturday that are free of charge to students. Events vary from comedians, singers, magicians, to build-a-bear and there's always free food. We also plan with the Student Government a huge end of year spring concert we call Spring Fest, we bring in a fairly well known band and have day activities. It's a signature Mercyhurst memory that every student should experience at least once. I love that at Mercyhurst you can never say "There isn't anything to do." We also have a Laker Spirit Club that goes out to sporting events to get the spirit going, but unfortunately, it doesn't really draw a crowd. There are still tons of Laker fans out there at the games cheering on our athletes. Another one of my favorite things about Mercyhurst is that after your freshman year on campus, you no longer live in a traditional dorm room. Sophomores and upperclassmen get to move into apartments or have the choice to move off of campus. Though the apartments are a little dated (some back to the 50s!) it's kind of cool to get a place with your friends with a kitchen, living room, bathroom, and two bedrooms.

Athletes are definitely a large percentage of the population at Mercyhurst. Most teams practice together, eat together, and live together. Certain teams go off campus and rent houses, which I feel replaces the "frat house" thing. We don't have a Greek life here so there's no rush or pledge week. We are a huge hockey school. That is one sporting event that truly does draw a crowd. There is a pretty good following after the Student Activities Council. They host events every Friday and Saturday from about 9 p.m. until 12 a.m. They have things like movie nights, dance parties, food events, and comedians. I am heavily involved in this club and enjoy it very much. From an outsider perspective, students probably regularly "go out" on the weekends. Mercyhurst has a neighboring bar down the street that is Mercyhurst themed and students tend to hang out at. They have karaoke, a dance floor, and pretty decent food during the day. Erie is also known for State Street which is a street of bars that students can be found at night.

There is a pretty decent mix on campus. There is a great variety of international students from all over the world. I promise by the time you get through one year at Mercyhurst, you'll have interacted with at least one person from another culture. There is a strong campus ministry and multicultural organization on campus too. They are really there for students who may be LGBT, of a less common religion, struggling with emotional problems, or students just trying to find a way to get involved. Though some might argue that Mercyhurst is a predominately Caucasian campus, there are definitely African Americans, Hispanics, Asian etc. students present. And most students, but not all, are Christian.

Since Mercyhurst is such a small campus with about 3,000 undergrads, professors can establish a good student relationship with various students. It is a liberal arts institution so the common core pushes students to take classes outside of there intended major. Like art appreciation classes, sciences, literature, and languages. This makes all Mercyhurst alum really well-rounded professionals in my opinion.

Mercyhurst students tend to earn the private school "rich kid" stereotype. While some students may fit that description, most of us are not paying the full sticker price for tuition. About 50% are athletes and the rest are your typical college students who are involved in a variety of other activities on campus.

Zane

Mercyhurst is in the category of small school, which is something that appealed to me when looking for schools. It has a great campus and its very pleasant to just walk around and enjoy the day. The campus is small and it doesn't take long to get from one place to another, for me this campus is the perfect fit! so far the classes seem interesting and I have taken a lot out of them, but haven't been too busy that I haven't been able to enjoy every day. One thing that makes this school unique is that its on trimesters meaning shorter terms but fewer classes honestly this is one of the best things about the school in my opinion.

There are tons of activities to do during the day here, there is a REC center, many clubs and organizations to be involved with and so much more. the only thing that I can think of that we don't have is a swimming pool. Every weekend there are events put on my SAC (Student Activities Council) or MSG (Mercyhurst Student Government). These events can be dances, comedians, movies, fear factor challenges or anything really! For Freshman There is one week called Welcome Week that is planned full of events for people to meet new friends, thats where I met my amazing new friends! There are always things to do here but honestly it gets old after awhile and the events are awesome but they don't last long and there is lots of down time!

Mercyhurst is a private Catholic college and therefore religion is visible here. During "Welcome Week" there were several things that were religion based but not overwhelming. personally I have never really attended church much and still don't and feel comfortable here. Part of the core classes are religion based but I haven't taken any of those yet. Most students can be found studying in a lounge somewhere during the day or in their room if you prefer the privacy. Honestly Mercyhurst seems like a High School except you live here, you go to class, and then study but then you spend all your free time with friends that you have made, people seem pretty welcoming to making new friends but of course there are always exceptions.

To me Mercyhurst seems like a larger scale version of High School. The classes are fairly small and the professor will eventually know your name (usually within the first 2 weeks but depends on the professor) The school is very focused on academics and that comes first with everything. People get together and form study groups to study for finals and other tests. I am currently a freshman in my second term here so its hard to talk about how my major is since I haven't really taken my major courses yet. So far If i see a professor outside of class they recognize me and we talk for a minute but its not like we are best pals yet.

Kevin

The best thing about Mercyhurst College is the small school atmosphere. The small school atmosphere benefits students both socially and academically. In regards to benefiting socially, you meet many great people and form great relationships with friends and faculty. In regards to benefiting academically, small class sizes really allows your opinions and thoughts to be heard to both classmates and professors. Many professors have an open door policy and are more than willing to assist students with anything they need. There are also numerous clubs and organizations throughout the College. Everyone has the opportunity to get involved in some way. There are always events being held on campus that allows all students to participate and have fun. There are also numerous athletic teams at Mercyhurst College, so there is also a athletic event to attend and cheer on. Housing and food service is above average. Both provide students with flexible options, which allow student's to make housing and meal plan decisions based on their own desires. The city of Erie itself offers a lot to students. Downtown Erie is home to plenty restaurants and bars for those interested in the city's nightlife.

One stereotype that exists regarding Mercyhurst College, both inside and outside the college, is the stereotype regarding students' financial situation. Because the tuition is rather high, people assume every student at Mercyhurst comes from a family of money. This is simply not true. Many students receive scholarships and financial aid of some sort. Another stereotype that exists within Mercyhurst College surrounds the athletes. Students feel some athletes on certain athletic teams get "special treatment" from professors. The only "special treatment" I know of is in regards to athletes and professors communicating about the athlete's travel schedule and how it will affect their attendance in class.

There are a wide variety of students at Mercyhurst College. There are students from all over the United States and all over the world. Everyone is nice and always willing to help out new students in terms of directions and identifying buildings. Mercyhurst College, like all colleges, has students that would be described as the nerds, the athletes, the party-ers, the artists, etc. This gives the opportunity to interact and meet new people outside of your comfort zone.

The academics at Meryhurst College are top notch. Being a Business student, I can attest to the quality of the Business Department. Professors know students by name and often have one-on-one conversations simply to enjoy each other's company. Class sizes are small which allow interaction with professors. If a student is having trouble in class, the professor's door is open to seek extra help. The courses I have taken, from 101 classes to the more advanced classes, have always provided me with skills I can walk away with and know I can apply these skills outside Mercyhurst College.

Jeremy

Mercyhurst is not just a place for higher education, it is a community. While the college is located in Erie, Pa., a relatively large city, a sense of home and community is the first thing I felt while attending Mercyhurst. The small class sizes make learning a personal and private experience. This being said, we are not too small that you feel trapped. One of my favorite things about the college is the amount of snow we get. I'll never forget the massive snowball fights I had freshman year at Mercyhurst. The college is just the right amount of everything in my opinion, and is exactly what I wanted, and dreamed of when deciding where to attend.

At Mercyhurst, students are given a direct one on one style of education. We have relatively small class sizes; the largest I ever had was a class of 35 students. I once had a class with four students in it. My major is Political Science, and this is one of the many departments that prides themselves on getting to know their students. Every term the professors organize a dinner, and students are welcomed to meet and eat with their professors. It's nice to see professors taking extra steps to get to know their students. Many of our majors are very well known like Dance, Archeology, Forensic Science, and Intelligence Studies. We have great facilities that are always open to students to take full advantage of.

The students of Mercyhurst are a mixed bunch for sure, but in essence I would say that many are from an affluent background. Many of my friends attended private schooling institutions before pursuing a degree at Mercyhurst. I would say that a wide majority of students are privileged. However, this being said, not everyone fits into the category, or has to. Mercyhurst is a great place for many people of all types of backgrounds, cultures, and upbringings.

Meghan

Mercyhurst College has been a place of comfort for me. I feel that through all of the opportunities inside and outside of the classroom, Mercyhurst has given me the ability to grow as a leader, friend and career woman. The best thing about Mercyhurst is the friendly atmosphere that is not only noticed when a stranger holds the door for you, or when a teacher you do not know says hello, but throughout the whole campus.

As a student at Mercyhurst, we are exposed to over 80 clubs and organizations we can be a part of. I am currently involoved with Mercyhurst Student Government, Student Ambassadors, Student Activities Council and the Leadership Certification Program. I do not believe there is a set "popular" student activity/group because there is a lot of collaboration among groups to create a better campus activity atmosphere.

Students at Mercyhurst are open and accepting to others who may not fit the same demographics as one another. We have a very diversified campus which is exciting. I have learned a lot about other cultures and religions during my time here and do not take for granted how much diversity I am exposed to. Students all understand that there is no definition of "perfection" or "right vs. wrong" so everyone is accepting and open with one another.

For me, academics are at a level in which I feel challenged but also confident. The professors go above and beyond to ensure I am understanding the material that is being presented to me. For example, during a history class, my professor said "You can Google dates of major events, so I am going to help you understand and connect the importance of that major event." All of my classes are interactive and engaging. In my Business classes, I have been exposed to many real-world projects which has help me understand the profession I will be entering, but has also helped me to develop a portfolio to assist me during job interviews. Academics at Mercyhurst are very engaging.

I feel that there is not a strong seterotype presence on campus. Of course it is more common to see students of the same major or on the same sports team often together, but because they have developed a friendship based on similiarities, not based on their "title." I believe many students would feel comfortable making/having friends that fit in all types of stereotypes.

Courtney

Competitive, caring, humorous, down-to-earth, understanding, helpful, loyal.

Competitive, caring, humorous, down-to-earth, understanding, helpful, loyal.

Balance more academic life versus the social life. Be more involved with activities, clubs, and events on campus. Make more friends than the huge amount you already have.

I would tell myself, settle down. I am a very fast paced person, everything needs to be done as soon as possible. This frustrates me about myself, and I think that it also can get in the way of my social life, as well as academic success. Reassurring myself the world isn't going to end if I don't do a paper right now, would have really been helpful and decreased my stress levels significantly. I think letting myslef know that everything happens for a reason would also be important. Things happens, bad test grades, bad break-ups, friends transfer, you don't get a job or internship you wanted, but in the end things will work out, and probably for the best.

I think I would have liked to know a little more about clubs and intermurlas on campus.

I think that the most frustrating thing would be the parking.

Michelle

Well-rounded, open-minded, friendly individuals

Well-rounded, open-minded, friendly individuals

Has a lot of majors that aren't seen in most other schools such as dance and anthropology

It is important to keep in mind that everyone is different when it comes to the transition from high school to college and college life itself. Starting off strong academically is key but so is making friends; get involved in campus clubs, activities, sports, etc. Take the initiative to get involved even if you do not know anyone. Find the right group of friends both in your major to keep you on track with academics, and outside of your major to keep you sane. Your friends will help your overall well being, especially as a transitioning freshman. Be careful not to let your social life get in the way of your academics; it is much easier to let your GPA drop than it is to try to raise it. Stay motivated with your schoolwork and develop relationships with your professors letting them see that you care about class material/ school. If you are struggling academically or even socially they can lend a hand or at least point you in the right direction towards help. College life and the transition into it can be tough but you need to remind yourself that everyone is going/ has gone through the same thing!

Mercyhurst College is known for it's small, gorgeous campus, outstanding academics, individual attention given in the classroom, and excellent hockey team. The most acclaimed programs on campus would probably be the Dance and Intelligence Studies programs. However, all of the academics are challenging. Also, our on-campus housing is excellent, and, after the freshman year, students live on apartments on campus.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it is okay to ask for help. When I first came to campus, I had difficulty making friends, which was a problem I had never encountered before. I considered leaving Mercyhurst because I was so unhappy. My mom convinced me to go talk to an on-campus counselor. At first I was ashamed, but talking with the counselor really helped. I now have a great group of friends who I hang out with all the time. I would tell the high school version of me that it's okay to feel sad and miss home, but it is important to ask for help. I would also tell myself that you cannot force yourself into a group of friends and, if you are patient, a fantastic group of people will enter your life and change it for the better.

I brag most about my dorm. My dorm building is only one year old and is in great condition. The rooms are larger than the rooms at most colleges, and we have air conditioning. Best of all, we have our own bathrooms that we only have to share with one roommate!

Jesse

This Highschool is like a glorified Highschool

This Highschool is like a glorified Highschool

Highschool atmosphere.

I would choose a different school

classes are small and the teachers will know your name if you put in time with them. Overall class and test are very easy

Nothing to do in erie and downtown is to dangerous to be in.

This School is dominated by jocks. The hockey team is the only D1 team and are not the nicest people. This college is just like a highschool in terms of stereotypes.

Mercyhurst University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.