Erie, PA
Mercyhurst University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercyhurst University

Heather

Very small, somewhat carreer frustrating, and overwhelming.

Very small, somewhat carreer frustrating, and overwhelming.

My main focus would be making sure that every major decision is made cautiously. I enjoy the independent liftstyle at college, but you really grow up fast. Researching schools and scholarships is very important. For some reason there is never enough money to go to school. I also wish I could've known more about myself as of what I wanted to be in life. Being very open minded with carreer choices can really confused you. Don't take on more than you can't handle.

You shouldn't attend this school if you aren't sure what you want to do in life, or you will be behind or end up paying more than you wanted.

I know that Mercyhurst College is well known for its Learning Differnece Program. Mercyhurst is also know for some of its academic programs like Art Theary and Archeology. In terms of sports Mercyhurst is known for hockey, espcailly the Women's Hockey team who is Division I and ranked #1 Nationally.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition there would be a few points of advice I would give myself. First I think I would have to say do not worry so much about the future, you do not have to have the rest of your life planned out before you go to college. Enjoy the time you have left in high schoool but be exceited to start college and something new. Be opened to new ideas and people, get out and join clubs and get to know as many people as you can. College is a lot of work but it should also be fun and one of the best times of your life and it starts to go by fast. Always remember too that anything is possible and follow your dreams.

The kind of person that should attend Mercyhurst College is someone who is looking for a smaller sized school that is close knit with an excellent curriculum. Someone who prefers Tri-mesters instead of semesters. A bonus is that Mercyhurst has an excellent Learning Differences Program if a student needs it. Someone who doesnt mind the snow on its beautiful campus.

Alaina

This is a particularly easy question for me to answer, because I remember my exact mindset as a senior in high school: relax and get out! I only took one AP test although I had taken three AP courses, and I only took one class at a local university when I could have taken more. When I got to college, I quickly enrolled in a double major of Journalism (Communications) and Spanish. I love to write and I love the Spanish language, so this was a no brainer for me. However, with the heavy liberal arts focus at this school and the high number of required courses, I am finding it difficult to graduate on time with a double major. And as I have no desire to be at Mercyhurst College any longer than I have to, (I want to go to graduate school and achieve my doctorate), it is of the utmost importance for me to graduate on time. So, in answer to the question, in high school I would have taken more AP tests and university classes in order to come to college with as many credits as possible.

The worst thing about my school has to be the housing. The apartments are extremely old and breaking down. We still have radiators and they don't shut off. Some of the apartments even have mold in them. Second to this is the college's inability/lack of caring to take care of the problem. They barely fix anything, and when they do it is always a bad job. (For example, all they did was paint over the mold, they didn't actually get rid of it.)

There really is no kind of person that shouldn't attend this school. It is great for everyone. Although my first response was someone who wanted to go to a big city for school and get away from their home town, this is what I thought I wanted to do and I ended up staying in my hometown, and I have no regrets about this.

The advice I would give to myself if I were still in high school would be: work hard, because when you get to college, the demands of the classes are so much more. Get involved in many different things so that you have alot of experience in different situations that will help you in your classes and programs. I would also tell myself to try a variety of things and programs in college because there are so many new people to meet, things to do and be a part of, at least by trying them out you can see what you really like, and make good friends too. Making new friends is very important because they help you through the hard times and the stress. Making the transition to living with a roommate and moving far from home was hard too, and I would advise myself to be patient and flexible . I would also be sure to get a larger freezer to keep ice cream in for the really tough days! Last but not least I would tell myself that although you have to work hard, you need time to have fun , relax and rest your brain.

My school is large enough to offer many different programs of study, but small enough to make it comfortable, so you know everyone there. My school believes in community service, arts and strong academics, which makes it a great environment for learning. The campus is beautiful and the community is great. Of all the schools I visited, this is the one that seemed to have something for everyone, as well as a great reputation for excellent professors and programs. It is also a school with values and integrity, and they expect that theie students will also have those qualities.

This is not a school for the student that wants to party and goof around alot, the academics are intense and the courses are demanding. So if you want to blow off classes and just have fun, this is not the right setting for you> There are alot of activities and organizations of a huderd kinds, so if you don't like getting involved in your school community, this may not be the best choice for you either.

Ashlee

I think that what is unique about my school is that it is a smaller campus so everyone pretty much knows everyone and it comes in handy a lot. especially when trying to figure out which professor I should take for any given class.

Knowing what I know now I would tell myself to choose my friend very carefully because being with the wrong people can make you not able to be yourself. I would also tell myself that studying is probably the best way to go and not get books from the bookstore because they cost too much, order them online. I would also tell myself to be move involed in on campus activites and organizations because they really are fun and worth it.

Marissa

If I could go back to when I was a senior making my college decision I would tell myself to slow down and check out several schools. Choosing a college shouldn?t be a fast process. You need to scope out the campus, check out financial aid and see whether or not you can make it work. I had my heart set on Mercyhurst College just from looking at it online. Never, base your decision on just what the internet has to show you. That was my biggest mistake. By putting this idea in my head prior to visiting the school there seemed to be no other option. However, after my first trimester, I came to realize that this school wasn?t for me. It?s not that I don?t like Mercyhurst, the location and size just aren?t ideal for me. I do like the small class sizes and my major department but I can find schools with these elements elsewhere. Basically I would have told myself to keep an open mind and not shut other schools out. One might look like the perfect fit, but in the end it might not be what you had hoped for.

I wish I had known the return rate of students. When I came for an overnight visit, everything seemed so wonderful. However, now that I am actually here I find it to be much different than that day I came to visit. I should have gotten all the facts about the school rather than just base my decision on one night. I should have asked more questions and talked to more people.

The worst thing about my school is that I feel trapped. Freshmen are not permitted to have cars, so your only means of transportation are upper classmen or the bus system. Also, ResLife can be a pain because they tend to take privledges away without warning and for silly reasons. They still view us as "children." So basically you are stuck in your dorm with no visitation which makes it seem like a prison.

Casey

My classmates are very interested and driven.

My classmates are very interested and driven.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to listen to others' opinions about my future, but remember that it is ultimately my decision. You cannot always please everyone, and a huge decision like choosing a college is one instance where you have to think of yourself first. Also, make sure you take advantage of any opportunities in your desired field before entering college, because experience will give you a competitive edge. Finally, leave enough time for both academics and social life. You won't be happy studying all the time, and you won't be happy partying all the time. You need to discover a smart balance between the two, which will ultimately lead you to a career and lifelong friendships.

Alanna

Younger, trendy and half serious. Mostly caucasian, probably priveledged.

Younger, trendy and half serious. Mostly caucasian, probably priveledged.

I would tell myself not to worry about all the small things that bother teenagers so much, and to let go of all the small upsets that stole so much of my energy back then. None of those concerns matter even a year or two down the road. I would also reiterate how important it is to concentrate on school, because not doing your best in High school sets you up for greater difficulty down the road of life. It is so easy at that age to get sidetracked, or not to take things seriously, when even a little bit of seriousness as a High School Senior allows one to enjoy the experience of the last year of high school and set one on the path for success as an adult.

Sometimes the level 100 classes teachers take their classes far too seriously. For example, "art appreciation' turns into 'Art history from an anthropological perspective"

Bonnie

Mercyhurst is a small town community college that happens to run a first rate, technologicaly advanced group of programs in it's facilities.

I quit school before I made it to senior year, but if I could talk to myself before I quit school, I'd tell myself that there's a big, big world out there and that there are untold numbers of possibilities if I just work for them. I'd also tell myself not to waste the years I did and that education is the key to a new and different life. I'd tell myself not to get caught up in what I think I can and can't do, but instead make the attempts and see where they take you. Nothing is ever accomplished in life by avoiding experiences just to avoid possible failure.

Someone who is highly motivated and able to see beyond the obstacles to the light at the end of the tunnel. My school is kind of quirky and has a definite community college feel, so if a person needs the small town feel to go with their first rate education, Mercyhurst is the place to be.

Get to know as many people as you can off the bat while you are all still generalized. As your major becomes more intense and specific, it will be more difficult to create new friendships with people not in your major. Also, going out on friday nights will not kill you- you deserve to destress occasionally. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT- don't try to take on more than you can handle. Bring good snowboots- the salt on the sidewalks of erie will destroy all of your shoes.

The small size makes it very easy to get involved, and allows students to form relationships with teachers. Teachers and staff really care about students, and every one waves hello to everyone

someone not motivated or focused enough to maintain focus on classwork. The intensity of the shorter terms leads to increased workloads. Losing focus would make it impossible to do well in classes

Mercyhurst University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.