Erie, PA
Mercyhurst University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercyhurst University

The advice I would give to myself if I were still in high school would be: work hard, because when you get to college, the demands of the classes are so much more. Get involved in many different things so that you have alot of experience in different situations that will help you in your classes and programs. I would also tell myself to try a variety of things and programs in college because there are so many new people to meet, things to do and be a part of, at least by trying them out you can see what you really like, and make good friends too. Making new friends is very important because they help you through the hard times and the stress. Making the transition to living with a roommate and moving far from home was hard too, and I would advise myself to be patient and flexible . I would also be sure to get a larger freezer to keep ice cream in for the really tough days! Last but not least I would tell myself that although you have to work hard, you need time to have fun , relax and rest your brain.

My school is large enough to offer many different programs of study, but small enough to make it comfortable, so you know everyone there. My school believes in community service, arts and strong academics, which makes it a great environment for learning. The campus is beautiful and the community is great. Of all the schools I visited, this is the one that seemed to have something for everyone, as well as a great reputation for excellent professors and programs. It is also a school with values and integrity, and they expect that theie students will also have those qualities.

This is not a school for the student that wants to party and goof around alot, the academics are intense and the courses are demanding. So if you want to blow off classes and just have fun, this is not the right setting for you> There are alot of activities and organizations of a huderd kinds, so if you don't like getting involved in your school community, this may not be the best choice for you either.

Ashlee

I think that what is unique about my school is that it is a smaller campus so everyone pretty much knows everyone and it comes in handy a lot. especially when trying to figure out which professor I should take for any given class.

Knowing what I know now I would tell myself to choose my friend very carefully because being with the wrong people can make you not able to be yourself. I would also tell myself that studying is probably the best way to go and not get books from the bookstore because they cost too much, order them online. I would also tell myself to be move involed in on campus activites and organizations because they really are fun and worth it.

Marissa

If I could go back to when I was a senior making my college decision I would tell myself to slow down and check out several schools. Choosing a college shouldn?t be a fast process. You need to scope out the campus, check out financial aid and see whether or not you can make it work. I had my heart set on Mercyhurst College just from looking at it online. Never, base your decision on just what the internet has to show you. That was my biggest mistake. By putting this idea in my head prior to visiting the school there seemed to be no other option. However, after my first trimester, I came to realize that this school wasn?t for me. It?s not that I don?t like Mercyhurst, the location and size just aren?t ideal for me. I do like the small class sizes and my major department but I can find schools with these elements elsewhere. Basically I would have told myself to keep an open mind and not shut other schools out. One might look like the perfect fit, but in the end it might not be what you had hoped for.

I wish I had known the return rate of students. When I came for an overnight visit, everything seemed so wonderful. However, now that I am actually here I find it to be much different than that day I came to visit. I should have gotten all the facts about the school rather than just base my decision on one night. I should have asked more questions and talked to more people.

The worst thing about my school is that I feel trapped. Freshmen are not permitted to have cars, so your only means of transportation are upper classmen or the bus system. Also, ResLife can be a pain because they tend to take privledges away without warning and for silly reasons. They still view us as "children." So basically you are stuck in your dorm with no visitation which makes it seem like a prison.

Casey

My classmates are very interested and driven.

My classmates are very interested and driven.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to listen to others' opinions about my future, but remember that it is ultimately my decision. You cannot always please everyone, and a huge decision like choosing a college is one instance where you have to think of yourself first. Also, make sure you take advantage of any opportunities in your desired field before entering college, because experience will give you a competitive edge. Finally, leave enough time for both academics and social life. You won't be happy studying all the time, and you won't be happy partying all the time. You need to discover a smart balance between the two, which will ultimately lead you to a career and lifelong friendships.

Alanna

Younger, trendy and half serious. Mostly caucasian, probably priveledged.

Younger, trendy and half serious. Mostly caucasian, probably priveledged.

I would tell myself not to worry about all the small things that bother teenagers so much, and to let go of all the small upsets that stole so much of my energy back then. None of those concerns matter even a year or two down the road. I would also reiterate how important it is to concentrate on school, because not doing your best in High school sets you up for greater difficulty down the road of life. It is so easy at that age to get sidetracked, or not to take things seriously, when even a little bit of seriousness as a High School Senior allows one to enjoy the experience of the last year of high school and set one on the path for success as an adult.

Sometimes the level 100 classes teachers take their classes far too seriously. For example, "art appreciation' turns into 'Art history from an anthropological perspective"

Bonnie

Mercyhurst is a small town community college that happens to run a first rate, technologicaly advanced group of programs in it's facilities.

I quit school before I made it to senior year, but if I could talk to myself before I quit school, I'd tell myself that there's a big, big world out there and that there are untold numbers of possibilities if I just work for them. I'd also tell myself not to waste the years I did and that education is the key to a new and different life. I'd tell myself not to get caught up in what I think I can and can't do, but instead make the attempts and see where they take you. Nothing is ever accomplished in life by avoiding experiences just to avoid possible failure.

Someone who is highly motivated and able to see beyond the obstacles to the light at the end of the tunnel. My school is kind of quirky and has a definite community college feel, so if a person needs the small town feel to go with their first rate education, Mercyhurst is the place to be.

Get to know as many people as you can off the bat while you are all still generalized. As your major becomes more intense and specific, it will be more difficult to create new friendships with people not in your major. Also, going out on friday nights will not kill you- you deserve to destress occasionally. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT- don't try to take on more than you can handle. Bring good snowboots- the salt on the sidewalks of erie will destroy all of your shoes.

The small size makes it very easy to get involved, and allows students to form relationships with teachers. Teachers and staff really care about students, and every one waves hello to everyone

someone not motivated or focused enough to maintain focus on classwork. The intensity of the shorter terms leads to increased workloads. Losing focus would make it impossible to do well in classes

Ann

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself that college is going to bring good times and new experiences, but also bad friends, stressful late nights studying, and hardships. The best way to handle the ups and downs of college is to never forget those back home, and to learn to earn trust from the new people that you meet. Never trust people too easily, because those who you think you trust may be the ones to turn around and stab you in the back. Its those who are always there for you no matter how bad you treat them who you need to rely on. Also, don't take things personally. The professors are there to help you, not to make you feel bad about yourself. They only want to tell you what you're doing wrong now before your boss does and humiliates you in front of your colleagues. Finally, trust yourself. Although you may fall down, trust yourself to get back up and accomplish your goals, because with hard work anything is possible.

I believe the worst thing at our school is our lack of diversity. We have many foreign students, however, they mostly hang out with each other and no one else. It goes the same for the white kids, it is as if we don't want to learn about different cultures or lifestyles. I think if Mercyhurst allowed better ways for the different races to interact, diversity would greatly improve.

I brag about the amount of opportunities Mercyhurst offers its students. Although it is a smaller school, there are a lot of different and interesting majors to choose from, and there are a lot of extra-cirricular activies and clubs to participate in. Mercyhurst is like a small community where I can feel at home and learn things I would not be able to learn at other colleges.

Lindsey

Mercyhurst is a diverse, Catholic-heritage college that specializes in unique and demanding majors (dance, music, archaeology, anthropology, intelligence studies, forensic science, etc.) with a special focus on the arts and culture.

I would first give myself a hug and a reminder that everything is going to be okay. Then I would get myself excited about college life with stories about the wonderful friendships, the late-night conversations, the dances, the laughter and fun, the camaraderie of people all going through the same things, and the honor and humility in the knowledge that I'm blessed to be attending this school. I would remind myself that not everyone has this privilege, and although it is often extremely difficult, the result is well worth it. I would tell myself not to stress out so much about not knowing what the future holds, because soon enough I would learn that is fine and it makes life all the more an adventure. I would say that it is okay to cry, and it is also okay to sometimes fail, as long as you pick yourself up and keep going. I would tell myself to hold fast and steady, because there is a lot ahead that will challenge me in ways I couldn't imagine. And after I told myself all of this, I would smile, knowing full well that the best is yet to come.

Someone who lacks the motivation to work very hard academically.

Mercyhurst is unique because of the small class sizes and the student to professor ratio. I also love Merchurst because it is close to home and has one of the best fashion merchandising programs around. The faculty is helpful and eager to assist students with all their academic situations. Not only does the small campus allow for a better academic environment but you also form better relationships with your fellow students.

As a high school senior I remember hearing all the time that time management is the one thing that will make the transition from high school to college easier. If I could go back in time I would take that advice more seriously. Now I know that it is vital to my success in college to manage my time between school, work, and homework. As a freshman I never realized how dificult that was, and now I completely understand. I would also tell myself to start better study habits then. When you get to college the work load is significantly more, and if you do not have good study skills you will not perform as well. Unfortunately, I had to learn this lesson the hard way, but it is one I will never forget.

At Merchurst I find the administration to be dificult to work with, especially the financial aid department. I have spoken to several other students and they agree with me. My financial aid advisor rarely returns my phone calls or emails, and after my dad lost his job the school did nothing to help us out financially after making my family fill out numerous forms and assuring us that something could be done.

Mercyhurst University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.