Erie, PA
Mercyhurst University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercyhurst University

Bonnie

Mercyhurst is a small town community college that happens to run a first rate, technologicaly advanced group of programs in it's facilities.

I quit school before I made it to senior year, but if I could talk to myself before I quit school, I'd tell myself that there's a big, big world out there and that there are untold numbers of possibilities if I just work for them. I'd also tell myself not to waste the years I did and that education is the key to a new and different life. I'd tell myself not to get caught up in what I think I can and can't do, but instead make the attempts and see where they take you. Nothing is ever accomplished in life by avoiding experiences just to avoid possible failure.

Someone who is highly motivated and able to see beyond the obstacles to the light at the end of the tunnel. My school is kind of quirky and has a definite community college feel, so if a person needs the small town feel to go with their first rate education, Mercyhurst is the place to be.

Get to know as many people as you can off the bat while you are all still generalized. As your major becomes more intense and specific, it will be more difficult to create new friendships with people not in your major. Also, going out on friday nights will not kill you- you deserve to destress occasionally. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT- don't try to take on more than you can handle. Bring good snowboots- the salt on the sidewalks of erie will destroy all of your shoes.

The small size makes it very easy to get involved, and allows students to form relationships with teachers. Teachers and staff really care about students, and every one waves hello to everyone

someone not motivated or focused enough to maintain focus on classwork. The intensity of the shorter terms leads to increased workloads. Losing focus would make it impossible to do well in classes

Ann

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself that college is going to bring good times and new experiences, but also bad friends, stressful late nights studying, and hardships. The best way to handle the ups and downs of college is to never forget those back home, and to learn to earn trust from the new people that you meet. Never trust people too easily, because those who you think you trust may be the ones to turn around and stab you in the back. Its those who are always there for you no matter how bad you treat them who you need to rely on. Also, don't take things personally. The professors are there to help you, not to make you feel bad about yourself. They only want to tell you what you're doing wrong now before your boss does and humiliates you in front of your colleagues. Finally, trust yourself. Although you may fall down, trust yourself to get back up and accomplish your goals, because with hard work anything is possible.

I believe the worst thing at our school is our lack of diversity. We have many foreign students, however, they mostly hang out with each other and no one else. It goes the same for the white kids, it is as if we don't want to learn about different cultures or lifestyles. I think if Mercyhurst allowed better ways for the different races to interact, diversity would greatly improve.

I brag about the amount of opportunities Mercyhurst offers its students. Although it is a smaller school, there are a lot of different and interesting majors to choose from, and there are a lot of extra-cirricular activies and clubs to participate in. Mercyhurst is like a small community where I can feel at home and learn things I would not be able to learn at other colleges.

Lindsey

Mercyhurst is a diverse, Catholic-heritage college that specializes in unique and demanding majors (dance, music, archaeology, anthropology, intelligence studies, forensic science, etc.) with a special focus on the arts and culture.

I would first give myself a hug and a reminder that everything is going to be okay. Then I would get myself excited about college life with stories about the wonderful friendships, the late-night conversations, the dances, the laughter and fun, the camaraderie of people all going through the same things, and the honor and humility in the knowledge that I'm blessed to be attending this school. I would remind myself that not everyone has this privilege, and although it is often extremely difficult, the result is well worth it. I would tell myself not to stress out so much about not knowing what the future holds, because soon enough I would learn that is fine and it makes life all the more an adventure. I would say that it is okay to cry, and it is also okay to sometimes fail, as long as you pick yourself up and keep going. I would tell myself to hold fast and steady, because there is a lot ahead that will challenge me in ways I couldn't imagine. And after I told myself all of this, I would smile, knowing full well that the best is yet to come.

Someone who lacks the motivation to work very hard academically.

Mercyhurst is unique because of the small class sizes and the student to professor ratio. I also love Merchurst because it is close to home and has one of the best fashion merchandising programs around. The faculty is helpful and eager to assist students with all their academic situations. Not only does the small campus allow for a better academic environment but you also form better relationships with your fellow students.

As a high school senior I remember hearing all the time that time management is the one thing that will make the transition from high school to college easier. If I could go back in time I would take that advice more seriously. Now I know that it is vital to my success in college to manage my time between school, work, and homework. As a freshman I never realized how dificult that was, and now I completely understand. I would also tell myself to start better study habits then. When you get to college the work load is significantly more, and if you do not have good study skills you will not perform as well. Unfortunately, I had to learn this lesson the hard way, but it is one I will never forget.

At Merchurst I find the administration to be dificult to work with, especially the financial aid department. I have spoken to several other students and they agree with me. My financial aid advisor rarely returns my phone calls or emails, and after my dad lost his job the school did nothing to help us out financially after making my family fill out numerous forms and assuring us that something could be done.

Serge

My classmates are helpful and easy to get along with.

My classmates are helpful and easy to get along with.

Work hard in all my classes and study for the SATs and ACT. Research about the weather and the surrounding area of the college.

You shouldn't attend this school if you are not willing to work hard, don't want to come to a small school. If you like to party a lot this is not the school you want to go to.

BreAnna

I would have told myself then to prepare myself to actually have more of a life. During high school I worked most of the time, up to 25 hours a week. My friends became second priority to going to school, so when I arrived at school I had a hard time letting loose and flying the coup. I was afraid to let go of my home life, so transitioning was tough. I would have also told myself that to live life you have to but yourself out there, get hurt, and stand right back up. College is a time for making mistakes and learning how to deal with these mistakes your own way, without your parents to clean up the mess. It is a time when parents should back off and see if their child can stand on their own, which is important because no young adult is going to move back in with their parents for life. It is important to stay close to family, but to not stop your life everytime you feel a little homesick. Every student needs to take life head on and put themselves out there for life is one big mystery.

I go to school with many kinds of people. I have never meet a discriminating person, teacher and student alike. Although, most the people here are very outgoing, nice people. It's a small campus, so it resembles a small town, where everyone knows everyone. Community is an important aspect to this campus and all the people on it. During orientation they stressed watching out for each other as if you were family, by the end of my freshman year I did feel like I had an extended family on campus.

Amy

Mercyhurst College is a place of welcoming for those whose minds can be easily morphed and conformed to thinking a certain way about the field they will be entering after they complete their degree.

My school is best known for the Intel Department associated with the criminal justice degrees.

While choosing a undergraduate school to attend, pick a place that feels like home and is inviting to you and your interests. Make sure you and your child feel safe with the surroundings and have everything that they are looking for offered to them.

Caitlin

Make sure that the student does his or her own research to dermine which college to attend. My parents did offer alternatives to consider but I had to make the ultimate choice and I did not want to feel as though I made a decision based on someone elses research or influence. I spent many hours on the internet viewing various college websites and this did give me a feel for those that I wished to visit. Do not consider a school simply beacuse your friends are doing so. Lastly, do not room with a friend from home.

Those who do not want to be at a small school. It is very similar to high school in that you know most of the people in your graduating class.

The Division II women's lacrosse team made it to the conference championship and the NCAA semi finals in 2009

Sara

It is has an Irish Catholic background and there is a motherhouse behind the school where retired nuns lives. There are alot of nuns and priests wondering around the campus at various times during the day.

I hadn?t made a decision between my top two schools until the day before I had to summit my deposit. I thought my choice was perfect. A month into my freshmen year, I discovered my ideal college choice wasn?t. I learned the school didn't offer the academic minor I wanted. I also discovered that I felt like I was going nowhere at the school and wanted and more out of it, feeling like I never truly belonged. I had the mindset all year to transfer. I don't think I ever gave that school a real chance. My advice for those still looking is to really think about and know what options you want in a college. Know if it has your academics, sports, clubs, etc. After I transferred the next year, I still didn't know if I was at the right place because I didn't look at every possible option. Fortunately, I've made the best out of my situation and am proud to say that I am going back. I miss friends I made my freshmen year, but I've also made new ones and look forward to seeing them again this fall.

I transferred here my sophmore year and it took me a while to meet people and make friends. I also lived in a campus apartment and was randomly put with 3 roomates I didn't know. I did not get along with 2 of them and moved out after the first trimester was over. There is not alot of extra, school-sponsored activities during the week or on the weekends. I would like to see more intramural sports and more activities for students to get involved in.

Mercyhurst University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.