Erie, PA
Mercyhurst University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mercyhurst University

Serge

My classmates are helpful and easy to get along with.

My classmates are helpful and easy to get along with.

Work hard in all my classes and study for the SATs and ACT. Research about the weather and the surrounding area of the college.

You shouldn't attend this school if you are not willing to work hard, don't want to come to a small school. If you like to party a lot this is not the school you want to go to.

BreAnna

I would have told myself then to prepare myself to actually have more of a life. During high school I worked most of the time, up to 25 hours a week. My friends became second priority to going to school, so when I arrived at school I had a hard time letting loose and flying the coup. I was afraid to let go of my home life, so transitioning was tough. I would have also told myself that to live life you have to but yourself out there, get hurt, and stand right back up. College is a time for making mistakes and learning how to deal with these mistakes your own way, without your parents to clean up the mess. It is a time when parents should back off and see if their child can stand on their own, which is important because no young adult is going to move back in with their parents for life. It is important to stay close to family, but to not stop your life everytime you feel a little homesick. Every student needs to take life head on and put themselves out there for life is one big mystery.

I go to school with many kinds of people. I have never meet a discriminating person, teacher and student alike. Although, most the people here are very outgoing, nice people. It's a small campus, so it resembles a small town, where everyone knows everyone. Community is an important aspect to this campus and all the people on it. During orientation they stressed watching out for each other as if you were family, by the end of my freshman year I did feel like I had an extended family on campus.

Amy

Mercyhurst College is a place of welcoming for those whose minds can be easily morphed and conformed to thinking a certain way about the field they will be entering after they complete their degree.

My school is best known for the Intel Department associated with the criminal justice degrees.

While choosing a undergraduate school to attend, pick a place that feels like home and is inviting to you and your interests. Make sure you and your child feel safe with the surroundings and have everything that they are looking for offered to them.

Caitlin

Make sure that the student does his or her own research to dermine which college to attend. My parents did offer alternatives to consider but I had to make the ultimate choice and I did not want to feel as though I made a decision based on someone elses research or influence. I spent many hours on the internet viewing various college websites and this did give me a feel for those that I wished to visit. Do not consider a school simply beacuse your friends are doing so. Lastly, do not room with a friend from home.

Those who do not want to be at a small school. It is very similar to high school in that you know most of the people in your graduating class.

The Division II women's lacrosse team made it to the conference championship and the NCAA semi finals in 2009

Sara

It is has an Irish Catholic background and there is a motherhouse behind the school where retired nuns lives. There are alot of nuns and priests wondering around the campus at various times during the day.

I hadn?t made a decision between my top two schools until the day before I had to summit my deposit. I thought my choice was perfect. A month into my freshmen year, I discovered my ideal college choice wasn?t. I learned the school didn't offer the academic minor I wanted. I also discovered that I felt like I was going nowhere at the school and wanted and more out of it, feeling like I never truly belonged. I had the mindset all year to transfer. I don't think I ever gave that school a real chance. My advice for those still looking is to really think about and know what options you want in a college. Know if it has your academics, sports, clubs, etc. After I transferred the next year, I still didn't know if I was at the right place because I didn't look at every possible option. Fortunately, I've made the best out of my situation and am proud to say that I am going back. I miss friends I made my freshmen year, but I've also made new ones and look forward to seeing them again this fall.

I transferred here my sophmore year and it took me a while to meet people and make friends. I also lived in a campus apartment and was randomly put with 3 roomates I didn't know. I did not get along with 2 of them and moved out after the first trimester was over. There is not alot of extra, school-sponsored activities during the week or on the weekends. I would like to see more intramural sports and more activities for students to get involved in.

Aaron

Classmates that I have interacted with are dedicated, friendly, and serious about succeeding academically.

In my opinion, the most important aspect in finding the right college is finding one that the student will feel comfortable attending. It is up to the student to decide whether or not they want to attend a college that has a large student population or a small one. The amount of extra-curricular activities is also important. College isn't just about school work, it's also about students interacting with others and getting to know themselves better. The experience a student has at college will stay with them for life, so it is very important that they make the best of college life. They should become involved in social activities, make many new friends, and just enjoy life. College can be an anxiety producing time for anyone but this dosent have to be the case if the student makes a careful decision on where to attend college. They should find a college that fits their personality and lifestyle so that there is only a small transition into college as oppossed to a large one. If all of these aspects are taken into consideration, the student can easily make their college years the most enjoyable experience of their lifetime.

I would say that the worst thing about my school is the tuition cost. I feel that the education is often worth it because there is a strong dedication from faculty to make sure that all students are academically successful. A wide variety of graduate and undergraduate programs are offered, giving students many choices for their career paths. Most importantly, I really feel that I am recieving a good education and actually learning something meaningful. However, as mentioned, the tuition continues to increase each year, which causes many students to transfer because they are unable to afford the cost.

Casey

My classmates are all very open-minded and friendly, and everyone is willing to help each other in and out of classes.

When choosing a school, you should definitely visit more than one, because comparisons can save you from ending up at a school you might not actually like for 4 years. Also, follow your gut and make sure you choose a school where you can see yourself living and studying for 4 (or more) years. Once you choose a school, make it a point to find out all that the school has to offer. Joining clubs and organizations helps you meet new people and really adds to the overall college experience.

My school is located a few miles from Lake Erie, so I always tell me friends about visiting the lake and the beaches.

Casey

Choosing the right college is one of the most difficult processes in life. Students should research and know what is important to them. Parents should hold back and only assist in the process, not make the decision. Overall searching for the right college should be fun and exciting so get out there, tour, visit and talk to other students. Good Luck!

Someone who is looking for a big school and parties.

Not having a lot to do in the surrounding community.

David

It is much smaller, but a little more expensive. There are not many things to do off campus.

Find a school that will benefit your future career. Academics are very important. You will find friends where ever you go.

My friends. We all have the same feeling towards this school.

Ashli

My first piece of advice would be to look into the students major; is this the major you want? Does this school have a good department for what you want to do with your major? Second, what about the college is the most important to you? Do you want a college in a city? A town? Do you want large classes or small personal classes? Third, and probably the most important to parents, what is the financial situation of the school? What kind of scholarships can the student be offered? Are there any loans that could be received through the college? How much will the student and parent be expected to pay throughout the school year? Can you afford it for the next four years? The worst thing you want to do is show up to college on that first day and not have the money to finish the school year, or have to change schools at the end of the year. Remember, your education is priceless; cheaper could mean better... Good luck in your search for the perfect school!

That Erie never sees sunlight... Honestly, if you think Forks from Twilight was bad, wait to you come to Erie where it's always raining or snowing.... That and I wish PA knew what a snow plow is... it would make life so much easier.

Having the largest core curriculem in the country. This causes time issues because you have to complete the core and all your major requirments in order to graduate. Another annoying thing is that some major classes are only offered everyother year, and a lot the time at the same time as something else you have to take... it sucks because you have to find a way to take both classes.

Mercyhurst University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.