Mercyhurst University

« See more reviews of Mercyhurst University

My first piece of advice would be to look into the students major; is this the major you want? Does this school have a good department for what you want to do with your major? Second, what about the college is the most important to you? Do you want a college in a city? A town? Do you want large classes or small personal classes? Third, and probably the most important to parents, what is the financial situation of the school? What kind of scholarships can the student be offered? Are there any loans that could be received through the college? How much will the student and parent be expected to pay throughout the school year? Can you afford it for the next four years? The worst thing you want to do is show up to college on that first day and not have the money to finish the school year, or have to change schools at the end of the year. Remember, your education is priceless; cheaper could mean better... Good luck in your search for the perfect school!

If I were able to go back in time and give high school me some advice, there are many things I would say. I would tell myself, “School is the most important thing right now, and you can’t keep procrastinating and putting things off for your boyfriend. Also, knowing what you want to do with your life is important. Do some research and find something that fits you. If you need to take a year or two to find the right thing for you, then do it! Don’t bite off more than you can chew; think very hard before making any big decisions about changing schools. You do not want to rack up a lot of debt with nothing to show for it. Start studying! This isn’t high school any more, and you’re going to continue learning little to nothing if you don’t study! Then you won’t be able to get a job in your field because you won’t know what you are doing. Above all be confident and focused and work hard to achieve your goals. You can do anything if you set your mind to it.”

The advice I would give to students coming to college is to keep your mind open and be willing to try new things and change. College is a chance to learn and grow and find out who you are and what is important to you. In order to discover these things, you must be open to new experiences and environments. At the same time, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't forget who you are and abondon everything when you get to college. Find the balance that works for you. You may make a few mistakes but you will also find the friends that will be there through the mistakes and care about you anyway. Parents also need to be there for their kids and realize that they are going to change and be supportive of that. Go to the college that you feel is right for you. The student should make the decision not the parent. This time is for the kid to learn and grow and they should go to a college that they want to attend otherwise they will be unahappy.

College is very important to me for many reasons. One of which is its importantance to my future. Without college, I would have very little chance of ever reaching my goal of becoming a Telecommunication Technician. With this degree I will have a bright future ahead of me. I hope to receive this scholarship to help ensure I can become all that I can be in my field. Another reason I would like this scholarship is to take the worry out of college. Focus in the classroom should always come before the concern of where the funds for next semesters tuition comes from. Everyone should have an equal chance at reaching their dreams. This is why I would like to thank you for offering this scholarship. I hope that you will continue to help students like me. This allows them to chase their dreams and accomplish degrees, that will give them a hopeful outlook on the rest of their lives.

When deciding on a college to attend, I think it's important to find a college where you will feel at ease. Check out the environment, is it hot or cold? What's the weather like, sunny or rainy or snowy? When you get bored, is there a place you can go to have fun? Do you like the classes or will you just skip them and sleep? Does the food taste good? Try to spend a day or two there and soak up the atmosphere. Do you see people around looking happy or miserable. If you have the chance go and visit the campus around finals or midterms and see how people respond to the pressure. Do they look like they're about to break or going to make it. Most of all, is there something about the place that pulls to you, that says I can make this place my home and if so you've found the place that will help you grow as a person during this new stage of your life and become a fulfilled adult.

The advice I would give would be that just because you went to a small high school doesn't necessarily mean that going to a small college is the best route. I went to a small high school and thought that going to a small college would be the right fit for me, I was completely wrong. So my best advice would be if you don't like people knowing your name or your face and you dont like people know all about who your dating or what you did last saturday night I would consider going to a larger school. Also, get to know the administrators as best you can because those are the people who your going to really help you when you in it. But most importantly have fun!!! There are a lot of kids that don't drink or do drugs so if you don't do any of those things, dont fret because a lot of kids on campus don't either, it's just the idiots that do you have to worry about.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it is okay to ask for help. When I first came to campus, I had difficulty making friends, which was a problem I had never encountered before. I considered leaving Mercyhurst because I was so unhappy. My mom convinced me to go talk to an on-campus counselor. At first I was ashamed, but talking with the counselor really helped. I now have a great group of friends who I hang out with all the time. I would tell the high school version of me that it's okay to feel sad and miss home, but it is important to ask for help. I would also tell myself that you cannot force yourself into a group of friends and, if you are patient, a fantastic group of people will enter your life and change it for the better.

My college experience has given me the confidence and tools to enter the real world as not only a holder of a bachelor's degree, but a truly educated person. I had a job in my field before graduation and have since gone on to become self employed and successful in several aspects of my college degree. I can truly say that no credit was wasted or empty in my education. I have already used every bit of my degree and can only see more of the same in the future. I have created lasting relationships with my professors and peers who I can rely on as professional references. There was no better choice for me than Mercyhurst College. I don't believe I could have been better prepared for the real world at any other college. This was a perfect fit for me!

Finding the right college was perhaps the best part about my applicaiton process. I can remeber driving through the big iron gates to what is now my campus and just thinking that this was the place I was supposed to be for the next four years of my life. The best advice I can give to someone looking for the right college for them is to make sure you visit the campus and then just go with your gut. You do not really get the experience of a college until you visit the campus, the department of your possible major, the cafateria and anything else that will play a major role in your life there. You need to be comfortable with your final decision because your college experience really does help you develop into the adult you will always be.

Look at all areas of the college experience before you want to go. First, look at the academics and majors that the school offerse. This is probably the most important thing to consider. I would also look at the size of the school. Mercyhurst has small class sizes and I love that. You get a lot more interaction and attention. Another item to consider is the location. Do you like being in the middle of the city or something a little more private? This may not seem like a big deal, but it does affect your daily life. Finally, I would look at what sports and extracurriculars are offered. You may need to know this for scholarships and personal interests. I would recommend attending any orientations and campus visits available.