Mechanicsburg, PA
Messiah College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Messiah College

Matthew

Do not worry about making your life-long friends right away. You will end up meeting them eventually, for the some of the students you meet right away may not be around in a few semesters. Work hard, play hard, and love your neighbor, but most of all, love and trust God fully.

I wish I had known how expensive it really was to go here. Before, I never really noticed the price tag associated with it, but now I am realizing just how much I really spent on this education of mine. Some of my friends are getting similar educations but for quite the lower price.

A person who desires a warm, friendly, and alcohol-free campus. The entertainment is limitless and the possiblities wonderful. Students who want a strong academic career with a lovely taste of Christianity. The community is quite strong with several opportunities to join clubs and volunteering organizations as ways to get involved.

As a high school senior all I wanted out of college was to go to a place far away.. I wanted to prove to my parents that I was capable of living on my own. I looked at colleges five hours away, but chose Messiah College, which is two hours away. It was far enough away to be on my own, but close enough that my parents could visit. Now that I have completed my first semester of college, I realize that when I thought about the location of the college that I attend, I never thought about myself. The location has taught me a lot about myself. I am very close to my friends and family at home. I wholeheartedly enjoy going out and spending time with them. I also thoroughly enjoy a day at home, just relaxing. I now regret not considering these things when deciding on the location of the college that I wanted to attend. From this experience, I have learned one essential lesson that will be will me for the rest of my life. I have to make decisions based on my wants and needs, not decisions to please others.

This school stressed the importance of two aspects: Christian and community. It is extremely important that you are a Christian if you are attending this school. You are required to go to chapel a set number of times a semester and Chrisitan morals and ethics are entwined into the circuluum of the majority of classes. A person who attends Messiah should value community. Volunteering and giving time back to the community surrounding the school, as well as globally, is of the utmost importance for a Messiah student.

A person who is looking for a party school should not attend this school. There is very little partying that occurs. In addition, there are enforced visiting hours in which the opposite sex can be in another's dorm room.

Kristine

The professors here are fantastic, they care so much about the students and truly go out of their way to get to know you and have a relationship with you. Also, there is the perfect level of Christianity for me. It is not overwhemling and forced, but it is ever-present and supportive. The community environment is wonderful for a hardworking college student!

As a senior, you feel like the top dog at your high school. You have your own car and liscense, you come and go as you please, you are the leader in your sports teams and extracurricular activities, and you are making life decisions. Right now, your have it all together and are feeling like an adult! Time to get out on your own! However, you have no idea what independence is yet! The transition from living at home to living away on your own is monumental. Keep in mind, though, that you can do it. Stay at school on weekends, get very involved in extracurriculars, and talk to your professors often. Get to know as many people as you can, try lots of new things, and seize all the opportunities that come your way. Your first year at college is a great time to branch out and learn about the world and about yourself. Never pass up a chance to experience something different just because you haven't tried it before. And keep in mind, your classmates are getting to know the world too! Reach out and embrace each other and all the opportunities waiting for you!

I would not advise someone who does not have religious beliefs to attend Messiah, since it is a religious-affiliated institution. Also, someone who thrives in an urban setting would probably not want to come to Messiah College, because we are placed in a rural setting. However, if you love nature, sports, are hardworking, and eager to develop in your relationship with God, your knowledge, and your social life, Messiah is the place!

Jacqueline

Jackie, I have something important to tell you. Put the homework down for a minute. This is exactly the reason I want to talk to you. You put so much effort and time into your work, beyond what is needed, but you do not know how to stop working and take care of yourself. So, here is what you need to do to prevent that medical withdrawal I suffered through: TAKE NO MORE THAN 15 CREDITS EACH SEMESTER. Yes, you?ll graduate late, but this way, you can put in the effort you want to, without damaging your health. Got it? I understand your classmates are all taking 18 or 19 credits, but you are built differently. Also, your parents care much for you and they do not want you putting so much pressure on yourself to pay for every expense. They will support you while you are in college. Stop being so stubbornly self-reliant and stay close to your family. Talk to Mom and Dad about any financial questions you have; they will be glad to help. Jackie, I have to go, but keep doing what you are doing well. Bye!

A wild partier... I talked to a graduate partier who nearly got kicked out. So if you like alcohol and sexy dance parties on campus, go somewhere else.

Hmmm, the most frustrating thing about Messiah college... Listen, I searched and searched for the right school after leaving my original college, and I wanted to finish my degree at the school that is perfect for me: Christian, Art school, in Pennsylvania... I found what I was looking for at Messiah College. No, I am not trying to brag about the school, I am simply saying that the school fits me well. Okay, I just thought of one thing that is frustrating: less financial aid available than other schools. Yeah, pain in the wallet!

Matthew

Messiah College is a liberal christian college dedicated to serving both its students and God.

If I ever had the opportunity of going back in time and talking to myself during my high school year as a senior, I would probably encourage my past self to be more courageous and disciplined. I would explain to my former self that college life is rough during the first year because everything is new and challenging, but once you overcome those fears and obstacles, college life becomes easier and a lot of fun. I would advise my past self to also be frugal with both my time and money spent in college. Also, college gives us a great responsibilty and opportunity to grow as an individual. Lastly, I would encourage my past self to discipline myself for my studies and take life one step at a time. College may seem like one big step from being a teen to an adult, but it is actually composed of smaller steps leading to who we want to be in life as an adult.

Sometimes the teachers give us little to no slack with assignments. Also, the weekends sometimes turn the campus into a ghost town due to a lot of the student body living in a rather close vicinity to the school.

My classmates are my brothers and sisters in Christ, because at Messiah we all know that are one body in Christ, therefore we all take the time to express our love for one another constantly; the smiles, hugs, considerate conversations, words of encouragement, laughter, prayers, tears, homework help, and love is a deep part of our days as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Messiah College is a diverse Christian College dedicated to deepening our Christian faith through an rigorous academic program. Messiah desires for all of their students to not just get an education, but to truly learn. Messiah is dedicated to their liberal arts program, because students must explore and learn a variety of subjects, which not only teaches them about the subject, but about themselves and who they are in Christ. Messiah is a personal college where the professors are not just your teachers, but your friends. Messiah is truly unique, because it is a second home for its students.

The part of my high school experience that I struggled with was confidence. As a current Messiah student, I have been blessed with an abundant amount of brothers and sisters, because I came to Messiah desiring only to be myself. I thought 'if they didn't like me, then they are not meant to be my friend'. One of my brothers that I met in calculus class has become one of my closest friends. He told me, "the reason he wanted to be friends with me was because I was so on fire with Christ and, at the same time, I was so real". If I could go back to high school and advise myself, I would tell myself to be confident in who I am in Christ, because it doesn't matter what people say about you; you are being real and your true friends will see that. Blessed Sister Teresa says it perfectly: "its never been between you and them anyway; it had always been between you and Him [God]". Being confident in who you are is extremely important in ameliorating your college experience, because no one wants to judge you; they only do, because you judge yourself.

Kitty

Although my school has a Christian focus, it is still open to the outside world. We have free concerts once a week and big name bands come twice a semester. We are very close to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's state capital, so there is a lot to do off campus as well as on. Also, the professors want to help you learn. They are very kind and give you many resources to contact them. The students here are also very tight nit, and most people attend school activities. It is also the perfect sized school for me- about 3,000 students.

I would tell myself not to be worried about the college search process. When I was applying for colleges, I was nervous that I would pick the wrong one and be miserably stuck there for 4 years. When I did not get accepted to my first choice, I thought my fears would become realized. But once getting to school, I found out there was something on campus for everyone to enjoy. Most of my friends have said the same thing about their colleges, and if they did not like it, it is easy to transfer. It's also not that big of a deal to transfer-- many people do it. I would also reiterate to myself that I probably will change my major. I always wanted to be a Broadcast Journalism major all through high school. It was my drea. But when I attended classes, I realized it was not my dream anymore. I changed my major to Sociology, and I love it. It fits my personality perfectly, and people at the school really helped me figure that out. I would also tell myself that it IS possible to have a good time without drinking or partying!

Someone should not attend this school if they are looking to party. At the beginning of your first semester, everyone signs a contract saying they will obstain from alcohol, drugs, and sexual intercourse while they are attending Messiah College. There are also specific times when people of the opposite genders can be on your floor. Someone should also not attend this school if they are ready to be challenged academically. Some of the classes are very difficult with alot of work. Also, someone should not attend this school if they do not want their classes to have a Christian background.

Bianca

Messiah College is a vibrant center of community and academic excellence that offers tons of opportunities to get into the community and make a difference in the world.

Dear High School Self, College in on the horizon, and you can't wait to get out of the house. But before you finally get on campus and into that dorm, there are a few things you should know. Moving into a new place is stressful. You've got new people and a new lifestyle. Give yourself some time and space to get over any loneliness, but don't isolate yourself in the process! Also, print out a campus map before you go! Even if it's a small campus, a map is great! In the dorms, concentrate on the people around you. Having a community through this next year is what makes the difference between an awesome and an okay college experience. You'll meet new friends through activities, like, say, International Club, but the people on your floor are going to be living with you. Don't ignore them, and for goodness sake, learn their names! And don't worry about being shy. If you can just get out a "hi" you'll start a conversation, making it easier the next time. The alternative, staying trapped in your self-contained bubble, will only lead to regrets. Study hard!

Messiah's study abroad opportunities are way more varied than most schools. You can go to any continent and the college is extremely open minded about external programs not listed. You're encouraged to see the world.

Donald

Messiah is very concerned with political correctness.

Messiah is very concerned with political correctness.

If I could traverse the time space continuum in order to interact with my past self, there are two things that I believe he would benefit from knowing. First, I would advise him not to transfer colleges. I transferred during my first year of college. Ultimately, transferring was the correct choice; however, it would have been better if I had simply started at my current college. Because of transferring, I have had to make innumerable visits to the registrar's office and fought many battles in a frequently vain attempt to get my credits to transfer properly. My life as a college student would be immeasurably easier if I had avoided the pitfall of transferring. Second, I would teach myself the rules of logic (good arguments versus bad arguments, logical fallacies, etc). In my sophomore year of college, I took a philosophy course which taught me the rules of logic. That knowledge started me on a grand quest for truth which has dictated my life ever since. That quest has been helpful for everything from analysis of abstract philosophical concepts to daily problem solving. My current understanding and knowledge could be far greater if I had begun my quest earlier.

Some of the ridiculous gen eds we are required to take.

Reflecting on the past four years as a student at Messiah College, if given the opportunity to go back in time and provide a highschool senior version of myself with advice, I would encourage myself to find the courage to set aside any preconceived prejudices; to celebrate one another?s differences and to refuse to clutch to the familiar. As a member of the Messiah Community, I have discovered that an individual?s past shapes his/her present, and that often, the most influential individuals in life are those with immeasurably different backgrounds, religious traditions, and life perspectives. I believe that only through embracing the unfamiliar and acknowledging each individual as an individual with a purpose and a calling, can our generation bring forth the change our world so desperately needs.

The best things about Messiah College is their mindset to produce professional individuals who are not strictly focused on securing the best paid or most sought after job position. They cultivate an academic environment which encourages students to excel in their studies and learnign and apply the gained tools to a vocation that serves the community and fulfills the purpose God has for them.

Rules for the apartments. Since students are unable to secure an apartment until junior and senior year, it is frustrating that the upperclassmen have to abide by visiting and quite hours.

Messiah College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.