Mechanicsburg, PA
Messiah College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Messiah College

My classmates are my brothers and sisters in Christ, because at Messiah we all know that are one body in Christ, therefore we all take the time to express our love for one another constantly; the smiles, hugs, considerate conversations, words of encouragement, laughter, prayers, tears, homework help, and love is a deep part of our days as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Messiah College is a diverse Christian College dedicated to deepening our Christian faith through an rigorous academic program. Messiah desires for all of their students to not just get an education, but to truly learn. Messiah is dedicated to their liberal arts program, because students must explore and learn a variety of subjects, which not only teaches them about the subject, but about themselves and who they are in Christ. Messiah is a personal college where the professors are not just your teachers, but your friends. Messiah is truly unique, because it is a second home for its students.

The part of my high school experience that I struggled with was confidence. As a current Messiah student, I have been blessed with an abundant amount of brothers and sisters, because I came to Messiah desiring only to be myself. I thought 'if they didn't like me, then they are not meant to be my friend'. One of my brothers that I met in calculus class has become one of my closest friends. He told me, "the reason he wanted to be friends with me was because I was so on fire with Christ and, at the same time, I was so real". If I could go back to high school and advise myself, I would tell myself to be confident in who I am in Christ, because it doesn't matter what people say about you; you are being real and your true friends will see that. Blessed Sister Teresa says it perfectly: "its never been between you and them anyway; it had always been between you and Him [God]". Being confident in who you are is extremely important in ameliorating your college experience, because no one wants to judge you; they only do, because you judge yourself.

Kitty

Although my school has a Christian focus, it is still open to the outside world. We have free concerts once a week and big name bands come twice a semester. We are very close to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's state capital, so there is a lot to do off campus as well as on. Also, the professors want to help you learn. They are very kind and give you many resources to contact them. The students here are also very tight nit, and most people attend school activities. It is also the perfect sized school for me- about 3,000 students.

I would tell myself not to be worried about the college search process. When I was applying for colleges, I was nervous that I would pick the wrong one and be miserably stuck there for 4 years. When I did not get accepted to my first choice, I thought my fears would become realized. But once getting to school, I found out there was something on campus for everyone to enjoy. Most of my friends have said the same thing about their colleges, and if they did not like it, it is easy to transfer. It's also not that big of a deal to transfer-- many people do it. I would also reiterate to myself that I probably will change my major. I always wanted to be a Broadcast Journalism major all through high school. It was my drea. But when I attended classes, I realized it was not my dream anymore. I changed my major to Sociology, and I love it. It fits my personality perfectly, and people at the school really helped me figure that out. I would also tell myself that it IS possible to have a good time without drinking or partying!

Someone should not attend this school if they are looking to party. At the beginning of your first semester, everyone signs a contract saying they will obstain from alcohol, drugs, and sexual intercourse while they are attending Messiah College. There are also specific times when people of the opposite genders can be on your floor. Someone should also not attend this school if they are ready to be challenged academically. Some of the classes are very difficult with alot of work. Also, someone should not attend this school if they do not want their classes to have a Christian background.

Bianca

Messiah College is a vibrant center of community and academic excellence that offers tons of opportunities to get into the community and make a difference in the world.

Dear High School Self, College in on the horizon, and you can't wait to get out of the house. But before you finally get on campus and into that dorm, there are a few things you should know. Moving into a new place is stressful. You've got new people and a new lifestyle. Give yourself some time and space to get over any loneliness, but don't isolate yourself in the process! Also, print out a campus map before you go! Even if it's a small campus, a map is great! In the dorms, concentrate on the people around you. Having a community through this next year is what makes the difference between an awesome and an okay college experience. You'll meet new friends through activities, like, say, International Club, but the people on your floor are going to be living with you. Don't ignore them, and for goodness sake, learn their names! And don't worry about being shy. If you can just get out a "hi" you'll start a conversation, making it easier the next time. The alternative, staying trapped in your self-contained bubble, will only lead to regrets. Study hard!

Messiah's study abroad opportunities are way more varied than most schools. You can go to any continent and the college is extremely open minded about external programs not listed. You're encouraged to see the world.

Donald

Messiah is very concerned with political correctness.

Messiah is very concerned with political correctness.

If I could traverse the time space continuum in order to interact with my past self, there are two things that I believe he would benefit from knowing. First, I would advise him not to transfer colleges. I transferred during my first year of college. Ultimately, transferring was the correct choice; however, it would have been better if I had simply started at my current college. Because of transferring, I have had to make innumerable visits to the registrar's office and fought many battles in a frequently vain attempt to get my credits to transfer properly. My life as a college student would be immeasurably easier if I had avoided the pitfall of transferring. Second, I would teach myself the rules of logic (good arguments versus bad arguments, logical fallacies, etc). In my sophomore year of college, I took a philosophy course which taught me the rules of logic. That knowledge started me on a grand quest for truth which has dictated my life ever since. That quest has been helpful for everything from analysis of abstract philosophical concepts to daily problem solving. My current understanding and knowledge could be far greater if I had begun my quest earlier.

Some of the ridiculous gen eds we are required to take.

Reflecting on the past four years as a student at Messiah College, if given the opportunity to go back in time and provide a highschool senior version of myself with advice, I would encourage myself to find the courage to set aside any preconceived prejudices; to celebrate one another?s differences and to refuse to clutch to the familiar. As a member of the Messiah Community, I have discovered that an individual?s past shapes his/her present, and that often, the most influential individuals in life are those with immeasurably different backgrounds, religious traditions, and life perspectives. I believe that only through embracing the unfamiliar and acknowledging each individual as an individual with a purpose and a calling, can our generation bring forth the change our world so desperately needs.

The best things about Messiah College is their mindset to produce professional individuals who are not strictly focused on securing the best paid or most sought after job position. They cultivate an academic environment which encourages students to excel in their studies and learnign and apply the gained tools to a vocation that serves the community and fulfills the purpose God has for them.

Rules for the apartments. Since students are unable to secure an apartment until junior and senior year, it is frustrating that the upperclassmen have to abide by visiting and quite hours.

Students need to be aware that its difficult, but that it is a life change that is worth it. Choosing a college is hard, but you need to pick one that you love. If you find yourself hating your school, you should pick a new one. You also have to be careful to not give in to the temptations of college. You are there to focus on your studies so that you can have a career. Students should also get involved in as much as they can handle in order to make friends and learn new skills.

Matthew

For the most part, you'll do fairly well in college. The only real advice that I have for you is to get involved in a club as soon as you can, even if you have to start one yourself, and ask around to see if you can find a church that you like. Also, you might want to try just being part of a small group before taking a leadership role.

The soccer teams are very good. They both just won the division 3 national championships two years in a row.

There's quite a lot of reading to do for classes. If you're really serious about academics, your social life might not be very enviable. You need to find a balance of social life and classwork that you like.

Matthew

I wouldn't give myself any advice. The point of life I was at at that time and my general situation were what influenced me to pick Messiah College. As with all institutions, there will we nit-picky things wrong, but overall this is the perfect place for me. The only issue is how expensive it is, though it is a great education. I am growing a great amount as an individual and a social worker, complete with field experience at this early time, and would not have it any other way. Why have regrets anyway? If I wanted change I would certainly seek it. Thanks for reading.

Anyone. We could use more ethnic students for sure. The typical student is a weathly white Christian, but that is certainly not exclusive.

Academics are great, the campus is beautiful, the people are mostly friendly and accepting, and there are many opportunities for growth spiritually and in activities.

Julie

Life-changing to the extent that a price can't be put to it.

Life-changing to the extent that a price can't be put to it.

I would not have made my decision solely on athletics. Instead I would have focussed on the person who I sought to become in life, rather than the athlete I wanted to become.

One who has no, or does not want any morals.

Rosette

the school I go to is a welcoming, you feel part of the family/community and you are put in front of challenges that help you to grow spiritually, socially and become a better person in the society.

Dear Rosette, it's almost the end of a chapter of your life and now you're preparing for the next chapter in your life. You must know that life is not easy and that you'll face different challenges and you'll win battle, but one thing to remember is that you are the one who decide who you want to become. You're the one living your life and making it worst or better. So take time to know exactly what you want to do and don't be afraid to say that you've failed and ready to make a change. Don't be afraid to go back to ground zero and start all over. It's better to finish the race last doing it the right way then finishing first and not doing everything correctly to be disqualified in the end. I know that you're an over achieve, do things the right way and on time, but you have to learn how to balance your social life, school and family. You spend so much time doing school work and sometimes you complain of not having a social life. Take every opportunity you have and enjoy.

I wish that they helped the students with more financial aid. I applied late because my family was moving to PA from NC and wanted to be close to them. And even though my GPA in highschool was great, they didn't give me enough scholarships and i'm struggling financially. I think that they should help students. there are students who apply late, don't have scholarship and do great in the first year, and i don't get how they don't have any scholarship to award to them. i had a 3.18 GPA.

Messiah College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.