Mechanicsburg, PA
Messiah College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Messiah College

Sandra

Messiah College emphasizes the importance of community and making everyone feel welcome.

As a parent you need to encourage your kids in their junior year to atleast browse through colleges. As a student you need to make it a priority to have a list and be proactive in your search for colleges. I made the mistake of looking too late and running out of options and time. As a student you definitely need to visit the campus to get a good feel of it, you will get a gut feeling if it feels like home or you feel really insecure. I think to make the most of your college experience you need to step out of your comfort zone your first semester especially to make friends because most likely they will be the ones you stick with for the next three years.

Valerie

Parents and students should know that happiness is the number one important factor about choosing the right college. The academics could be award-winning, but if the student is not content with the current situation, then the true college experience is lost. The college might be a little pricey, but if the student is enjoying himself or herself while obtaining a good education, then the price is certainly worth it. There is definitely more to college than the classroom; this is where socializing, extra-curricular activities, and perhaps a job could help the student enjoy those hours outside of the lecture hall. Make a solid group of friends who will stick by the student at all times. Lastly, know that there are always second chances. Perhaps the first college is not what the student is looking for--that's ok! Switching colleges is always a possibility. It is only when the student finds true happiness will he or she obtain the true college experience.

A person who is of the Christian faith should attend this school. If you are hard working but can save time for socializing and fun, this is the place for you.

We have the best division 3 soccer team in the country! Also, we have great volunteer opportunities, as well as wonderful ways to help you grow closer to God.

Charity

Remember that college isn't about the degree or graduation, rather college should be considered a gradual experience that prepares you for life and gives you the moments that force you to escape your various comfort zones. Choose a school that follows an ethic and whose professors live lives as admirable as you would like you or your son/daughter to live. These four (or more) years prepare you for real life and provide you with an opportunity to be both generous with love for your community and selfish with the knowledge that you attain both in and out of the classroom. When you have matured enough to understand how that wisdom can benefit others you can freely apportion out your refined talents without expectations of gratitude or repayment.

I wish I would have realized how expensive the school would have been so I could have saved more money for college.

Any person who is interested in strengthening maturity in every crevice of his or her lives. No matter your background you will feel accepted by students and professors alike.

Danny

Make visits to your top choices, and talk to the students about the questions you have. Most students are willing to answer questions and will be honest, and visiting will give you a feel for the ins and outs of every day life at the college Give thought to school size- it plays heavily into the experience, socially and academically. Think about location- your distance from home will affect how frequently you're able to return on long weekends and breaks. Consider the climate of the school- a consistently cold environment can really bring you down if you're not up for it. If you're sure you know what field you want to study, research which schools are best in that specific area- just because a school isn't on a top 20 overall list doesn't mean it isn't excellent in your area of interest. If you have an interest in studying abroad, make sure they have diverse programs beforehand. Once you've chosen, take advantage of the extracurricular activities offered by the school. Most schools have trips and activities freely available; keep your eye open for them and if you're interested, don't think twice.

Most people are genuinely nice, so it's easy to make friends.

Someone who doesn't mesh well with religion. There are people who are legitimately spiritual and aren't filled with religious pomp and ceremony, but there's a good percentage of people who are simply churchgoers who haven't given much thought to what that means, and most have been raised in that culture, so it's a part of campus life.

Sloan

My classmates are intelligent, fun, and hard working.

My classmates are intelligent, fun, and hard working.

To Students: Reach for your dreams, and don't let anyone tell you what you can't do. Apply for every school that interests you. It's better to try and to not get in than to always wonder "what if I had applied?". Study hard, but don't be afraid to make friends and have a social life. Pick a major you love, and stick with it even when it gets tough. Forge relationships with your professors, they will be your most important friends and mentors. Don't fall in with the wrong crowd, remember, you're an adult now and need to act like one. And stay in touch with your parents, because when the going gets tough they will be the ones to back you up. Most importantly, enjoy the experience, you only get this chance once.

The best thing about Messiah College is the fact that people really accept each other and it's easy to make friends and have a social life.

Andrea

The best advice I could give would be to visit the schools that you are thinking about attending and if possible stay with and talk to actual students who are attending the school. Make certain that the school you are considering is strong in whatever area you want to study and if you are uncertain then try a liberal arts school that has a lot of options and is not adverse to students trying different things. Also, don't give up on a school because it seems to be expensive; their is financial aid available if you are willing to search and work for it.

A person who values their Christian faith or wants to learn more with it integrated throughout the entire curriculum. A person who loves to interact with other students on projects, but is capable of disciplining themselves as well. A person should be comfortable with living farther from conveniences then they might be used to and be able to find their own entertainment(which is not very hard to do here).

A person who is adverse to mixing academics with faith and moral character would not do well at Messiah.

Go to a college that has many activities that you can do, especially on weekends.

located in the middle of nowhere

Laura

The soccer team is really good - NCAA champs in the D3 multiple years. The Adventure Education Major.

College is what you make of it. You can make it a really fun, creative, stimulating, inquisitive time or you can make it boring, miserable, and dull. It is up to the student to make the college experience into what that student wants. One way to make the college experience great is by choosing a college that fits the students needs. This means considering what size college and what type of college (public/private) the student would like to attend. It also means considering things such as what majors, sports or clubs the college offers. If a students that finds colleges that are generally what he/she is looking for, choosing between schools becomes much easier. It is a decision that should be thought about seriously by the student buy it should not be a decision that is stressed over needlessly. As long as the college meets the student's basic needs then it will be a good fit for that student. College is what you make of it.

A lack of diversity among students. A judgemental attitude for people who dont follow the perfect Christian standards.

Connie

The best thing about Messiah i think is the location of the campus, in the middle of no where.. there always something going on campus with different clubs. The cool thing is Harrisburg is only 25 min away, Philly is only two hours away and NYC about two hrs as well. DC is only hour and alf away so... The size of the school is perfect under 3000 students. I have great reactions for those who knows the school. I spent a lot of times at my dorms, hanging out with students, working on different projects helping out in the community. The administration is great when you face them. Speak your mind at MC. I think Messiah is now afraid of loosing a lot of their credits so they are doing anything they can do to adjust and please the student body. In the same token they are trying to protect their values which they have been pretty successful at. They keep their mandatory chapel policies, strict visitation hours, no alcohol on campus. I think they school take pride in where they are going and how they are getting there, again a female president is awesome. I had better experience with the previous president than the current one, but i hear great things about her and i hang out with her a few times. She is super cool! My best experience at MC is my first semester if it was not for great faculties and students i would probably quit college. it was hard for me, one of my prof took me to watch a baseball game for the first time ever in the state. Students complains about visitation hours, mandatory chapels... Unusual...? can't think of any.. I have to say last this school is one of the top well known to send their students to study abroad and mission work. They sent you to the top universities around the world, i am talking about Oxford in England, Science Po in Strasbourg, France, to name a couple; i study in France and it was the best experience of my life. I was able to find my voice for human rights, politics and photography while studying in France.

From what I hear some students are still pretty basic to their ground. When you go to the campus you noticed everyone hang out with their own crowd which is typical at other campus. Students tends to be personal and not to open, but once they let you in, they stand by you. Students wear about anything, some of them look like they just roll out of bed, which is true, the girls are normally neat looking lol. It is very laid back, they are quite a few like me who likes to dress up every day too. Most of the campus is white hands down, so the minority is getting bigger, but the racial issues at MC is something that is getting better, I never face it but I hear stories for sure. In fact they even make a video that you can watch about potential students and professors who express their views on being a victim. Hey i give them credit to put it out there so they can learn from their past. I thin they are on the right track, because the world not we are living in is not black and white. You want to be test out before graduation, maybe it is me... I think most of them got good financial background. This campus is hands down more republican...Students speak their mind on that campus, it is small so that makes it easy to voice your opinion... in classes we do talk about how we would love to make when you are done with school...

Messiah is changing a lot , they are adapting to how the world is changing around them.. they are in the process to be a green campus and they are making great change... I think they are too strong against professors who stand against the school policy. We have gay and feminist faculties...this campus is about to make leaders to change the world, their heart for service, diversity and community is getting bigger and stronger.. Messiah student got married quick sometimes even before graduation.... In the End I give the school an A...they help me find a reason to die for after graduation which is public service and do what i am passionate about .. for this is what I expect out of a college.. do not get me i fought for it, i challenge my professors and students! www.TOUSSAINT photography.Com wedding, fashion, commercial, sports.

I have to say the school is indeed strict with their faith belief, however during my five years on campus, I have seen a lot of great change. We have a new and first female president Kim Phipps. She is really open to listen to the students. They welcome challenges from the students body. The race issues is definitely there, from what i hear, but speaking for myself I never face any race issue at all on campus. So the school stereotype as far as race and faith core values has been really open in the few years. They even brought a well known gay group on campus to talk about the issue. The most stereotype is when you get on campus you will hear about the "Ring by Spring on my tuition back." Students will expect to find their mates by graduation. I would love to say it is not true, but the fact can speak for itself :) There is some great truth into... The percentage of the students who get married is pretty decent. In the same token the divorce rate is also high among them.

This is where the action take place, some professors still pray at MC, a very very few still do. They know you by names, they open their doors, some even take you to their home for party and discussions, they listen to how they can help you reach your goal. They adjust to what fashion of learning will suit you the best. However, they will not put that on the table you have to fight for it. Let them know how you are different and how can they help you reach your goal. Intellectual conversations depends on who you hang out with. students speak their mind as you challenge them for sure. It was always intellectual for me, because i force them too. I love all my classes in photography, my professors challenge me after he told me to change my project that i did not have what it takes to deliver it at the end. I love challenge so I keep up and prove him wrong. I have to say the art department at MC is the most challenge and brutal.. they will not take crap from you. they will destroy inside and out so the best can come out of you. :) it works for me. The French department on campus is ok However, the fact that they can sent you to France to study that is the best ever. You can learn with the best. I study at the second best Sciences Po in France which was in Strasbourg, France. I was challenge and took classes in Law, Politics, Theology, Philosophy and many more. The Communication department is ok, I think they can use more help. They are making great progress but they need to do more.. for Instance they have Kirsten Snow works for them which is the Ed Rendell assistant, they should keep her on staff as much as they can, but not the case. My education at MC allows me to open my own vision and dream. A year before graduation I was able to open my own photography business. I now do weddings, fashion, commercial, pregnancy and sports, here is my site www.TOUSSAINTphotography.Com They challenge to think outside the box and create your own visions when things don't work out. Maybe it was me i don't know. Their academics requirement is pretty tough for some professors.

WOW this campus is loaded with outside activities your head will turn, you name the field that you want to be involve and they will make it happen.I was involve for a little with the international club, the service trip, the sports club, the theater club.. this is one of the best way to meet friends, working in the same club helps a lot. The dating scene is great up there, students are not afraid to show their love in public, they respect each other, i think the party scene could have been more. you have to go off campus to have great fun, but they are a lot of small club that meets in regular basis to chill and have a good time.. on Saturday at the student union there is something always going on with music..we have a $1 movie at the school theater for the weekend. The campus is pretty so if they weather is nice at 2am you can always go for a walk or play indoor sports, we have a student cafe where you can hang out till you are drop dead. Traditions the nursing school will jump into the creek with their uniforms on, during the spring all the seniors will fight against the first year student on a war battle. They meet on a field they make weapons out of duck tape and cardboard whatever you can make and they fight till they have no more weapons left ... just look up Messiah duck tape war on youtube, you can see for yourself! it is pretty fun.. we have an Acclamation dance which is huge, we have the spring flying where you dress up off campus and take a girl out.. it is very high scale.. it is a perfect place to walk out with a girl if you ever happen to be single ...we have the same thing in the fall...In the past two I have been going back on campus to do free engagement shoot.. it is getting big because of the percentage of students who do get married right after college...Off campus we are out and be ourselves...

It is a very conservative school. We have straight rules when it comes to protect our faith and values. The issue of race is pretty intense and talk about a lot on campus. They are super awesome with sports such as soccer woman and man, field hockey, basket-ball, Tennis to name a few.

Leah

Close-minded, naive, uneducated, hypocrites.

Close-minded, naive, uneducated, hypocrites.

My advice is to look beyond the numbers. As high school seniors, students and their parents are bombarded with teacher to student ratios, diversity percentages, the number of clubs, how many majors are offered, the acreage of the campus, and so forth. Although college is an important next step after high school and a stepping stone to a bright future, it's also a once in a lifetime opportunity, and students should use it as a growing opportunity. Every college has professors, every university has classrooms and dining halls. Ten years from now it will not have mattered which college or university you took your general education courses at or where you got your degree. What will matter is the person you are. At which school are you going to be a better person after 4 years? Where will you make your life-long friends? Where will you make the memories that you reminisce over years from now? Where will you find your character developing along with your intellect? To make the most of the college experience, students should live in the moment and take each day in stride, because it's the small things in life that count.

How academically challenging my classes are, how much I'm learning and the high quality of the educations, and how qualified my professors are and how much I like them.

Messiah College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.