Mechanicsburg, PA
Messiah College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Messiah College

Hi Sarah, I know you are fooling yourself and saying that you have time to work out your application process. You really don't. Start researching RIGHT NOW more schools and write down where you want to go. You want to go abroad, you want to live abroad, you want to study languages and cultures and ethnicities and topics of reconciliation and justice and peace and sustainability. You want to get the most out of your Environmental Science and Spanish classes now, because that will be the foundations of your future studies. You want to focus on community development and ethnic/racial tension and food security and accessibility. You want a college that won't crush you under it's massive student debt for the next 20 years of your life. You want to apply to every scholarship that you have the SLIGHTEST chance of winning, you want to pursue your passions, even if it does seem like a pipe dream. You want to yield to nothing in order to achieve your goals of making a lasting impact on the global, national and local community.You want to grow in mind body and spirit. You want to make a difference.

People who are not comfortable discussing and integrating the Christian faith into their everyday lives- through mandatory chapels (24/semester), bible studies, everyday interactions with faculty, students and staff, as well as Biblical references everywhere. You are not required to profess to be Christian to attend Messiah, but you have to agree to abide by their strict Community Covonent and attend Chapel. If you are Christian, but do not wish to discuss or incorporate your faith into daily activities (again, in and out of the classroom), then Messiah is not for you.

I am occasionally frustrated with the lack of diversity, ethnically, spiritually/religiously, and politically. The majority of students are solidly middle class white students with a Republican leaning. The campus provides an outlet for more liberally minded people, but the majority of students are very conservative. They also exaggerate the number of racially/ethnically diverse students on campus. I am occasionally also frustrated by students who act the innocent Christian angel, without acknowledging that they would ever, for example, swear, or wear a bikini- seemingly insignificant things that are frowned upon at Messiah.

Lissette

The couple times i've visited Messiah there's thing home-y feeling to it. They're very welcoming and the students are very friendly.

To my High School Senior self I'd tell; SAVE MONEY, SAVE MONEY, SAVE MONEY!! Stop going on Ebay and buying those random headbands and accessories that you barely use anyways and SAVE! College is expensive, even those $10 you can save will be helpful for something else. Arrange your sleep schedule, having to rely on your roommate to wake you up the first couple months is terrible, so arrange it now or over the summer but DO IT! Also, go to yard sales, you never know, they might have that mini fridge or keurig you're going to need for college for a bargain at what you would get at Walmart or Target. The main idea is SAVE MONEY! As much as you can because college is expensive!

Unless you live 250 miles away from Messiah, you can't have your car on campus

Madeline

Small class sizes and major interaction with professors.

Small class sizes and major interaction with professors.

Don't worry so much about making friends or losing those you love here at home. Everything will be okay. Nothing will change except for your love and affection for those you have left here at home. While you may not talk to them everyday or see them everytime you come home, when you do see each other, it will be like nothing has changed. Don't be afraid to jump into things whole heartedly. If it doesn't work out, don't worry. You will find a way to make something work. You have more talent than you think and you will rise to the occasion when you are asked. Don't stress too much. You will succeed as long as you have God on your side.

Julie

The first and most important piece of advice I would give myself is to be more outgoing! The first month or so, as a college freshmen, everyone is looking to make friends. If you do not introduce yourself in the beginning, things may become awkward. Even if you are a shy person, try stepping out of your comfort zone. Hang out with your roommates, talk to the people on your floor and the people you sit near in class. College is the best time to talk with people your own age and experience new things. Do not be afraid, because everyone is a little nervous.

I love the activites they do offer for students. I enjoy going to Zumba, Powerhouse, soccer games, coffee house, and I love having dances both on and off campus so often!

Honestly, the most frustrating thing is probably the fact that you are required to get a meal plan when living in a dorm.

Joel

My biggest piece of advice would be to really research the program you are going into. Don't just pick a school because you like their football team or even just the feel of the campus. Find the cheapest school that is going to challenge you and that also has a reputation that will land you a job. In high school its hard to see the consequences of your college choice, but they are very real. It is importnat to think as an adult when making this choice. In addition, I'd recommend getting involved in the community you are based in. I volunteer in inner city Harrisburg and it is the most rewarding experience I've had in college and is great networking. Try to get off campus into the real world as much as possible. I promise you will not regret it.

Someone who wants to do alot of drinking. Also, I know many homosexual students feel uncomfortable here, unfortunately. The students are supportive of this community but the donors and thus the administration is not so much.

Phyllis

As a high school senior, i will advice myself to plan ahead of time to get the resources and finace that i need to go to college. I will do this by getting a part-time job during my junior year of high school so that i can have some money save for college. I will also advise myself to never wast time, not to be afriad to go to college. I will also advice myself to work hard, never give up, and belive in myself. I will also advise myself it is a good thing to go to college. it will bring me more opportunity, great future in life. I will also advise myself once i have an education , it will be with me for life and no one can take it away from me. I will also ask of school reimbursement at my job so it can help pay for my school. I will also advise myself to research alot of schools to see which programs the school offer. I will also advise myself to do volunteer work either in the hospital, or community that can help pay for college.

Jarrett

A Christ-centered learning environment that draws people who desire to grow in their faith, discern their profession, and nurture relations for life.

There is no need to worry because all incoming students are in the same boat, clueless regarding what is going on and what to expect. Further, when you transition into college life, you are not alone because vulnerability builds relations and creates community. It is important to be humble, open up and not be so guarded. Ask questions; do not try to figure everything out on your own. Embrace each opportunity that knocks at your door, enjoy these four years to the fullest because college is a once in a lifetime experience. Nurture relationships with professors and friends. Above all, fully appreciate this blessing and work diligently because not all individuals can attend college. A higher education is a privilege and with every privilege comes a responsibility. Take ownership for your decisions and make a positive difference in our world.

I wished that I had known more regarding the social climate and activities. Located in a rural area, the entertainment opportunities are limited and students primarily need to create their own fun. A student led board does their best to bring in live music, but these events are not frequent enough. Therefore, students support the seasonal sports teams or gather in smaller groups to jam, play cards, and fellowship. A car makes a great difference and gives the student the freedom to enjoy off-site venues.

Lisa

I'd tell myself to try to make my experience fun but productive and directed toward some area they are truly interested in, no matter what other people may think. To try to end high school with as few bad memories and trauma as possible. I'd explain to myself what happened to me and how I finally was able to rise above the bad times but that because of my bad decisions some experiences will stick with me forever. Standing up to what they believe in and what they know is right because they can't wait for someone else to do the right thing. I'd tell them to take initiative, do their best, speak up for what they need and stick with the winners. Really, stick with the winners. Find an activity that they really love and don't let themselves get bored. Keep it interesting, whatever that means for them and make sure to take care of themselves before trying to save everyone else. Life is hard so get used to it. Go into life knowing this and figure out a way to make life as enjoyable as possible during the times it's not hard.

Melody

Never believe that you already know the answer. It's easy to get fired up and form an opinion once you encounter that first liberal professor. Sit back and take everything in. Listen before speaking. You can't have an open mind without seriously considering another viewpoint and then reflecting on your own. A degree will get you a career, but an open mind will take you places.

I wish I had known how focused Messiah is on sprituality AND intellect. I feel that Messiah does not intend to sugarcoat things or indoctrinate me with a certain agenda. I had assumed that I wouldn't be getting a "real" education at a Christian college, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was only required to take 2 Christian classes, and they both actually opened my mind, rather than forcing things down my throat and making me more narrow-minded. I appreciate Messiah for its efforts to maintain a Christian campus while delivering an education on par with secular schools.

The pressure to find a "click" is very discouraging . The school does not make it very easy to sit alone - especially in the dining hall or at chapel. Chapel being forced (24 chapels a semester) is also miserable.

Messiah College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.