Methodist University

« See more reviews of Methodist University

Advice to self two years ago: Self determination and setting a long-term goal. As a high school senior you had seen a lot, since the beginning of high school you felt overwhelmed and worn out. Not necessarily because of the work, but because of your ever changing life around you. Come on, you moved every single year during your high school experience! You met amazing people, and learned some of the most important things about life. But it is nothing until you get to college. College translates into one meaning as a young adult..."Freedom." You know what freedom felt like early on, but nothing can prepare you mentally for the first two years as a college student. You have to be prolific in your college life. You will learn that setting your goals and showing self determination will get you far. College is a wakeup call alright, and it strives for you to make decisions on your own that WILL impact your future. People can tell you over and over till they are blue in the face, but if you don't actually do things yourself, it will never be done and you will never learn your priorities.

Finding the right college is so important for everyone. It's important to know what school has a particular major and/or minor and what extra-curricular activities are available for more of a hands-on experience in the desired field. That, I think, is the easiest part. Making the most of one's college experience should be easy but honestly it is not. Every student wants to fit in or feel like they belong. He or she will get involved with a group of people, for some good and bad reasons. The most important thing is to find a group of friends that one has similar interests but at the same time remain focused on school and anything else he deems important ie religion, family, or work. Keeping a positive attitude each and everyday will only make things better for the student. There will be bad days, and of course good ones, but as long the student remembers why he or she is here, they can get pass the "in-crowd", peer pressure, and the bad roomate who gets up before 7 every morning...they will see the bigger picture and be happy with their daily choices.

Tour several colleges and universities of your choice. Attend the place that best suits the student's wants and needs. Choose a school that offers a major that interests you. Be mindful that college is expensive, so try to choose a place that you can see yourself attending for the next few years. Once your college career starts, get involved in extra-curricular activities, whether it be Greek Life, clubs, organizations, study groups, student government, or sports. Although it may seem difficult at first, try new things and step outside of your comfort zone. Sometimes the most unpredictable experiences lead to the best experiences and opportunities, and possibly lessons learned. Take advantage of the staff at places such as career services and tutoring services, besides your college tuition is paying for it whether you use it or not. Most of all, when choosing a college and beginning your college experience, remember that the next few years are what is preparing you for your future. Study, learn, meet new people, try new things, and have fun!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the most important thing I would stress is to do your research on the schools your looking at. Look at other schools that have the major your looking for; do not put all your faith into one school. One of my biggest regrets is that I did not look at very many schools when deciding which school I wanted to go to, which resulted in a poor decision that landed me in a lot of debt. Other important advice I would give: -Search for as many scholarships as possible outside of the school provided scholarships. It's free money, do your research! -Save up as much money as possible before you leave for school, so you do not have to worry about working during school and you can focus on your school work. -Do not change yourself to fit into a group of people at school. It is important to stay true to yourself -Always call your mother! She's your biggest supporter -Find a group of friends that share common interest and keep them close -Put school work as the first priority

Do not be so nervous about college. You are gonna do great. Study hard, but make sure you have time to do the things you love as well. Find a few clubs on campus that you are really interested in joining. They will make college so much more enjoyable for you. Make sure you always get your homework done on time so that you are not stressed out nearly as much. Set some goals for yourself. Your grades are important to you, but do not let them control your life. Study and do well in your classes, but do not freak out if you get a B on a test. It is okay. Meet as many people as you can, but make sure you also find that close group of friends as well. They will help you get through everything. Go on some adventures. Try things you never thought you would before. You may surprise yourself. You have a lot going for you. Do not give up. Remember the importance of perseverance in your life. If something does not happen the way you expect the first time, just keep going. Kid, you will move mountains.

Students and parents my advice to you on choosing the "right" college for you would be as follows. Do your homework, select a school that will accommodate your indivdual needs. There are many schools out there and many of these schools tend to make great promises to incoming students. If you are an individual who does not do well in a large group enviroment, then research the smaller schools that fit your needs. Research the climate and visit 2 or 3 of these interested schools. Climate can definitely be an issue. Sometimes students from the south think thats it great to go to a school in the north, until they get there and have a difficult time adjusting to the weather, this also goes for the students from the north, summer in the south can at times be brutial.Also, take into consideration the distance away from your family, family support is extremely important. In conclusion, I suggest again to plan and research the right school for your academic, social, and financial needs.

If i could talk to myself in Highschool i would go all the way back to the summer going into 9th grade and tell myself to start looking for grants and other ways to pay for school and to study the work not look over it because it was easy. I would tell myself that i will go through a lot of hard times but i am capabile of pushing past them with ease and the good times will over come the bad i just have to be patient. I would defently tell myself to play football instead of just basketball baseball and soccer, i wish now that i would have at least tried it. College is very expensive and we need help, Papa wont always be here for us he will pass away after your first year in college before he could finish paying for the school. If you can prepare your self for that unexpected tragedy andf have a back up plan to pay for school you will make it in life, if you dont you will be siting here applying for loans to get the money for school like me not knowing if you will make it.

The best advice I could give a parent and a student is to realize what kind of person they are before they choose where to go to college. If the student is very independent and responsible, then they may want to look at going away for school right away. If they tend to be less independent or not so responsible, then maybe a school close to home would better suite them until they feel ready to do it on their own. Sometimes being close to home is the best recipe for success. It is also very wise to start deciding on what type of school the student may want to attend. If they are aware of what career they would like to pursue then that makes it very easy of what schools to start looking at. If the student, who is probably like the majority and has no idea, then visiting campuses is probably the best bet to finding one that fits just right. So again, the best advice would be to realize what kind of person the student is and tailor their choice of a school to fit them.

well its so different from high school, and you have to adjust quick. I think what I have gotten out of the "college experience" was "experience" itself. Knowing the opperations of how things work. All of your classes arent one after the other like high school too. You have more freedom and time, but with that also comes more responsibility regarding to one's work and other etra curricular activities. The thing that won me over though is that college and high school might be different but when I first stept on Methodist campus, I had a strange feeling like i was home and as i toured the campus it felt like more and more like I am ment to be here. I hope that I can get a work study at school when I attend, because America being in a recession and me never having a job, I believe that having a work study will make me much more responsible and I will be more ready for the work field after college and know what its like looking for a job.

There is no reason to spend your time worrying! I too felt like college would be a greuling experience, but instead it was a time for me to grow. Yes, growing does sometimes come with growing pains, but wouldn't you rather grow up around people who are experienceing the exact same growing pains and emotions as you? I know, that can be a hard question to answer, and I know I would have been afraid to answer it when I was having to face a university for the first time myself. I have found one of the most amazing things in life is no matter how alone you feel, you are never truly alone...feeling alone is a perception that we have made for ourself. What I mean is this: no matter how alone or stressed you feel, there is always someone else around you expereincing the same things. Never feel like your problems are too big to overcome, because someone else has overcome them just the same as you will overcome yours! Stay strong! You can do it!